Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Puakenikeni advice please.

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 25, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2008
5:12 AM

Post #5266816

Aloha,

I have a puakenikeni ( Fragraea Berteroana or Berteriana) which I have had in a pot up till now waiting to see if the smell was going to be as good as people say it is. It just had it's first flower, and it has the most gorgeous smell! Can't show you a picture of today's flower because I plucked it so that my Mom could smell it - but now that I know it's certainly a keeper, can anyone give me advice on planting here in Kihei?

My book says full sun, plenty of water with good drainage. Does that sound 'bout right to you, for Kihei? Dave?, Carol?, anyone else?

I also want to keep it as a shrub rather than a tree because I have read that if you don't keep the fruit picked off it won't bloom and I am not going to be able to pluck fruit off a large tree, any tips?

By the way it is also called 10 cent flower because that is what it used to cost to buy one flower!

Thanks in advance!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
9:49 AM

Post #5272388

Hi!

I have to admit I have never seen or heard one of those specimens. How's that for honnesty this morning? However, polar bears are an inquisitive bunch. Wishing to further my education, I have done a bit of research.

From what I have gathered, it seems that this tree will grow anywhere from full sun to partial shade. It will tolerate droughts and waterlogging will stimulate blooming. It seems to grow in anything and anywhere except underwater and in zones where freezing occurs. Pruning will keep its bushy form.

Here is a link that describes the plant very well. I found others but this one seems to be the best:

http://www.agroforestry.net/tti/Fagraea-puakenikeni.pdf

I hope this helps AND I learned something before breakfast. The day is starting off very well.

Aloha!
Sylvain, A.K.A. Pu'ole.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2008
10:21 AM

Post #5272406

Very interesting! Thanks for the sleuthing work Sylvain.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5273954

Thanks, Pu'ole! It seems anything goes for this plant. It's not a very pretty looking thing is it, but the flowers smell divine!

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 21, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5293454

Hey Jen, in Kihei you may want to trim off of the top of the tree to cause it to spread out more and stay lower to the ground just to avoid the hot and dry wind. You may need to give the tree regular waterings to get good flower production; this would be most effective if you spray the tree till it is dripping wet at the end of the day.

Trimming off the fruit is supposed to increase flower production, but I see many trees around Hilo (i.e. - UH Hilo Campus) that are not defruited, and they still produce lots of flowers!

Aloha, Dave
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5296492

Thanks Dave, you know it's not so easy gardening in Kihei! Hopefully I have found just the spot to plant it. I heard tell that there is a wonderful old pua kenikeni in someone's garden in the Iao Valley, I must go and try to find it when I have time - it's such a lovely area - all misty and damp through the West Maui Mountains. What a difference from Kihei, it's another whole world! I guess I would be better off planting something like cactus in my area, but who could resist that gorgeous smell!

Bumper crop for Mango on Maui this year, although not in my garden - probably as the trees got very little water for six months while they were tearing up the garden. Still more than enough for us, the freezer is getting very full. There are so many Mango even the food bank is turning them away, they just laughed at me and said they had more than they could cope with! It's hard to find a sucker who will take them - Carol, not to call you a sucker, but another box is coming your way -posting tomorrow!

The star fuit tree seems to have rebounded from all the bashes it took from the diggers and bob cats, and although it's a funny shape from having limbs torn off, it looks as if we are about to have a good crop. I am so glad we didn't loose this Starfruit because it produces a very sweet fruit compared to most, I have no idea which variety it is - we inherited it. I wish I was allowed send all you guys on the mainland a box of fruit...

Aloha

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5347196

Me too! I love mangos!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5367539

Sorry...haven't stopped by to play in a while...

Jen's mangos are totally THE best!!! We OD when the box comes!!!

I have found the puakenikeni really bloom differently...from plant to plant. Some are easy...some reluctant.

Aloha

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2008
6:52 PM

Post #5367796

Aloha,

HHHMMM, mangos... (drooling la Homer Simpson).

My favorite fruit were peaches until I sank my teeth into a fresh-picked mango still warm from the tropical sun with the juice dripping all over the place when you bite into it, trying to suck the juice, ending up wearing an orange-stained stained shirt, with sticky fingers, scraping the leftover fruit from the inside of the peel, fiber between my front teeth and happy like a pig in slop without a care in the world. You guys in Hawai'i have all the fun. At least did you have a few for us poor mainlanders?

Oh, I want to return to paradise so badly! To my liking, we didn't spend enough time on TBI. We didn't see the volcanoes, didn't get to go visit Carol (sniff). We did see a macademia nut plantation and a glorious botanical garden built in a ravine, which was extremely nice.

We didn't spend enough time on Maui but we did see Lahaina,the Iao needle and luau. I hear there's a very nice little place on that island (Kiehi) that we didn't know existed when we were there. I'd love to go there.

We didn't spend enough time on Kauai but we did see the Waimea canyon.

We didn't snorkel at Molokini.

We did see Oahu from one end to the other and loved every minute of it. Oh well, we'll just have to return. It's kinda my 2009 project.

Take care, all.
Sylvain, A.K.A. Pu'ole.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5368408

YES YES>>>do come. The Botanical Garden is run by a friend of mine...its' fun going around with him!!

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5368530

Which botanical garden? what Island? I went to the one on Kauai..it was great.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5369715

Ah Randy...when you come over we will go. It is the Onomea Botanical Garden or something like that. Sean is a good friend and it is really fun to go around with him because ... well, he knows everything about the plants and is full of great information!!!! It is just north of Hilo...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5371087

Oh boy..I look forward to that! I'll try to behave and not stuff seeds in my pocket like Kauai...they were all over the ground!
I'm going to check flights today and let you know my target dates. We're having a tropical storm today...going to catch up on some deficit rain!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5372914

No worries...Sean is cool. I always ask...but then I go there with tons of dischidia and hoyas for him...also any gingers he might not have...not likely, tho!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5372942

woo hoo...at work now...storm not affecting the airlines too badly..In fact it's better than a good day in Newark!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5377236

Mahalo Carol, my kenikeni is in the ground now and looks a little tatty - but much happier! It seems to be a blooming fool since it has been able to stretch it's toes so maybe I got a good one!

Pu'ole, how is the house coming along? Are you all settled in yet? So glad to hear that you might make a trip to the Islands next year - the bed is ready and waiting at my house! Molokini here we come!

What a great time to visit Randy! Tourism is way down so it's like having the place to yourself! Any chance of a Maui stop over? My grandson just flew in on a last minute flight from Phoenix, and got his fare for half price as the plane had seats left over.

Aloha

Jen

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5377441

Aloha, everyone.

Jen, thank you so much for your kind offer. I'd love to return to the hawai'ian islandsand see more of Maui, Kihei and all that. I'm working on that. We wouldn't be any trouble because Gail and I can't bear the thought of staying at someone else's house, not even immediate family. We're very reclusive that way. My dad thought we were crazy to stay at a hotel instead of his guest bedroom when we last visited Montreal (2 years ago). But, idiosyncracies aside, that wouldn't stop us from tooting all over the islands during the day and having a grand time.

We are all settled in the house. The last of the condo's "stuff" is here. We just have to unpack all that. Then, I'll have to give the condo a once-over before we can put it on the market. Buyers like a neat place and so do we. I'll post pictures as soon as my digital camera returns from the repair shop.

Speaking of that, they wanted to charge me $150 to repair it, plus $30 shipping. I told them to throw it out because I can get a brand-new camera for that price. They put me on hold for 5 minutes. When they returned, they offered to do the job for $48.00, including shipping. I accepted. That seems better than $180.00. What can I say, they tried their best but I resisted. I can haggle with the best of them.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
chassi
Ahuimanu, HI

July 22, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9214072

Hi i dont know how to plant puakenikeni flower from the seed can someone can help me

This message was edited Jul 22, 2012 12:58 AM

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

August 8, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9235078

It is best to take air-layers from plants that are good bloomers.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

August 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9257578

Hi Chassi...several years ago I tried growing Puakenikeni from seed and found them really easy to sprout and grow. It is impossible to grow from cuttings and most plants in nurseries are grown by air-layering. I just got the seeds from a ripe fruit and put them in a tray of potting mix. Had hundreds of little seedling come up...many that survived my rough watering...I guess a mist system would have looked after them better. Potted them up in pots to start with. Anyways had a few dozen plants grown from them that have gone on to give their owners lots of Puakenikeni flowers for lei making. If you do make lei from them, this is one flower that cannot be put in the fridge. That is why the lei shops will hang Puakenikeni leis in plastic bags outside of the fridge. aloha

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9257880

I saw leis made from puakenikeni blooms in Honolulu's chinatown. When the time came to get my wife a lei, I opted for a gorgeous creation made up of almost 500 green orchid. It was stunning and lasted 12 days, with refrigeration. She wore it every day at dinner and 2 luaus. She still remembers it fondly. Good times.

I'd love some puakenikeni seed, if anyone has them. Please D-mail me.

Mahalo,
Sylvain.
lono13
Honolulu, HI

April 5, 2013
12:42 AM

Post #9472391

Aloha!

I have a puakenikeni tree, approx 7 years old. It grew up to 5ʻ tall but hasn't, blossomed, ever! I trimmed it down to about 4ft , and it remains very healthy. Everyone else's trees are starting to bud, except mine. What can I do to make it blossom? Purchased from either Home Depot or Lowes. Thank you!

Lono

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

April 5, 2013
9:38 AM

Post #9472708

They need watering during dry times and a lot of sunlight.

Maybe a bloom promoting fertilizer would help.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagraea_baeteroana&prev=/search%3Fq%3DFagraea%2Bberteroana%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4TSNP_enUS514US514&sa=X&ei=e_teUYCQCuOv2wWFjIDwCg&ved=0CEwQ7gEwBDgK

http://www.store.hawaiiantropicalplants.com/Fagraea-berteroana-Puakenikeni-55-inch-square-pot-1290.htm

http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/fagraea-berteroana/
KauaiLei
Kalihiwai, HI

January 11, 2014
1:58 AM

Post #9745106

First time posting in here. Please forgive me if I am breaking any TOU, as I am a commercial pua keni keni grower and lei maker on Kauai's north shore for 25 years.

I've never heard of growing pua keni keni from seed. I'm astounded!

The fact that pua keni keni is called the "Ten Cent Flower" is kind of a misnomer that got introduced somewhere along the line. Way back when they were introduced to the islands, ten cents was a day's wages! An old Hawaiian once explained to me that actually, "Keni Keni" is the Hawaiian imitation of "Ch-ching ch-ching", or the sound of loose change in the pocket. Makes a lot more sense, huh?

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

January 11, 2014
4:13 AM

Post #9745121

Thanks for being here KauaiLei!

Great story. Got any photos to share?

We all love photos of flowers & such.

Mahalo a nui, Dave

Thumbnail by Metrosideros   Thumbnail by Metrosideros   Thumbnail by Metrosideros      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

bandita_74
Ewa Beach, HI

November 18, 2014
1:06 PM

Post #9976610

Thanks for all the great tips, especially the very informative pdf link, Sylvaine. I had my Puakenikeni plant for a little over a year, didn't do so good, and then died. Last week, I got a new Puakenikeni from the free-tree giveaway for Arbor Day, so doing some research to keep it alive this time. The one that died was in a pot, in a patio with not much sun. Sounds like it does better in the sun, so that's where I'll keep it this time. It might have been waterlogged too because the more the leaves wilted and browned, the more water I gave it, thinking that it was drying up. Could it have also died because it was crowded in a pot, since these trees are meant to be huge? Is it even possible to keep these in a pot, with regular pruning to keep them small? If so, what size should the pot be? I live in a rental, and will likely be here for many years before moving into the home that I bought, so I'd like to keep it in a pot if possible. And even then, I'm not sure if I'll even settle in the home that I bought, so I'm hoping to be able to keep my Puakenikeni in a pot for many, many years.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America