Just had to share the joy!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

woohooo!! This is year 3 for this H. coccineum "Flaming Torch". It got bigger every year, but ...nothin' at all bloom-wise.

Until this week. ... Tadaaaa!
:-D That's a very big smile on my face.

Anyone else had a "Finally!!!" moment this season?
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Mulberry, FL

Excellent ! how tall is this ginger very nice flower does it smell?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It's about 4 and 1/2 feet or so. It has a very light scent. (So happy! :-> )
Deb

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

deb congrats i love the smell of them
this one has kind of an orange ginger smell

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

this one looks similar to yours

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

still waiting for this one

Thumbnail by candela
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Candela: I love that orangey one. Two blooms at once! Ah, I long for that day. :)

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Those are all really pretty.

Lowndesboro, AL(Zone 8a)

First time bloomers for me this yr, are Kinkaku. Dr. Moy and Peach Delight have first time inflos but no blooms yet. At least a dozen hedys that are new or haven't bloomed yet.
It's been the year of the crinum though for me, almost all my crinum have bloomed. Probably if I didn't have some of those big honkin' clumps I would have room for hedys!
Congrats on your Flaming Torch!
Kabby

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Nice picture, Deb! I've been cutting them and bringing them inside to bloom. They smell so good. Here's one of mine that looks like yours.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Here's another one:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

The yellow ones are happy this year too:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Clare: Beautiful! That first one does look the same. I dream of lots of blooms like yours! My "Moy Giant" is going to have more than one bloom for the first time this year. (yay)
The Heddy that I started this thread with has had only that one bloom, tho. The other stalks, and there are lots of them, are just growing bigger and bigger. :) No complaints tho - since there was a time when I thought I'd never see anything but green from that one! LOL.

Deb
(Moy Giant)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Deb, I really like your pictures. You have a very good eye. That's a lovely ginger too. I think there is a possibility that you may see more blooms later in the summer. This is very early for my gingers to bloom. They usually bloom toward the end of the summer and through the fall here. I still have a lot of them that haven't bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Clare. Well that's encouraging. I'm still hopeful of more blooms to come!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Clare - I am experiencing the same with the early bloom. This one is fully opened now, with 3 others in various stages nearby. I moved this to an area where it gets morning sun; the patch that I have in the backyard with afternoon sun doesn't bloom until Oct/Nov.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

That's a pretty picture. It's really weird that all my pinks and yellows are blooming this early, but it is nice to have them. The whites are in the patch and haven't bloomed yet, but I bet those will bloom at the regular time.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm a little late on this thread, but this was the one that I was just thrilled about when it opened!

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gardenflory: that's a beauty. I know how you feel!

I just noticed that one of my white butterfly gingers has a bud. Woohooo!
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeehaaa! I got a bloomin' Butterfly!
I'm surprised, but not unpleasantly, that it seems to smell alot like gardenias!
Life is good. 2 1st time bloomers this season. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Orangeburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I have several 'Finallys' in the yard now, but they are just buds. Still, I do my happy dance when I see one! (OT-Most of my new camellias are full of buds!)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Congrats on your camellias, Lussah! I can't believe it's almost camellia season.
Looking forward to seeing your "finally"s. :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.