-
AuthorContent
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5295292

I have a Nikon Coolpix5000 with a Nikon Speedlight SB-600. It has been a great little camera, but now it isn't working right. The flash hesitates too long, the monitor doesn't work at all, and sometimes the shutter doesn't work.

So - I am in the market for a new camera. I know nothing about them.

I need something with a good flash, as there is low light in my apartment. I would like to be able to take pictures from the balcony - scenery, the geese below, the birds... I need a good zoom. I probably won't take as many closeups of flowers like I used to.

Any suggestions ? I really appreciate your expertise. Thanks !
serenity93
Moncks Corner, SC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5295440

The big question is really how much money are you willing to spend? Do you want to stay with the Nikon brand? There are new coolpix cameras, I'm sure Canon has comparable cameras as well. I cannot speak to that end as I use Nikon, so perhaps someone else can help you with the Canon. I'd consider upgrading to the SB-800. Should you decide to step up to a more expensive DSLR camera and want a good zoom, then perhaps a telephoto is what you're wanting, an inexpensive Nikon 18-200 VR lens is an excellent "all around" lens, but so is the Tamron 28-300. Many of the Nikons are being sold as a kit with an 18-135 or the 18-200 VR. There's definitely a lot more to it, and it can get reallllly confusing. The big thing is really how much you're willing to spend and how much you'll be using it to make it worth the money.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5295543

I really like Nikon. This has been an excellent camera for me. How much do I want to spend - hmmm.

Not over $600.

As for the zoom, I don't want something that I have to attach. Overall, I want a camera that turns on, zooms or not, and knows when to flash.

Does that make any sense ?
serenity93
Moncks Corner, SC
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5296527

Sure does. Now don't tell anyone, but I have a little Canon Powershot S70 that I've had for years that is the coolest little camera! (It takes movies too) It is the only real experience I have with point and shoot cameras but they don't make them anymore, so I'm afraid I'm at a loss for giving any further advice. However, I can recommend www.dpreview.com as my favorite website to look up new stuff, not only because of the reviews, but they have forums from which you can gain a lot of information. Hope that helps. :) Here's a picture of one of my guys, all ears, appropriately in front of all ears. :)

Thumbnail by serenity93
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5297074

serenity93 - Thanks for the link and all your advice.

Beautiful dog ! Looks like he is smiling !
topcat322
Gretna, LA

November 6, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5760488

I recently bought a sony alpha 200 dslr. I love it . I bought it online from AM photo world. I suggest to any body before buying a camera locally to check out the prices online. Try some of the good websites such as abes of maine, broad way photo and am photo world. Teresa
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5760553

I'm looking at a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 with 18x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom. The lens is made by Leica.

Its just under $300 and, from what I read, marketed as an "in between" camera. Have seen some who use Nikons professionally use the Lumix as a bang around, easy to carry camera.

Haven't seen much negative about it so if anyone does have negative information, I'ld appreciate hearing it before I buy.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5760584

My Olympus SP-550UZ (for Ultra Zoom) is a splendid camera with 18x optical zoom, image stabilization, 7.1 MP. Uses rechargable AA batteries, also. It is probably discounted a good bit now since it has been on the market for maybe two years ?. Very easy to use. I always use it on AUTO. Great macros. I can't think of any minuses. I've had several Olympuses and they are top notch although Canon arranges with many box stores to dominate the popular consumer market in walk-in places like Wal-Mart or Worst Buy or places like that.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2008
8:29 AM

Post #5793050

dp...the Olympus SP-550UZ has a 20X zoom now. Same price as the Panasonic Lumix I mentioned above. Got an Olympus SP-310 at Walmart several years ago for under $200 and its been a great camera for the price. Close-ups are crystal clear but noise is a problem with long shots. That's why I'm looking at your suggestion and other bridge cameras. Not a very wide a price gap between them and the point and shoots.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5793287

Hi, David Paul. I believe the camera you're talking about (20X) is the 570UZ, and the MP have been increased from 7.1 to about 10. I hope you will seriously consider it.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5808210

Dp...I was actually looking at the 565UZ when I typed 550UZ ...^_^

And now I see there is a 570UZ.

A confusing mix of names, numbers and letters and a seemingly endless series of models isn't unique to Olympus. They all do it I guess. Makes comparision difficult. I am looking at the lastest bridge Olympus...the model you cite...but will probably go with the Panasonic because of the Leica lens and less than average shutter lag. Going to be taking indoor shots of people and need something that appromixates what reporters used and maybe still do use: a Nikon with TRI-X 400 film. Want to avoid using a flash if possible and reviews say ISO 400 is acceptable on the Panasonic (it goes higher of course )
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5808277

Hi, David. Please let us know how you like the Panasonic. The last Panasonic I had was so long ago it used a floppy disk for storage! One MP I believe. And it cost a fortune compared to what you get these days for your money.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #5813515

Country Mom, Nikon lenses are wonderful. I have a little Fugi Finepix that has a Nikkor lens and it takes wonderful photos. I am not sure if it isn't also made by Nikon as the cameras look very much alike. Check them out if you are still looking.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5813737

I have used a "cheapish", Polaroid Digital camera for 2 years now, I REALLY does everything--and only costs about $80. SO simple!!!
I won mine at a Company X-Mas party...and, really have NO complaints...it is beyond simple, and works well...until the last month! At my daughter's wedding last weekend --it froze in the middle of taking a picture. NOTHING worked!!!! I had brought a new set of batteries (thinking ahead) and, even when put them in the camera, the lens would not recede! It was just STUCK!

WAY after tis event--my new SIL found out that if he removed the memory card, he could get the lens to retreat. He "proclaimed" that the Memory card was at fault...that I should buy a new one...
OK!!!! My camera is now a well-used, World traveled instrument--has served me well!

I am open to buying a new digital camera...EVERYONE I have asked says "Get a Sony"!
I mostly use my camera for nature photography and would love a super quality lens for Macro-close-ups. I also would appreciate an easy to use camera. I am, somewhat, technologically challenged...WHAT would you suggest?

I DO NOT want a Kodak Easy Share!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! Had it! It invaded all my Programs--and is hard to delete and get rid of...

What would any of you suggest?????

Thanks, Gita

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5830420

I ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix 3200. I also bought the flash attachment. It all cost around $600. I am very happy with it. I can take indoor pictures without using the flash. I feed the birds on my balcony, and this camera takes great pictures through the glass without leaving a flash on the image. My old camera was a Nikon, and the program for it works for the new camera too. That made the transition easy.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5830483

It's hard to go wrong with a Nikon. I was floored when I read that someone said everyone was telling her to buy a Sony. Sony products, esp. their AV products, are less than desirable when it comes to reliability and longeivity. In alphabetical order, the best camera choices are Canon, Nikon and Olympus. I will champion Olympus until my dying day (or until they quit making such an excellent product), but there is no question that Canon has the best marketing people and has won over many reviewers with free products and whatever techniques they use to curry favor. Canon also strikes deals with the box stores to showcase their cameras, and so they sell a lot more than the other two. They also spend a fortune on advertising. It pays off, or they wouldn't continue to do it. When I bought my most recent camera, I almost went with Nikon just to spread the money around, but I am so comfortable with Olympus I stayed with them. I had to mail order, though. I'm not in a large city, and at most stores here there are 10 Canons for every other brand.
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5830577

I've used Canons for 50 years and have been very satisfied. My only digital cameras are a couple Olympus Stylist models. Very compact and functional, the pictures they take almost are as good as film shots and a whole lot more convenient. I agree with dp as to his choices. All three are excellent cameras and it would be hard to go wrong choosing any one of them. The only factors are how much you can spend and do you want point and shoot or dslr ?
Cmom, I betcha your new Nikon will be a really great camera. Be sure to post the photos you take with it.
serenity93
Moncks Corner, SC
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5847543

When it comes to photography and cameras it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're happy taking snapshots of your garden to share, then most any of the smaller cameras will do. However, as with most things, the more specifics you want, the more you will pay. While there will always be photographers out there that can shoot the perfect shot with any camera you give them (that is not me.) The truth of the matter is, you don't get a sweet tight depth of field with a lens that opens no more than f5.6, you don't get a superior shot of a hummingbird 50 ft away with a camera lens that maxes out at 85mm. And a 1:1 focal ratio is just that, equivalent to true size. You will get a photo taken of the actual size of whatever it is you're shooting. When it comes to DSLR, the amount of money you are willing to put into it is what you get out of it. You wouldn't expect a Ford Mustang (even the 2010 model) to perform like a Ferrari. Most people are not here looking to buy cameras because they want to shoot professionally, so from someone who does; if you want the super close up picture, a "decent" lens is going to a run a few hundred dollars in addition to the camera, these would be the Tamron and Sigma lenses which are perfectly good lenses. The one that's going to give you the really tack sharp picture with everything else nicely fuzzed around the edge of it? That's going to run about $1500 (for the 105mm f2.8 Nikkor / Nikon at least) which is what I use primarily for garden and insect pictures. I can't express the importance of doing research first so you know what you're getting into. :) If you want a really good camera so you can get really good photographs of your garden, of your trips, of your friends and family in and around the house, AND you want one with an interchangeable lens 'just in case you may want to dabble a little more later on' grab one of the lower end Nikon cameras such as the D60 or D90 or the Canon equivalent, make sure you get package deal where they come with a "kit lens" which will give you a wide range like 18-200mm which is really good for most anything. If you plan on doing inside photos I strongly recommend the SB-600 for the Nikon (I'm not sure of the Canon equivalent.) Why am I only discussing Nikon and Canon? They have the market cornered. If you want to find *anything* you'll be able to find it for either of those. Sony, Pentax, etc. are all good quality cameras, but if you need to get anything fixed? Good luck! Make sure you get a camera bag. You don't want to spend all this money and then not have a secure place to put your valuable equipment! :) Oh yes, then you have to consider which of the many editing software programs out there is the best one for you!... ;)

Thumbnail by serenity93

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5847766

Serenity...exactly right. All depends on what you want to do.

Nikon and Canon do not support RAW in their ultra-zoom "bridge" cameras (Nikon Coolpix P80, Canon SX10 IS). Being able to edit in RAW, more shots per battery charge than the Nikon and a Leica lens (brighter than the equilavent Canon zoom) is why I'm tending toward the Panasonic FZ28. For others, a lower F stop isn't a priority and saving photos directly as jpgs is fine.

But all those considerations are only for that segment of the market. Step up to a DSLR, a point and shoot with a larger sensor or step down to a less expensive camera and the pluses and minuses of each brand are different.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2008
11:56 PM

Post #5852325

I've had a couple of Olympus cameras, then got a Sony H2. Now I'd never buy anything other than Sony..

I just bought the Sony H50 and absolutely love it.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 25, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5927703

Well, I just received the Panasonic FZ28 as a gift. What a surprise!

Now, the hard part ... I have never taken a photography class in my life, but I'm tired of taking mediocre shots. I've just gotten by with point and shoot cameras my whole life, but would like to finally learn how to take GOOD photos. I've just started searching for threads and articles on DG and Google to help with the basics. If any of you have any recommendations, I'm all eyes.

I wonder if anyone offers digital photography 101 workshops near me ...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5928267

wrightie,

NOT good at anything like "digital photography 101"--but I will tell you what, in my opinion, makes a good photograph.

1. Hold the camera VERY steady (like in a death grip) and press-and-hold the button using only your index finger. This avoids the camera jerking up and down--thus having no heads on people...or a blurry shot.

2. Look with your eye at how your subjects are framed. This holds especially true for regular cameras. I actually "look" what I see in the little viewer and that helps me see how the picture will be framed.
Try not to have too much background, lawn in front, boring, insignificant things in the background or having 3/4 of the photo being something else than your subjects that seem like 50' away, etc...
AND---Shoot quickly! People start to look weird if you take too long to focus, frame, decide, etc...I hate that! How long can one hold a nice, natural smile?
I am an aim and shoot photographer of people.

Gita
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5928432

Thanks, Gita, I try to follow those same rules (I try to follow the rule of thirds and I tend to hold my breath when I snap the photo, etc.), but I'd like to learn more about lighting, aperture, shutter speeds, etc. There's so much more to photography than I've ever bothered to learn!

Hope you had a great Christmas!
w

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
8:26 AM

Post #5928771

Wrightie...I got my sis a FZ28 for Christmas. Read the instruction manual and thought, "Oh no"..this is tedious.

So I put up a website for her. Has photos taken with the FZ28, links to discussions about the FZ28, questions and answers from users, the instruction manual, a user friendly guide from Panasonic on the camera, photos from those who use it, videos taken with the FZ28, general news about digital photography...etc...etc... Took weeks to sort through all the material but she told me tonight its been helpful.

If you want to take a look, the page is here:

http://dalesfz28.blogspot.com/
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5929099

DP, I feel like I hit the jackpot -- what a great blog.

I have to ask, did you take the photos of those dragons at the top of your page? If so, are they on a temple? They are just stunning and I wonder where they are located.

Thanks so much for the link to the blog! Your sister is very lucky, indeed.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 26, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5930460

My recommendation is to first get yourself familiarized with all the controls and settings of the camera. Pay special attention to the different Autofocus types and Exposure Metering types.

There are many websites out there that explain some of the basics but the most important thing is ---> Practice, Practice and more Practice :)

Here a link to a forum with some general technique tips:
http://www.panoramio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7511
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5930670

wrightie...sorry to say, none of those photos are mine. I think what you saw was one of the two slide shows embedded in the blog

The main slide show is from a Lumix FZ28 group on Flickr.

The little slide show on the top right is from Vimeo. No FZ28 group there but photos tagged "FZ28" show up in rotation.

If you have questions, you might find the customized search engine near the bottom of the page helpful. Searches give priority to 53 of the top photography sites on the net. Does a pretty good job of filtering out off topic returns. This link should takes you to the search engine for Digital Photography too:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=005258400564984290906:klyd7vkjtiy

Search on "raw" for instance and you will find out about the raw format your camera supports, not diet tips on raw fruit.

Enjoy your new camera! It will be easy to use and produce great photos in the Intelligent Auto Mode. But then there are lots of goodies buried inside that you can dig into when you feel like it.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5930703

THANKS! I've a loooooong way to go, but it's a fun little camera and I'm happy to practice with it. I snapped a few 'action' shots of the puppy playing soccer in the backyard tonight ...

Thumbnail by wrightie

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #5931701

That was fast! My sis took some photos yesterday but only got the software in today and hasn't downloaded any photos

Pretty much a straightforward process?

She seems intimidated by it all.

She made a mistake by taking the minature CD that came with a Sandisk Extreme III memory card and installing that software as well as camera software. In a MacBook. Those disks don't fit without an adaptor. It's jammed in there. Didn't stress enough that that software is a back-up used to recover lost memory card data and she will probably never need it.

:-(

wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5932353

I actually have not read a thing yet, so yes, very straightforward so far. I've only tried the IA and action settings so far. I'm intimidated by the more advanced camera features, composition, lighting, etc., but I don't mind basic experimentation.

So sorry about your sister's miniCD dilemma -- EEK. I'm on an OLD MacPowerBook.

Here's a newbie question which I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but ... Do digital cameras (DSLRs?) tend to allow for Black & White photos?
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 27, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5932366

[quote]...Do digital cameras (DSLRs?) tend to allow for Black & White photos?[/quote]
certainly but you're better off to do it post process via software
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5933417

Thanks PC!

Here's one last photo that I took today using the IA mode ... we just had this woodstove installed, so I snapped a picture of it during our first Test Fire. I'm very happy with this little camera.

Thumbnail by wrightie

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 28, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5936666

Wow, ladies and gents. my head is overloaded with camera selection and informations. I've used a point and shoot Kodak Easy share with approx. 3x OpZum. The power charger plugged directly into the computer has kicked the bucked (they don't recharge my batteries any more), and Santa gave me a rain check for a new Camera of my choice, which I didn't know which one to pick.

So the question is (1) how much I am willing to spend? (2) What all I wanted to do with them?

Ok, I want to spend somewhere in the 500 dollar range +/-.

Objectives: 1. I'm a gardener, so I like the macro feature to capture close up of flowers, insects pictures. 2. I also enjoy birding, so I'm looking for a more powerful optical zoom, say 10x or do I need 15x or even 18x. Say if I were on a boat chasing a heron flying overhead, what type of optical zoom will I need to take good, crisp and clear pix of the lovely bird?

I'm looking at a Cannon digital, any other suggestion? Input would be appreciated.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #5937746

wrightie,
your new fireplace is actually a good subject for experimenting with low shutter speeds in shutter priority mode and the results specially on the moving flames.
A tripod would be best for that but a firm base and timer release will also do

Lily_love,
your expected usage goes from one extreme (Macro for flowers/insects) to the other (tele for wildlife) so a super zoom P&S camera should cover your needs.
The above mentioned Panasonic Lumix FZ28 is one of them, other ones are Canon Powershot SX10 IS, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H50, Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD,...etc
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5937918

Thanks, PC. I'll give that a whirl, and I'll use my tripod.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5937930

wrightie, what camera did you get?
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5937937

I was given the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 as a gift and I'm just fumbling my way around with it. I'm no good with a camera and have only ever used point & shoot types. My last camera was a Nikon Coolpix.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:19 AM

Post #5937951

Oh wow, I need to go back and read your experience on the new gift. Since that may be one I need. Thanks.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5937961

PanamonCreel, I've been looking at that panoramio site and loving it. THANK YOU again!!! I will be referring back to it over & over again.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5937964

Lily-Love, I believe that this camera is well within your price range. I'm pretty sure that you can get it for UNDER $300. It gets very good reviews for its price range.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5937990

Thanks, I'll need to do some reading before I head out to the store. How many optical zoom are your Panosonic Lumix FZ28?
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5938011

18x Optical Zoom

From DPReview:

"Panasonic introduces the Lumix DMC-FZ28 digital still camera, featuring a 27mm wide-angle Leica DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens with an 18x optical zoom*. Joining Panasonicís popular FZ series of cameras that pack a high-powered zoom into a compact body, the FZ28 also boasts 10.1-megapixel resolution and adds a number of enhanced features that boost user fun and convenience, represented by an advanced iA (Intelligent Auto) mode.

The super-powerful 18x zoom lens makes it easy to pull in subjects from far away or to take dramatic close-ups. For an added boost, zoom power can be increased to 32.1x with the Extra Optical Zoom function**. The 27mm wide-angle feature is ideal for both broad landscapes and tight indoor shots, letting photographers capture a wider view. The 10.1-megapixel resolution allows photos to be greatly enlarged while still retaining outstanding detail, or edited by trimming and enlarging parts of the photo to print."

The rest can be read here, http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072104panasonicfz28.asp

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #5938044

wrightie, many thanks for the added info. I'm sold! I think. It sounds marvelous!!! Wow! 10.1 megapixels plus 18x Optical zoom! It's a lot more than what I've been looking at for over $300 range at Best Buy before Christmas sale.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5938133

As PanamomCrel mentioned, the fireplace is a good test subject. Surprised me how well the (IA) Intelligent Auto did. Difficult exposure as you have the window light, the black and the fire. Shadows came out well. The blown areas at the edges are to be expected and be cropped. Very good!

Saw a neat tool for steadying a camera when taking video. All you need is a bolt , a large washer and string as tall as you are. Video below shows how it works (website is in Greek but the video is in English)

http://theamind.blogspot.com/2008/12/1-camera-stabilizer.html
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5938937

Neat idea!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
1:10 PM

Post #5938974

David, I wished my boys will grow up to be like that young man in the vedio. Kidding aside, thanks for sharing the great tip. :-)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5939435

Wow! Great idea in that video. Thanks for sharing it.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5939614

Can't wait to try it!
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2008
10:19 AM

Post #5942808

Lily_love...he was having a good time showing off his Eagle Scout skills, wasn't he?

There is another trick to use if you don't have a tripod:

Unscrew the finial from a lamp, remove the lampshade and screw the camera on the lamp.

I have an Olympus SP-310 and the threads in its tripod receptor fit every lamp in the house.

No...I don't wear the lampshade on my head when I take photographs.

Not usually ^_^

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 5:21 AM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 30, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5942950

LOL, David. Were you that young man's classmate? LOL, equally neat idea! Now you've got my curiosity up, I'm going to look at every shade lamp in the house. lol.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2008
1:50 PM

Post #5943120

Keep a bag of beans (just as you buy them from the supermarket) in your camera bag and when you're taking shots you can rest the beans on a rock or a stump to steady it and get your photo. Also works for taking photos of yourself in the great outdoors.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5943292

pirl...but a bag 'o beans isn't as elegant as a camera screwed into the top of a Victorian lamp.

More practical tho...
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5945378

I'm having so much fun with this camera!!!! (I just had to say that)

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5945638

That's how it should be wrightie. You can practice with settings on houseplants during the winter.

David - should I screw in the top of the lamp to my head and then mount the camera for taking photos in the great outdoors? :-)
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5945653

Snort

So, I screwed the camera into the top of my lamp, placed lamp & camera unit into vehicle and drove to Nat'l Arboretum today. That's how I came up with this shot. Thank you for the INvaluable advice. Next experiment will involve Chickpeas & the Capitol building...

Thumbnail by wrightie

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5945691

I'm VERY impressed with the dog and the photo. He belongs at Westminster!
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5945811

Thanks, Pirl! There's an old description of the Great Dane breed where they are called the "Apollo of Dogs," so when I caught a glimpse of him with the Columns in the background, I just had to *try* to capture it. It was a real pain to try to juggle the lamp & dog at the same time though. ;p
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5945823

Great shot! Beautiful dog!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5945825

You did him proud.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5945894

wrightie, the pix was taken with your new Camera? Beautiful dog, nice shot!
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5945940

Oh gosh, yes, it was. He was pulling me at the time, as you might gather from the tension on the lead, so it was a little hard to steady the camera and take the shot. The camera was in IA (Intelligent Auto) mode and I had very low expectations of the shot to actually come out alright. I was happily surprised to see that it's okay. I only wish that I'd captured his entire body and that he was not on lead ... cuz it would have made a great photo for his breeder's website, otherwise! :)

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 31, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5946009

Hi. I was wondering if prices on older models of camera go down when the new ones come out? ( like cars ) Is that usual? I'm very interested in the Canon Rebel Xti that was new last year. Do any of you have one?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5946085

David has been studying cameras and sales for the last month or more so he'd be an excellent one to tell you.
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5946315

I'd like to know also. I was actually looking at the rebel also...for my next camera,,,provided I master the one I have. Have a looooong way to go! LOL! My best so far,,,only had a digital camera for < 1 month--It is a Cannon.

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2008
5:47 AM

Post #5946596

wrightie...IA (and you) took a great picture of your dog. Is the time set correctly on your camera? See from exif it was taken at four thirty. Sun is setting here in CT then and you have a nice blue sky. Did the IA do all that?

Roybird...There are serious price swings with some cameras. Since I started seriously looking 6 weeks ago, the Panasonic FZ28 has swung down $60, up $40, down $20 and is now back up to more than it was in late November.

Lily_Love...the Eagle Scout has another project: Building a fisheye lens that fits any camera out of a door peep hole and PVC pipe. Costs under five bucks (and of course, he paints it to make it look like its something you would buy at a camera store). His daughter obviously enjoyed mugging for the fish eye:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1065605/5_fish_eye_fun_make_a_wide_angle_and_fish_eye_photo_lens/

phoebesviolet...the Rebel and Canons are really nice.
Have you looked at the Panasonic G1 or Lumix LX3? They and the Canons are getting great reviews.

I'm thinking about a G1 but it's new technology and think I'll wait to see what happens with it. A new model should be out soon.

wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #5946898

David_Paul, YOU are what we call an Observationist; an excellent Noticer. ;)

Hmmmm ... I'll take a gander at the camera time, but I set it (correctly, I think!) a few days ago and thought nothing more of it. However, 4:30 pm was the approx. time that I imported the pic's to the laptop yesterday. The actual photo would have been taken btwn 2:30 ~ 3pm.
David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5946991

Not that good a noticer. The date (12:30) confused me. Exif says shot taken at 14:39, the time you say. Sun and sky is still good for that late the end of Dec.

Saw a wonderful FZ28 shot at flickr. It is looking directly into the sun at sundown as a bird flies past across the reddish orange orb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21815028@N05/3149663152/in/pool-793920@N24

Taken in Landscape mode. Would IA select that itself?

I have to get myself one of these cameras...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5947002

I see that the picture was taken at 2:39 PM based on the EXIF information.

wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5947003

I think I may be worth starting a new thread specifically for the FZ28 in order to get all of this good info. in one spot.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5947293

Well, I took the plunge and started a separate thread for the FZ28 ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/938106/
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

December 31, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5947586

David_Paul, thanks for the observation. I will just keep checking prices for the next few months. I'm not in a hurry.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America