Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: Fall RU-Food Thread

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 55, Views: 286
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5287521

Please post what you are bringing food wise to the RU. This will help all of us keep track of who's bringing what so if anything is needed someone can bring it.

Me: Tea, coffee, paper plates, bowls for soup if needed, plastic silverware, strawberry pie

Leaflady: Condiments: Katsup, brown mustards & the yellow stuff too, relish, dill pickle & bread & butter pickle slices. Chicken fixed someway, not sure yet how.

lavender4ever: assortment of chips and sodas, dessert-maybe ooey gooey butter cake

AuntB- potato salad, chocolate cake

ellesgh- rabbit and dumpling

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 7:45 PM

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 7:45 PM
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5287779

Condiments: Katsup, brown mustards & the yellow stuff too, relish, dill pickle & bread & butter pickle slices. Chicken fixed someway, not sure yet how.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5288819

assortment of chips and sodas
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 20, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5290709

how about rabbit
elle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5290999

Rabbit sounds good Elle.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

July 20, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5291324

dave said he see
elle
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

July 20, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5291493

HEY AMAAANDAAA, guess who!? Long time no log in-hehe☺ Been busy. Just happenend to think about you & the RU. I dont have any door prizes yet, I dont know what I'll bring to eat either. Taco soup is always a possibility though, ha.
The 27th is fine with us. Everybody at work will be back and school will be in.
We are working on the toad, repairs mostly. They should be done by then. And we'll probably have the dogs again. Is that OK? It will be easier to leave them in the trailer w/ac than it was before. More about that L8R or e-m me if you have a ?☺ lora
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5292611

Hey Lora!! The taco soup was a hit and I think people will be disappointed if they can't have that again. LOL.

The dogs are no problem. :~)

Are you gonna paint the toad or just leave it? You could always add designs on it to really make it look like a toad. hehehe
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5324672

I'd love to have some rabbit killed at the right age & fixed properly. I have been told I always waited too long to kill them so that is the reason we thought it is a dry meat. But we did like it as a meat sandwich filling with Miracle Whip, finely chopped onions and sweet pickle relish. Maybe a little seasoned salt. Maybe not. Do you smother it with BBQ sauce, mushroom soup, etc and bake it? I did that most of the time. Sometimes I ground up the meat and used it with whatever I smothered it with and served over biscuits or potatoes, usually baked.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5444046

Just bumping this up as a reminder. :~)

I also edited my first post to list what everyone is bringing so far.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5444181

Amanda, I'm glad you refreshed my memory. I knew it was the 27th of Sept. but that seemed so far away. Now I realize it is only about 6 weeks off so I need to start getting things together. Mostly the door prizes for men or women who work like men. Probably good hand tools. Hey, guys, what kind of items would you like to get? Please let us know. I hate stabbing in the dark so to speak for something to please someone.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tracy again. Maybe Ann will come? And Marie? How about Alan? They don't live that far from Odessa do they? At least Marie doesn't unless she has moved.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5444202

Marie has moved to Lee's Summit. I will ask Anne and Alan if I remember. I invited Tracy's boss to come also.

greenbrain

greenbrain
Madison, IL
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #5445819

Hey everybody, I've been busy too! Sorry that I can't make it. Taking my daughter to leave her at college this Sunday. We've been busy getting her ready. Had no idea all the stuff that she'd need & we'd have to do. We've already made so many trips to the college for orientation, registration, etc ... I hope that you all stay safe traveling & everyone has a great time. I'll be coming back on later to view some pics. I've got a feeling that I'll be running to my dd's college every chance that I get & still trying to finish up painting the house before cold weather sets in. On the downside, my mother had a heart attack & was in CCU for a while. She's much better now. Have fun & you all are the best!!! Amanda, my flowers from the Spring RU are still growing. Thanks again.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
7:15 PM

Post #5448023

Thanks Amanda, for keeping us organized. I was thinking about potato salad and chocolate cake for food... hmmm, maybe chicken spagetti...not sure, yet.. depends on what's going on then.. I've been picking up odds and ends here and there for the door prizes, things not gender specific, but useful/enjoyable to all. I'm really looking forward to getting reaqquainted with DG'ers I've met and meeting new Dg'ers... (plants and food are a bonus) Elle & Evamae, my Mom would brown the rabbit meat in a skillet, pretty hot to make a nice crust, then she put it in a baking pan with 1/2 inch or so of cow's milk (I'm sure store milk would work too, even 2%, lol) ... not sure how long she baked it, but it was really good and tender.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5448319

I heard from many people that the age of the rabbit when butchered has a lot to do with tenderness and moisture of the meat.

I just heard thunder roll. It has rained off and on all day here. I have the jars washed and ready for the grapes. I just need to get out there and pick some. I haven't been out there since Tuesday afternoon so I don't know how many are picking ripe. Guess I won't find out until tomorrow evening after work or Sat. a.m.

Woops, wrong thread for that last paragraph. Sorry.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5449206

Potato salad would be great!! And chocolate cake...mmmmmmmmm!!!! LOL. I might make my strawberry pie again too. That is really good and always a hit.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5451069

add a dessert to mine too. I was thinking of ooey gooey butter cake. I will bring a few door prizes too.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

August 22, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5451787

it does depend on the age of the rabbit
i make rabbit and dubbeting
spelling ?
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5454472

elle, I think you meant dumplings? Oh, that sounds so good. My mother made wonderful homemade dumplings. So could Jack's mother. Mine are always heavy and so doughy you can hardly eat them. My biscuits are terrible too unless I just make them in one big almost panful. Both of our mothers made good biscuits too.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

August 23, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5456410

yes that what i mean
my mother was a cook
we still hoping to go to round up
do not know if work or not
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5456510

Elle, can you request days off this far in advance and be more assured of getting them? Or just tell them "I will NOT be available on this day/date. Do NOT schedule me or I will call in sick or whatever it takes. Maybe even dead. lol. "
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

August 23, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5457389

it would have to be dead lol
we were thinking about me calling in if i do not have it off
we just have to wait and see
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5467610

Pepper called a while ago. Her computer is down again. She wants us to keep track of what is going on with each thread for her.
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

August 26, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5469756

hi
how thing going?
the weather been good here
dave working on barn
rabbit work is never done
i trying to get thing done for the festival
i hope the weather is nice
i work the next 3 day
poor me (lol)
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5469793

I need to get out to the grape vines and get those grapes picked. Yesterday it looked like a lot of them were ripe. I'll spend the whole day working up grapes. Maybe I can sit in front of the TV to do some of the steming. That can be hard to do tho as I frequently need to run water over them. Once in a while a TV in the kitchen would be handy.

The temps are wonderful today. Another reason to get on out there before it gets hot. Nice breezes blowing too. I must remember to use insect repellant.

GOD bless and keep each of you.
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

August 30, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5486873

Hi everybody. I have 1 request, no more rabbit talk! Please? We used to have a neighbor that would butcher them in his backyard & the screaming was horrible. Forget *Silence of the Lambs*. 20 years & I still hear them. Eat one? Not in this lifetime.

I'll be bringing taco soup, corn chips, cheddar & salsa. I have some door prizes too. Most of them are things anyone can use.

BTW, the toad is getting a new coat----of paint! Dont look for that garrish green! ha
L☺
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5487897

I watched the whole movie Silence of the Lamb once and most of it a second time. It made no sense to me. But then, since it was about a mentally deranged genius and his sick behaviours it would have been hard for it to make sense to a sane person. And if it is done properly, there is nothing to hear.

I started to buy 10# of leg quarters today but decided to wait until closer to the RU to take up the room in the freezer. I'll probably bake them in the oven. But since I get off work at 2:30 on Fridays if I put them out to thaw on Thursday night I should have time to smoke them. Time will tell.

I'm eager to see this toad you keep talking about. I remember seeing the picture and wondering what was wrong with the color it was.

GOD bless and keep each of you. Have a fun and safe weekend.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5499628

The Braeburn apple tree is loaded and ripening early so I'm going to make a crisp for the RU. I'll probably make it next week and freeze it.

Last canner of grape juice is pressuring. Then the pulp to strain and can. Maybe then I can relax.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5501261

I'm thru with the grapes. The last 1/2 of a 5 gal. pail will go to a friend as will some of the apples. We had to pick from one limb to keep it from breaking. It looks ok now that the load has been lightened. Still have lots of apples on it.

I'll try to make the crisp next week and freeze it. Then all I'll have to do is the chicken and condements which I already have most.

Restoril is working. GOD bless and keep each of you.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5510120

It looks as tho we are pretty balanced for a picnic meal. Could use some veggies. The taco soup will have tomatoes in it so that can count to some extent. I'm thinking of cole slaw, KFC style. My niece makes some that is really good. She gets the dressing mix from a local Dutch Country Store and puts cabbage thru the food processor.

AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5519006

Leaflady, I can make coleslaw from scratch instead of potato salad.. X BF's mom taught me how she made it and it's pretty yummy. I'll get a couple heads of cabbage to make a big batch. I'm glad to learn the Restoril is working for you.. bet your kitchen is smelling good with all the fruit canning..
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5519743

That sounds good, AuntieB. I'll do something with some potatoes. Maybe some cheesy scalloped potatoes.
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5519761

That sounds great. Coleslaw it is and a dessert. (and NO rain that weekend, please)
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5521575

I just talked to Pepper. Her mother is furnishing weiners for hot dogs. That will give us 3 meats which should be enough.

I'm going to do the chicken at least 1/2 way cooked in the oven, then finish it on the grill like we have done in the past when we met at the park and could actually grill. I had intended to do that at the RU at my home but rain sort of prevented that.

GOD bless and keep each of you. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone the 27th. Pray I don't end up in the hospital like last time. Actually, do pray that doesn't happen again. I nearly died that time. I just don't want to miss another RU.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2008 5:18 PM
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5524232

I'm hoping no rain this year, if it does, we'll just stand out with umbrella's till the meat is grilled.. I'm praying that doesn't happen to you again, Evamae, I sure missed seeing you at the spring ru, I didn't make it, so I miss all my MWDG friends... there would be a void in my life if something happened to you.. I really look up to you and your inner strength and kindness. I wondered how Pepper and her eye is doing and her computer... I need to get around our DG community a better.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5566485

Bonnie, I talked to pepper a few days ago and she is ok. She should be getting her new computer soon. I'll try to remember to call her tomorrow evening.

As long as we all do what we said will do it should do turn out ok.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5566499

do we have an idea on a head count?
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5567713

Hey everyone, I will be bring my fiancÚ and maybe a friend who is a Ag teacher. I was wondering if there would be a grill available? I would like to make some Brazilian BBQ for you guys to try. If not I will think of something else.
lineace
rural Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5567783

I am baking an apple crisp - the Jonathan apples are wonderful this year. See you all!

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5567907

Allenme,yes, to the best of my knowledge there will be a grill. It looks like maybe up to 15 - 20 people.

Lineace, we will both be bringing apple crisps! Variety will be great. My apples are Braeburns and they are wonderful this year to. We had to pick one each 7, 5, & 4 gallon pails off just one large main branch to keep it from breaking off under the load. It still had a 5 gallon pail of apples on it. I have my apples baked and in the freezer & will add the topping the day of the RU to finish up there.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5569418

I'm Baaaaaccck!!! 2 apple crisps will be needed for sure. lol. I know when we have gatherings with our family one is never enough. We always fight over them. lol

Allanme, we will have a grill so you are more than welcome to use it for your BBQ.

Ok, here is my list so far for food and stuff.

AuntB- coleslaw and chocolate cake

leaflady- condiments, apple crisp, chciken, scalloped potatoes, 3 packs hot dog buns

lavendar- chips and soda, ooey gooey cake

Dave and Elle- rabbit and dumplings-maybe

slow tornado- taco soup, corn chips, shredded cheese, salsa

lineace- apple crisp

allanme- Brazillan BBQ

Me: Grill, coffee, tea, silverware, plates, bowls, 3 packs of hot dogs, veggie tray, glasses, rolls, and foam coffee cups

If anything needs changing or added please let me know.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2008 1:51 PM
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2008
10:43 AM

Post #5571070

Everything sounds so delicious! Brazilian bbq? I love to try new foods, and look forward to meeting you Allan and your fiance and friend. Amanda, I'll bring some napkins/paper towels, that is quite a list you have... I'd bring plates and cups too, but it has to be a day trip for me, so I wouldn't want anything like rain or car trouble to hold up the plates, people would be hungry and cranky if I'm late and they don't have a plate to eat on.. lol
ellesgh
Humansville, MO

September 19, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5571231

oooooooo
i do not know about the rabbit
it might be some thing eles
elle
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5574249

I have lots of drinking 'glasses' I can bring. I can bring plates too, Amanda if you haven't already bought them or have them on hand. I must have 50 or so in a pkg purchased for something and only used a few of them.

The apples cooked down to much to suit me so I'm going to cut up more and bake them alone, then add them to the top of what I already have. Then I'll mix the topping and finish baking it all at Amanda's grandmothers if that is ok with her. Amanda, please check on that form, ok. I can bake it here but it will be nice and warm if I finish it up there.

I've decided to just buy some potatoes, steam them & then decide what to do with them. I would appreciate some input as to how to fix them. Potato salad? Potatoes with onions, garlic, & cheese sauce and baked for awhile?

I need to dig out the storage tub with door prizes and make sure I have everything accounted for and the new ones added to the booty. I will get numbers up to 25 done so we won't have that task to do the day of the RU. I'll have extra blank pieces of paper cut up & ready to number in case we have more than 25 people there.

Elle, anything you want to bring will be more that welcome. Just as long as you and Dave are there. If you don't have time or energy, just come without any food. We always have so much extra that we will be fine. It is hard when you work the evening or night shift to fix a dish unless Dave does it for you or you have it in the freezer ready to thaw and eat.

I'm not going to PG on Sunday as I'm spending that day with Kris and her family. But I am staying over a second night with them & going to PG for a day of volunteering on Monday unless I hear they can't use me. If all the supervisors will be gone or in meetings there won't be anything for me to do. I need to email or call Eric early in the week and see if it is ok for me to come.

Must get ready for bed. Lots to do tomorrow. GOD bless and keep each of you.
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

September 20, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5575218

Big crowd this time. I'll be doubling the soup recipe. 2 times everything!
We have been working on the toad everyday for a couple of weeks. It was ok before, but its going to be really nice when we're done.
Amanda, we may bring it to show off if you dont mind. We are however planning to camp at Linda's. She has offered to make new cushions for it. I cant wait to get rid of those awful cammo things. We'll be staying for almost a week.
How much is admission to PG? I'm looking forward to more of those sweet potato fries!
I have to get to bed. See you in a week:) Lora

Thumbnail by slowtornado
Click the image for an enlarged view.

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5575585

Lora, I didn't mean to scare you into thinking we will have 25 for certain. But if I make that many mumbers just to start out with we will for sure have a good start. I'm not sure how many we will have. Amanda said the other day she thinks she has counted 15 - 20 who have said for sure but we always have some last minute drop outs(like myself)as well as some who haven't said they were coming who do. But you can always use the left over soup for later in the week.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5576825

I will let my grandma know you are staying at Linda's this time. :~) But you still have to show it off to at least me. lol.

I will go back in my threads and see if I can get an accurate number of people coming.

EvaMae, we have plenty of plates and glasses for everyone so don't worry about them.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5576883

Ok, my estimation of15-20 people appears to be on track. Especially if you count guests.

Lora, is Linda and her hubby coming? Also PG admission is $9 a person.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2008
5:44 AM

Post #5600897

Do we need to bring ice for the drinks?
slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

September 26, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5601472

Helloooooo, we are getting ready for the jaunt. Amanda, Linda told me they are not coming this year. She said they are so busy with other things.
Here is a pic of the former *Toad*, it's been transformed into a prince by a magician^_^.
I'am behind the 8-ball & may get run over, so I better get busy. See you tomorrow:)
BTW Amanda, I was only able to get 1 ea. of 3 plants, so no fighting! ha
L☺

Thumbnail by slowtornado
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ellesgh
Humansville, MO

September 26, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5602535

i bring mac and cheese home made but need to put in oven about 15 min or 20 ok
elle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5603119

No problem elle. :~)

Lora, it looks great and sorry to hear that Linda can't come. I have one plant with my name on it and you know which one it is. :~p
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5604229

Condiments are in a bag and ready to get taken to the van in a couple minutes so I won't forget them. The chicken is probably totally cooked in the oven as it wasn't frozen and I probably didn't turn the oven off in time. The crisp is thawed but there is still ice on the bottom of the casserole so it won't see the oven until morning. The potato salad is done. I need to get the hot dog buns out of the freezer and into the van too. I think that is all I am suppose to do. I'll call Pepper in a minute and see. GOD bless and keep everyone. See you tomorrow.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5604245

You are good to go if you have the hot dog buns.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5604251

got the cake done, got chips and soda. Can't wait to see everyone!!! My first round up!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5604278

I am looking forwards to meeting everyone too!! New and familiar faces.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America