Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tcramer
Vancouver, WA

July 17, 2008
9:29 AM

Post #5272380

And brought them home to mom, we planted them in her flowerbeds. Now, 45 years later, mom is gone to heaven, dad is in hospice and their grandson of 38 years now lives in their home dad built and enjoys flowerbeds full of trillium clusters. What a wonderful sight! They get bigger every year. They are first purple and then turn white...or is it the other way around...After reading Aunt Bett's story, I wonder how I did that. Of course, I am somewhat majical, I have had 7 near death experiences, 3 from tornados, 1 drowning, 1 childbirth death, 13 days in ICU from driving my m/c off a cliff to name a few majical deaths. I am truely blessed by nature and God!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5273670

You are truly blessed! And the trillium is just one of the "magical" moments. I am so glad you wrote.

And you weren't inhibited by transplanting the trillium...they died when we picked them, maybe if I took a chance and transplanted them, it would have worked. But I didn't, too much Aunt Bett influence.

Best wishes and more magic moments to you.
Thanks again.
jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5442946

I have transplanted trillium too. Only from one place on my property (which is woods) to a shady spot nearer the house. I have done it over years before I had any inkling that it might not be legal. I really have just a few plants (maybe 10) but this is what I discovered in moving them: they have very, very, very very long, deep roots that are somewhat fragile. Success means a shovel not a trowel. At least to get them back the next year, you have to trace the root (it doesn't go straight down) and manage to get to its end without damaging it. It does end eventually then keep a good clump of the end soil attached. For replanting, a deep hole works best for these tiny precious things, but the long root can be coiled and layered with mulch in the process. I think that cutting that long root is the same as picking the flower. In tact though they DO live the season and come back the following year.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5443176

You are catching up on your reading, aren't you! So glad.

Yes I learned the hard way about trillium...it's that root that goes all the way to China that gets you every time. You are definitely doing it right, though, as long as its environment remains the same.

jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5443288

Yes, its these "dawg days" of August when I should be digging weeds and ammending soil but instead, I am just 'thinking' about it and reading your wonderful articles!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5443474

Ha! There's one on Dawg Days, tooo...
jraubo
New Berlin, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5443512

Yep...but you spelled dawg wrong (tee!)...I tease about that because I went to southern MO to get my buddy. Up here everybody wants to call him 'dog' but of course, that's jist not right!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5443525

Two syllables, of course...daw'ug.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Don't Pick the Trillium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! terriculture 6 May 7, 2008 2:06 PM
I feel blessed KyWoods 26 May 13, 2008 12:31 AM
Wow! lratliff29 1 May 8, 2008 12:37 AM
I got goose bumps! Sundownr 3 May 8, 2008 3:28 PM
Captivated by the title Seedtosser1 4 May 10, 2008 2:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America