Photo by Melody

Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials: well explained

Communities > Forums > Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials
bookmark
Forum: Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your PerennialsReplies: 10, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5306059

I've done this before but it's nice to see it explained so clearly. Thanks.
DONNA_11
South Coast, RI
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
10:34 AM

Post #5306081

Great article, with well explained and easy to follow directions. I've never done this; I will give it a try in the fall.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5306251

Thanks - I was just looking at some of my perennials and thinking about which ones I should be dividing.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5306589

Thank you all for your nice comments! I hope you do try it. Good luck!
Despite the recent heat, my daisies are fine. I think having enough moisture in the soil , and being in some shade, is what's really getting them through the heat.
It is best in fall or spring though, I just didn't want to wait!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5306847

I am forwarding this clear and well-explained description to my husband, who thinks you have to go to Home Depot for more plants! Thank you, Sally.

edited to add - many of those plants listed will divide and spread whether or not you want them to! I hope you'll explain how to divide other types of perennials, that aren't on the list, another time.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2008 10:42 AM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2008
8:50 PM

Post #5308596

Thanks for your well-written article. I'm kinda new so, have been wondering how all you DGers get things to take to RUs and trade, etc. Thanks for the tip about the baby and that you put it in the middle. Who knew! I've always divided in the spring and am always overwhelmed, so this year I'll do some in the fall. :)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5310669

Thank you carrie and Jan!
carrie- hmm good thought- maybe I should have a More plants for Less money 2 B for other plants. I tried to keep the list sort of consistent so that if someone tried one of the listed plants it would work pretty much like the daisies, as far as I knew. I guess daylilies would look pretty different and might benefit from their own pictures and explanation. Or tall sedums, where you have to cut them apart.

Hey Jan- yes give it a try this fall! we've had pretty good rain here in midatlantic/northeast. I bet you have some thigs growing well this year.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2008
12:07 PM

Post #5311356

Actually sallyg, here in my town, the storms all circle us. We hear them all around, but they say ' nope-not going to Pennsville, that's where Jan lives and she is trying to garden, so we're going to make it difficult for her' I hear them say that to each other. :))) Before the last couple of days we had only had about 1 1/2 in since early June. Like I said, the storms come up to Wilmington and either stay on the west side of the river or go south of us. But yesterday DH measured 3 3/4 in of rain. The containers on my deck look great, (I put a lot there for my mom to enjoy when she can get outside) The other two gardens have kinda been on their own and some of the plants don't look so great.
Jan

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5311529

Rain or the lack of it can sure be frustrating. So often I get a summer Tstorm and it totally misses my dad's house 12 miles away.
jrgardens
Ames, IA

July 28, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5332484

The only thing I would change is "Dig the holes first, THEN dig up and divide the perennial." The less time the roots are exposed to air, the better. Also, I always water in any newly planted divisions, to ensure good root-to-soil contact. I do this even if the soil is already wet, because water poured on the soil surface helps to drive out air pockets in the root zone.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5334095

jr- You are right- keep those roots moist. Too often I have laid my dug plants on the grass and they stay there longer than I planned. Like dehydrating and starving a patient before surgery. Better to go right into your ready hole. or into water, or at least cover with moist dirt.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellant! pagardener61 3 Jul 27, 2008 1:10 PM
Thank you for a great article! Bookerc1 9 Jul 29, 2008 3:55 AM
Thanks for the information! orellum 1 Jul 30, 2008 12:25 AM
Good Job! rocky59 1 Aug 2, 2008 2:03 AM
Heuchera ACWinOH 0 Oct 28, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America