Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: The Lazy Gardener's Vegetable Pond: Cool Idea!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Lazy Gardener's Vegetable Pond
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Lazy Gardener's Vegetable PondReplies: 13, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5295204

I think this is such a cool idea! I could see doing this in yard. Adding things around the outside to make it look attractive is a great idea too! I can invision lot of thing to do with those pond forms!! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5295962

You are one creative gardener! I couldn't help but smile at your pride over your first water melon. Good luck and may you continue to harvest.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5296889

Thank you both. This has been a really fun project for me.

My granddaddy grew watermelons in Virginia. We'd go every year to visit them on my dad's 30 day leave from the service. We didn't get there until June though, so they were already mostly grown by then. When I saw that first little bitty watermelon I really was excited. I don't know what in the world I thought before I saw it. I guess I expected it to start out full size and ready to eat! HAHAHA

Janet
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5297475

Hey Janet, great idea and great article. I have an old bathtub that we used as a water trough until the bottom cracked. The last two years, I grew potatoes in it. this year, it has onions and carrots ( a "leeky" tub, according to a librarian friend). The bonus, beyond all the other good things about it, is that you don't have to get down on your hands and knees to weed.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5297607

Hi Kathleen! Thanks!

That is too funny. I was just taking a drink of iced tea when I read the "leeky" tub comment. I sprayed the iced tea all down the front of my shirt because I was laughing so hard.

This kind of gardening brings "container" gardening to a whole new level, doesn't it?

Janet

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5297715

Amazing and very creative! I never would've thought you could grow watermelons in a container, even a big one like that--that is exciting!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5297794

Technically, the roots are in the container, but the vines and melons are crawling along the ground. ^_^

Every time I look out there, they've crawled a bit further toward my driveway. It'll be time to head them back to the pond form soon.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5298122

I have a question...did you put any holes for drainage in the bottom of these?
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5298186

hehe, that's one way to a. cool down and b. tea dye your shirt!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5298788

Yes Nanny, I did. I drilled a whole bunch of holes! There's a photo up there somewhere of all of the holes I drilled. That photo is pretty small though. Here's another photo of the holes that were drilled in the large form.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 7:38 PM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Click the image for an enlarged view.

UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 22, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5298794

Here's a larger photo of the other pond that was drilled.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5299474

DUH!!!! I went back and saw it plain as day!! thank you!
angele

August 5, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5369539

Oh wow!!! Perfect... love that you planted the green onion roots! I love green onions! If I can find some pond forms I'm going to try this :-)))))
mmmm I'm so hungry for a salad!
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 5, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5369812

Watch garage sales. Also, check with Lowe's and local hardware stores for summer clearance sales. The large one was purchased at a hardware store for $20. There was a miniscule hole in it that my hubby repaired with a soldering iron. It held water for quite a few years, until the hurricane. The other pond form was purchased at a garage sale for a couple of bucks. I do love finding treasures like those.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Lazy Gardener's Vegetable Pond Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good job! crittergarden 4 Jul 11, 2012 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America