Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: Some progress....

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 14, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #5295093

...Well, the HUGE outlay I had started for the 2008 season, back in March indoors, and after debacle after debacle, resulted in three healthy (COMPARATIVELY) swan gourd plants on my back fence, that have been producing endless male blossoms and rare females. Most common are "gourdlets" that have been "starting" WITHOUT the female flower blossoming/getting pollinated yet! And because the gourdlet is not viable, it starts to shrivel and die off, taking the unopened female blossom with it... (see pic for an example of one of the "gourdlets - or "gourd-NOTS")...

Thumbnail by jipsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5295116

...HOWEVER, Hallelujah! TWO female blossoms did appear and I was able to hand pollinate them a couple weeks ago...! :-)
NOW, I have a grand total of TWO swan gourds "in progress" and they're growing quickly. One is really frustrating me in that it wants to grow out in a twisted, malformed kind of way, not matter how well I position it. Any suggestions?
The other is "dropping" fine, so far...

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5295126

Here's the "better" swan gourd (nicer shape):

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5295157

And the BEES HAVE ARRIVED! (Where have you'se guys been, anyway???) LOL

They now reside happily at my "gourd tree", where a dozen or more are busy pollinating the mini gourd plants there (spinner/Tennessee Dancing Gourds, mini bottle, egg and round "coyote" gourds).
This all took place about 1 week ago, and I first discovered the bees by an almost-accident:
early morning, I'm out to pollinate any new female flowers, saw one, reached to pluck up a male and FROZE, my hand inches away, when I saw the blossom was OCCUPIED by "sleeping" bees!!
I'm allergic to bee/wasp sting. Hospital kind.
Thank God my reflexes were fast.

Since a week ago, I've done nothing but water the "tree" at dawn and sometimes late afternoon, and the plants are THRIVING, producing a new viable miniature everyday, it seems...
Very satisfied with the progress here, at least.

:-)

jip

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
1:01 PM

Post #5295163

Another pic of the three "spinners" on the branch (there are about six more around the containers, but these were the most photogenic!)...

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5295169

A couple of the mini egg gourds (there are two or three LARGER ones around, but the bees are really defensive today, so I could only snap a quick shot of these newer little guys!)... OR are these COYOTE gourds? They seem awfully ROUND compared to what I;ve seen in egg gourds... Any comments?

Thumbnail by jipsi

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5295174

Looking good, jipsi!!!

There are alot of us here that have had to resort to hand pollination in order to get any gourds.

It is so nice to see some progress, isn't it?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 8:08 AM
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5295249

Syrumani.

I've hand-pollinated my gourds, period, because there just aren't a lot of pollinators up here for those evening blossoms...
the PROBLEM, this year, has been that, instead of a female flower appearing, with a tiny bump beneath it, that gets BIGGER after it gets pollinated, I'm getting an almost fully-formed gourdlet on a NON-blossom (you can see at the base of the gourdlets where the blossom should be, but it's stunted, and NEVER blossoms, never opens...).
Does that make sense? They're just not "normal" this year... it's like something is wrong in the female blossom department: I'm just not getting any TO pollinate! Just these stunted little gourdlets with a null stump where the blossom SHOULD be... ;-(
EXCEPT, one morning, there were TWO fully-formed (although a little anemic looking) FEMALE BLOSSOMS, and I pollinated them lickety split. But that's been it. Nothing else, just those two, so far...

Was wondering if there's some fertilization or soil factor that would cause this... I had NO problems last year...

Below is a pic I posted a week or two ago elsewhere: it shows the odd "gourdlets-without-blossoms" better than I can describe...

Thumbnail by jipsi

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5296250

I'm finally getting alot of male blooms on my vines . . . and only 2-3 female flowers. I'm wondering if it's possible to save the pollen from the males somehow - maybe put it in the fridge? - then use it when the females do open up . . . I'll have to look into that . . .
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5296347

The leaves on a Buffalo Gourd is much different than regular gourds...and different from the Coyote Melon...although both gourds look alike on the vine...and the shells of both are much thinner than our domestic gourds...Jo

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/364098/
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5299004

Roadrunner:

Interesting.. I've heard of Buffalo gourds, but didn't plan anything with those in mind this year (maybe next?)...
I had CAREFULLY planted and labeled/color coded my regular (swan, bushel, cannonball) and mini starts (egg, mini bottle, mini bushel and spinner... then a lady sent me some coyote gourd seeds and I planted those as well!) this past March; my careful (I'd THOUGHT) shelving COLLAPSED one morning, dumping everything upside down and together. It took me two days just to figure out if it was worth salvaging anything from the tangled, broken heap of leafy starts and potting soil/mangled peat pots... Most didn't make it.
Of the few I saved, I just put them all into containers or the ground based on their leaf shape alone: the distinct leaves of the minis directed me to put those in the containers (my gourd tree), the others went along a backyard fence.
So I KNOW the unstriped mini's in my pics are eggs or coyote for sure, just don't know WHICH yet...

I only have THREE regular (all are swan) gourd plants this year, and of those, only two viable gourds are growing. Ah, well...

jip
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5299118

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/73107/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58001/

Here are the two types of wild gourds we have here...Jo
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5300021

Roadrunner:

THANKS! Those pic links helped enormously: now I know definitely that the 'other' (besides the tennessee spinners) gourds in my mini area are NOT Coyote or Buffalo, so I'm going with egg...
Their leaves are not even a close match for the Buffalo OR Coyote gourds...
And they don't have any hint of a neck coming in, so I can rule out mini-bushel, I suppose.

The little Spinners' leaves are EXACTLY like these, however:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/99884/

It's such a disappointment, knowing how I had everything so planned, and ended up with little more than two or three types of gourds this year, and only one or two plants of those each, at most.
No Cannonball (the ones I REALLY had high hopes for), no bushel (I REALLY had wanted to see how my last-year-Biggun seeds would fare as parents), no mini bushel or coyote or sennari/mini-bottle...(heavy sigh).
But I'm determined to enjoy and LOVE the babies I've been given as survivors to foster...

jip
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5300054

Glad I could help.

Most of the wild gourds II see here in my area are the Buffalo Gourds...but up at a higher elevations I see some of theCoyote Melons...now, I'm not certain that the elevation has anything to do with it...but here in the valley all I see are the Buffalo Goruds.

Farizon, who lives about 2 hours away from me in Bowie, only has the Coyote Melon...so she brings me some once in a while...so after they are dried I can't tell the difference in them. Jo
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5335330

Those blooms look like the same thing my squash did year before last! I had a million blooms, and only about 5 squash! I bought the plants, I figured they were planted in the wrong sign!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America