Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Are your favorite vegetables in season now?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 79, Views: 714
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

July 21, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5294738

There are a total of 259 votes:

Yes - I love to grill them (what vegetables would that be?)
(45 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Yes, they're great raw - tell us what they are!
(64 votes, 24%)
Red dot

They're not quite ripe yet, but they will be soon!
(65 votes, 25%)
Red dot

No, my favorite vegetables aren't in season now
(24 votes, 9%)
Red dot

I don't have a favorite vegetable
(37 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Other?
(24 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2008
10:41 AM

Post #5294794

Asparagus season has been over for about a month but it was a splendid harvest. Lettuce has been great but with the heat it's starting to bolt. The peas, beans and beets are ready for harvesting now and soon it will be tomatoes, the most welcome of all produce here. Still many others are doing fine - scallions, broccoli, cucumbers, etc.

So while some have passed there's always something to enjoy fresh from the garden. Nothing can compare to eating fresh produce from your own garden.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #5294865

Tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers - yuuuuum! We love to grill them or eat right off the vine (well I rinse them before). This is my first year planting and maintaining organically. I'm thrilled with how well my plants have turned out. Like pirl said, nothing compares to your own home grown veggies (and you don't have to worry about salmonella poisoning either)!
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5295274

Not quite yet, but soon. Maters! Plump, red and sweet. I take the salt shaker with me to the garden and eat them right off the vine still warm from the sun. Juice running down my arm. Yum. Can't wait.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5295500

We've had summer squash for a few weeks now. Boiled and buttered, fried and grilled. One tomato is turning red now, the rest are trying to catch up (catsup, ketchup, whatever!!!) Can't wait for them to get ripe. I've made 12 quarts of dill pickles in the past week and a half with more cukes still coming on. Ahh, the smells and tastes of summer!

Doug
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5295662

Veggie season in S.E. Texas is done for me. I pulled my tomato plants last week in preparation for a fall crop. Cukes are worn out. Haven't picked beans in 2 months. There are still some peppers out there and I'm picking watermelons every other day.

This fall I am getting serious about cole crops. Broccoli, Lettuce, etc.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5295754

Juicy, red maters and Silver Queen corn...both great raw.
Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5295774

Sweet corm & tomatoes are hard to beat.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5295793

Other -- whatever is in season is my favorite!
Kittylover
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5295913

I love Tomatoes - wait they're actually a fruit - mushrooms, onions, potatoes
Lindawalkabout
Holden, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5295991

Oh I love all the veggies,

Like staceysmom, I take the salt shaker out in the garden too and eat those maters. I think thats how I get surprise tomatoes growing from the drips of tomato juice/seeds running down my arms ,lol

Love em when there out of season too, that being the ones I can. I like em right out of the mason jar, almost can pig out on a whole jar. Cold, salt and pepper and a dash of vinegar and nice big dases of tobasco, good stuff.

Picked more greenbeans today and tomatoes. I could not imagine life without a veggie garden on the homestead.

enjoy the seasons harvest :-)

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5296307

Mine are, 'cause I buy them at Whole Foods (did y'all know it originated here in Austin on Lamar Street?!).

I would LOVE to try to grow veggies, but don't have the room.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 21, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5296409

I had to vote other cuz eating greens, chives and herbs and Tomatos not ripe yet. Luv all veggies grilled, raw and steamed. LOL I always need an 'all of the above' button to click in these polls.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5296470

Not quite a vegetable, but its the time of year to go scrumping cherries in the park . . . ;-)

Thumbnail by Resin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5296584

Baby yellow squash grilled!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

July 21, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5296725

No favorite because I like almost all! Especially : snow peas, carrots, new potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, green beans, eggplant, okra...I could go on!
wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
6:13 PM

Post #5296758

Other - just finished the last of the 'taters last night and the 'maters will be ready in another few weeks.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5296906

The summer garden has been through for a month. We start tomatoes again the end of July and then plant for a winter garden the end of September. I miss all the fresh foods from the garden.
twinkielee
Minden, LA

July 21, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5297290

Dry as a bone in north LA, so summer gardens are beginning to play out. Did get eggplants, peppers, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes out of mine and swapped with some friends who had better luck with their squash and beans. Planning a fall garden with greens and onions. I'll use whatever tomatoes don't ripen by frost for chow-chow. Love any vegetable, any time.
retaweze
Saint Landry, LA

July 21, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5297322

There's nothing better than fresh tomato and cucumbers grown in my little garden. I have raised beds and made a watering system with soaker hoses controlled with a timer. This way I get to enjoy gardening without a lot of hard work once it garden area was all set up. I even put down landscape fabric all around the beds so that I don't have to mow grass between the beds.

Thumbnail by retaweze

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 21, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5297445

I voted other, It is kind of hard to pick a favorite when they are fresh from your own garden. We had our radishes, salad greens and peas. Green beans are still coming in, We have only had one tomato, but when they start look out. The sweet corn is getting very close. The storm nearly flattened all the stalks but I am sure it will come back up. If not I guess I will just have to stoop over to pick those tender sweet goodies. My cucumbers are blooming and I'm training them to go up a fence. We had a late spring, too cold and wet to plant when it all needed planting. I guess it is better late than having none. Now I just thought of one that would be very close to a favorite. My Sweet potatoes. They are coming along great. I planted several varieties. One is vardaman I am liking the way the plants are getting bigger, without sending vines all over the garden. Now if they just come close to matching the yields of the centennials I have used in the past, They could very well be my choice, for years to come.
Here was from one hill last year.

Thumbnail by randbponder

Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5297468

My fav is a big tomato sandwich from the garden on soft white bread with mayo. I have harvested tomatos and cukes so far. My bell and habenero and hungarian peppers are kinda late this year. Wax and green beans almost done but the pole beans are just flowering. Snow peas done and dug up. And my best horseradish will be ready in the fall!
Pic of some of my tomatos from 7/13/08 GM

Thumbnail by Grandmaggie

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5297510

Grandmaggie, I agree with you. My late step father and I would always eat tomato sandwiches with mayo!
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5297853

We are eating everything but tomatoes and eggplants.
We love them all, raw or grilled, so I had a hard time deciding on one choice to go with.
We have had peas, lettuce, herbs, and are now eating peppers, green beans, summer squash and cukes.
Love it! Love it! It is so great to go "shopping for supper" in my yard. ;)
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5298193

Grandmaggie and gessiegail, we call those mater sandwiches "sink sandwiches"...so juicy you have to stand over the sink to eat 'em.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5299015

I love picking sun-warmed veggies from my garden and eating them raw! I've had cukes, zukes, and other summer squash for the past two weeks. . . maters are juuuuusst starting to turn red (but not much). My lettuce is beginning to bolt. I'm growing the "tromboncini" Italian zucchini this year--an exceptionally vigorous vining plant that has made a break for it out of my fenced garden and is heading down the driveway. The squash are pale green and amusingly curved. Delicious raw when they're tiny.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5299096

mmmmmmmmmmm tomatoes - fresh in plain bread with mayo, or toasted sandwiches, or grilled red tomatoes, with lots of butter, salt & pepper, over bread.
OR leaf lettuce in a big humungeous bowl with just salt & eat it by the handfuls.
OR boiled, then grilled sweet corn
OR baby tatoes...swimming in butter!!!!!!!
aw heck - ALL of 'em!!!!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 6:23 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
1:32 AM

Post #5299181

Tomatoes, green peppers, cukes and yellow squash. YUM!!!
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5299381

maters! They are coming in strong right now. I just blanched 5 bags and will do more this weekend.
d
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5299635

Watermelon, crenshaw cantaloupe, and corn are favorites here...crenshaws not ripe yet.
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5299768

I love nightshades & squashes. Eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers...time for ratatouille and an assortment of Italian delights, followed by sweeter squashes for pie and soups. Honorable mention to root veggies, esp. beets & turnips.
If only the rest of my household felt the same...hubby prefers legumes & broccoli. Cooking is fun.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 22, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5300016

One good thing from the (misdirected) salmonella scare is that I have come to absolutely LOVE grape tomatoes - better than other cherry types!!
ritapg
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #5300324

hey! sugar snap peas! right off the vine ... just browse through the garden, munchies! not ready yet, and who knows when -- talk about slow, cool season!
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #5300530

Oops! I forgot that tomatoes aren't a vegetable, lol! But I did vote that mine aren't quite ripe but will be soon. We had a very wet, cold spring that lasted forever and we're playing catch up right now - won't be long now though - I think we're going to set a record for continuous hot days - been in the 90's (mostly) for about 3 weeks now I think - maybe more.
catlady
Gilmer, TX

July 22, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5300740

Sliced tomatoes served with okra fried in buttered flavored Crisco.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5300741

3 words: Silver Queen corn.
Grilled in the husk. Yummmmm!
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5300893

DebinSC, ever tried microwaving it? I had not until someone told me about it and we've never looked back!! DH used to say grilling was best but until you've tried this way...yum, so tender.
Don't even husk it, place in microwave for 7 mins, you would adjust for more. When taken out and removing the husk, all of the silk comes off with it.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 22, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5301746

bugme - you are SO right about microwaving corn!!!!!!!! I cannot believe those huge buckets of water I would get to boiling so as to enjoy this - no more, never again!!!!!!! I just trim the silks w/ the scissors and any nasty leaves are removed. The entire cleaning is SO much easier after microwaving. I just use a hand towel to strip everything off ----- oooooooo la la (oh yeah - check pointy end for any grubs that might be there - sometimes you find one!)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5302281

I'm tapping my toes and waiting for the local sweet corn and tomatoes to arrive. And yes, I eat them both raw. I like most veggies raw instead of cooked, even potatos and peas.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5302664

Fresh ripe tomatoes right off the vine are numero uno! Then, "Silver Queen" Corn, sweet bell Peppers, Cucumbers, Snap Green Beans, Sugar Snap Peas, Potatoes & Onions. YUM, YUM, YUM!
Grandmaggie
Beachwood, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5302671

Cant wait to try the micowave corn next time I get some!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 22, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5303205

Anything in season ...love all the veggies! right now we are harvesting root veggies (baked in a little olive oil with garlic and herbs and served with a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar) ...mmmmm
here are some of my bumper crop of Jerusalem artichokes. I also am really enjoying spinach in frittata, tarts and quiches.
It's Winter here.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5303640

Bugme and Wannadanc: I've never heard about microwaving corn. Hmmmm. Hard to believe anything could taste as good as grilled, but - hey - I'll give it a try! :)
Deb
DanceyTx
Midway, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5303965

#1 Fav is Tomatoes! Yum!
jjpm74
Stratford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
6:10 AM

Post #5305898

I'll just say that from now thru November, there are a multitude of locally grown delicious vegetables and fruits to be enjoyed.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5306341

My absolute fav is cauliflower. I'm probably the only one to vote for it. I love it raw, so that's what I voted for, but I also steam it frequently. It's great with a little parmesan cheese sprinkled over it. DH loves it, too, so no problem there. He's waiting on tomatoes, though. In the meantime, he's eating cucumber salads every day.

Sweet corn...nothing better. I have to try it in the microwave the way bugme describes. I have done it husking it first and I didn't like it. Our local corn isn't in yet, but they're bringing it in from further south and it's pretty darn good!
aspenbooboo41
Whitehall, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5309022

Fresh tomatoes topped with mozzarella, basil and olive oil. Sweet corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper.
That's what I'll be eating almost daily for the next couple months. And loving every minute of it. :-)

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5312533

vegetables?? yuk
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 24, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5312738

palmbob I don't think 'yuk' is a vote LMAO :-)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 24, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5312753

Corn on the cob on the grill YUMMMMMMM!!!! Can't beat Jesery corn.
I'll have to try the microwave thing but I have my doubts.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5312775

Aspenbooboo41 - YUUUUUMMMMM!
Palmbob - LOL!
Flowerjen - Although I don't micorwave corn very often (I like to grill mine too). It does taste pretty darn good (if it's not over done).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5313229

I love em all, no favorites here, all of the above!
boojum
Shelburne Falls, MA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5313595

Sweet corn-I love to boil them and eat them on the cob with butter and salt.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5313699

Ack, I used to do that, now I boil them for 3-4 min and just eat them straight!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

July 24, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5313829

You want some GOOD corn sliced off the cob? ...in shallow pan, melt butter, cook corn, add cream cheese to melt, and some Tabasco Chipotle seasoning and you have yourself some mighty fine grub there. You CAN do it w/ frozen corn, but it is so much better w/ fresh. (Guarantee that all the calories will be removed when you add that chipotle seasoning!!!)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5313841

Plus you'll burn them off slicing the kernels off the cob.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5314323

OK, OK, here's my Breakfast Pizza recipe, which makes use of those maters that are just coming in for me. (This is for those folks who don't mind a slightly untraditional breakfast that is also very healthy!)

Toast one slice whole wheat bread.
While bread toasts, walk outside and collect a handful of cherry tomatoes. (Sungold is great!) Slice several in half.
Spread 1-2 tablespoons of ripe avocado on toast. (Guacamole can also be used.)
Place tomatoes, cut side down, on top of avocado-covered toast.

Eat! Yum!

MaryLynn321
Manitowoc, WI

July 24, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5314628

I have just picked my first good crop of yellow wax beans. Another crop will be ready by Sunday. Green Beans will be ready late next week. Kohlrabi are ready and delicious, and should have Broccoli late next week. Looking forward to making my cream of broccoli soup.

By the way. I am Mary/MaryLynn from Wisconsin.

Have a great evening.

Hugs Mary

PS, don't mind the crooked rows, this is just part of my garden. First one I have had in many many years. Forgot how I did the rows, LOL.

Thumbnail by MaryLynn321

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5314821

I picked other. My squash and tomatoes have been ready for a few weeks and I love the tomatoes raw and the squash grilled, pan fried, and stirfried. I have yellow squash, zucchini, several kinds of tomatoes and some cantaloupes that are not quite ready. I couldn't handle a larger garden this year so I just put a few plants around my yard along with the flowers.

Thumbnail by cactuspatch

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5315962

tomatoes & cucumbers ... love em both

Jen... Michele gave me a corn microwave container... I haven't tried it yet though
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 25, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5315977

Just a very important addendum on wannadanc's contribution. It's a fact. If it tastes good, it's good for you. Everyone knows that right????? It's very important with respect to the chocolate food group. If you don't have your required daily servings you will get very,very sick and probably die. Everyone knows that right?????? oops OT so back to our beloved vegggies.
emillner
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5317293

Tomatoes on the grill with a little olive oil and kosher salt is the essence of summertime dining at our house. Garnish it with some basil right out of the garden and fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano and you won't want anything else on the plate.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5318074

Welcome Mary! You're going to love the people here at DG! Nice big garden. I don't have a vegetable garden yet... going to get it dug up and ready to plant next spring... can't wait. Right now I just have one tomato plant and one green pepper plant growing in containers.
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5318177

Just starting to get some grape tomatoes and cucumbers. Can't wait for the larger tomatoes! Green peppers are almost ready.

Although not a vegetable, my blueberries are ripe! They are great this year!
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5318230

MaryLynn321, your garden looks great -- very healthy-looking plants. There's nothing wrong with crooked rows -- after all, you can fit more veggies in a crooked row than in a straight one!
rntx22
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5319053

I like to grow veggies because it's fun to grow food and they are pretty... but I don't really like to eat veggies. I'd give my produce away. Right now the cucumbers and eggplants are looking really good. And the peppers have been fantastic all summer! If there was a cheese plant or a dark chocolate truffle plant, I'd be all over it! And yes, I know I could grow cacao... but it would be too hard to convert that into chocolate goodies! And for that manner... how about a real money tree ???? LOL
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5319901

my favorite is sweet corn :) and it's not there yet! soon, I hope
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5322040

other: ALL vegetables are my favorites LOL
wollemia
Martin, TN

July 26, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5322896

The cucumber crop is bountyfull this year. My favorite (Lemon Cucumber) which is a small round form is giving me about 50 cucumbers from one hill each day... a crisp form that eats just like an apple strait from the vine. For fresh eating cucumbers this one is on top of my list... Pearl Cucumber is another great flavored one but less productive.
Hibiscus
Lima, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5323177

Plenty of rain earlier, had three Big Boy ripe maters " BLTs", also had plenty of asparagus( cooked in microwave).
JanetS
Braselton, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5326831

Love them all! FRESH IS BEST for sure!
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5327608

LOCAL CORN!!!!!
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

July 27, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5327819

Tomatoes, squash, cauliflower, lettuce, peas...yummm

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5328367

I could never, never choose a favorite. Whatever is in season is my favorite, I guess. I CRAVE asparagus and fresh, just-picked spinach. Right now, I am craving that first tomato so much, I can almost taste it! I love to eat beans and peas straight from the vine, cucumbers. . . One of my favorite foods is gazpacho, made all from vegetables I grew myself. And I love my Mom's version of BLT's--she puts bacon and a big slab of fresh tomato on hearty bread, lays a slice of cheese on top, and puts it under the broiler just until the cheese bubbles and melts down over everything. Forget the lettuce!

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5329506

I grew up with veggies in the garden every summer, so when I bought my first house 15 years ago, I was bitterly disappointed to discover that I didn't have adequate sun for veggies. Last year we took down several trees to build an addition. I now have one very small patch of yard that gets 6 hours of sun. So, for the first time since I was a kid, I have two tomato plants growing in pots and they are loaded with beautiful tomatoes! I can hardly wait until the first one turns red. I look at them every day, sometimes a couple times a day to see if they have started!
isom
Mission BC
Canada
(Zone 8b)

July 31, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5349916

Some people have a single favourite vegetable?!!? Hard to believe. I love almost all fresh vegetables (except for parsnips) & could eat them for breakfast, lunch & supper. Just answering this thread is making my mouth water. :-) It's funny but while I enjoy fresh fruit, I don't like them nearly as much as I love vegetables. I guess my love affair with vegetables is one reason I'm still slim & healthy at 58. I miss fresh veggies so much in winter but where I live, there's still a good selection of many vegetables in the fresh markets during winter but not like summer.
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

July 31, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5350286

I'm with isom here! One favorite veggie?? No such thing. However, I will draw the line at okra. Slimy. I've heard it described as snot from the ground...

(Isom, try parsnips cooked the way Julia Child suggested -- boil them in some lightly salted water until fork tender, then puree in a food processor. Take the puree and put it in a double boiler and cook over slowly simmering water for another 30 minutes or so. It brings out the sweetness, and they're delicious. To make them even better, serve in zucchini boats...)

However, now that asparagus is over and the lettuce has bolted and my tomatoes are sagging in the heat, I've got EGGPLANT!! I love the stuff. I've loved it since I was a child. Fried, baked, roasted, pureed, I love it. EGGPLANT!!!!
hopflower
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5371651

No; I love the autumn and winter veggies the best.
isom
Mission BC
Canada
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #5450726

Sorry, mgpaquin, there's NO way to make parsnips taste good (except to bury them in the garbage). I know they're sweet - it's the other part to their taste I so dislike. Something about that makes me gag - a sickly sort of taste (to me). But okra! I love it. It's not so much slimy as containing a plant gum. I especially like it in an East Indian dish I make & doesn't seem slimy to me at all. I suppose I'll forgive you for not liking okra if you don't mind me disliking parsnips. :-)
mgpaquin
Savannah, GA

August 23, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5454631

isom, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree! Every time I see okra in the supermarket I'll send a happy thought your way!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America