Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: 'Land' plants in the pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 15, Views: 862
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2001
7:21 PM

Post #1360

I was just looking over my seed list to see if there might be a few plants that would be happy growing in the pond.

I've had good luck with plain old canna and impatiens. The pond is surrounded by large pines and gets sun off/on during the day. The cannas bloomed beautifully and the impatiens did great planted bare-rooted in the rocks at the edge of the falls. Also tried a couple of houseplants...Peace lily and Nephthytis. They did great in the filtered sunlight and the Peace lily even bloomed!

So, what 'land' plants have you tried in your ponds?
bilbo

(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2001
12:20 AM

Post #51967

We had a Yellow King Humbert canna and a Pretoria canna in the pond. I experimented with a pink calla lily and it flourished and bloomed all summer. I did have some impatients around the edge, but when the water level got too low, they perished! Didn't have much luck with lobelia cardinalis, but I don't think I had it deep enough to keep it's feet wet. My experiment this summer will be caladiums. There are some newer varieties that will stand full sun if their feet stay wet. I got some Mexican petunias in trade this fall, and am going to try some of those as well. I may try my peace lily too; it can't look any worse out there than it does in my house right now! This plant was a gift to my in-lawss eight years ago. I have managed to keep it alive, but it sure looks straggly right now!

Just got a "Brent and Becky's Bulbs" catalog, and they listed Alocasia, Caladium, Canna, Colocasia, Hedychium, Hymenocallis, Oxalis, Schizosotylis and the aethiopica types of Zantedeschia as pond friendly. I can't pronounce half of these, let alone know what they are! :)

Happy Ponding!

Becky G.

Oh, and I'm on the search for Mosaic plant...hard to find, but worth the wait!

JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2001
1:07 AM

Post #51972

Becky, I used to kill every peace lily I touched. Then I read somewhere that they liked lots of water. So, I invested in two beautiful ones, put deep saucers under the pots and keep them filled with water.. So far, after 3 yrs., they have flourished and bloomed off and all all year. The one I brought inside from the pond is planted in one of those 'aquatic' pots with pea gravel and sitting in it's own pot of water doing great.

Jean
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2001
2:21 AM

Post #51976

bilbo,I know i just saw that mosaic water plant in one of my new watergarden cataogs. When I saw it I fell in love, It is BEAUTIFUL. I can't locate the catalog right now but I will,and I will get back to you. I did however find it on the website www.daydreamergardens.com I did have one of their catalogs so I will dig it too. I put zebra grass and lobelia in my pond even though they are really considered land plants!
bilbo

(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2001
2:48 AM

Post #51979

I got a mosaic from Daydreamer's last summer. It took awhile as they were on back-order, and had to be put in a warm pond (mid-summer). It grew nicely, then I noticed that the fish were enjoying it as much as I was! Sadly, I could not get it to a place in the pond where the fish would leave it alone, but this year I have made plans! I will order one again from Daydreamer's!

Becky G.
TerryN68
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2001
12:04 PM

Post #52002

I had good luck with False Spirea (Astilbe) in the pond last year. This year I want to try a Chameleon Plant(Houttuynia cordata variegata). I had it in my hand last year and changed my mind at the last minute. It is a varigated vine type plant and if you crush a leaf between your fingers it releases a strong odor. It's just an interesting water/land plant.

I don't know about trying the mosaic plant again. My fish gobble it up and it is a fairly expensive fish treat. Maybe I'll have to build a plant only pond. Yeah! thats it another pond. LOL!!

Darn groundhog!!
T
ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 14, 2001
6:26 PM

Post #52052

I found the catalog for the mosaic plant. The web site is www.springdalewatergardens.com Potted is 1 gal for 14.95 and bareroot is 7.95. There are a couple of new plants in this cataloge that I have not seen before... Sue
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2001
4:32 AM

Post #53593

Water canna
I have been looking for the pink and the yellow Longwood water canna. I have Striped Beauty water canna to swap if anyone has and is interested.
Alice
branka
Hobart, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2001
5:23 AM

Post #53602

I am going to try daylilies and bee balm this year. They are both supposed to do well in marshy conditions, but have to be overwintered in the ground.

Last year I tried impatients and chameleon and both did well for me. BTW, I am overwintering the chameleon in the ground.
TerryN68
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2001
11:33 AM

Post #53614

Abutilon, I have a few pink longwood canna 'Erebus' ' seeds. I can send you 3 or 4 for a small piece of your Striped Beauty. let me know if interested.

T
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2001
1:52 AM

Post #54109

Removed by member request
Abutilon
Coal Center, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2001
10:13 AM

Post #71231

Terry, I haven't been back here in awhile. I didn't see your offer. Thank you for it though. Would have taken it if I had seen. Since ..I have been able to trade for all 4 Longwood water canna. I am looking forward to seeing how they grow this summer.
A.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2001
8:27 PM

Post #75656

Be careful what land plants you put in your pond if you have fish; a lady who runs a nice aquascaping business her locally told me some plants secrete chemicals that are highly toxic to fish. One example of this is obedient plants.

I am trying to see what all we can use on the shelves of our pre-formed pond -- but after hearing her warning, I'm kinda gun shy. Think I'll do my homework before I experiment any more!
ljday
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2001
6:42 AM

Post #76741

I had dwarf periwinkle (Vinca minor) in a pot that fell and the bottom split off. I stuck the broken pot with plant, in my pond, so that I could replant it in a day or two. That was two years ago. It still flowers but hasn't grown much. However, it was root bound before the crash.

I don't have fish in the pond and deer and racoon don't like Vinca. The plant gets over 50 percent daylight -- not including night time hours. Everybody's happy.
LJ
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2001
12:12 AM

Post #77268

I think I'm going to try - swamp milkweed (asclepias inarnata) and the wild orange daylilies this year in the pond. I also have some cardinal flowers to put in it.
loaforge
Rogers, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2001
1:19 AM

Post #82678

I have a Korean water grass in a pot,and it was doing beautifully til' this year. I also had a cardinal lobelia. It was fantastic! My favorite ia a thalia though. My pond gets mostly filtered sun, alot of shade, so finding plants for the water and the shade is a hard thing to do, but getting easier.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America