Photo by Melody

Herbs: My lavender is drowning or in the wrong place, can I repot?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 12, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2008
6:17 AM

Post #5316515

this one was ok on 7/18, but the leaves are turning gray all over. almost black.

should I transplant them (in July) or put them in a pot till next spring?
I have about 12 new plants ! Yikes. at least the herbs are doing ok.

Thumbnail by nanniepb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5316532

Nannie,

It's not the best of times, but this is an emergency! Pot them somewhere where their feet will stay on the dry side. They love lots of sun too!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5354035

I've been out of town... how are your new plants doing, Nanniepb? From that photo, I'm wondering if that plant might also have been planted a little too deeply... if the plant in the pot had a central "crown" where all the branches sort of came together, you don't want to bury that below the surface.

Good drainage is crucial, yes. Also, they like their foliage to stay as dry as possible... in our humid summers, mulching under them with pea gravel or sand helps by reflecting heat up into the center of the plant to keep the tops dry.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5354769

Welcome back, Critter. That plant was a lesson learned, believe me. I didnt bury it too deep, I threw more dirt on top if it about 2 weeks later when I was adding more plants to that bed. I thought it would help the lavender spread better, getting more stems under ground! dummy me! The good thing is that I didn't do it on the others.

The others seem to be just fine, so I haven't mulched them. yet. but I'll do that this weekend ... I'm not taking another chance.

i think it's time i learn a bit more about lavender BEFORE i plant any more, like a Lavender 101!

thanks for the crown info...that's another lesson :-)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5354877

"Lavender 101"... I just toured a lavender farm in Washington State, plus I've learned some lavender tips from Tom DeBaggio (local herb grower)... I'm on it! I'll put a "Lavender 101" type article on my to-do list. I love lavender. :-)

You can encourage lavender and similar herbs to "layer," but just don't bury the crown... bend stems down and anchor a portion just below the soil line so it can root.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5355726

I've been to his site, but I know it can't compare to a real visit. You are SO lucky. But...(drumroll, please) after I read your reply earlier, I started shopping online and found a used book on Amazon for $30. then I checked eBay and found one, used but in very good condition, for $18. Hardback! SO, I'm the proud owner of my own Big Book of Herbs !!!!

A few weeks ago, I found one of those rolling greenhouses that has 3 or 4 shelves and has a plastic cover that zips. (that I haven't put together yet) maybe I'll sow my own seeds for next year. =)

I can see me now...i live 5 miles from city limits, there's only two houses on this side road, so i'll have a table at the main road with a big umbrella and sign hanging that says Herbs for Sale, with a cofee can for people to put their money in and a catchy sign for paying on the honor system or 'you can pay me next time' if you think you can grow more than what you can afford. LOL... I'm reallllly daydreaming now.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5355758

You GROW, girl! :-)

You're going to love that book. It's got all the same great growing info in it as his great "little" book, also... so don't be intimidated when this heavy volume arrives on your doorstep!

Those plastic covered mini greenhouses are wonderful for hardening off seedlings without having to do the inside-outside-inside-outside dance with a dozen flats each morning & evening. I start seeds inside under lights and then use a mini greenhouse like that to harden off basil, peppers, etc. Click on my member page or go to this link to find a list of my articles, including a "Seed Starting 101" series that might interest you. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/by.php?user=critterologist
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5356126

Uhhh, Critter...I'd seen your articles linked when I'd get the weekly DG emails, but I didn't know you had written so many!!!

sheeese...am I bugging one of the Staff? lol tell me to go away!!

no, YOU GROW GIRL =)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5356188

I guess I've had my Thursday slot for a while now, LOL. Sorry, guess I should've just posted to the first article in the seed starting series to make it easier to find. I'm not an admin, just one of the regular writers... and you're not "bugging" me at all... How do you think I've learned the stuff I write about? By chatting with folks on the forums! :-)
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5356219

hey...Critterologist, since I sort of got your autograph, :-) and your ear, you need to do Sunflowers 101 too! OMG...I am in love all over again.

I've posted a few that I grew for the first time this year. I'm not a great photographer, but you have to open these to to appreciate their beauty. But you can see how intricate and detailed they are... Beautiful, Beautiful.

ok...time to quit monopolozing your time. till soon...
Phyllis

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884952/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5356257

Are you kidding? With those big blooming beauties, I think you could write "Sunflowers 101!" I agree, they're a wonderful flower, and the birds will love you for planting them, too.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5356391

After I joined the girls on the Group Trades, I found a picture I'd been saving for who knows how long on my bulletin board; it was from Southern Living ( darnit, I wish my scanner was hooked up) and way before I ever paid attention to a Sunflower.

It's a shot of the side of a shed with cedar siding (painted or stained country blue) and it has a roof with cedar shingles. the sunflowers have been tied together with twine in groups of 3 or 4, and they've been hung on nails on the side of this building.

it sort of looks like reading sheet music, because they're not all exactly in the same row or same length, but those sunflowers will be a feast of ripe seeds for birds! I hope I have that many!

Enough said...I've enjoyed the chats, but I've been so engrossed in sunflowers and lavender, LOL, that I've missed dinner!!

it's a good thing Dave doesn't charge us by the hour!!
bye fore now
Phyl

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5356497

LOL... I caught some dinner in between. :-)

You'll have to post a photo of your sunflower display at the end of the summer!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America