Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Herbs: Magical Michael Basil

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

July 21, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5297569

Any thoughts on this one? First time for me this year. Died back to the ground from catsitter neglect so not blooming yet. Plant is very uniform as they say but I don't find anything too different about the taste from other sweet basils. Fragrant but I think the 'Thai Siam Queen' with its bigger leaves is prettier and smells nicer (I like the spicey ones). Now it's down to the battle of the blooms ...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5402390

First time for me, too... just starting to bloom. It's very pretty, but I'm not sure there's anything about it that's superior to 'Siam Queen' (as you said) except maybe that it seems more compact, which might make it better in containers and borders.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 12, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5402566

I agree I don't think it's showing any better other being smaller. My 'Siam Queen' is also very uniform but larger (note all my basils are in my greenhouse so very protected) . Both are just starting to flower now so will wait to comment on that til they fully open. I think the 'Siam Queen' tastes and smells better. Thoughts Critter on taste and smell?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5403186

'Magical Michael' seemed more delicate than 'Siam Queen' in terms of flavor, but it was sweet and a little spicy, and I could see tossing it into salads etc. more often than Thai basil. I love the flowers and form of Thai basil so much that I could easily find a place for both of these in my garden next year. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America