Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them: From a pit?

Communities > Forums > Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them
bookmark
Forum: Article: Avocados - How to Grow ThemReplies: 17, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gammaneetz
Garden City, MI
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2008
2:02 PM

Post #5295424

Does anyone have any GOOD advise on starting an avocado from the pit of a purchased fruit? I would love to try growing a few in the house and/or greenhouse here in Michigan. I attempted to do one in a glass several years ago. All seemed to go well for a while and then it went poof! Dropped all it's leaves and I gave up.
Areephanthu
Hartsville, SC

August 6, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5376497

I have only gotten one seed to grow. I put in a pot that was watered everyday near my sprinkler. I forgot about it and it grew. It is three years old and has three plants out of one seed. Not sure why it has three. Not sure why it grew and all the other died. It is two feet tall ready for a bigger pot. I was told it would never fruit since it was grown from seed. Not sure what to do next with it.
rondabart
Anaheim, CA

August 20, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5443170

Hello! I have a 7 ft. tall avocado tree I started from a pit suspended from toothpicks across the opening in a glass jar (like the potato plants we used to start as kids!). This tree is now in a raised bed out in front of our home in southern California. Now I want to know if it will produce fruit. Does anyone know of a trick to get it to bear fruit? It did "flower" this season already. I figure in nature there is no such thing as grafting so why would a tree grown from a seed need to be grafted in order to give fruit?
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5443240

It will give fruit - given time. They can be slow to give their first crop. Have you been feeding it?
Areephanthu
Hartsville, SC

September 24, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5593080

I was told it may never fruit or produce very little fruit if grown from seed. Not sure exactly why this is true, but related to hybrids and the ability of the fruit of these hybrids to pruduce the same plant as the parent. Sorry not a great explanation.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5594083

I have grown many from seed, they will fruit. The reason it is so slow is the "hybrids" are sold on a base of another plants - so they take a fruiting branch off a tree and cut it into a baby tree and it fruits faster this way. That said they can all produce fruit - pending you feeding it, waiting for the fruit, and keeping its watering right.
Areephanthu
Hartsville, SC

September 24, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5594310

Oh that makes sense. so how many years you think it will take to fruit? Because I have one that is 2 years old.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5594349

one fruited in 5 years, one took 7
benenati
North Port, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6296675

I too have started my tree with toothpicks in a glass jar. I have had mine for a year and half and it is over six feet tall and currently in a pot. I am getting ready to put it in the ground but, am hesitant as it is nothing but sand here where I live in Florida. I have heard all kinds of suggestions such as peet moss but, I am unsure of how wide/deep to make the hole. Do I follow the general rule of thumb or go bigger because of lack of soil?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7591293

These are some my sis-in-law started from pits. You can see the progression. Wish they would grow here!

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Peanut169_98
Craigsville, WV

February 18, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8379050

I planted an avocado from a pit in a pot with my houseplant. I didn't expect it to grow, but, surpise! It did! I've since replanted them together into a bigger pot. I've started a new one in the old pot from a pit. It's only been about a week so nothing yet. This is the first time I've tried growing an avocado so I'm constantly searching for how to take care of it in a pot (it's too cold here for it to be outside yet), so any help from the masses would be great. My original tree is a little droopy and I found out that I may have been overwatering it, so I'm cutting back. It's in a self-draining/self-watering pot so I suppose the pot for it is just fine. Again, any help would be great. But to answer, yes, you can grow an avocado from a pit!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2011
11:39 AM

Post #8392283

About how long does it take for an avocado seed to sprout if suspended in water? Is it better to just pot it up, or does it matter?
From the number of years this threads been bumped up, I see I'm not the only one who likes to do this--brings back fun childhood memories, and helps with winter boredom!
Seedling1
Torrance, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 31, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8461960

I just started two from pits. One with toothpicks and water and another just planted in a pot of potting soil. The one in water rooted but the stem came out the side of the seed and withered. The one in the potting soil took about 3 weeks to start and then grew like a weed (more like a stick) but without leaves.. After reaching about 18 in., leaves are starting to appear at the top. I'm waiting on fully developed leaves before trying to prune it. My goal is to have this as a potted plant. I hope I can keep it alive and short. There are a number on videos on UTube regarding Avocados that are definitely worth watching.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8462631

Mine's still sitting in water, looking the same as it did the day I plopped it in...
craZNblu13
Greenwood, IN

October 31, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8870038

I'm growing an avocado plant from a seed. I put 4 toothpicks gently into the seed so that the seed would be 3/4 submerged in water fat side of seed in the water. Make sure that you replace the water when it begins to lower so the water is level with the top of the jar. Changing the water about once a week or so is also a good idea so the water doesn't get bacteria in it. Just hold the seed gently while you do this. For my seed, it took more than a month for it to break opened. I didn't keep close track of the timing, but it took much longer than I had expected. Now I have it in a very tall vase full of water because the roots are more than 6 in. long and the stem with leaves is more than a foot tall. Now I have to get a nice HUGE pot to plant it in and figure out what kind of soil I should use because I've read a good sandy potting soil works best. I also have to figure out how to properly prune it because I've read a good pruning after the first few leaves open up really make it flourish. We shall see.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8870309

Thanks for posting, craZNblu13, now I know I need to be more patient. I finally tossed mine out, but I'll try another one.
vanita79
dubai
United Arab Emirates

November 29, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9718419

Hi, I started a few since about two months ago and only one of them sprouted which happenned to have come from a rotted avocado which I had forgotton about. The foilage was strangely brown at birth but it slowly started getting green and right now, its lower leaves are all drooping. I'm guessing its direct sun thats the culprit and I've put it in part shade right now hoping it will revive.

Thumbnail by vanita79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9718497

I never did have any luck with them, but maybe the secret is to use one from a rotten avocado. Hmm, may have to try that. I hope yours revives, Vanita!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Avocados - How to Grow Them Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me again Aunt_A 1 Jul 16, 2008 1:20 PM
Thanks for the info libellule 2 Jul 16, 2008 1:21 PM
Propagation jjacques 5 Feb 16, 2010 3:53 AM
avocados dortmunder26 1 Jul 22, 2008 11:59 PM
avocados in Berkeley, California? entomologist 1 Aug 4, 2008 2:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America