-
AuthorContent
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5286183

Does anyone have a recipe for green tomato pickles? I have had the ones that are canned whole using cherry tomato. I don't like alot a garlic in them and that seems to be all I can find. Can anyone help? Thanks for any help.
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5286394

I can post a recipe if you want one, but if the only issue is the garlic, just leave it out. It's not a safety issue to delete garlic from pickled green tomatoes. Pick a recipe with spices you like (if any) and forget the garlic entirely.

Also, any dried spice, dried peppers can be increased or reduced or deleted.

Carol
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5286674

I would like to have your recipe if you have one. I wondered if I could just leave the garlic out but didn"t know if it would have an effect on the taste. I just like the dill taste I can handle a little garlic but very little. I remember there was onions in withthe tomatoes maybe peppers too. It's been a long time since I have had any tomato pickles and I want to show my granddaughter. Thank you.
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #5300312

I will post a recipe tomorrow. Sorry for the delay in response.

Carol
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5304501

Here's a Kosher-Style Dilled Green Tomato with a little garlic. That could easily be left out or you could reduce to 1 small garlic clove or a half clove for less garlic flavor.

This is from "Pickles to Relish" by Beverly Alfeld.

Per Quart Jar:

Fresh, firm green tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon dill seed
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
5-10 peppercorns
1-10 Serrano peppers

Brine:
5 cups white or cider vinegar (5%)
8 cups hot water
1 cup pickling salt
2 tablespoons pickling salt

Heat brine to just boiling in a non-reactive pan. Make sure salt dissolves.

Pack the jars with green tomatoes, quartered or halved depending upon size, garlic, spices and peppers. (I prefer dried red peppers for color and to avoid lowering acidity.)

Do not pack the jars too tightly. Pour over hot brine to 1/2" headspace. Remove air bubbles and add additional brine as needed. Clean rims of jars and add lids and rings. Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes. Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and leave jars to rest 5 minutes then take out.

You can also pasteurize these dilled tomatoes 30 minutes using pint jars. It's a longer time but lower temp for greater crispness. This link explains low-temp pasteurization:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/low_temp_pasteur.html

Here's an alternative recipe from the "Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" for pints. It doesn't call for peppers but dried red peppers could be safely added (not fresh peppers).

Dilled Green Tomatoes

3 1/2 cups vinegar
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup pickling salt
5 pounds small, firm green tomatoes, halved or quartered or green cherry tomatoes
6-7 cloves garlic
6-7 heads fresh dill (or 1/4 cup dill seeds or dried dill)
6-7 bay leaves

This will yield 6-7 pints jars. Follow the instructions above and boiling water bath 15 minutes followed by a 5-minute resting time, as indicated in the previous recipe.

Also, if you're interested in a sweet green tomato pickle, there's a recipe on this GardenWeb Harvest thread of favorites. Just scroll down the page.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0718273429658.html?61

Carol

clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5306583

THANK YOU! I am going to can some of these tonight.

Suny_Freebird

Suny_Freebird
Cedar Bluff, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8725513

Hi Clerkie

Hope your
PGT came out great. I have been doing the same, but I have a different recipe that is sweet rather than dill -- kinda like bread & butter pickles, but with Green tomatoes & different process.
No problem about the garlic. I already made one batch, and am right now in the process of making another because they are so good. I use a dill recipe for my pickles okra & love that too, but the sweet PGT are great -- but of course I know a couple of folks who don't like sweet pickles -- not even the store bought relish (they use dill relish instead).

At any rate, the recipe I shall gladly share with you for the asking.

Have A Grateful Day,

Suny

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America