Photo by Melody

Caudiciforms: Can Anyone ID this one for me?

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 20, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5252717

I finally have some blooms to post, and would like to know which this is specifically. I got an AWESOME deal (i think) at the local nursery for $14.00. Now we need a name.

Thank you, kindly.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5252720

Here is the entire plant alone.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5254587

Name = nice purchase lol!!
Awesome form and lovely flower.
looks like an obesum seedling to me'
More interesting to me is the white cacti or succulent in the background
You have quite the beautiful setup there my friend.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5255588

Nice plant for the money! Malestrom, I think the white plant is Euphorbia trigonas.

I personally am wondering about the baseball bat on the left side of the pic. Nice caudex on that adenium.

And is this setup in a green house entryway or something?
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5256405

Oh, I probably should have mentioned I knew it was an A. obesum! Oops!

I was wondering about the cultivar name. Tropic Sun, Pink Delight, etc..

And I saw it (that particular one/shape) and could not let it pass ... then I saw the price ... $19.99 ... Then I realized it was a Wednesday!! 10% off any purchase Day!! Woohoo. We call him Buddah!

Anyway ... That interesting white cactus is an Euphorbia ammak, so you were close AnalogDog.

The "baseball bat" is my Lophocereus or Pachycereus schottii f. monstrosus.

Here is my Dave's Garden pic of the Euphorbia:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/196624/

Here is my Dave's Garden pic of my other two Lophos ... er ... Pachys. I have forms obesa and mieckleyanus: I have (2) plants of the mieckleyanus.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/200222/

The set up is a work still in progress ... 320 sq. ft. of a 2-story greenhouse; lean-too off the south side of house.
Here is a small photo of the start of the construction phase.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB

WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5256442

Oh, and aside for 10% off Wednesday, it was also $4.00 off any $19.99 plant!! I was re-reading the post and realized my math didn't add up! Sorry 'bout that!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5258110

Awesome on all counts.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5259093

Nice on all counts, and nice greenhouse.

Hope you have permits. I know a guy who was very humbled when he tried to sell his house with an attached greenhouse (the size of the original house) built without permits.

Ouch!
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5259303

Yeah ... OH yeah! ... you don't even want to open up the can of worms about dealing with the local zoning board here. What a nightmare ... the bunch of maroons!

Now, I have to fight the town assessor's office because they raised my taxes to TAX me for it as living space as opposed to non-living space!! Technically, greenhouses are non-living space, apparently ... They decided to change this status on me after 15 years.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 14, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5259547

Tell me about it. I used to work for the Building Department. They think Bizarre.

morganc

morganc
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5267874

Lovely AO...it looks to be sitting crossed legged. Cute!
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5289682

It has a nice showy caudex and roots. I suggest you prune it hard (and remove leaves) to get a more compact form with more branches. More branches also means more flowers.:-)

Best regards,

Martin
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5289800

Thanks for the advice, there, Martin!!

Does "prune it hard" mean to cut the branches back all the way to the stump??

Or leaving a certain amount of each branch (like an inch or two? Less? More? Trim to just above leaf # 2? 3??).

Also, when is the best time to prune it? And, how often would you suggest to prune?

Again, thank you for all the help!

Still hoping someone might have an ID on this one for me.

W.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB

BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5295968

Here's a video I did on hard pruning them. In your area, you'll probably only get away with once per year, and this is about as late as you'd want to do it. It takes about 8 weeks to fully flush and flower after hard pruning, so I wouldn't do it after August 1st, as your temps will start to be getting to cool by October.

Here I do it to some 3x per year. Mid March, end of June, and mid August.

I also lift them every 2 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeoGvCkepo

Chris
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5296210

Thanks, Chris.

I guess I should definately do that now and keep it in its current shape.

It will grow in the greenhouse again before the weather starts to turn too cool.

Thanks, again.
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 21, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5296607

Looking closer at your picture, I find it kind of interesting. Many multiple branches from the caudex is unusual from A. obesum varieties. It typically has one or 2 primary, then go on to branch further and further up those 2 primaries.

Looking at yours, it appears that it may have been a grafted variety at one time, judging by the scar in the center, and the graft didn't take. I've seen this more than once at the box stores.

Since you do have nice base branches, and this is just how I personally like to keep them, I'd cut each main branch back to about 4 inches. They may put off 3-4 branches base on their current size. Younger ones will usually develop 2 branches per cut.

Chris
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2008
8:04 AM

Post #5336735

An expert on Adeniums once told me to prune AND remove all leaves. If you only prune an Adenium without removing the leaves, you get less branches per cut. I agree.

Best regards,

Martin
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #5337373

Ooooooo ... Thank You ... I cut the branches two days ago, but pardon me as I go to the GH now to remove the few remaining leaves ...

Thanks, again!
WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #5337377

Any ideas on which variety of A.o. this is?
MartinDK
Copenhagen
Denmark
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5337403

I am sorry but I have no idea. But the flowers look pretty "ordinary A. obesum" to me. Adeniums with rootstocks are quite rare around here (in Denmark, that is), so I'm easy to impress.;-) I like the "ordinary".

Best regards,

Martin
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5338535

It's your standard picotee variety.

I just picked up 4 of these about an hour north of here. On estimate, they are about 15 years old, and more than 4 feet tall. One I'll use for a multi-colored grafting project, and a couple of others I'll use as displays for when we do shows.

They're pretty cool but need some cleaning up.

Chris

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America