Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Good 'Ol Passiflora 'Lady Margaret'

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

My first Passionvine and still a favorite. It blooms all year, although the flowers are paler and smaller during our Minnesota winters. Unfortunately, this Passiflora is bothered by spider mites, so it's a bit more of a challenge to overwinter.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ahhhh...Your digital camera looks spot on for LM. She's my fav!! Good pics:-)
Bev

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Erick, here is my first one ever. It's a small new plant and it gave me this. I had thought it would take me years to possibly get a bloom. It may take me years to get another one... I have been told they can overwinter here. I bought three different passies, but Lady Margaret is really growing. The other two are climbing a little bit, but not really showing off like Lady.

Thumbnail by merpeg
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Bev.

Congrats to you merpeg! I hope you get lots of blooms.

Erick

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

For me, when this beauty starts blooming, she rages with many blooms every day, clear up until frost - this is my favorite Passiflora, too!

Gilmer, TX

Lady M. does like to put on a show. Mine has grow bigger and blooms more than any of the others I have. That's enough to make her my favorite.

Humble, TX(Zone 9a)

I also have 'Lady Margaret' and she blooms then rests abit then blooms some more. I have a question please,,,,what kind of fertilizer do you feed your passies?
jana

Mount Vernon, MO(Zone 6b)

Kay
Is Lady Margaret hardy for you or do you take her indoors for the winter.

I am in SW MO so if she's hardy for you she should be for me.

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

I just ordered my first Lady Margaret and she is blooming! I am in heaven. She is indoors of course is my weather she would die.

Yes I would love to hear about fertilizing, probably not much though right???? Once a month??? If anyone is still watching this thread!

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Erick...have you been able to get seed from her?
Mine are successfully pollinated, but I only get one or two sterile seeds from the fully formed fruit.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Dylan, I'm sorry I didn't see your question. When I lived in Missouri, LM was in a pot and came inside. I brought her to Florida with me and she's in the ground - came back after temps in the high 20's. She isn't setting buds just yet, but she's growing well. I have another LM that I purchased this spring, in bloom - she's now taking a rest and will start again soon.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Liz, my apologies for the delayed response. I have never tried to pollinate my 'Lady Margaret', although the blooms have certainly been open while many other Passiflora species/varieties are blooming. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room to really grow out new crosses from seed. Someday that will change, I hope!

Happy spring to you!

Erick

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

Same to you, Erick!
I dusted her with P. incarnata (white form). She's pregnant!
WOO HOO!!!

Gordo,

I have had success with LM x caerulea crosses, but not with bud pollination. Just dust the stigmae with the anthers after noon (thanks to phicks for that tip). Last year, I got 5 fruits with only 6 seeds, but one of those sprouted about 2 months ago. So far this year I have 10 fruits from this cross. Henk Wouters has been successful with this cross, but has had problems with bud drop. He did get some blooms though, and has a pic on his website.

Mark

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

I just had great success with P. incarnata (white form). Nice fat fruit forming.

Seattle, WA

I think Lady Margaret x Incarnata (white form) should be really interesting!!! I can't wait to see what they are like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.