-
AuthorContent
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5280808

Here's another I picked up at Home Depot for $14.95. I really like the caudex and brighter pink flowers than some of the others they had, but the leaves are yellowing and falling off... no new foliage, but still some bloom. I took a chance and bought this one anyway. They were keeping these shady and wet enough to grow decorative moss. Mine receive several hours of morning sun then shade, along with upper 90 temps. I carefully water daily or every other day just depending on need. They dry out rather quickly. Any ideas about the leaves.

Thanks, Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5280816

A closer look at the leaves.

Thumbnail by zacattack

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
6:59 PM

Post #5280829

The moss, which is dying off in the brighter, drier conditions.

Thumbnail by zacattack

BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5280840

Awesome caudex.

Judging by the look of the soil, it was certainly kept too wet. I'd re-pot it and use a broad spectrum fungicide as well, since the nice green stuff on top of the soil could have some other fungus in there.

It can handle and would prefer all day of full sun, if you have a spot for it. You'll lose some leaves due to the over watering, but it will develop new ones from the top.

Chris
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5280869

Wow, I just might move to Fort Worth Texas. Our Home Depots never have anything like that. And at fifteen bucks. Lucky for the plant you got it before they killed it.
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5280926

Thanks... I sincerely appreciate the info.

Here's a shot of the blooms.

Thumbnail by zacattack

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 18, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5280966

Dlmcgrw,

Too bad you can't find these at your Home Depot. I've run across them several times this year... and unfortunately it is too late sometimes. Those folks are pretty reckless with all of their plants. Maybe you can take this info to your store and ask if they can get some.

Good Luck, Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack

Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5281359

Nice plant!!
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5281419

Zacattack, Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. But our Home Depots seem to be run by a new bunch of young kids, that don't give a da*n, every month. There is almost no assistance, no one knows anything. and no one cares.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5281952

thats HD for you
Show up on plant delivery day or a day or 2 after
Everything beyond that is a risk in my experience.
Ive seen entire flats of parodia in 2 inches of water for weeks ^^
I inquired about a discount...
'We get full credit on the return' was their answer, so... no discounts anymore lol!
I even offered to buy 8 bags of potting soil that were torn open if they marked em down.
I was told no,
I told him to keep his ripped bags I only wanted perfectly clean ones for full price.
Bunch of a-holes making their policies now.
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 19, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5283348

I was in Lowes the other day, when a guy tried to buy like 6 or 8 bags of sand that were destroyed. 2 of the bags were in plastic bags, the rest were taped all up. Who knows how much was in any of them. He inquired about a discount, she said 20% was the best she could do.

When I thought she left, I said to him that was sad, you should have gotten it for 50% or better, as they were otherwise unsaleable. He agreed, and thought she was being a real lightweight.

She came back and gave him 50-70% off the bags. She must have been close.

We smiled.
ashjuniper
Austin, TX

July 19, 2008
5:14 AM

Post #5283582

Very handsome plant. As someone suggested I'd repot it into same size or only slightly larger pot---and let it have lots of light.
JPlunket
Vieques, PR

July 19, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5286024

It looks like Atlas, down on one knee, holding adenium blooms instead of Earth.

An absolutely brilliant adenium caudex form --you could sell it for a big number in some of the exclusive plant shops in NYC or SF. With some trimming and shaping and a bit more growth, it would be a "Not for Sale" window item.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5425272

Dan, I'm down the road from you in Waco, and I just bought my first cactus rose at HEB. It has a nice caudex but nothing like yours. Do you have yours in FULL SUN? I mean, late afternoon broiling sun? I'm just trying to figure out where to place it.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2008
5:39 AM

Post #5425387

zacattack, I asked for the nursery manager at our local Home Depot and requested Adenium. She had never heard if them but she got out a loose leaf book and looked it up and said " of yeah it is on the list of things I can Order, I will get some in". I went back a week later and asked about them. Nobody knew anything about it and when I asked to see the lady manager they said she got fired. I guess we will never have them available at the HD here. I have given up trying to deal with them.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2008
6:52 AM

Post #5425461

They are native to africa and the middle east
Heat and sun are favorable.
Just be sure too harden them slowly instead of dropping them into the fire.
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5427155

Thanks for the nice comments and cultural advice everyone. After this one dried out from it's waterlogged condition, it's come along very nicely. It's growing so quickly I think I may need to cut it back to improve the form. (photo taken today) Any suggestions? Haven't repotted yet... trying to find just the right pot.

Home Depots. Lowes, Walmart etc... They get a full credit on returned plants? I don't understand that. I was in one of those place when a supplier was there. She appeared quite frustrated, and I heard her make the comment, "these are all going to die". I guess the overall profit from the big chains are worth the loss to the suppliers. A week or so ago our Walmart had some real nice (well they probably used to be nice) geraniums on their outside display racks that were facing West during temps reaching 107 degrees. Probably 200 or more plants at $6+ each... should I bother to say they were burnt to a crisp. Half of the racks inside that received filtered light were empty. They're probably getting ready or Christmas.

Dlmcgrw... too bad about the fired nursery manager. Maybe was too smart for them.

dp72... I used to come to Waco quite often when my youngest son was in youth baseball. Waco is a nice place, and a pleasant trip from Fort Worth. I've been keeping my plants in morning sun only, well until around noon. I think our afternoon sun would be too much. As the weather cools, I'll gradually be moving mine into more sun. I'm a novice on these, so advice from some experienced growers would help us both.

Here's an interesting link... http://adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

Thumbnail by zacattack

allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5427623

Hi all,
I envy you the HD - we have a good one here but its in Mesa and I'm in central Phoenix (about 25 miles away from me). Here in the Phoenix summer I keep my adeniums in filtered sulight, or morning sun, or just a couple hours of afternoon sun. In the summer I water 2-3 times a week , dilute feeding once a week. As it cools down I dial back the watering and feeding. Once the nights are below 55 degrees I bring my plants inside and only water once a month, if needed.
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5428718

Thanks allgr8dogs... I appreciate the info. I want to be sure to overwinter my new plants properly. That's where I messed up with my first plant.

Dan
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5429912

My best advice to 'overwinter adeniums is
1- buy several large heat pads (real ones for plants not electric blankets)
2- invest in some nice flourescent fixtures 4 bulbs
3- use a blue a true light a red and a yellow bulb in each fixture
4- keep the lights right on top 1/2 inch of the plants
arrange them low to high and anglee the light using chains.
Bottom heat and bright light will help stave rot better than anythiing
Ive lost my share, trust me
I live in Philadelphia
My windows can get cold
The heat pad is an indespensable tool.
Good luck.
and get ready now not when frost hits lol!!
Put the lights on a timer so you dont have to be bothered.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5430466

So I've been told everything in between full sun and 2 hours of sun. I guess I get to take my pick.
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5437129

Hehe. That's quite a range.

They're native to Kenya, so that should give you an idea of the amount of direct sun they prefer. Two hours definitely isn't ideal.

A lot depends on the originating source, and what the plants have been acclimated too. Ours are in full direct sun from about 8 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. during the summer. Most commercial growers, growing for the box stores are growing in 20-30% shade, so you would ideally introduce it to full sun over a period of 10 days or so. Putting them immediately in full sun isn't going to kill them, but they may develop unsightly spots that take time to go away.

Chris
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5445017

Our Phoenix sun is very hard on many plants that are rated for the full sun. Some of it had to do with the high temperatures (hasn't gone over 113 degrees this summer), and dry-dry-dry air. After thinking about it, I should have also included that some of my adeniums are grown as bonsais, and therefore need a little more protection from sunburn. During the monsoon (if we get any rain) the adeniums seem to love the humidity. If you look at some of the astounding plants grown in Thailand, and Viet Nam you will see that they don't appear to be harmed by the humidity, but do have to have extremely well draining mix.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America