Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: New Resurrection Ferns/How do I keep them alive???

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 4, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Camillia84
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5299262

My DH just brought me two Resurrection Ferns that I had asked for him to cut from the bark of an oak tree that I had seen. (didn't have anything to get them with when I saw them.)
Have them both in a bowl of water for the time being just to keep them alive. Know they get their name from looking like they are dead when there is no rain around & come back when it does!
My father used to have them on his oak in south Fl., but they grew naturally & now I need help in getting these to grow here!!!!
Do I try to adhere them to a piece of wood, or will they work at all after being taken from their natural environment?
They have always fascinated me & hope I didn't kill them by cutting them from their home!
Help!!!!

Thumbnail by Camillia84
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2008
7:11 AM

Post #5300403

Tie the bit of bark they're on to the top of a stout, rough-barked branch, and they should do OK and grow out across it.

Don't keep it wet all the time, it's adapted to drying out frequently! Wet for too long and it may rot.

Resin
Camillia84
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5309634

Thank you!
Had thought about fastening them to an oak branch cutting & hanging it from a tree, but wasn't sure if I needed to add sphagnum moss under them. Guess if they don't need to stay wet at first, the moss is out of the question.
Thanks, Again!!

Camillia
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #5398364

Camillia84, I hope you're able to keep them alive. I've been told by Georgia's gardening guru they are one of those plants we just have to admire when they're seen on their host trees after a rain...they cannot be propagated. Keep us posted if you're able to keep it going.
Camillia84
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5399929

My father used to collect them from trees in the wild & bring them home, his always worked, but he could also make a ROCK grow! LOL!!!
So far, mine are still alive.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America