Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora: Growing alocasia odora from seed

Communities > Forums > Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora
bookmark
Forum: Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portoraReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pjenning
Eugene, OR

July 21, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5296145

Hi,
I am wondering if you have ever grown alocasia odora from seed. If so did you scarify the seed or soak it beore planting? Does the seed need alternating cold and heat to germinate? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for the information on portei.
Penny
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5296264

Yes, I've grown A. odora as well as many other Alocasia from seed. The seed does not need scarification but does benefit from soaking in water overnight. No regime of alternating cold and heat is necessary, either.

The real trick is that only very fresh seed is viable. By "very fresh", I mean seed you squeezed out of the juicy ripe berry yourself. If the seeds dry out, they are dead. Period. So if someone sold you dried seed, or you obtained dried seeds from someone, you have dead seeds.

This is the voice of 30 years experience . . .
LariAnn

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5297333

LariAnn,
Thank you for a truly fascinating article! It's interesting ti me how people get started on one path or a different one in life. Yours is SO different from most people's - thanks for sharing.
Carrie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Alocasia Polly Cliffff 5 Jul 27, 2008 1:52 AM
Great phicks 0 Jul 21, 2008 2:39 PM
alocasia daphnep 0 May 19, 2011 2:41 PM
Great article thanks! LeBug 2 May 20, 2011 9:40 AM
Portora teddykoz 1 May 23, 2011 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America