Inexpensive & good bread - Plus share your cheap recipes!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I love this cheap recipe for good bread. 2 2/3 cup flour and 12 oz of lemon lime soda or beer. Mix & bake for about 50 minutes at 375 degrees. You can toss anything into it. Raisins & cinnamon, herbs & cheese. I love it with rosemary...

Please share your inexpensive recipes. I really like the ones with just a couple ingredients.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Okay, so there is no yeast or anything else. Just those 2 ingredients?

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes, that's it. It must have something to do with the carbonation. The beer version would have some yeast. It is so simple. My father introduced it to our family. I forgot to mention to grease the pan.

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Do you use regular or self-rising flour? I have seen a similar one with self-rising flour and beer...it was good too.

Kathy

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Beer-Bread-Mix/Detail.aspx

I've been making this for years. I sub regular (unbleached, white wheat) flour and baking soda for the self-rising flour in the recipe.

MIchelle in Michigan

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I do use the self rising. Michelle - Isn't it easy? My daughter has a ton of food allergies & can't have most bread from the regular grocery. My father makes the best!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Today I mixed parmesan cheese, rosemary from my garden, garlic & sea salt into the batter, then I sliced tomatoes & put them on top. It is like foccia bread. Next time I will make it in a shallow pan instead of a loaf. It is especially good toasted.

I forgot to add that I've made that bread with a can of 7-Up instead of beer and used cinnamon and a little extra brown sugar. My little (well, not so little) boy loves it with real butter.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I use 7 up for most of them. I think I am going to try making drop biscuits with cinnamon & raisins & then sprinkling a little sugar on top. ps - My 7up was flat yesterday & it still worked fine.

Charleston, SC

Thanks for the tips. I've been looking for an inexpensive bread. Which do y'all prefer? self rising? I want to tried the rosemary...I have 2 plants in my garden.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I like rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper & chunks of cheese with slice tomatoes on top. I also like cinnamon, raisin & apricot. Both are great toasted.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

I'd like to try this, but don't know how much of the cinnamon & fruit to put in it....do you use dried fruit or fresh? (Same question for adding garlic, herbs & cheese)

Von

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I would say - "till it looks right." Its probably a teaspoon of cinnamon & a handfull of raisins. The garlic was probably 3 cloves. I used quite a bit of fresh rosemary, maybe 2 Tablespoons. the chees has worked best for me mixing it into the dough.

Matewan, WV(Zone 6b)

THANKS.....I bought the soda today.

2 more questions.....how much cheese did you use and did you ever try the drop biscuits....if so,did it turn out as good that way?

Von

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I haven't done the biscuits yet. I did beer bread last night with rosemary. It is so good toasted! I use small pieces of cheddar, maybe 1/4 cup. I have tried mixing inexpensive Kraft parmesan into the dough, but I couldn't taste it. I did the larger grated pieces on top & it was much better. I think the buscuits will be great because this is a dense bread. It reminds me of the "Bisquick" biscuits I grew up on.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Can this be made in a breadmaker? Does it need to be kneaded or have a 'rising' time?
Thanks

No need for a breadmaker, just mix it in a bowl then transfer to baking dishes. No rise time, either.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Ok it seems you are all talking about buscuits, can it be cooked in a regular loaf?
On a side note, what happens when you use flavored soda, say like grapefuit, pineapple, or root beer? Just wondering, maybe the kids would like it. Will it work with diet soda? I'm thinking that would reduce the amount of sugar, as my husband can't have alot of sugar.

FrillyLily, it's a quickbread recipe, I always make mine in loaf pans. I've never tried it with the flavored sodas nor the diet soda.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

If you try the diet soda let us know if it works. I'd like to cut the sugar, but don't know if it needs it to "work" or not.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The self-rising flour will have enough levening agent in it. The fruit flavors do sound good. One could make some good dried fruit bread with this? Maybe soak the dried fruit a little bit first?

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I read this article the other day, "Five minutes a day for fresh baked bread"...I'm going to try it!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I was just reading about Soda Cake. You add 10 oz (little less than a can) of regular cola to a box cake mix. Cola for choclate, 7-up for white or vanilla. My daughter is allergic to eggs & dairy, so I am always looking for new recipes for treats for her. The article said Duncan Hines mixes are usually vegan. I will try it tomorrow & let you know.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

My Mother makes the soda cake. It is a really moist cake.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Terichris, check out this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933989/ I used Podster's Crazy Cake recipe to make my edible wreath; it was really good. If you made the frosting with juice and used appropriate decorations you could make the wreath for your daughter.

Thumbnail by zhinu
Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Yum! Its beauiful too. Great job. I just got some mini bundt cake pans. I will make them for her. This is much easier than the recipe I have with coffee.....Thank you. At three years old it is tough to find treats for her. I so appreciate Dave's Gardeners!!!

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

That would be hard

Alexandria, LA

Hey everyone, I'm kinda new here, and was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a bread ( a loaf bread), which has ham, cheese, jalapeno peppers, in it. My mother taught school for many years here in Louisiana, and she would bring this home with here every once in a while from the ladies that worked in the school cafeteria. They would have a fundraiser every once in a while and sell this. I would love to find out how to make it. It was a type of yeast bread. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dona.

Olympia, WA

Cocodrie - you might try a Google search - put in list of key ingredients. I did that and found a HUGE number of recipes, but I have no idea what one is just right for you.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I made the soda cake with Mountain Dew & yellow cake. We did it in cupcakes. Great success!

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

I made this no knead bread recently it was very good and super easy.

Rosemary Bread

This has to be the easiest bread I've ever made. Recipe can be doubled to make two large loaves or four small ones.

1 c. warm water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. yeast (I buy mine in a jar) or 1/2 packet
1 Tbls. olive oil

2 c. flour
1 tsp. rosemary, crushed with fingers
1 tsp. salt

Corn meal (not absolutely necessary but traditional)

In a bowl: Mix water and sugar, sprinkle yeast over top, add olive oil. Add flour, rosemary and salt. Stir until all ingredients are mixed. Do not knead. The dough will be sticky.

Cover with towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.

When the hour is up have ready a baking sheet lightly greased or sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle lightly with corn meal.

Oil your hands with a little olive oil, approx 1 tsp., and scoop out the dough. The dough will deflate and some may stick to the bowl. Shape into a ball, it'll still be loose and sticky, just do the best you can. Place on the baking sheet, cover and let rise again for 30 mins. You can also divide it in half for two smaller loaves.

After the second rise drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and more rosemary.

Preheat oven to 425* bake for 10 mins at 425* then reduce heat to 375* and bake 15 mins more. Loaf will be round and slightly flat.

Remove from oven and brush crust with butter or margerine. Eat!

Plano, TX

that sounds so good!
my easy recipe is to take a can of pumpkin and mix it with any cake mix--i used devils food but i read that spice cake is a nice flavor too
that's it just mix and put in 12 muffin pan and bake--very tasty--i did add some white chocolate chips that i had left over from christmas as well as dried cranberries-also the cake mix i had on hand was the pudding mix in it --didn't call for that one but i thought i'd mention it

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I just got a good deal on a Regal Kitchen Pro bread machine today and am trying to find a simple white bread recipe. Most call for powdered milk - which I don't have on hand.
Do any of you experienced bread makers know how I can substitute? I did find instructions on how to use it. Would also like a simple recipe for Whole wheat bread without any additional honey or molasses - we don't use these= just artificial sweetners and plain ole sugar.

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

My favorite basic BM recipe is in the 3rd post in this thread. It doesn't use milk.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/933989/

If you do want to use milk, just not powdered milk, you can substitute liquid milk for some or all of the water.

You can leave out the molasses for WW bread.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2009 8:37 PM

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Prickle, thank you so much for your prompt reply. Looks like I can try it out tomorrow morning. I like the BM recipe too!

Porter, TX(Zone 9a)

My pleasure :) Let us know if it works out.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

What a 'loaf' of bread. I was used to doing it all by hand and this is the most different thing I have ever seen. I used a recipe off the internet for a dough that took an egg sugar and milk. It was 6 inches square with a large hole in the middle from the little paddle. The crust was OK, but a little hard. The texture looked somewhat like the crumb of English Muffins, without the holes. LOL LOL It was hot and warm so we ate several crumbly slices with homemade veggie soup. ( And it did smell good while baking.) What a disappointment. Particularily for someone who knows what good home made bread is like.

Tomorrow I will try Prickles recipe for wholewheat bread I found on the Hyperlink above. AND I will let the machine mix it up and take it out shape and let it rise, and bake it myself. That way I can tell from the feel of it what it will be like.

The birds are happy with the leftovers of what I made today. LOL

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Just found this. Got a loaf in the oven now. :-))) I wanted to add stuff but Bill said no the first time around. phooey!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I've just joined this forum and am pleasantly surprised to find some people I know!!
Hi Teri. Love that bread recipe.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Well hello yourself Dutchlady.
This morning I tried to use yellow cake mix and gingerale to make "pancakes" for my daughter (egg & dairy allergies). It was a mess! I finally ended up using very little liquid & pouring the goop in small piles on a cookie sheet & baked it. Bless her heart she put syrup on them & happily ate them. Ugh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images