Photo by Melody

Article: Santa Fe, New Mexico and My Father's Garden: Santa Fe Gardening

Communities > Forums > Article: Santa Fe, New Mexico and My Father's Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Santa Fe, New Mexico and My Father's GardenReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NMSailor
Santa Fe, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5306628

Santa Fe is a beautiful and challenging place to garden. I love it here and enjoyed the story about your father very much. Thank you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5306669

Thank you for reading - how long have you lived there?
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

July 24, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5310585

Hi, Carrie. I live in SantaFe, too. I've been here since 1980. We've seen some intense droughts here but also some very snowy winters and occasional floods. It is sunny, mostly, but not always warm. I found that roses held up better than many other plants in the drought times. A lot depends on what kind of soil they are in, how well established and what kind of exposure they have to sun and wind. I'm glad your father enjoyed the time he spent here!
NMSailor
Santa Fe, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5311711

I've been in NM for 20 years and have gardened in Albuquerque as well as farther north in Abiquiu. I've recently moved to a new house just outside of Santa Fe where we are restricted to watering one day a week so I am installing drip everywhere and using the 1200 gallon cistern and 4 rain barrels quite a bit. I've even started bucketing my bathtub water out to the trees... I love High Country Garden and visit the demo gardens frequently. I hope to start a community garden somehow in my new neighborhood and am working to have a raised bed, rock fenced in veggie garden at my house by the spring... lots of project plus a full time job :-)

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 7:19 AM
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

July 24, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5312422

One day a week is about minimum. I water twice a week but could have 3 times. Don't need that much because I have a small, shaded, walled garden in town. I have not planted many new plants in a long time. I mostly dig things out. We use rain barrels and sometimes gray water from the washing machine rinse cycle, shower, kitchen rinse water. Sounds like you have a bigger area to contend with! Good Luck, Sailor!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5313066

Thank you both for your comments - it is SOOOO different here, I was thinking again today, as I waited in my car for the rain to die down enough so it was safe to plow I mean drive through the gigantic puddles on the road. Some folks in the NE have rainbarrels - I guess it's cheaper than watering with a hose but cheaper still is just not watering, although I admit I water petunias and other annuals. The real way I can feel dry climates is by how much lip balm and hand lotion I need - what a girly thing to say! But seriously, the texture of my skin, hair, the way my contact lenses feel...

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7904899

I grew up just outside of Santa Fe (Los Alamos) for the first 20 years of my life and gardening was my mother's passion. She photographed wild flowers and painted them as well. We had a beautiful garden when I was growing up, but sadly I could not possibly have cared less back then.

Drought is a constant situation in New Mexico and a typical year being about 8-10" of rain. But thankfully there is normally little variation from that (a year of only 5" is a serious drought, but not a huge difference from 8"). Still, we were lucky in Los Alamos as there was a huge aquifer there, we had a decent resevoir, there are watertowers storing water all over the place, and the Rio Grande was nearby so water rationing never was a huge problem there. Xeric gardening was common, mostly because it was easy. Soils are excellent there, as they are in Santa Fe- sandy, but relatively rich in nutrients. But COLD. Sometimes Santa Fe and Los Alamos shared the record lows for the entire US, and the growing season was only about 4 months long, sometimes 5 in good years. Snow finally melted off our mountains around June, but came back 3 months later. I feel totally spoiled growing plants here in southern California where we have a 365 day growing season.

Sadly, mother is not around to see I finally came around to her way of thinking and gardening. But like your father, she continues to be an inspiration.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7905979

I need to visit Santa Fe someday. I know I would love it. But I wouldn't want to live there. I don't like short summers and long winters. If I move back to the southwest (lived in northern NV for 17 years, then Mesa, AZ for 4 years), it would be at a lower elevation. Reno, NV was not too bad. The winters there were not too long. Still, I liked Mesa a whole lot better. Summers were just too darned hot, though.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Santa Fe, New Mexico and My Father's Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very endearing article DONNA_11 28 Jul 25, 2008 4:58 PM
Your wonderful storey Dlmcgrw 1 Jul 23, 2008 7:17 PM
Good phicks 1 Jul 24, 2008 12:30 AM
Thank you for sharing sound4hound 12 Jun 20, 2010 4:35 PM
Your father's garden ferncrazy 9 Jun 20, 2010 4:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America