Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fruits and Nuts: Cactus fruit

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 6, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5308989

I thought some viewers might enjoy seeing one of the cactus fruit I grow. The seeds are a little to numerous and hard for eating out of hand, but it makes really good jam. The jam color is beautiful. I have other varieties that are good for eating out of hand. The quarter in the photo is for size comparison.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2008 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by Dlmcgrw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5317477

Do you ever eat the leaves? I understand they are great for stablizing blood sugar in diabetics and for lowering cholesterol. I have heard the jam is delicious.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5317546

pajaritomt, The pads of this species is not particularly palitable. We do eat the tender young pads of other opuntia species. Hispanics call the prepared dishes nopalitos. They are on the menu in many Mexican restaurants. Most supermarkets in So. Cal. now stock them in their produce departments.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5317899

I am trying to learn to prepare them. So far I blended them up with pineapple and grapefruit juice. Yetch. Got any good recipes?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5318987

You can dice the cleaned pads and add them to salads. They add a tang to the salad.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5319071

Thanks, bettydee! I will give that a try.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5319752

pajaritomy, I don't know where you got the recipe you tried but it sounded like you left out the big dose of tequila. I don't want to take up this threads space with recipes. The pads are eaten both cooked and raw. They don't necessarily have to be peeled if they are young and tender but the clochids and still soft spines have to be removed about like the eyes in a potato. The most similar vegatables I can think of are green beans or okra.

I would suggest you google "nopalito recipes" I am sure you will find lots of good info.
Bon Apetite, or however you spell it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America