Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: peaches didn't seal know what do i do ?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 22, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
12:28 PM

Post #5311411

I did 4 pints of peaches and they didn't fit in my small canner ? the water overflowed and spilled everywhere
so i quickly got my bigger one and got them in there but with out a lapse in cooking. I had to reboil more water
so do i freeze them and you think they will be ok ?
thanks for any help
sue
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5315155

OK, first peaches are not high-risk, so you don't need to worry about food safety.

What you would need to do is reheat the peaches and liquid, re-pack in hot jars, remove air and top off with hot syrup (or hot water) and re-can. Be sure to clean jar rims thoroughly and use fresh heated lids. To be sure the rims are totally clean wipe the jar edges with a damp cloth moistened with vinegar. This removes anything sticky.

You can re-process anything within 24 hours of canning. Process with the same time as originally. They may be a bit softer but totally fine and usable.

(Or of course you could freeze if you prefer instead of re-processing.)

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5315742

Hot jars oops duh. I think the jars wern't hot enough. now that i think of it ? yep i bet that is what happened.
what was i thinking ?
hey thanks again Carol ! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5316059

I cold-packed my peaches in hot jars then poured hot light simple syrup over them then into the water bath for 15 minutes at my altitude. I'd guess the jar rims were not squeaky clean on yours... and/or the jars were not covered with enough water. Did you time beginning with when the water boiled?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
12:20 PM

Post #5317010

yes that also could have been the reason. The syrup was getting sticky, but i dipped the clean rag in the boiling water and wipe the rim but still could have a bit of syrup /
Could lifting the lid on the canner make them not seal ?
Yes i get the water to boil then add jars . or is it better to put jars in, then wait for a boil then start to time it ?
i wonder if my syrpu could have been to heavy ? i thought i made a light syrup ?
thanks always learning , first time doing sliced peaches. it looked easy enough lololol
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5317799

Sue, I put my jars in water that had been heated to boiling but then cooled a bit as I add the jars. Then when the canner is full, I start it heating again, and start the time when it boils. Lifting the canner lid does not affect sealing. After I wipe rims with a clean damp cloth, I dip my finger in hot water and run it around the rim again... amazing what I can feel that a cloth missed. That leaves a 'wet' rim, and with the lids also being wet I get a better seal.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5318979

aaaahhhhh i will have to try that . Good to know. I think i just didn't have enough water to cover . But yes when working with sugar syrup i can only imagine what was left on the rim even after wiping. LOL sheesh i m still finding sticky spots in my kitchen 3 days later LOL . I was under the impressin that you needed dry lids and rims ? i was wondering why since a wet would seal better but the book says dry so ooooo. One can always learn . :)
thanks
Looking forward to more peaches.
sticky business them peaches

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5320517

Sue... many books are written by "Writers", not "Doers"... LOL.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5320596

Thank goodness for doers !!! LOL
i did find a reciepe for spiced peaches and it sounds good . might try that with cloves , cinnamon and honey
thanks again for your help
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5324038

The heaviness of the syrup won't make any difference in the sealing as long as the rims are squeaky clean.

Hot jars don't necessarily affect sealing but it's still important because if a jar isn't hot enough when it's put into the canner it can crack (thermal shock). It is not fun to lift the lid and see peaches and syrup floating in the water or lift a jar and have the bottom drop out.

Here are the current processing times for peaches, both hot and raw pack.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/peach_sliced.html

Remember when the 25 or 30 minutes has elapsed to turn off the heat, remove the lid and let the peaches sit in the canner 5 minutes before you lift them out.

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5330186

Thanks Carol. Great link. that helps alot :) I did make sure they were squeking clean rims.
Well i did a batch of peach pie filling but i wish i just used peaches and no raisins ick. what was i thinking. ?
so far so good but i don't hear any poping ? only one or two Hmmm.
will let you know how they turn out.

Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2008
5:31 AM

Post #5330706

They don't always pop. It depends on some variables, like the amount of headspace.

Just use the visual check and keep an eye out for an indentation in the lid. Sometimes they have to sit a bit before it happens.

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5331245

thanks Carol :)
i think they sealed ok . but i checked two small ones and the lid did come off with a little tug and i did hear a vacum . But i guess i just pulled to much LOL
thanks for all the help
sue
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5332801

Did you let them sit undisturbed with the rings left on for 24 hours before "tugging"?

I know it's tempting to test freshly canned items but they really need to sit without touching for at least a day before the rings are removed. At that point if the dimple in the lid is down, that's all you need.

Carol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5333302

Yes i did . I think i m just not timing them right. ? they did have a sea sound when i opened them . That sucking sound like a vacum ?
so i guess its sealed .
I tried it this morning and oh it was soooo goooood, They may not even make it to the pantry !!! so i wont' have to worry LOL
i wil keep trying.
thanks for your help
Hmmm today is pickling day of peppers and carrots. :)
tomorrow is corn
wendsday ?
OLOL
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
6:53 PM

Post #5333303

At that point, I take the rings off and wash the jars in warm soapy water. When they are dry, into the pantry they go. DO NOT ever store and home canned goods with the rings on them. If a seal fails, the contents could accidentally get used... to someone's great discomfort... or worse.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5333333

gotcha Darius good idea.
This is a realy good filling . I was warry on the raisins they don't look so great but taste is wonderfu
The pantry at the log home is under the basement stairs and very cool . So i hope they do ok there , the ones that sealed . The ones that didn't seal i will keep in the fridge and yummmers on toast and biscuits . oh boy.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5339909

One last instruction---maybe someone else said this and I missed it.
The new lids should only be heated to very hot, not boiled. Then keep them on low. I talked to a lady once who said she was having a terrible time with sealing. She had not canned in years and now was discouraged. Threw talking, we discovered she was boiling the lids the way we used to. They have changed the glue on the lids, so now thats a no-no and too high prolonged heat causes the glue to melt and the jars won't seal.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5340240

bee good to know . I don't boil them but i do take out some of the boiling water and put it in a smaller pot and then put my lids in that ? so maybe its to hot even when it has cooled down several min . Hmmm
Well i couldn't resist i got more peaches when i was in town LOL When will it end ? ! LOL
so i was thinking of doing spiced peaches but am getting a bit lazy and was thinking maybe chutney :)
maybe tomorrow i will have the energy.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5340399

Know what you mean, Taynors. I get so tired in canning and harvest season, but, oh how nice in the winter to have the cupboards stocked. Especially this year with food prices so high. Keep on truckin'----LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5340930

Yes if i don't do it then in Dec i will really wish i had done it. LOL
My aunt is in GRants Pass OR :)
and it does feel good to look at all your progress and hard work. Just wish it wasnt so hot ! uhg
take care
sue

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5344820

My name is Sue, also.
Much hotter in Grants Pass than here on the coast. I avoid going over the mts. this time of year because I suffer in the heat. I feel for you, I really do.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5345016

oh your coastal oh that would be nice . I miss the coast :( all that wonderful sea food .
yeah humidity sucks LOL
i used to live in AZ and i know now what they mean by " but its a dry heat "
we Sue's think alike :)
well i did more peaches and i did a spiced peach with clove and cinnamon sticks and i hear the popping so that is a good thing. :)
i think i m getting better at this peach thing
I m just peachy ( sorry had too say it )
sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America