-
AuthorContent
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5307900

I'm having a terrible problem bringing bugs indoors on cut flowers from the garden ... this includes ticks which is a major issue -- not to mention the pesky flying insects and spiders and earwigs ... does anyone have a solution to this problem short of not bringing flowers into the house???? Not just peonies, all flowers ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5308373

I have been lucky in that I have not had too much problems in the past with insects and stuff on flowers. I do get ants and I just have to pick them off as they scurry out. I have had aphids on my Autumn joy blooms and I dunk the whole flower head in a bucket of soapy water and all the aphids kind of float off, and then I rinse the flowers off. The blooms are strong enough to withstand that treatment without any problems. My main problem is with slugs and snails munching on the flowers before I pick them. I do spray my plants periodically to kind of wash them off in areas where I have soaker hoses and we don't have summer rains here. That may help keep the insect population in check.
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5318525

Huh -- I guess no one has this problem but me!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 27, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5324959

I usually give the flowers a good shake before they come in the house and a dunk in soapy water like Dianne suggested. Sorry, not much help!
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5332037

I'm trying cutting them in the morning and spraying with the hose ... soapy water is next ... thanks!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
4:54 PM

Post #5332715

I don't have a problem with any bugs other than ants on my lilies. I just spray with water and pinch them as they run off. Hope that works for you cause you just gotta have fresh flowers in the house.
BerkeleyAnnie
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5358121

My house is filled with lady bugs and spiders. Yesterday a HUGE bumble bee flew out of the dahlia arrangement at the dinner table. He must have been in there 2 days!~
If i dunked my flower heads they wouldnt like it!
I have the problem also,Crock.
A.
crockny
Kerhonkson, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5359877

Well cutting in the morning and spraying with the hose seems to have helped somewhat ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America