Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Back From the Brink- Who Cures A Heuchera?: Persistance pays off!

Communities > Forums > Article: Back From the Brink- Who Cures A Heuchera?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Back From the Brink- Who Cures A Heuchera?Replies: 4, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5268104

Well done, both with your Heuchera and with the article! I especially liked your "lessons learned" and summary at the end... I know I've been guilty of bringing home a wonderful new plant, only to fail to give it the attention it needs to settle in and thrive in my garden.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 16, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5268806

Yet another perfectly timed article. I attended a workshop at a native plant nursery - creating container plantings with natives. I have a little Heuchera that has been limping along and I've just moved it to another location. Your article gives me hope I will find a good place for it yet! This is such a good idea for a series of articles, too.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 16, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5268845

I thank you both for your kind words!
The Heuchera must have a little toghness to it after the abuse I gave them. Good luck KaperC!
Today I saw that a Salvia I had thought would look good with some Ajuga, is not liking the deep shade there. Butthis Slavia seeds itself so I have other pop-ups to play with.

I believe it was Equilibrium who said she tries to buy a new plant in threes so she can try three diferent sites for it to see what it likes.
marwood0
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5302041

A great point about not putting a plant needing care in a spot that you don't see on a regular basis. They have a tendancy to dissapear! I tend to start new and interesting species in pots or in the bed that I see every day, so I can enjoy their sucess and am more likely to see problems start to develop. Result: some have suffered by being in pots, some have been saved by the regular attention, and others that didn't need any help at all take over the prime spot when they really should have been put out back. I started doing the multiple location trials; generally one in a pot, several out back to fend for themselves, and one or two crowded into the bed that gets daily attention. This gives the beds a jumbled look and confuses the eye, and it is confounding how locations 10 meters apart (or even much closer) with almost identical sun, water, & soil can have such different results with some plants.

Along those lines, anyone notice that the seeds at the edge of the seed trays sprout and grow faster than those in the middle? I've noticed it over and over and still haven't figured that out.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5302120

thanks for reading, marwood0--so I'm not the only out of sight out of mind gardener?

Your seed effect would seem to indicate some kind of micro-mini- climate change. Maybe the edge is dryer, or warmer...or...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Back From the Brink- Who Cures A Heuchera? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Another Great Article HollyAnnS 3 Jul 16, 2008 4:39 PM
Find the one that works! DonnaMack 1 Jul 22, 2008 12:49 AM
Back from the brink quiltjean 1 Jul 24, 2008 3:59 AM
Very Helpful! stormyla 2 Sep 13, 2010 6:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America