Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: July Daily Weather,Part II Have some lemonade!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 216, Views: 1,412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5252356

Howdy all,
We were getting a little long for those poor souls that still have dial-up.
Everyone's garden are a poppin now and this is a good place for you to let us know what your weather is and show is your gardens.
84.7 F / 29 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009.0 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 85 F / 30 C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
Although they didn't predict showers this afternoon I believe the pressure falling might signal a shower.
Here is how my point is planted;
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5252385

Wow. Pretty collection.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5252508

Beautiful, Sidney! I love all the different types of coleus!
I couldn't access Gary's website either, Sharon. Do you have it checked for public viewing?
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5252513

Sidney: Beautiful coleus, as always!
EB: Love your "in progress" garden.

Marsue: The purple flower is Lisianthus. And may I say, you're looking lovely! I have some of Kiska's
"icycles" hanging in my kitchen window.
Sharon: Callibrachoa are often tagged "Mini Petunia". The also tag them for full sun, but if you ever try
them, I highly recommend some shade. Glad to here Gary's home.

Rann: Beautiful photo of Tlknafjrur. Hope you get your "getaway" soon! (You, too Sharon!)

Yesterday was very sticky. Don't know what the humidity was, but it felt like 90%. Much better today and it was wonderfully cool early this morning at 69F! of course, now it's 88, on the way to 93 or so. No rain in the forecast, but I'm still blissed over the 1.5" during the week. :)

Here are my pups, helping me spot birds at the feeders this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5252527

Try this link...hmmm
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/garyrandolph
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5252594

That link above worked for me, Sharon. I signed Gary's guestbook, too.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 13, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5252651

Sharon, I'll try to sign Gary's guestbook tomorrow.
Thank you all for such nice words. Greta pictures everyone! It's been very hot these days and we had to work so hard in cleaning the yard of the concrete pieces ...now it's done and clean. We have begun moving in , a few boxes a time.
This is our yard now.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 13, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5252701

E_B, forgot to answer you : yes, I've lived in this building since I was 3 !
I took this picture yesterday morning. They have many sunflower fields next to the village we are going to move in and they are blooming .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 13, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5252707

A closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5252909

Just beautiful, Adina! What a sight! LOL

Sharon, the link worked. Thanks.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5253257

Rann, I wish that I could send you some sunny days. We get around 330 a year. I'd be willing to share some.

Adina, I love the sunflowers.

It's that time of year when the weather is the same day after day after day after day.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 13, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Few 9000 ft / 2743 m
Scattered Clouds 18000 ft / 5486 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today we went to Solstice Canyon park. It was closed last fall after the fire and reopened a couple weeks ago. I was curious to see what had changed. I knew that the TRW buildings had burned down. They were just small office buildings and hadn't been used by TRW in years but last year it looked like someone was living in one of them. (Probably because of the high cost of housing around here, if a park property comes with inhabitable buildings, they are used for ranger residences.)

Here is an oak tree that was not affected by the fire. It was very impressive in real life.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5253287

Here is a creek with water in it. I suppose it sounds redundant that I call it a creek with water in it, but we have a lot of creeks around here with no water in them. The fire must have come through here with a vengence. A lot of these trees appear to be dead. The sycamores and oaks weathered the fire all right, but the alders didn't.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5253307

Now for something a little different. This is what remains of the Keller House. It is old. It seems that I read something somewhere that said that it was built in the 1860s, but I can't find any information now. Anyway, this house had been used as a ranger residence and burned down last fall. It seems that everything in the Santa Monica Mountains will end in fire some day.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5253329

Obviously a lot of debris had to have been removed after the fire, but notice that they left the skillets on the fireplace mantle.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5253351

This would have been the front of the house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5253472

Here are some of the remains of Tropical Terrace. This was a house that was built in the 1950s and burned down in 1983. It appears to have been a huge, sprawling house with rooms on different levels and various terraces. Some of the landscaping plants are still alive, as you can see here. It fascinates me how these plants have survived without human assistance. The kitchen and the garage had been intact but they burned down last fall.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5253480

The house had a lot of fireplaces.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5253566

The flowers on the right are some kind of ginger.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5253576

The area on the left is where the kitchen was. The things that look like window openings are little alcoves. The stove was in one of them. The stonework in the foreground appears to have been part of pond.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5253578

sycamores and oaks

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5254934

What peaceful place that must have been.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5255028

Wow, Kelli... The remains of that house with the stonework and all of the plants is beautiful! What a shame it burned down - twice.

Adina, as usual, your photos are gorgeous! I'm excited for you about finally moving into your new house!

Rann, we have to go a long way to get to a quiet serene place like that... :-) Houston has 2.2 million people (not including the suburbs, which are numerous and growing), and is sprawled out over 600+ square miles (1,600 km). It takes a long time to get to the city limits, to say nothing of the country, and we're not in the center of town. Someday I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to live in the country again, but for right now it's not worth it to lose 3+ hours everyday with my dh that he would spend commuting to work in horrible traffic if we lived outside the city limits.

Could someone give me a link to Kiska's site? I love the photos of her glasswork. :-)

Sharon, I'll visit Gary's site. Thanks for posting it!

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
10:13 AM

Post #5256109

Thank you all for leaving encouraging words for Gary. He is thrilled to have so many people visit.
Sidney Your point is gorgeous!
Adina Wow! All those sunflowers are a sight just beautifull!
Kelli You have a lot of places to go sightseeing/hiking. Thank you for sharing with us. I cant believe the same place burned twice. Its amazing to what is left over.
Marylyn Its glasscraftbyjackie.esty.com

73.6 F / 23.1 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Both of my Brugmansias are budding!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #5256191

Heavy overcast to the point of keeping the morning dim, 71 everything is wet from a storm last night, It was not enough to Puddle in the drive so I may still need to water later.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5256201

Sharon, can you please make Kiska's site a link? I tried to go there and it took me somewhere different. :~)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #5256212

Here you go!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5962035
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5257101

Deb: your pups are adorable! Thanks for the compliment--LOL!
Adina: how exciting! You are moving and you also have a yard that is a "clean slate"--just think of the flowers you can plant there! That field of sunflowers is beautiful--do they grow them to sell the seeds?
Kelli: once again you have taken us along on another of your interesting hikes. I so enjoy learning about the different trees and flowers, etc. in your area and the photos of the burned-out houses are a reminder that the "wood, hay and stubble" will be burned up but what is built on the "rock" remains.

It was cooler yesterday due to an overcast sky and a "cool" front but today we are back to our July weather pattern: Hot and sunny
Today:
Sunny
High 89F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 49%
UV Index: 10+ Extreme
Sunrise: 6:05 AM CT
Avg. High: 91F
Record High: 107F (1980)
Tonight:
Clear
Overnight Low 64F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 71%
Sunset: 8:22 PM CT
Avg. Low: 69F
Record Low: 58F (1967)

Velvet toreador

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5257158

Good morning, everyone.

Mau, Velvet T. is very pretty. Was it you that got Disneyland? If it is, how is it doing?

Sharon, thanks for the link. Yippee, on the brugs budding!

73F with 94 for later. Gee, I wonder if it'll warm up this year at all?
Feels like: 73F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:08 AM
Sunset: 8:57 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5257250

Good morning, Celia. No, I didn't get Disneyland I went looking for one back in February. We came home with a dozen roses from HD that day but they didn't have Disneyland. I'm going to try to get one for next season. Monty says "PUHLEEZ, I'm a guy! No roses in the hair!" LOL How come your UV index is so low--you are much closer to the sun than I am!!????
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5257259

kwanjin, That cat does not look any happier than the "hillbilly" cats here - careful when handling!

86 bright blue skies.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5257275

LOL Monty is a good sport, though. He sat there until it fell off on it's own.

Our UV Index is funny; I don't get how it works. We should all be on fire by now.

My Iceberg is history. (sniff)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5257292

You had an Iceberg? IN Utah? What are the GPS cord? This I gotta see! If your cat needs lessons on how to be a proper "hillbilly" send it on down & my cats will teach it quickly.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5257335

ROTFLOL Dyson!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5257654

Yeah, me too, Dyson!!

Celia, your last pic wouldn't enlarge. I really can't tell what Monty is into--but it looks like he has an awful lot of paperwork to tend to! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5257672

He was going through the files for us.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5257701

files? all the hillbilly cats go through are flys maybe I need new cats,
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5257817

Ahh, Dyson, you are just too, too funny!!!
Celia, you are going to have to give Monty a vacation--he is working far too hard!! LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5257847

LOL! - Monty are they picking onyou? Come on down to Auntie Sharon's! I'll give your lots of snurffles and belly kisses!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5257913

He says he's ready for belly rubs!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5258010

Ahh, the life of a cat!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5258031

Henry is not happy with me aweing over Monty.
Bright, white and muggy.
Gonna Dance.
Sidney
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5258474

Hi guys:
Just checking in from work. HHH today for sure, but there are some dark clouds off to the west that just may make it to my neighborhood.

Celia: Love the pics of Monty.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5259455

There is no wind. The air is heavy. It's just HHHx10 :P

81.1 F / 27.3 C
Thunderstorm
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 85 F / 30 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 4900 ft / 1493 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening...then partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall in the evening. Low 72. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

What is this?

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5259492

Those dark clouds were very cooperative and we got and inch of rain!
Sharon: Anything there yet? I recognize that plant, but the name escapes me. Happens alot these days. :)
Deb
(Blue Angel hosta)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5260249

WOW, we got rain too!. Yesterday was HHH here in Pa. We had got 1/4" of rain in my area since June 4th, even though places 20 miles away got rain - we got nothing. Yesterday afternoon and evening we had one cloudburst after another. Added up to 1" in the rain gage. Today was sunny, 90 degs and a light breeze. Plants and weeds are jumping.

Our three cucumber plants were dropping little yellow cucumbers off on the ground. Now maybe we will get some.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5260430

Sharon, thanks for the link. How did the meeting go with the doctors? And how is Gary feeling today?

Marilyn, that rose is beautiful!!

Celia, Monty is a gorgeous cat. Our silly boys haven't "helped" with the files yet... One of them LOVES ripping holes in the bags that hold our packing peanuts, though, and makes a huge mess. We don't want them to swallow the styrofoam, so we keep cleaning it up over and over and over... We've moved the bags out of his reach (or so we thought!), but the silly cat actually moves them back to a more convenient spot for himself. They're going out to the garage tonight!

Sharon, I have no idea what that is, but it's beautiful! The flower heads are kinda like my clerodendrum bungei, but the color is wrong. (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1253/) Maybe yours is something else in the clerodendrum/verbena/lantana family? (I'm probably completely wrong, though... ^_^)

I'm glad you're finally getting regular rain, Deb!!

I'm pooped... This has been a crazy week at our church! We have Vacation Bible School next week, so I've been helping make the scenery for the different rooms. I don't do the fancy painting, or anything that actually needs an artistic eye.. I stank at art in school! Mostly I've been wielding a staple gun. LOL Our curriculum has a beach theme, so I've been stapling some really cool reed fencing stuff to wood frames to make some "beach huts". I need to ask the lady who came up with all of these cool ideas where she got the fencing.

Last Wednesday we had a huge storm come though, and the gutters at church backed up and dumped hundreds of gallons of water into the offices and down the walls into the nursery area. Yikes! Several of the office computers are toast, and lots of wallboard and carpets, and ceiling tiles needs to be replaced. On Thursday morning, when I arrived to start helping with the VBS scenery, there were 3 truck-load of people from a flood/mold remediation place, cleaning up the water, ripping off the ... umm.. that plastic edging stuff that goes along the wall at foot level... what's it called??... and drilling holes in the wallboard to let the water out, and setting up tons of hugs fans and dehumidifiers. What a mess... I was at church again Saturday morning helping clean and sanitize the toys in the preschool rooms so they could be used on Sunday. After church Sunday, all of the shelves of toys got pushed to the middle of the rooms and covered with plastic sheets so they wouldn't get dirty again when the crew comes in this week to replace the wallboard and insulation from the walls that got wet. Our building is only a year old... It turns out the gutters were designed wrong. :-( Our insurance is going to cover some of the cost of all fo the repairs, but there is a $72,000 deductible. OUCH! The good part of it all, is that it happened during the day while people were there. One of the pastors went up on the roof (while it was still storming!) and somehow cleaned out the gutters or pulled them away from the wall... I'm not sure exactly what he did, but the "experts" who came in the next day said that if that storm had happened at night, or if Mike hadn't done his magic, the church probably would have had 2 feet of water throughout the entire building, instead of "just" a couple of inches in the office/nursery wing, the next morning, and the damage would have been much much much worse. I expect they're also going to be re-designing the gutter system!

Today I was back at church, finishing up the "beach huts." I didn't do the last panels quite right, so if I get there in time tomorrow, I'm hoping to redo them... The bunnies have a great time playing while I'm there, so this has been fun for all of us. :-) Right now they're in the bathtub, and then I expect they'll sleep VERY well tonight. LOL They spent a lot of time running up and down the stairs with some other kids today, and have definitely gotten their exercise in. We have a little playground at church, but it was pretty hot, so they didn't stay out in it very long. I'm hoping tomorrow they will be able to ride the church's trikes and scooters in the gym. Today some of the "set designers" were building a paper mache volcano in there, so the bunnies had to stay out of the way. :-)

Well... now that I've written a book, I need to get some stuff done around here. I'm a little stiff from kneeling and stapling all day, but I need to do the dishes and clean out the kitty boxes (ugh) and do some laundry, since I'm expecting to be gone most of the day again tomorrow... I'll talk to you all soon!

Oh, weather stuff, right... Things are heating in the Atlantic and the Gulf... Bertha is a tropical storm again right now, but they're expecting her to turn back into a hurricane soon. It looks like she's going to head out into the Atlantic (when she gets done turning in circles just east of Bermuda... the folks there are going to be glad when she moves along!), so keep an eye out, Rann. I don't know if she is going to go far enough north to cause trouble for you or not. There are two other "tropical waves" in the Atlantic, too, that the people at NOAA are keeping close eyes on. Keep emptying your ice trays into the oceans, everyone!!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5260467

Wow, Marylyn, so sorry to hear about the damage at your church! What a bummer!! Hope all goes well with VBS next week. You all have been working really hard to make it a success!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2008
5:18 AM

Post #5261252

How aweful that that happened to your church, Marylyn. We've had flooding at work a few times and it's a pain to get things cleaned up.

Speaking of work, I have been asked if I will change locations. I said yes, of course. Two reasons...I worked there before and know most of the people and the other? It's 4 minutes from my house as opposed to 20-40 minutes, depending on traffic/weather! I really liked working there and have missed it more than I thought.

I hope it rains tomorrow like they say. We need it.

Isis "helps" with peanuts, too!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2008 11:18 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 15, 2008
7:21 AM

Post #5261398

Marilee, I'm so sorry about what happened to your church! It's so great you helped them cleaning!
It's been hot here, 100 and now it's raining, thank God! Moving in still going on, step by step. I have a few boxes with plants and a huge sack with clothes in my car, but still we have more to move in. Yet, we could already live in the house, which will probably happen these days.
Hugs,
Adina
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2008
7:53 AM

Post #5261442

will try again, as that message went poof... The plant is a lantana. They come in many different colors & most of the colors change as the flower ages.
I have a trailing lavender one this year, but believe I prefer the regular ones.
Hadn't ever heard of a lantana until 3 or 4 years ago & now it is one of my favorites.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5261597

Im copying most of this from Jeffs entry on the CB site for Gary We received a great report this morning from Gary's doctor. His tumor marker taken last week at the hospital dropped from 10,500 to 3000. His doctor said that his response to just 3 treatments was extremely well. We start a new round of treatments Monday the 21st to continue that downward decline of his markers.Gary gained 13 lbs since last weigh in.

Deb I dont think we got any rain last night. Its too DysonDark to tell right now. Pretty Hosta!
Se_eds The rain has been going around us for the most part this year too. My little cukes keep turning yellow too.
Marylyn Im so sorry to hear of the damage to the church. Shame on Mike for taking such a risk, but its a good thing he did. Sounds like VBS is going to be lots of fun for the kids! Im not super crafty, but Michaels is on my list for everything crafts (reeds). Im pretty darn good a spray painting! LOL! I just painted my big mirror wrought iron frame black. Its beautiful used to be green. The problem with having wrought iron at the beach is rust everything rusts. The bottom part of the mirror had rust because it was by the front door.
Celia LOL at Isis! Congrats on the job!
Adina Moving is a burden, but once its done WOOOOHOOOO New House Happy Dance! LOL!
Petra Lantana is huge in our area. I have some lantana, but this looks completely different. The stems to the flower bouquet are 3 long. Ill try to get a better picture.

73.8 F / 23.2 C
Fog
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F / 23 C
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers

Patchy dense fog has developed over the area early this morning. Visibilities will be reduced to a quarter mile or less in some spots. Motorists should use low beam headlights in areas of dense fog. Conditions will improve by 9 am.

Today
Mostly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then numerous showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Here is the big mirror now. We're still in the middle of redecorating.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5261603

Here is a better picture of one of the "bouquets". I've never seen a lantana this large.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #5261715

Gonna be HHH today.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5261843

Good morning!

It's windy today, a high of 55F and mostly cloudy. The weather is lousy everywhere today so that takes care of the "summer fever" for now ;-) lol

Sharon - thanks - I've thought of you many times and said to myself I shouldn't complain! Glad to read the positive news on Gary. I'd send you some of this wind if I could - I'm sure it would do more good down there than here. We definately don't need it. It's the 4th day in a row and everything looks pretty beat up and sad outside :-(

Marsue - LOL - we can call it "summer fever" ;-)

Marylyn - so sorry about the flooding at your church. Sounds like you've been busy. Thanks about the heads up on storm ... hope it doesn't make it this far ...

Celia - congrats on the job - 4 min. away sounds ideal :-) LOL at Isis! too funny :-)

Hope you all have a great day and manage to keep cool!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #5261938

Sunny, bright blue skies, very comfortable @69 an "outside day" if there ever was one.
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5262064

The close up doesn't look like lantana hummm????? How big across are those blooms?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5262515

I think she said the flowers were 3" across? I don't know either but the leaves look wrong for lantana. Very pretty, too.

Rann, sorry you have lousy weather. Keeps the girls inside, doesn't it?

Adina, so excited for you to move in! Decorating is fun!

Sharon, Gary gained weight? That's great! Tell him Utah loves him.

66F with 94 and thunderstorms on the way this afternoon. I should make it home before it hits.
Feels like: 66F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 30%
Wind: 10 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:09 AM
Sunset: 8:57 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5263850

Sharon: that's good news about Gary. Tell him if he keeps eating those Big Macs he will for sure gain more than 13 lbs.! Your mirror is beautiful!
Celia: congrats on the job location change. Isis is hilarious! How did you ever get all that off of her? Poor kitty in the parking lot--was it a stray?
Rann: very pretty lavendar flower in that photo
Okay, I made a 3 part photo consisting of one of mine and two of Sharon's. Mine is in the middle and it is definitely a gold lantana. Sharon's photos are on either side of mine. She said the stems going up to the "bloom" were 3"-not that the bloom itself was 3" across. Mine are not more than 1 1/2 inches across at the most--more probably an inch across. Notice the difference in the leaves on mine and the leaves on hers. Hers could be some sort of hybrid. Who knows? It's a mystery! Judge for yourself--is hers a lantana or no?

edit to add: to enlarge the photo even more scroll up to the bar above the top of this page and click on the little paper icon with the word "Page" next to it and then click on zoom and then on whatever % you want to enlarge it to--the larger you make it the "fuzzier' it becomes.

Hot here today--high forecast to be 94. i worked in the flowerbeds for 3 hours this morning from about 6:30 till about 9:30. It was fairly cool before the sun got over the big oak tree in my neighbor's back yard but when the sweat started dripping off my face, it was time to come inside--LOL

This message was edited Jul 15, 2008 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5264120

Yayy, Gary!! :-) I'm so glad the news was so good!

Could it be a hydrangea, Sharon? It does look similar to a lantana, but I've never seen one with a flower head that big either, and I agree that the leaves aren't right. The leaves do look more like a hydrangea's. I couldn't find one in PlantFiles with that exact color of blooms, but there are a ton of hydrangea's listed that don't have photos. Maybe someone in the hydrangea forum would know??
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 15, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5264909

Sharon: Glad to hear Gary's good news. Maybe you should post your yellow flowered plant on the Plant Identification forum. Bet you'd get an I.D. in about 30 sec!

Rann: That's a pretty shot.

Got up to 93F today, ...and... got a brief shower around 5. Enough to cool things down to near 80. Verrrry nice.
The last few days have followed what used to be our typical summer weather pattern, with a late afternoon t-shower several days a week. That pattern totally disappeared last summer. Hope this is a sign of things to come. :)

I'm so excited that this ginger finally bloomed after 3 years, that I've posted the pic everywhere!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5264945

Rann The heat is all relative to the region we have to remember that. I would probably freeze in your heat wave! Hope those winds stop soon. That's a pretty picture!
Celia Ive passed your message on to Gary! Hes been fishing today caught a 7lb bass. We just hope this next batch of chemo is easier on him.
Marylyn I dont think its a hydrangea. Im going to have to post on the ID forum.
Deb Your ginger is gorgeous!

82.6 F / 28.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 74 F / 23 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/hfrom the ENE
Wind Gust: 9.0 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012.4 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 89 F / 31 C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3300 ft / 1005 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Hey Dyson - Our elevation went back to 20' - LOL!

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 76 (ugh). Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

No rain again...I just watered the plants again. Here is another shot of the bouquet a different color though. I really like the color of this one!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2008 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5265257

And we have a winner! It's Ixora!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=images%20of%20ixora&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5265758

Wow. Good to finally know. I'll have top look that one up in PlantFiles.

Mau, I don't know if the kitten was a stray or not. He looked well fed and was not afraid of us. He/she was outside seeing us off at the air museum in Oregon. We got the peanuts off Isis with a wet paper towel. She DID NOT like it! She jumped in an open box and couldn't get out. Of course, I grabbed the camera before helping her out. LOL

Ginger flowers are very pretty, aren't they, Sharon and Deb?

Ir's cloudy and hot out now. Maybe we'll get that rain they promised us last weekend. We need it badly because the air quality is aweful. They keep saying that if you don't need to drive, don't. People with respiratory problems should stay indoors.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2008 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5267147

Celia - I am cracking up at the frogs! I have whimsical frogs around the inside and out of the house.

76.3 F / 24.6 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 98% {{{whimper- this is going to be a really bad hair day}}}
Dew Point: 76 F / 24 C
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the afternoon. High 88. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

NOID rose budding again YAY - I haven't killed it! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #5267236

Gonna be HHH. Heat index will be close to a hundred if not at least that.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5267570

Good morning! I stayed up way too late last night, watching the All Star game. Kelli, the Dodgers' catcher is AWESOME!!! I was sorry the National League lost for several reasons, but one of them was that he deserved the MVP award!

Sharon, I've heard the name Ixora, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one before. They're gorgeous!

We took the day off from helping at church yesterday. I got the little bunny up in morning and said, "We're going to play at church!" in my perkiest voice, and she said, "Noooooo!" So I thought maybe we needed a break. LOL We had library books due this week anyway, so we hung out at home in the morning and went to the library in the afternoon, and had a good time. :-) We'll go back to church today.

Our humidity is almost as high as Sharon's, but we only have a 20% chance of rain. The high is going to be in the mid 90s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (37 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 30.06 in 1018.1 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0F / 26.1C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5267844

Gary is back at his "base" weight 200lbs! YAY!! Remember he is 6'5"...he's a big boy! LOL!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5267920

Good morning!

The weather's really nice today - the wind has finally stopped, only a light breeze now :-) It was sunny this morning, but has clouded up a bit now. High around 60F. No complaints here :-)

Sharon - those Ixias are gorgeous - I like both colors :-) And that rose is pretty too!

Debi - that ginger is gorgeous! How exciting to get flowers after such a long wait! :-)

Celia - those frogs are hilarious! lol The girls are inside no matter what the weather's like these days. I can't seem to get them to play outside ... it's either too wet, too windy, too cold, too warm, too sunny ... sigh. lol

Marylyn - sounds like you and your bunnies had a great day at home yesterday :-)

Fra loves being outside these days - especially in the evenings Unfortunately she's taken a liking to my annuals ... seems that if it's planted in a flower box it's fair game to her ...

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5268489

Sharon, your rose is a very pretty color. The frogs were just too good a shot to pass up. I think it turned out pretty good for two moving cars! LOL

Yea!!!! Gary must happier, yes?

Ohhhhh...Fria is so cute!

Marylyn, what YOUR bunny said about church is how I feel this morning about work! LOL I so don't want to go today. It's one of those sitting-in-meetings-all-day days.

77F with 93 later. No rain yesterday. Maybe today? Please?
Feels like: 77F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 36%
Wind: 11 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:10 AM
Sunset: 8:56 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5269249

I spent an hour and a half watering this morning. Here's the weather--gotta run--off to visit some relatives who are in the area visiting. I'll be back later to comment. Glad Gary's weight is back to normal, Sharon!

Today:
Sunny
High 91F
Precip 0%
Wind: E 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 42%
Sunrise: 6:06 AM CT
Record High: 108F (1980)
Clear Overnight
Low 66F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 7 mph
Sunset: 8:21 PM CT
Record Low: 57F (1990)

Gypsy, this morning

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 16, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5269312

Been busy catching up w/you all. New thread and all, lots has happened and I see that Adina, you're moving in~that's great.
10am; 58*; rain in the forecast; again.
Sugarweed~they look so pretty; I didn't get to weezingreens this visit to Seward, but did get to her place last year. Very nice set-up she has and was so generous w/time and starts.
Thanks for the nice comments/photos, as to the glass craft. And, thanks, too, Sharon, for the web site address. For more info, please feel free to d-mail me.
Kelli; loved the old home pics.
MySharona~so glad Gary has good news and is gaining weight. Will you be coming up later this summer?
MarylynT_X~sounds like a good day you've had. Some days you just need that.
rann~the bunny is so cute~the girls must love playing/caring for him.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5270804

Kiska: That all seems like VERY good advice! :)
Sharon: Nice photo of your NOID rose!
Rann: How do you pronounce Fra??

We ony had one "H" today, just Hot. Humidity was blissfully low - so much so that when I stepped into the shade, it actualy felt cooler. That's pretty rare! 50% chance of rain tomorrow. Yay!!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5270825

Fishing in bear country - Yikes!

Looks, like a hairstreak, Deb, in case you didn't already know.

Marylyn, Russell Martin is probably my favorite Dodger. I wanted the National League to win, too. If the Angels make it to the World Series, they don't need home field advantage. The Red Sox need it more and I don't want them to win the World Series again.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 16, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1014 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

We went hiking today. It was hot, but I needed the exercise. We went to a place where I had noticed before that the flowers were behind (blooming later) than in other places, and sure enough, there were still some left. You've seen these species before, but at the risk of boring you, I'll show you again.

scarlet larkspur

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5270831

Plummer mariposa lily

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5270839

Indian pink - Most of the red flowers are from species that bloom late in the season. I haven't figured out why.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5270894

turritella fossils - There seem to be two kinds of fossils in the Santa Monica Mountains - turritellas and scallops.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5270924

western tiger swallowtail - This was taken with the zoom mode so it is blurry.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5270994

Widely scattered intermittent dark @78 and Calm.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
6:39 AM

Post #5272248

Intermittent? What's lighting up once in awhile? UFOs?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5272396

Rann Fra is just lovely. She looks so sweet!
Celia Gary is glad to be home. He begins chemo next week 5 days solid. Hes not looking forward to it, but the doctors say he has responded really well to the treatments. Did you get any rain?
Marsue Hope you had a nice visit with your family. Gypsy is so pretty!
Kiska It doesnt look like well make it this year. Gary has to have chemo for a minimum of 6 months. Were going to be riding this roller coaster for a while. Were hoping for next Summer. I agree with Deb that sign says all there needs to be said about fishing and bears!
Deb Your butterfly is gorgeous!
Kelli - I always enjoy your hikes!
Celia LOL!! Maybe its the UFOs lights reflecting off your iceberg! LOL!

75.2 F / 24.0 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 82%
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Few 500 ft / 152 m
Mostly Cloudy 2200 ft / 670 m
Overcast 4800 ft / 1463

Today
Showers and thunderstorms likely in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon with locally heavy rainfall possible. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

I poked my head out the back door this morning and saw that we've had rain over night. I can't tell how much, but we're in for more off and on today (crossing fingers). The plants and lawn are loving it! The temps were really pleasant last night, not hot and not humid, some light breezes. Gosh it was nice and totally unusual for this time of year. Normally it's so miserable you can't stand to be out in it. We do seem to have a large number of mosquitos again this year.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5273130

Sharon, that could be it! LOL

No rain. I take that back. I had about 6 drops on my windshield on my way home last night.

68F with 94 again. I should just copy and paste for the next couple of weeks.
Feels like: 68F

Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 11 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:11 AM
Sunset: 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5273207

We had some rain yesterday, which was great. It isn't supposed to rain today, but we'll be back to our normal 20% chance tomorrow. Highs in the 90s... Just ditto. :-)

We were at church again yesterday and the VBS props are all coming along very nicely. I need to bring my camera today. I think we're done actually making most of the props... Now we need to get them set up in the rooms. Our pastor is going to be preaching in front of a HUGE volcano backdrop on Sunday. Fortunately he thinks that's pretty cool. LOL We're borrowing some live plants, including some Queen Palms, from a wholesale nursery, and they'll arrive on Saturday. That's going to be awesome! Sharon, they're bringing some Ixora, too. I might ask how much they cost, if they will sell them after it's over... Yours is so pretty!

Kelli, your pictures are never ever boring. The fossils are very neat!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 72.0F / 22.2C
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 17, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5273821

Great photos, everyone--love the butterflies, Deb and Kelli!
Pretty bunny, Rann--I can't figure out how to make the 4th letter in its name, though.
Kiska, I would rather buy my supper than BE supper for a bear while I was trying to catch mine! LOL
Sharon, your squirrel appears to be well-fed.
Pretty flower, Celia.

Currently 85 and sunny. Heading for a forecast high of 94. Typical July in the south.

Sunrise this morning

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jul 17, 2008 11:06 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5273913

HOT! sunny bright.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 17, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5274245

Good morning~
Sure not hot, sunny nor bright today. Glad it's that way for you, Dyson. Better than intermittent light?
51, raining but no wind.
What a gorgeous sunrise, marsue.
DebinSC~down to just one H~sounds like a nice day you're having. Lots of bear encounters this year; even in Anchorage. Luckily, none for me.
MySharona~the news sounds good w/the treatments for Gary. Hope to see you next year.
Marylyn~speaking of volcanoes, there's one that's erupted, last Saturday, and continues to spew gasses/some ash. It's out on the Aleutian Chain and the family that lived there, was evacuated.
kwanjin~same for here; copy and paste pretty much covers this summer's weather report. So few "nice" days and now, it's winding down.
kelli~love the interesting places you go and the things you find to share.
Monday; along Turnagain Arm; about 70 miles from Palmer. The fireweed is blooming~the blossoms are used in honey/jelly.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5275659

79.3 F / 26.3 C HUH????? Feels like Spring outside!
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Few 800 ft / 243 m
Scattered Clouds 2800 ft / 853 m
Scattered Clouds 4600 ft / 1402 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m

Now
Through 645 PM...numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms will be continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving southwest to west at 10 15 mph. The heaviest showers will move into areas near...Jacksonville Airport...Lake City...Dowling Park...Obrien...Cross Creek and Ocala. Expect ...Brief gusty winds...heavy downpours of rain and cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity. Heavy rainfall will cause flooding of low lying areas and ponding water on roadways.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms in the early evening...then scattered showers after midnight. Locally heavy rainfall early in the evening. Low 72. North winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

I sat out back for about an hour this evening, read some (Robert Ludlum The Janson Directive), had a small glass of wine --- just chillin'! I really should have been weeding, but I just wanted to sit and enjoy the breeze, low humidity and low temps. It was so nice.

Wide Load

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5275666

Mama Cardinal and her baby

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 18, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5276161

Sounds wonderful, MySharona; time to take the time for just that bit of relaxation. Love your pics and the look of the cooler weather there.
55 and not raining too much.
The boardwalk at Potter Marsh; Anchorage.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5276313

HHH and the sun was so bright it just sapped all the energy outta me today.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5276961

The baby is bigger than the Mama Cardinal and the mother cardinals fed every bite to that big baby. I really miss them.
Well it rained last night and a long time today and we are thanking a 'Tropical gift' twirling to the East.
I got 2.2" rain according to my new fairly good water gauge. The gauge came from an electric co-op in Texas. That always makes me smile as my DGM always had 'Co-op stuff' around. She never failed to win a door prize.
Always thinking about Gary. I so feel for his bewilderment and his courage.
Supposed to rain again tomorrow.
Sidney

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 18, 2008
6:56 AM

Post #5278167

Hey, guys, love all your pics! Sorry for being away, I was so busy, came "home" late, even at 2 a.m.! We had the plumber coming over 2 days ago and he had much to do, came late and stayed until 1a.m. We sould have slept at the house , but we came to town so we can take more things in teh morning. Anyway the traffic was almost zero and we came home in less than half an hour! The house is ready to move in, almost had everything settled, even half of the plants are there! The move in date is set for Sunday, July 20. I have been taking things everyday in my car, but still have the big plants which I can't take . I'm sending a link to an album with some of the latest pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/adinamiti/Iulie?authkey=4F0zr2Sl2KI

Hugs,
Adina
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008

Post #5278345

Sidney - We've only received 1/2" of rain, but no complaints. Better than nothing at all!
Adina - I know you are so exictd to be finally moving into your new home. We are excited for you! I'll check the linkout later today.
Kiska - I'm looking forward to having some of that honey/jelly next year!

74.3 F / 23.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 600 ft / 182 m
Mostly Cloudy 5000 ft / 1524 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft / 5 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Lady Margaret. Pretty soon Boo won't have a place to sit on the end!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #5278471

It's HHH here as well, Pepper.
Glad you got some rain, sidney.
Adina, the house is looking great--love the color of paint on your walls. Your African Violets look as if they are enjoying their new home :o)) Your DH likes taking naps! (Mine does, too.)
Sharon, Lady Margaret is taking over!

Today
Sunny
High 94F
Precip 0%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 53%
Sunrise: 6:08 AM CT (We are losing daylight minutes)
Sunset: 8:20 PM CT
Record High: 106F (1980)
Clear Overnight
Low 72F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
Record Low: 59F (1976)

My red crepe myrtle looks more "watermelon" to me.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5279868

Mmm...watermelon...

Only have a minute but I wanted to tell you, Adina, I think your house is awesome! I'm a little jealous, it's so pretty!

That little squirrel really is a wide load! LOL

82F with 96 and I'll be inside for all of it. Dang!
Feels like: 82F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 43
Humidity: 25%
Wind: 7 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:12 AM
Sunset: 8:55 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5279955

Wide Load is a regular at the feeders!

Now
Through 130 PM...showers will continue to move inland from the coastal waters bring light rain into Jacksonville Beach...Fernandina Beach Amelia Island. Most of the showers are light. The showers will become heavier this afternoon and will move south at 15 miles an hour.

76.1 F / 24.5 C
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 800 ft / 243 m
Overcast 1600 ft / 487 m

We're only 2* warmer than this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 18, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5281760

The thermometer must be broken at the Van Nuys Airport. It's got to be at least 92F out there.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 18, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.79 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 F / 30 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
(Above Ground Level)

We went hiking today. Man, it was hot. I was able to wring sweat out of my underwear. I don't know when it rained last. Was it March or April? If we're lucky, only 3 more dry months to go.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 18, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5282017

52*F~ rain but becoming brighter as the clouds and fog are lifting. High of 59F forecast. It's 3pm now, wonder if it will get up to 59?
Rise: 4:51 AM SET:11:11 PM
Length Of Visible Light: 21h 19m

MySharona~ will save a jar of honey for you:) Boo looks as if he is going to run out of room; very precarious perch there.
kelli~how do you get out and hike in the hot weather? Very glad you do, though, love what you see.
Adina~ the house is beautiful and it's been wonderful to see it being built.
marsue~watermelon or red- it's very pretty.
kwanjin~hope you've had a good day, indoors or not.

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5282521

Hi everyone!

I finally got a mini-getaway yesterday ! :-) The car was fixed on Wendesday and yesterday morning I decided to take the girls on an overnight trip. We went to an island off the west coast in the bay of Breiafjrur called Flatey (meaning Flat Island). It was wonderful. It was sunny both days but unfortunately a bit too breezy for comfort. We still had a great time! And I'm at peace for now ;-) lol

Here's one photo - I'll post more tomorrow :-) This is the village. The island is an amazing place - it's like going back a 100 years. Total peace and tranquility and time stands still. There's not even a store there, no TV, only one car for carrying luggage to the hotel and a few tractors ... quite an experience :-)

Thanks for the comments on our bunny Fra (pron. Freetha, soft "th" like in "this") she's a real sweety :-)

I'm off to bed, I'm pretty beat. It was a 3 hour car ride plus 1 1/2 hour by ferry to get there and the same to get home today ...

Have a good night all :-)

Rann

This message was edited Jul 19, 2008 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5282561

Rann: Looks like a great place for a getaway. Glad you got to go!

Currently 75F. Rained off and on all day today. Long time since that's happened. L-o-v-e i-t!!

Definitely a triple-H day, though. Humidity 92%.
Deb
milletia reticulata (evergreen Wisteria) just beginning to bloom.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5282716

Kiska, if they are calling for the temperature to be above 90F, I don't go hiking. At this time of year, we go in the morning, but not early. I don't do early.

In the distance, there is fog coming off of the ocean, but there was no fog where we were. It looks overcast in the picture, but the sun was pouring down. Believe me.

Wildflower season is over except for a few stragglers here and there. It is now fall and winter for most wild plants.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5284508

Everybodies pics are very pretty.

Rann, glad you and the girls got to have your little get-away. Sounds like fun.

Sharon, what is that? It looks familiar but I can't place it. Very pretty.

Deb, your wisteria is VERY pretty. I wonder if they'll grow here.

Kiska, always a pleasure to see your pics. Makes me want to visit there, too. My youngest brother took his honeymoon in AK.

Kelli, nice. I do early but I don't do it well. LOL I'm much better at late.

67F with 98 for later.
Feels like: 67F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 43
Humidity: 42%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:12 AM
Sunset: 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5286140

I do early quite well and always have. I don't do late.
I rarely slept past 8 a.m. when I was a teen and I considered that to be late! Not typical, I know, but that's me.
Very picturesque village, Rann! Glad you and the girls were able to get away, if only for a day or so.
Kelli; it even looks hot in that photo--at least to me!
What's that flower with the "stickers" on the leaves, Celia?
Nice bridge shot, Kiska.
lovely evergreen wisteria, Deb.
Sharon, I am calling your squirrel "WL" -short for "wide load" LOL You named him correctly, Celia!

We have a forecast high of 97--currently it is 96
Clear Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 10%
Wind: SW 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 72%
Sunset: 8:20 PM CT
Record Low: 58F (1995)

I compared a bloom from my pink crepe myrtle to the red one. The red one is darker only still not as red as I had hoped it would be. Here's the pink one:

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5286452

Adina I just love your home! Its wonderful. DH thinks its perfect!
Marsue I love the dark pink and red crepe myrtles. They have so much more oomph than the pales.
Rann That is such a beautiful town. Im in awe : )
Deb Your Wisertia is such a deep rich color!
Kelli Fall and Winter if only
Celia That is Blue Days buds. They are pretty.

I have to say I am a morning person much to the dismay of everyone else in the house. I feel like the day is wasting away if I stay in bed too long (my back starts to hurt as well). I enjoy dusk and dawn.

86.9 F / 30.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 60%
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h / 2.4 m/s from the ENE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 93 F / 34 C
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Now
Through 500 PM...numerous showers and a few thunderstorms will move over areas from Fernandina Beach south to Talbot Island...Mayport...Jacksonville Beach and Palm Valley. The showers will be moving southeast at 10 miles an hour and will affect the nearshore waters.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 72. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Our high was 90* and felt like 300*...ooooh it's been a HHH day. Prissy barking at Prissy behind us! Yes, their dogs name is Prissy too!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5287477

Celia - I don't think the m. reticulata is hardy above about zone 7 or so.
Sharon: Your Prissy is a character!

No rain today. Guess that tropical depression is moving north. Humid with a huge, bold, capital H!!
Deb

(Just a couple of caladium. )

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5288125

I'm sorry, Deb. No plant is "just" anything. LOL Each is unique if you bothered to take a picture. Very pretty. I love caladiums. They don't like me.

Mau, the "sticker" plant is under my birdfeeder. It's safflower. I'm going to have to deadhead each one so I don't have an entire yard of them. And the next door neighbor...and his neighbor...and so on.

Prissy is so cute! She looks just like my friends' Rita.

My Yoshino Cherry is doing very well. I'm proud of her.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5288271

Celia: I love caladium, too. I have them everywhere, this summer.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5290093

HI GANG!

I've been away FAR too long!
VERY busy and there have been many new developements but I get to them later.

I need to play Ketchup w/ all that's been going on here.
Sharon you have Mail.

Here's a little eye candy from last weekend.
I'm still editing and uploading but...

http://flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157606261394656/

82 (Heat Index 86)
Dewpoint: 70 Wind: SW 6 MPH
Humidity: 67% Pressure: 30.00 in Hg
at 10 AM! YUCK!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5291025

HHH still. It appears that the real July weather has hit and is planning on staying.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5291183

Welcome back, Ric! Yes, you have been away far too long and I was just before sending a search party out for you! LOL That's a beautiful butterfly in your photo! Butterflies seem to be scarce around here these days. I only see one every now and then.
Celia, are you trying to say that the safflower is invasive? LOL
Sharon: Prissy is a good guard dog!

While out weeding on Thursday, I must have come in contact with some poison ivy, although we have none in our backyard. I now have a really good case of it on my neck, arm, etc. and let me tell you it is itching like crazy! Benadryl has become my best friend! LOL

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 96F
Precip 0%
Wind: WSW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 47%
Sunrise: 6:09 AM CT
Record High: 104F (1986)
Tonight
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 74F
Precip 10%
Wind: SW 3 mph
Sunset: 8:19 PM CT
Record Low: 53F (1997)

Here is a collage of an unusual moth which I captured with the camera while he was resting on my back porch step.

edit to add: the moth is a Curve-toothed Geometer Moth--another DGer identified it for me on another forum.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 1:46 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5291383

Rick, so glad you have returned. I love the flutterby and saved it as my desktop background.
I got 1.7 inches last night.
Just a nice slow rumbleing.
It's cloudy and I'm out for pictures and then I'm gonna dope all of it and see what that does. I kave several potter weeds and such that quit blooming. It however may be too hot. I'll know after they get ample fish emulsion.
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 95 F / 35 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m
Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
Think I best wait until the heat dies back.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5292083

Yes, invasive. LOL
Pretty butterfly and moth!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5292316

Deb I love caladiums and have quite a few around here. Theyre lovely!
Celia Is that the Cherry you planted earlier this year? Sure is pretty!
Ric So glad you are back! Thank you for the d-mail : ) Love the garden pictures and the butterfly host! WOW! What kind of butterfly is it?
Pepper I hear you the dog days are here to stay for a looong time.
Marsue Im very lucky. Im in the 13% of the population that isnt allergic to poison ivy. Im allergic to almost everything else though LOL! You moth has a tooth? Just kidding! Looks similar to the sphinx moth family that we have here.

86.0 F / 30.0 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 74 F / 23 C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5 km/hfrom the North
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 94 F / 34 C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft / 1066 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

It has been one of the most miserable days here so far. Don't want to go outside, the pets don't want to go outside. DH got it right, it's not fit for man nor beast. I did drag DH to Lowes for a little while. I was getting stir crazy. Here's my new Painted Lady!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5292451

Cardinals Daddy, Mama and 2 babies

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5292462

Cardinals Daddy feeding Mama and one baby

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 7:46 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5292601

Cardinals are so pretty. I wish we had them around here. I don't know why they don't live here. They live in the Arizona desert, so it isn't the heat.

Sharon, do you have any Native American ancestry? It is thought that a lot of Native Americans were immune to poison ivy. I seem to be immune to poison ivy. I have a tiny bit of Native American ancestry but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

It started out cloudy this morning and that has kept it from getting super hot. It is 83F here at the house but it seems hotter than that.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on July 20, 2008
80 F / 27 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1012 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8500 ft / 2590 m
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5292667

Kelli - I have minimal Cherokee in me. My oldest brother actually looks Cherokee, dark hair, dark skin, hook nose, blue eyes. I have more Irish in me. Pale, auburn, hazel eyes (green/brown), freckles, don't tan...at least I got good skin out of the deal! LOL!

Don't know why the 2nd picture didn't post. Here it is.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 8:04 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5292674

Good evening!

I just realized that I started writing this post last evening and forgot to post it ...

It was cloudy today, started out pretty calm and warm with a light cloudcover, but this afternoon the wind started up and the cloud cover is heavier with a few raindrops now and then. What's left of TS Bertha is getting closer, she will be bringing rain and wind tomorrow :-( Todays high was around 60F, it's cooled off a bit now.

It was a warm, sunny day yesterday, a bit breezy, with a high around 58F.

Marsue - your crepe myrtle is so pretty. It looks like a "must have" plant where it can be grown :-) So sorry about the poison ivy - sounds horrid!

Debi - that everygreen wisteria is so pretty :-) And the photo of the butterfly earlier was gorgeous too :-)

Kelli - gorgeous scenery as always :-) And it does look hot to me too! lol

Ric - good to see you back :-) Pretty butterfly :-)

Sharon - Prissy is so cute :-) And those cardinals too! I think I miss them and the squirrels the most from Florida ... definately don't miss the heat though! lol. Sorry it was so miserable today.

Here's a photo of the town of Stykkishlmur, where we caught the ferry. According to livesearch maps it's a 109 mile trip from Hafnarfjrur, about a 3 hour drive. It was the first time I've taken the girls on an overnight trip without DH, and the first time I've driven so far "out of town". I was pretty proud of myself actually ;-) Here's a link to a map: http://maps.live.com/#JnJ0cD1wb3MudnA4d3RmZjU0MWZrX0hhZm5hcmZqJWMzJWI2ciVjMyViMHVyJTJjK0ljZWxhbmRfX19fJTdlcG9zLnZ2YjExdGYzNHMwcF9TdHlra2lzaCVjMyViM2xtdXIlMmMrSWNlbGFuZF9fX18mcnRvcD0wJTdlMA== You can zoom in and out on the map - If you zoom in you can find Flatey out in Breiafjrur, north of Stykkishlmur. It's pretty tiny.
Have a good night,

Rann

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 12:00 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5292871

Well what a day to return.
Hot and miserable most of the day...around 90 and still air.
Then about 3 it started to build a little energy...
By 5 a storm missed us to the South and did some damage.
Sidney it was 'the Rabbit' area and just south...

Then at just before 8 the sirens started going off...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5292886

So we flipped on the local channel...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5292913

But all's well.
No Tornado, no Wind, no Hail, just a nice soaking rain...

Here's the new and improved Brickroom Pond.
We just finished it this morning.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5292926

Wow Ric, that's a beautiful pool.
;)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5292975

Great Spangled Fritillary (Speyeria cybele ) is the Butterfly I posted.
It's on a Butterfly weed...Asclepias tuberosus 'Hello Yellow'

Marsue that Curve-toothed Geometer Moth is weird!
Kinda has a Batman feel to it! lol!

Sharon I don't remember ever seeing Cardinals in FL.
Around here they are plentiful all year around.
Probably the most common winter feeder hitter here.
There are or were Cardinals in CA... but loss of habitat has about done them in...
It's a shame as on the East Coast they are extending range and numbers...

Well I'm off to edit some more pictures.
BBL
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5293279

Ric: Welcome back! Wondered where you'd got to. Love that pond.

Sharon: I seem to be immune to Poison Ivy, as well.
Marsue: Sorry you're not immune!
Kelli: I'm 1/4 Nat. American. Coincidental?

Today, it was 92F and 92% humidity. Not a great day for the outdoors! I admit, I didn't get out there much today.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5293329

Love the shamrocks!! And the lily I see peeking out. If I am thinking that's what it is.

This message was edited Jul 20, 2008 9:11 PM

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 21, 2008
7:57 AM

Post #5294642

Wow, great pics! It's been hot here too, but we've moved in yesterday and , as being out of the city, isn't that hot, actually is a little chilly at night, thank God! My mom can hardly wait to move in too! We got all inside...except for the flowers which I left on the terrace...I am exausted! Thanks to DS, everything is inside and almost at their places. Our new LCD, huge one, is on its place too, even if we found it had no cable...grrrr...lucky DS put on the computer cable and we could watch it...and DVD also, which came with the LCD...this one had cable !LOL I felt bad in the afternoon, while cooking lunch, had a few palpatations, with all the pills I took, but after I rested while watching a movie, I felt better. This morning we got late to work because I couldn't find the things I needed, they are mostly in boxes and sacks...especially the small ones. We had a good sleep on our HUGE bed and it was nice to wake up in the cold fresh air. The puppies are more sweet than ever, they already stared to eat chicken soup and they are so cute while sucking the soup with all their little heads inside the bowl. I put them bread too, but they only suck the soup and let the bread and meat to their mom. Gavrila is staying inside the yard ...oh, forgot to tell you we have gates...same we have on the balconies...the fence man said he didn't receive any money from Alex for the fence...what else are we going to find out about this man? He talked to Cici and said he will pay for the fence, but he doesn't have money now, if Cici can pay and he will pay him back...yeah, right ! No more money from us... even if we wanted to pay, we don't have any anymore, just debts! Oh, and the fence wasn't as expensive as Alex told us, but cheaper ...arrggghhh!
If I can install the laptop or can post on DS' computer tonight I will get back to you later.
Hugs,
Adina
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #5294748

Rann Thats a nice drive! You live in such a beautiful area. Its what is being touted as a staycation instead of a vacation this summer here. Since were in a recession people arent taking weeklong or longer vacations this year. The prices of everything have escalated, not just gas.
Ric Yikes thats quite a storm. No rain yesterday here. Love the pond its wonderful! Youre very talented. Yeah, Cardinals are here year round. They keep us entertained.
Deb Oooh, purple shamrocks! How unusual! Do they flower too?
Adina Good thing you got some rest after the move. The stress and heat can really take its toll on our bodies. I had to take a break too yesterday after working in the yard. Felt like a sauna all day, going to be worse today. Awww, I can just see the little puppies at the bowl! Thats so sweet. Its a shame about the fence guy not getting paid for the work. Can you report the contractor?

77.7 F / 25 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Heat Index: 80 F / 27 C
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 95. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 99 to 103.

It was 80* in Jacksonville at 5am. It's going to be 100* in Waycross, GA (North West of us). Glad I'm going to be at work and inside most of the day. Gary begins chemo again this week 5 days in a row. He had a great week last week, just ate, played PS3, helped me in the garden a little (too hot for him), fished and watched every race he could find on tv, even the re-runs! LOL!

Cherub brugmansia taken yesterday morning.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 6:04 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5295407

Good morning!

It's raining, breezy and 55F. Bertha is supposed to dump a lot of rain on us later today according to the forecast so it's a "stay inside" day today.

Sharon - we're in recession here too, so people aren't traveling as much as last summer. I think the inflation is close to 12% here now, horrible. I'm still hoping we'll be able to go somewhere when DH finally manages to take his vacation.

Adina - congrats on the move! Now you need to rest after all that hard work :-)

Ric - those are some scary looking clouds! Glad nothing bad happened. That pond is wonderful :-)

Another photo of Stykkishlmur as we were sailing out the harbor.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5295416

Leaving Stykkishlmur behind ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5295434

The girls on the observation deck - it was quite windy up there! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5295716

Cute about the puppies, Adina. I can hear it now. Slurp, slurp. slurp!

Rann, you have such fun with your girls!

We had some rain last night. Ahhhhh...cooler but muggy this morning. Still raining slightly and on and off today. Supposed to keep up until Tuesday. I hope it doesn't get too bad then. We have furniture going to the Salvation Army. It'll get soaked if it's sits too long.

Still going to be 92. Window thermometer says 72 now.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5297324

Kelli and Sharon, you both are fortunate to be immune to poison ivy. I surely do wish I was immune to it! Itching constantly is no fun at all! Hoever, I went to the doctor today and he prescribed some prednisone tablets. That's about the only thing that will get rid of it for me. It seems that the rash is not as red as it was before, so maybe the first dose is working already.
Ric: great pool. I can hear the soothing sounds of water falling gently over the stone--so peaceful.
Adina: hooray! You are all moved in. Now comes the fun part--unpacking and getting stuff put away where you want it. LOL

We are into the triple digits today! :o(( No rain in sight for the next few days, either.
Water bill is going to be high! :o((---not to mention the electricity!
It is definitely HHH here!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5297520

Oh good, Mau. I hear that's aweful. Never had it and I don't want to test if NA's have immunity or partial immunity.

I ran came home for lunch. Took me all of 4 minutes. This, as opposed to 20 minutes average it would take me at the other location.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 21, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5298129

55F~raining and gray/
Mostly cloudy with scattered showers in the morning...then rain in the afternoon. Highs in the mid to upper 50s.
Variable wind to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon.
So many wonderful pics~great to be part of this thread.
Welcome back, Ric; the pond is so nice.
Wild Lupine.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5298265

Kiska: The Lupine is so pretty.
Sharon; yes the oxalis do flower, I'll post a pic.
Adina: Ahh the joys and tribulations of moving into the new house!
Rann: The girls are adorable, as always!

We have a severe heat advisory this evening and tomorrow. (Like we couldn't figure that one out for ourselves.!)
Just had a little T-storm come through. Didn't rain much, but we take what we get. :)
Deb
(These are the flowers on the purple shamrock.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5300105

You know, Deb, before I read those were shamrock flowers, I could have sworn they were plumerias! LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2008
6:42 AM

Post #5300369

Thanks, guys! I just found out the doggies dig up , lucky I have no plants there yet!LOL The little puppies have grown and started to walk ...last night, when we were going to bed, the little fat girl was in the middle of the street , whinning...of course, I was about to go and take her back, but her mom barked and called her back...uf! Cici wants to keep Gavrila inside , but the little one, his friend with no name, comes through the fence...she is that small and thin!LOL BTW, she is the naughty one, riped off a hibiscus, just after I put it down...grrrr...I spanked her, of course and evrytime she approaches the pots with plants I tell her NO and she listens!
So, he (Cici) has nothing to do but except her too! He first wanted just a puppy, but I told him we have to keep Gavrila, he is big and scares the thieves...NOT, he is so scared when someone comes at him, poor guy...I guess he had his share of hits!But we're going to teach him to be brave, like his uncle Boss was...
I almost finished to put everything in order, even the flowers...we had a hard time finding a few things, but they came up afterall!LOL

Deb, I love the shamrock flowers and, as I told you before, find the purple leave so unusual! I have one with green leaves!
It rained cats and dogs this morning after a very hot day yesterday...still, before the rain started, at 6:00a.m. I saw the sunrise...will post the pics later! My laptop isn't connected yet...ugh!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008

Post #5300549

Rann Gorgeous pictures! The girls look a little chilled! The water is choppy is that from Bertha?
Celia What is that pretty plant with red in it? You have me beat with the 4 minute drive! It takes me 10 minutes to go to work. Well, really it depends on if I get stuck behind a tourist!
Kiska The Lupine is very pretty. Sigh 55*.
Deb Pretty blooms on the Oxalis! They do rememble the Plumeria.
Adina Poor Gavrila, you must teach him to be brave. The puppy will learn to stay away from the plants and be brave too! I can't wait to see more pictures! Pretty little bloom.

76.5 F / 24.7 C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 67 F / 19 C
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Haze through the day. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Here is my Cherub as of last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
11:20 AM

Post #5300672

Sharon: Love the color on your Cherub.
Celia: never occurred to me - the similarity between the oxalis and plumeria blooms. Of course, that whole cluster in my pic would probably fit inside one plumeria flower.
Adina: Your oxalis has lovely flowers. Very delicate. I love them.

Another heat advisory in effect today. High mid 90s, humidity 90%. Heat index 105. Yep, it's summer. :)
Deb
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5300742

Good morning!

It's cloudy, 52F and breezy this morning with a fine misty rain on and off. Bertha didn't bring much wind fortunately and not that much rain either - just a mild depression by our standards. I guess all the "wind's" out of her before she got up here ;-) lol

Sharon - thanks. It was a bit choppy but still not too bad. No one got sea sick. I was a bit worried about Selma since she's gotten car sick a few times but she was alright. She was just worried that the ferry would topple over and sink ... she tends to worry alot. lol Gorgeous Cherub bloom :-)

Debi and Adina - the shamrok flowers are very pretty.

On the island. The road from the ferry dock to the village on the other side of the island.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #5300756

Almost there! There is no shop on the island so people have to bring all their food with them. The only restaurant is at the hotel. Most of the houses are summer dwellings owned by families who used to live on the island.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #5300760

There are two farms on the island where people live year round - I think it's a total of 5-10 people. They raise sheep and they were everywhere! lol The girls tried repeatedly to get close enough to pet them, but sheep don't like to be petted. lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5300766

We went on a little excursion to explore the island after we checked into the hotel - we found this old shipwreck on the other side.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5300779

Ofcourse there is a church. There used to be about 300 people living on the island around 1900. The tiny yellow house behind the church is a library, the oldest public library in the country, built in 1864.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5300789

Inside the church.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:13 PM

Post #5300799

A close up of part of the paintings decorating the ceiling of the church, depicting life on the island.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:16 PM

Post #5300809

We had a seafood soup for dinner which was excellent and then went on an evening walk before turning in for the night.

The village in the evening sun.

Thumbnail by rannveig

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5300860

Checking in.

We had straight line winds at 5:00am yesterday. It was the same pattern as 1998. All the branches/limbs laid right beside the house. Not a window broken. All the trees that were recovered from ''98'' were torn up again. At least we didn't lose any trees. Power was out for a few hours.

Most of my flowers survived. Thankfully I never found any baby birds in my yard. Just a few nests.

We're mostly cleaned up. I dumped at least 4 wheelbarrows of walnuts from our yard and the neighbors, and we took 5 hayracks of limbs down to the dumping area Nichols provides.

We took a coffee break when the power came back on and then back to work. I didn't even have time to take pictures. It was mainly a repeat of 98, so I've got that.

Well, laundry and vacuming awaits.

Hope to get back one of these days and catch up.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5300885

Yikes, Sally!!! I'm glad you are ok!

Rann, I love your photos!

Sharon, how's Gary doing?

I need to get the bunnies dressed and off to church again. I'll check back in later. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5301694

Rann: what a picturesque place! The paintings on the church ceiling are lovely.
BP: so glad you are okay--that must have been some storm!
Sharon: how is Gary?
Deb: what a pretty purple shamrock! Our forecast is very similar to yours. It is HHH!
Today:
Isolated T-Storms
High 95F
Precip 30%
Wind: SW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 51%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:10 AM CT
Record High: 104F (1974)
Tonight:
Isolated T-Storms
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 30%
Wind: SSW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 78%
Sunset: 8:18 PM CT
Record Low: 58F (1970)

Phlox

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5301855

Rann, such a wonderful place. Puts things is perspective to know about palces other than home. I love my world trip every day!

Pretty flowers, everyone!

The plant with the red in it is the weeping peach tree. It keeps wanting to spread sideways instead of going UP! LOL

76F with 92 today. Hopefully it will rain again and cool things off. The Salvation Army just left with our old stuff. Kind of sad to see it go, we've had it so long.
Feels like: 76F

Dewpoint: 57
Humidity: 52%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:15 AM
Sunset: 8:52 PM

Safflowers. Some look like they'll be opening soon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5301928

Hot, bright, Sunny and did I mention HOT? I have been out of town for three days and nothing got watered so most is dead. But it is nothing that I am not used to. Maybe I can salvage some stuff & will try when it gets cooler this evening. I am tired.

By the way - while fuel is 3.83 a gal here - In Charleston West Va. it is 4.10. I do not know why I just know that if I go back soon I will fill up on the way, before I get there.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5302243

Two active volcanos today. Cleveland volcano, about 90 miles from Okmuk, is now erupting as well. They are out on the Aleutian Chain and are not affecting us in South Central Alaska.
50 at 9:30am; the rain has let up a bit~ remains gray w/clouds/fog covering "my mountain":)).
Today:
Cloudy with occasional light showers.
Patchy morning fog.
Highs in the mid to upper 50s. Light winds.

Adina~so nice you're settled and the pups are having fun, too.
rann~what a wonderful place to visit; looks so beautiful and, fun, too.
Sharona~so pretty; hi to Gary.
marsue~phlox looks great;
I just can't imagine working or even being in the heat~~
kwanjin~someone else will be so happy to use it~ I'm "hoping" for new furniture next year. I've not seen safflowers and look forward to them opening.
Ddson~ bright and hot~what a day/sorry about the yard; hope you can salvage some of it.
bp~glad you're ok.
Danger on the Mud flats along Turnagain Arm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5302693

I look forward to it , too, Kiska.

We got our rain. Coming down like mad right now.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5302701

The other pic was from the backyard. This is the from the front...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5302774

And the raindrops are really BIG!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5303099

wow~that's quite a downpour, kwanjin. Did it break down the flowers?

Today's State Highs:
Annette Island 60F
Klawock 60F
Hydaburg 60F
Ketchikan 59F
Adak NAS 57F
Here in Palmer it's now up to 55F
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5303220

Adina, I bet the mama dog thinks she's moved to dog heaven,
Congratulations on finally getting moved.
Rann, Celia, Deb, Marsue and Kiska I enjoyed all of your pictures.
We're having a little sputter Just got all the water emptied.
Sidney
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5303248

Celia, those are some really big raindrops! Hooray! We got a rain,too, around 1 p.m. It literally poured buckets, but we needed it. However, the petunias look rather beat down but I am sure they will bounce back. The temperature drooped 20 degrees in a matter of minutes. It is now 82 and previously on our backporch it was 100! Thank You for the rain!!
Kiska: I am definitely staying away from the Mud Flats! LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5303367

Rann What a lovely little town you visited! The church is phenomenal! How long has it been there?
Sally So glad you made it through the storm without and damage!
Marylyn & Marsue Gary is doing well. I took him today for day 2 of chemo this week. He goes 5 days in a row. No fever so far, but its my understanding that it takes about a week for symptoms to recur.
Marsue Your Phlox is popping!
Celia Another family is going to be very happy with their new furniture! HUGE raindrops!
Dyson LOL! I hope you manage to get your plants back in order.
Kiska - Hmm, stay away from the mud flats! Two volcanos, sure is active up there this year. Thats a beautiful drive!

I work on the south end of the island. There was thunder and lightening there since 2pm. Lost power at work, but had to stay at work until 5 for some unknown reason. No computers, no phones, nothing. We were so bored. Meanwhile it rained at home with a little thunder, but no power loss. So far 2.5 today YAY!

71.8 F / 22.1 C ---- We haven't been this cool in a long time! LOL!
Light Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Mostly Cloudy 4300 ft / 1310 m
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft / 2133 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Three blooms on Luna Hibiscus...yeah I just got it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5304164

Kiska: Again you amaze me. Volcanoes down the road.
BillyP: What are "straight line winds"?
Celia: Hooray! Ya got big rain!

Today lived up to the "heat advisory" forecast. Truly dog days kind of weather. No rain. Garden was gasping for water when I got home from work - even stuff in the shade!

It has now cooled down to 88. :)
Deb
(Overexposed coreopsis.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5304322

I just returned from a drive; looking for just right clover to make honey. Didn't find clover, but did find this bull moose.
60 raining lightly.
Love the hibiscus, MySharona. Power outages and you had to remain at work; bummer.
Deb~poor little flowers/yard. Sounds a bit like what Dyson came home to.
Sugarweed~any more than just a sputter, yet?

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5304334

Found the clover and fireweed at home; just finished batch of honey.
Here are the ingredients, ready to cook.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5304341

Finished jars of honey.
Nice project on a cool rainy day.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5304351

Rann these shots are amazing!
I love seeing your vacation this way!!!!!
Beautiful little church!

Well WE got hammered last night.
Billy's straight line winds whipped through here at about 2 AM.
Not so bad here at home... a few twigs and things... but at 6AM 50,000 people were w/o power.
Down to 40,000 by 7 AM. I think it's pretty much all repaired now.
Power went down at work at 2:30 and was restored about 6:30.

Our Work road runs East/West.
I didn't notice it coming in but all the street side tree limbs on the Pears are ripped off.
I'll try to get some shots tomorrow.

Here's our parking lot at Noon.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5304404

Oh yeah, looks like it was nasty, Ric.
Kiska: Moose!! Looks like a big one, too. And homemade honey. Yummmm. (My plants were fine once I doused 'em. :> )
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5304935

Deb, straight-line winds are similar to hurricane winds. Best way to describe them is they go sideways at such force that they aren't coming down at a diagional, they are just going straight.

If someone else can do better, please do it!! LOL

Similar weather as Mau today. Isolated showers and a big change in temps this afternoon. It was nice enough today that I worked outside in the yard for a couple hours.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #5305890

Well, it stopped raining for awhile and then started up again. There was some flooding here and not too far from us. People had to leave their homes because the water washed part of the embankment down into their apartments. Flooded basements with sewage and debris. Yuck! I watched a video of people STANDING next to the embankment that collapsed and kids playing IN THE SEWAGE WATER!!! What are people thinking !?!?!?!

Sorry, I'm over it now. Lots of lightning and thunder. Fun to watch and scary because it's been so dry.

Mmm...honey...

Pretty flowers, Deb and Sharon. How is Gary doing?

Ric, I'm keeping you all in my thoughts, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5306048

Its raining again? What have we done to deserve this?!
Deb Ive had to water some plants every day too due to the heat. But not yesterday yay rain!
Kiska Thats a big bull moose! You make your own honey? That is so cool! Looks tasty! I can just smell it. How about that recipe?
Ric Your straight line winds sound like our lake winds. They make a mess out of everything.
Pepper Sounds like you had a nice day yesterday.
Celia Thats disgusting. Did they not realize it was sewer water? I mean the smell alone.gag. We had the same yesterday. Lots of thunder and lightening. I enjoyed listening to it. It was one of those storms where you dont use an umbrellatoo much lighteningand remove your shoes for the race to the cartoo many puddles!

Gary stayed with his mom last night. Apparently no fever since we didn't get any phone calls. I'll let y'all know how he's doing this morning after he wakes up. He has to go to Jacksonville for chemo today.

NOID brug getting ready to bloom too. I think there are 9 buds this time.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #5306051

Oops - here's the weather!

74.3 F / 23.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Heat Index: 74 F / 23 C
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Painted Lady Hibiscus. I couldn't resist! DH just rolled his eyes LOL!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2008 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
11:14 AM

Post #5306151

Sunny in the morning...then mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Humidity 84%.
Highs around 90.
Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Chance of rain 50 percent.

Hoping we get lucky with the 50%!

Beautiful hibiscus, Sharon.
Pepper: Thanks for explaining about the wind.

Off to work! Have a great day!
Deb
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #5306199

Good morning!

It's cloudy, breezy and 55F this morning. I think there's some more rain in the forecast.

Thanks everyone - glad you enjoyed the photos. We had a great time. It was quite an adventure for the girls - they didn't want to leave.

Sharon - Gary is in my thoughts. Those hibiscus are gorgeous!

Sally and Ric - wow! what a mess. Glad there wasn't any damage.

Dyson - sorry about your plants.

Kiska - Wow! Two volcanos! The honey looks good :-)

Here's a photo from the following day - it was still too windy for comfort ... But there were some very cool windswept clouds in the sky.

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:37 AM

Post #5306201

A mallard with her little ducklings :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #5306210

There was a huge difference between high and low tide. The little cove by the village was empty when we woke up!

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5306219

There was a very pretty island just off shore, the cliffs were filled with fulmars which are very noisy ! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:46 AM

Post #5306224

It was very warm where there was shelter from the wind ... waiting for the ferry.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #5306230

Where there wasn't shelter from the wind it was really cold! lol I packed mittens for the girls but left them in the suitcase ... duh!

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5307004

47 Showers.
Highs in the 50s. East wind 5 to 15 mph
rann~I love the openess of the landscape and the views it offers. What a beautiful country. The two erupting volcanos aren't affecting the populated areas. Flights have been affected to those areas.
MySharona~love your hibiscus; from the 70's to the 90's seems like quite a swing; hope Gary had a good night.
The recipe for the honey:
25 each of red and white clover blossoms
18 Fireweed blossoms
5 cups sugar
1/2 tsp Alum
1 1/4 water
Bring to a boil and boil slowly for 8 minutes, the sugar, alum and water.
Turn off heat, add blossoms and steep for 5-6 minutes.
Strain~~~pour into jars. Makes 2 pints.
Deb~hope the rain makes the 50% cut as well. Have a great day.
kwanjin~does make on wonder what some people are thinking, or not.
pepper23~hope you have a good weather day.
Wild Cotton blooming in the gravel/rocks.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5307008

Wild cotton blossom.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5307016

Wild cotton; open.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5307177

Sharon, I just love the Brugs but I have the kitties and won't grow them. (sigh) And you can never have too many flowers! Spouses will just have to understand...
Glad Gary is feeling well. I read the journal update today and it sounds like he's doing very good.

Have a great day at work, Deb!

Rann, that is a fabulous cloud pic! It looks like one you would buy from a dealer. Your girls are cute as ever. Weird how high/low some tides can get.

Kiska, cotton fields are a sight, aren't they? When we visited SC one year, Darrell, at first, wasn't sure what he was looking at. When I told him it was cotton, he had to pull over and get a closer look.

72F with 93 for later. Blue skies and a beautiful day. More rain for the weekend but only a 20% chance.
Feels like: 72F

Dewpoint: 59
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 3 mph S
Sunrise: 6:16 AM
Sunset: 8:51 PM
(The UV Index says 1 here but farther down it says 11. I don't get it.)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5307588

Just a quick stop in to show you what we're getting now!

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5307657

Yipee!!! Outer bands of Dolly/
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5307739

Kiska - I meant to tell you that the open cotton looks like an inspiration for a bowl!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5308099

I think I have a job to go to on Monday. Yes that would be a good thing, And the sky is dark but hat is not "bad" also.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5308615

Sharon: Yikes! Hope it brings rain but not much else.
Kiska: I never heard of wild cotton. Neato.
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5308891

Aaargghh! I just typed out a post and sent it but something happened and it never went through. I'm just going to say "good photos everyone", glad those of you who got rain, got rain and hope those of you who need rain will get rain. Hope that job comes through for you, dyson!

Here is this evening's forecast:

Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 70F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 85%
Sunset: 8:17 PM CT
Record Low: 62F (1988)
Currently it is 92 and sunny
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 23, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5309095

51 raining here on the valley floor; but snowing on the mts.
Quite surprised while in town and looked at the fresh snow on the surrounding mountains. Here's a peak at the one at the end of our road, taken from in town. Once the clouds lift; will get a better pic.
kwanjin~looks like a mixed bag for your area; from warm to hot to rain in the forecast.
Wild cotton grows to about 8-12 inches tall. Not sure about other cotton fields, but it would be quite a sight, I'm sure.
That's some storm heading your way, MySharona. Very impressive. I like the idea of the inspiration for a bowl. Today I have a piece of clear glass, that will turn to a ruby color when fired. Sure anxious to see it when it's ready.
Dyson~glad it's not a bad there; job on Monday, too; sounds ok from here.
Don't you just hate it when that happens, marsue:)
Beneath the clouds; fresh snow on Byers Peak. Summer? Late July? Looks more like September now.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5309115

Great pictures, Rann, and everyone else! Wild cotton is interesting looking.

Has anyone heard from Marylyn? Do you think that hurricane is effecting her or is she just busy with VBS?

Ric, I don't know about the rest of CA, but cardinals are not native to my area. They were introduced back in the days of yore but never caught on. There might be a few left at Whittier Narrows, but the last I heard - and that was years ago - they were dying out there, too. I don't know if they ever lived right here in Canoga Park. I would guess not. I doubt that anyone would try introducing them again. Introducing non-native animals is usually frowned upon nowdays. I can't imagine cardinals hurting anything, but you never know.

Plenty hot enough here. I'm sure the guys putting on the new roof next door would agree.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 23, 2008
87 F / 31 C
Clear
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5309131

Warm @71, gotta go move a car outta the DW's way. fed her a tomato "right off the vine" yesterday. Now she understands why I bother with a garden.

Got a new job, start on Monday, Life is good once again. All - take care of you & yours (it is after all what that matters). The job, the car, the house, they are nothing compared to the ones you love that cannot be replaced by a piece of hi tech hardware or software. They will make you feel good about yourself even when you have doubts about your own processes.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5309448

Rann Im enjoying your vacation as much as you did! LOL!
Kiska At first glance I thought the wild cotton was patchy snow! Gorgeous pictures!
Celia My cats dont have anything to do with the brugs. They really dont pay them any attention.
Deb We got another 2 of rain today! Im thrilled!
Kiska Or maybe a platter LOL! Wow what a picture with the mountaintop peeking through! Background! I made it home for lunch just in time. The bottom fell out of the clouds and pummeled us. It wasnt as volatile as yesterday though. I bet that bowl is going to be gorgeous.
Kelli I think Marylyn is busy with VBS this week. I dont think Houston is going to get much from Dolly.
Dyson Congratulations on the new job! Gotta love veggies fresh off the vines yummm. You are so right. Family and friends can't be replaced.

77.0 F / 25 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Wind: 6.4 mph / 10 km/h
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14 km/h
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 72. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5309502

Dyson: You sound very happy about the new job. Congrats!
Kiska: The wild cotton is prettier than the cultivated kind. (love your mountain)

No rain today, just now came in from watering everything...again. Ever hopeful, there's a pretty good chance for tomorrow.

Have a great evening, y'all!
Deb
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5309509

Thanks Deb!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5309676

Sharon, is your rosebud Seven Sisters?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5309735

Yipee Dyson!!!
Got seven tenths today.
;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5309812

Got some rain overnight but not a whole lot. Weather was decent til tonight then the humidity started kicking up again. But even then it wasn't too bad.

High was in the low 80s today. Partly cloudy, breezy.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5310520

Hi, everyone! Thanks for asking about me, Kelli. ^_^ We're fine here. The hurricane went on shore well south of us. We have been getting occasional downpours and gusts of wind as the storm belts come our way, but nothing major. We are very grateful for the rain! VBS is going very well. We come home exhausted but happy every day. LOL

Congratulations on the new job, Dyson!!

I'd love to see the honey recipe, too, Jackie. I didn't know you could make your own honey without help from bees until you mentioned it.

I need to get the big bunny out of the tub and into bed... Talk to you all soon! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53pm CDT (40 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 29.91 in 1012.7 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir ENE 70
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 78.1F / 25.6C
3 hour precipitation ending 9:53pm CDT : 0.01"

National Weather Service Forecast

Seven Day Forecast Issued 9:00pm CDT -- Wed, Jul 23, 2008
Rest of tonight Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. East winds 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Wow.. the highs tomorrow are only going to be in the 80s!!! Maybe it really is September, Janet!! LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 24, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #5310820

The recipe for the honey:
25 each of red and white clover blossoms
18 Fireweed blossoms
5 cups sugar
1/2 tsp Alum
1 1/4 water
Bring to a boil and boil slowly for 8 minutes, the sugar, alum and water.
Turn off heat, add blossoms and steep for 5-6 minutes.
Strain~~~pour into jars. Makes 2 pints.
This recipe was developed by the farm extension in the 1950's, if I remember correctly, before people started having bees shipped up.
So glad the storms' not come your way, too much, MarylynT_X>
Snow is the talk of the news/weather tonight. I submitted a pic to the local station; sure seems like September, not July.
According to the news tonight, so far this summer, there have been only 7 days of above 65* and15 days of above 60*.
Sharon~the rosebud is gorgeous.
Dyson~you are so correct; nice to see it said.
Another of the bull moose from yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #5311036

Where is Joey? I d-mailed her last week, no response.

Kelli No, its not a climbing rose, but the flower is similar. I still havent idd it.
Pepper Ill take low 80s! LOL!
Marylyn Glad to hear you are getting some rain!
Kiska Thanks! The rose is very photogenic. Snow already? Love the moose! I submitted my bad weather picture to the new station yesterday, but I dont think they posted it on the news, it made on the website though.

72.3 F / 22.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7 km/h
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

More Luna buds

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2008
10:18 AM

Post #5311069

Woke up this morning under a blanket!

It's 59 !

Here's another of the Garden Tour Sets

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606337479024/

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #5311485

Kind of a bad news/good news kind of morning for me.

Bad: Expected high today is 92F and humidity is a lovely 94%.
Good: It rained about a third of an inch overnight!

:)

Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5311665

Deb - My hair just went "poof" when I read your forecast!

Here - you can pretend to be flying over Kiska's mountains and cool off! Very cool!
http://www.electricoyster.com/electric3d/index.html

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 9:46 AM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2008
2:53 PM

Post #5311961

Rained here sometime overnight - the car seats were wet from the ill installed sunroof. Told the DW not to have it done, but as usuall I did not get listened too so now I get to drive with a wet glutamas maxamius. Isn'it amazing what you can get used to? At least I will not have to water the few remaining plants today.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5312505

Yes, where is Joey?

Dyson, very good news for you. Congrats!

Sharon, my hair went poof, too! LOL That trip across the mts, is VERY cool! Loved it. Pretty Luna.

Ric, I woke up under a blanket yesterday morning, too. Doesn't happen very often in summer here. Thanks for tour. It's beautiful. Love all the little kitties.

Kiska, awesome as ever. Where does one get clover and fireweed blossoms?

Marylyn, sooooo glad you're all okay. I was wondering, too, but thought I'd missed something.

Mau, I lose post all the time. I type a HUGE novel and then open a pic to look at it again or hit the wrong button and...FFFFTTTTTT...gone!

79F with 97 later. I don't know why I live here. I can't grow the plants I want, it's hot in summer and freezing in winter, too dry for hubby's skin...family here but I have family elsewhere, too. Hmmm...
Feels like: 79F

Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 31%
Wind: 11 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:17 AM
Sunset: 8:50 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Lower down on our chart, it says the UV index is 10.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5312907

LOL, Dyson you now know the true meaning of a chapped -----bottom.
I too have really missed Joey.
How's Gary doing Sharon.
Sidney
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5313281

Marylyn: glad VBS is going well and that the hurricane is having no bad effect on you.
Ric: great garden tour--love the yard art. 59! That would feel nice!
Sharon: beautiful rose bud and Luna bud, too. Glad Gary is doing well with the treatments this week. Loved the trip over "Kiska's mountains"--made me feel several degrees cooler!
Kiska: great shots of the moose! DH would probably likje the honey but I have never been much for the taste of bee's honey--don't know about clover honey.
Dyson: too bad about the wet glutamus maximus--LOL
Celia: Whistling Pigs Wheat? Now I've heard it all! LOL
Yes, where is Joey? Maybe she's on vacation.
Deb: humidity is high here, too. see bottom line of forecast
Today
Partly Cloudy
High 90F
Precip 20%
Wind: SE 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 62%
Sunrise: 6:12 AM CT
Avg. High: 92F
Record High: 100F (1972)
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 82%
Sunset: 8:17 PM CT
Record Low: 59F (2003)
Currently 88 but "feels like" 96 according to the Weather Channel. Yikes!

Sharon: get a look at my poinsettia!

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 24, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5313390

51F and light rain. Again~
kwanjin~family elsewhere has an interesting ring to it~could you move to a better climate? Fireweed/clover grow wild here in South Central Alaska. I picked the blossoms from the woods/clearings here at home.
As to blankets, we use flannel sheets, one wool and one fleece blanket, year 'round. Love having to use them.
Ric~will check out that site next.
marsue~the poinsetta goes well w/snow on the mountains, here.
Dyson~sounds a bit uncomfortable, for certain:)
MySharona~just getting back here after looking at the web site; electricoyster. Not only did I love it, but my grandkids both had to "fly" for awhile. Very cool site.
Deb~glad there's been a bit of rain; but sure seems like the humidity will feel like rain, too.
One more of the snow just because it's there:))
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5314841

Sharon: "My hair just went "poof" when I read your forecast! " LOL! Thanks for the laugh...and for the cool mountains.

Actually, later in the day, "they" said it was 97% humidity. Now come on - that's only 3 points away from liquid.

Happens every year this time, tho. If only the high humidity could water the garden.

Kiska: Still think it's too early for snow - even waaaay up north.
Dyson: Sorry about your wet butt. :) Way to look on the bright side!!
Deb
(Cute little Hairstreak on the b.e. susans.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
9:54 AM

Post #5316687

Ric 59* Ahhhhhhh!
Dyson New meaning for Soggy Bottom!
Celia Gary is doing well. Im taking him today for chemo. No chemo next week.
Marsue Your poinsettia is looking great!
Kiska Beautiful picture and now its background!
Deb Pretty butterfly!

74.8 F / 23.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 F / 24 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 90. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

One of our regulars at the feeders - Ruby Throat Hummingbird

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5317499

Kiska: another cool mountain photo.
Deb: cute little bf
Sharon: cute little hummer

Today Isolated T-Storms
High 89F (that can't be right--The local weatherman said last night that it would be in the mid 90's and hotter every day for the next few days.)
Precip 30%
Wind: WSW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 63%
Sunrise: 6:13 AM CT
Avg. High: 92F
Record High: 100F (1986)
Isolated T-Storms Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 30%
Wind: SW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
Sunset: 8:16 PM CT
Record Low: 56F (2000)
It's supposed to top out at 100 on Mon and Tues with heat indexes at 105+!!!

Lime Zinger finally decided to start growing--it's about time!

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5317770

Yes, Mau, Whistling Pig Wheat. Brewed by the Fish Brewing Co. It was an ad on our table in a restaurant in OR. There is a new beer I've been seeing advertised here, Landshark Beer. Very nice on the poinsettia and your Lime Zinger.

Now I'm cold again, Kiska. We do have plans to move to WA or OR in the next little while.

Deb, our hummers don't seem to like the food we leave them. We've tried a few different recipes but they sip and run. Anyone have ideas?

And we have a cat that is preying on the birds at the feeder. He's caught two now. The first was a sparrow and the one I found this morning was, I think, a dove. Ideas on getting rid of him? Other than removing the feeder?

79F with 100 fortoday. It's not even 9am and it's already 79. It's cloudy and muggy again.
Feels like: 79F

Dewpoint: 42
Humidity: 27%
Wind: 15 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:18 AM
Sunset: 8:49 PM

UV index on the bottom chart says 10.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5317830

HAV-A-HEART Trap, with a can of tunafish for the bait. Once it is in the trap, you still have to figure out what to do with it. And be carefull - feral cats can be dangerous. I have arm gards from a glass factory job awhile back.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5317845

Oh dear. I should have mentioned he's a neighborhood cat, not a stray. I'm just not sure which house is his. My cats chase him out when they see him but he's found a resource and won't stay gone.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5317887

In that case - Big mean tomcat - I have one here that will attack the neighborhood dogs if they enter the yard, Other cats do not frequent my yard. In fact after one visit & fight I never see that cat again. He is kinda rough on the squrriel population but I do not think that he messes with the birds.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5317893

Celia: here is the recipe I have used for the hummingbird feeder for years. They seem to like it. 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup of water. It is not necessary to add food coloring. The water from the tap should be boiled for 10 minutes and allowed to cool before adding the sugar and pouring the mixture into the feeder. The boiling cuts down on the mold that can develop when it sits in the feeder for a few days. The mixture should be changed regularly, however, especially in hot weather. Or you can always use bottled or filtered water if you don't want to go to the trouble to boil it yourself.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 25, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5318547

55 not raining and there's actual sunlight ~
It is early, Deb, even here. Late August is when it generally makes it's appearance. Hope you get some cooler weather.
100 ~ waaay too hot, kwanjin and marsue.
kwanjin~~ either Washington or Oregon sound nice.
Hunter Creek~ taken a few days ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5318673

Looking like it may rain.
Here's where I'm offering my coleus cuttings.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881484/
I'll be back in a minute with a new thread.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5318771

Brand new thread; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881700/
Come on over!
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America