Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Darling Daylilies: I like daylilies better each year, too.

Communities > Forums > Article: Darling Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Darling DayliliesReplies: 5, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5301510

I never thought I cared much for daylilies but I had a goal of having some flowers in bloom throughout the summer and daylilies fill in a long period from the end of the iris bloom to -- chrysanthemum bloom. I think the chief reason I didn't care for them is that there were only 1 or 2 varieties in common use around here and I thought they were rather dull though the foliage was nice.
Then I saw Barbara Mitchell in bloom at a nursery. I immediately bought it, but I didn't get it planted for a year. It bloomed anyhow in its flower pot, so I quickly planted it. Anything so sturdy deserved a good home. It has never failed to delight me since. It seems like it blooms all summer. Not really but the bloom period is quite long. So I began buying more, both from nurseries and mail order.
I was amazed at how long it took for some of them to start blooming. Pardon Me has still not bloomed in my yard, but I know it will and in the meanwhile it is a nice flowing green plant. I could not choose a favorite among my daylilies but I am very fond of several of the ones you listed.
I generally prefer the selfs, but here is Gillian which has an eye that I think is delicious.
For several weeks now my yard has been full of blooming daylilies -- more beautiful each year.

Thanks for a lovely article and yet more info about daylilies, now one of my favorite garden plants.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2008 9:57 AM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5301727

You time your articles perfectly, Toni! Our daylilies have been getting taller and spindly and less floriferous - I suppose it's the stupid town Norway maple getting bigger?

Thanks for a lovely article!
LTilton
Glen Ellyn, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5303250

That Lullaby Baby looks like a true white.

Some of the daylilies sold as "white", like Joan Senior, aren't close to it. Now, I like Joan Senior, but she's yellow, not white.

tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5311270

Hi Lois,
Actually, Lullaby Baby is a pale cream with tinges of apricot. I think the images look different to others depending on the calibration of the monitor on which they are viewed.
Dollykat
Lucasville, OH

July 28, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5332752

Thanks for your article. I love daylilies, too, and I have many varieties. My favorite is Rosy Returns because it not only is a bright color, but it also blooms non-stop until frost. Gentle Shepherd is a near-white, but it doesn't bloom a long time. Ice Carnival and Nanuq are near whites, too. Perhaps someday, someone will develop a truly white daylily. She or he will be rich, and we'll all be very happy!
JenT
Columbus, OH

July 29, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5337769

Perhaps CarrieLamont's lilies are looking poorly because they need divided?

I've done what the poster suggested and let the leaves go brown, then pulled them, which is fine, but I've also taken the weedwacker to them and cut them off at about 8" after the blooming is done and they have no hard feelings! That really cleans up the garden for fall and you don't have the ugly, browning leaves laying all over. I do the same with spring bulb plants. (Actually, my husband regularly mows down a large area of daffodils in the backyard and they come up more prolific every year! Go figure. lol)

For a really gorgeous lily, check out Dominic on OakesDaylilies.com. Going strong after 10 years with many children around town! ;)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Darling Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Daylilies EstelleMirage 0 Jul 29, 2008 2:10 AM
Daylilies in Bloom.... Gymgirl 7 Jun 13, 2011 6:46 PM
Nice article DitchLily206 2 Jun 9, 2011 3:51 AM
Larger sizes! daylily_ohio 0 Jun 8, 2011 2:51 PM
Daylilies wolfwolfwolf 0 Jun 13, 2011 6:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America