Photo by Melody

Weather: July Daily Weather,Part III Seasonal showers.

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 143, Views: 817
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5318765

With the 'early arrival' of 4 named tropical depressions many of us are catching up on rain.
79.0 F / 26 C
Light Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust: 15.4 mph / 24 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Mostly Cloudy 4500 ft / 1371 m
Overcast 6000 ft / 1828 m
I enjoy all of the hikes, overnight trips, and gardens you all post.
I'm aiming for a non coleus picture to start August with.
Please come by often.
Thanks for being here.
Sidney
Orangeola Lace Leaf Maple and Coleus

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5318866

I am here! OK not the first but reativlly close!
It is warm @ 88 breezy and I am tired.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5319013

What's wrong with coleus, Sidney? LOL Should I pop the flowers off of mine? They are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5319106

Yes Mam if you want to keep enjoying coleus deadhead . It will also help make them busier if you take the growing tips out. Just one or two sets of leaves. Usually before coleus bloom they send out flowers, they shoot flimsy leaves. I take those off with the blooms too.
They can produce seeds, but most are muddy.
If you want more d-mail me.
We have had so much rain that most everything I have has shot up.
To re-boot mine I am sending out bouquets not tagged but most are easily id.
Sidney
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5319645

Marsue Whats a Lime Zinger?
Celia Marsues hummer nectar recipe is the same one I use.
Kiska Another gorgeous picture! Wow
Sidney You have a pretty garden! I didnt know that you had to deadhead coleus. Mine have never bloomed though. I have 10 not quite blooms on the Brug you gave me! Yippeeeee! My Cherub blooms are still going strong.

82.8 F / 28.2 C
Haze
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 87 F / 31 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 50% chance of evening thunderstorms. Patchy fog forming after midnight. Low 72. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5320156

I didn't see Marsue's reference as I swamped here but I assume she's talking about Xanthosoma Lime Zinger . A BEAUTIFUL Aroid!

Hot and Humid!
Pond Tour this weekend so I'll be in and out...
We're going w/ our neighbors tomorrow.
Hoping to meet up w/ two or three DG'ers early.
Then we'll do drinks here later.

There's also a Garden Railway Tour going on here... so we may just stop by a few...

BBL
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5320580

Okay, thanks, Sidney. I have been pinching, I just wasn't sure about the flowers. I love the different colors they come in.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 26, 2008
3:33 AM

Post #5320892

The sun came out it got up to 62 so we took gkids to the "overflow swimming hole". It flows off the Knik Glacier so is a bit cold, but they loved playing in the water anyway.
Sugarweed~the coleous is so pretty.
Ric~have a great day at the event tomorrow. Sounds like a great day planned.
Hi Dyson~
MySharona~how pretty; hope you have a great weekend.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 26, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5320914

The small plane was flying low above the Knik River. The Silver Salmon are coming upriver, on the tide; I think it may have been flying to the area for some fishing.

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5321220

I understand fresh caught wild Salmon puts Lobster to shame.
I do hope to get up there someday and see for myself.
Celia I have 1/10th of an acre so I go for the amazing colors. And they don't have to bloom to show out.
All this rain demands a hard pruning.
Two tenths of an inch.
Sidney
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2008
9:56 AM

Post #5321588

Good Morning! It's Saturday, my favorite day!
Right now, 78F which feels downright cool.

Kiska: I complain a little when the heat and humidity get to be the same 90's figure, but I love the heat really. Couldn't do a cold climate.
Marsue: I have a Lime Zinger. Last summer the ducks chewed it to the ground and it was slow to come back, but it looks pretty good now. I love the color!

No rain in a few days, but we've had rumblings, so I'm hopeful. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5322064

Sidney: gorgeous coleus. wish I could partake but no place to put it--maybe next year!
Sharon: Lime Zinger is a type of Elephant Ear.
Ric: You are far more "educated" than I am about aroids! LOL Enjoy your garden tours this week-end--sounds like fun!
Kiska: A good time for the gkids! Neat photo of the plane. We could use some of your cooler weather down here!
Deb: gorgeous yellow flower! What is it?

"Dog days" of summer are definitely here! See heat advisory below. (I wonder why they call them "dog days"?)

Today
Isolated T-Storms
High 94F ( will "feel like" 105+)
Precip 30%
Wind: WNW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:13 AM CT
Avg. High: 92F
Record High: 102F (1986)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: WNW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 77%
Sunset: 8:15 PM CT
Avg. Low: 69F
Record Low: 56F (2000)

Heat advisory today and tomorrow with heat indexes between 105 and 110 :o((
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5322079

Marsue: That's a Gazania. Sorry, should've said.
The story is that they call these dog days because it's when the dog star (Cirius, I think) is high in the sky. That's the version I've heard anyway.
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5322100

Thanks for that infor, Deb, on both the "dog days" and the flower! :o))
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5322111

Good morning!

Deb those are some gorgeous blooms :-)

We got our day of summer yesterday! A high of 73F!!!!!!!!!! - The warmest day in 4 years. The last time it was this warm, Hildur Eva was 1 and Selma 5 ... wonder how long we'll have to wait for the next one ;-) lol Does NOT happen every year that's for sure. Anyway it was a blissfully warm day - the girls could run around with bare arms and feet without a chilling wind. So nice! :-) Too warm to do much of anything though ;-) lol. It was partly sunny, mostly a thin veil of clouds filtered the sunlight so it wasn't uncomfortably hot. Clouded up last evening with a bit of rain and wind last night.

Today it's sunny, windy (:-P) and 65F so it's still pretty warm. Too bad about the wind - Hildur Eva won't go outside because the wind's too cold. She hasn't even been out to test her theory ... this much wind just usually means it's cold outside. lol Usually it's not 65F though ;-) lol

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 26, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5322276

51F gray w/light rain.
rann~sounds like a day to remember; glad the girls enjoyed the warm day. Winds can sure change the mood in a hurry.
Deb~at least we're in the right part of the country for our needs. I sure couldn't do hot...the Gazania is gorgeous.
Sugarweed~not too sure about lobster, but the Silver Salmon is certainly one of the best of the varities, in my opinion.
We just finished smoking and canning several. Would be great if you could come up.
marsue~sure looks as if you could use some cooler weather there;
June pic

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5322300

Quoting:Too warm to do much of anything though ;-)

LOLOLOL Oh, glory, Rann... I'm going to be giggling about that line all day! :-)

It's 83 now and is going to be pushing 100 by this afternoon. We're going to a RU here in Houston. It has actually started already, but after being up early and rushing out the door every day this week, we're taking our time today. :-) VBS went great - and we're all glad it's done for a year! It's always kinda sad to see 2 weeks worth of hard work come down after everything is over. I'll post some pictures later... I'm waiting for the camera to unload all of its photos so I can pack it and we can get going. I'll talk to you all later!

I'm thinkin' the volcanoes in Alaska didn't erupt quite like this one, kiska... It's as close as we could come to it here in the flatlands of Texas, though. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 26, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5322322

MarylynT_X~
Have a great time today~in the heat,no less.
That's a magnificent volcano, would fit nicely
with the ones here.
Kiska
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5322571

LOL - Marylyn. Yeah I thought you'd get a laugh out of that! ;-) lol That's a nice looking volcano :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5324137

Rann: That made me laugh, as well. Our LOW last night was around 75! :) Glad you and the girls had a summer day!

Small t-storm just passed through, just as I was putting the last transplanted daylily in the ground, so that came in handy. Looks like about 1/4". Not bad. We'll take it!!
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5324219

Quoting:LOLOLOL Oh, glory, Rann... I'm going to be giggling about that line all day!

Yeah, me, too Marylyn! Currently 98 with a low of 74 forecast here! That's a great looking volcano. VBS must have been a "blast"!

I'd take a quarter of inch of rain right now, Deb. Lucky you! :o))
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5324534

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on July 26, 2008
89 F / 32 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

In February of 2007 I got Boo-Boo, a goldfish for the pond. He was pretty small so we kept him in the house and I figured I'd put him in the pond in the summer. I got pretty attached to him and decided I'd wait and put him in the pond in 2008. I still was reluctant to do it but he finally got big enough that I couldn't keep the water clean, so I put him into the pond yesterday. It's funny how you can get attached to these little guys. I couldn't imagine not having a fish in the house, so I got a new goldfish today. We'll keep him in the house until he gets bigger. Tentatively, his name is Torpedo. He's a pearlscale. http://www.goldfishsociety.org/optimized/fopt51.jpg

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5324709

It was HOT and HUMID for the Tour!
Then about an hour ago we got a brief spritz.
It looked like we;d get hit hard and POOF it disappeared...

The Tour is going GREAT!
We went w/ our neighbors and hooked up w/ Joycet just after Noon at Moonlit's house.
We seperated and hit some different sites.
She and her party then came over here for an hour or so before returning home.
Off to Edit and get the Cameras ready for tomorrow...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #5325851

What a cute little fishie!

Rann, I'm laughing, too. (It's actually more of a snort/laugh...☺)

We have 89 right now and it's breezy. Hopefully it will cool off some and we should have a little more rain. Maybe.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5326552

Kelli: pretty little fish! He doesn't look much like a "Torpedo"! LOL
Ric: looking forward to the pics of the garden tours. My DH has some cousins who are moving to the Macedonia area from Las Vegas as I type. They are elderly and have quite a bit of family up there. They just lost their only son in a boating accident in March so they are moving back "home" to a new independent living place for seniors. Hopefully it will prove to be a good move for them.
Celia: pretty gaillardia. Yours are more orangey than mine.
Today::
Isolated T-Storms
High 95F
Precip 30%
Wind: SE 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 60%
Sunrise: 6:14 AM CT
Record High: 102F (1986)
Tonight:
Isolated T-Storms Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 30%
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 8:14 PM CT
Record Low: 58F (2004)
80 on my backporch at 8 a.m.
Going to be HHH today! DH just came in with the newspaper. He said there are clouds and thunder to the north of us with a cooler breeze coming from that direction. Hopefully that means we will get one of those scattered showers soon. Sure hope so!
Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5326577

Here's Garden #16

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606391548863/

We call it 'The Castle'.

BBL off to the PONDS!
Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5326581

Good morning! We had a good time at the round up, and got lots of nice plants. I tried to get a babysitter because I thought the bunnies (and us, too!) would have a better time at home, but all of my usual babysitters were busy. It's just as well, cuz the bunnies had a great time. :-) I planted all of my new treasures when I got home... it was hot, but I was already sweaty and hot, so I figured I might as well be dirty, too. LOL We have lots of shade, so it wasn't too bad out there. I'm glad I got it done yesterday, because today is going to be even hotter and the mosquitoes are going to start getting really bad out there as all of the eggs that were laid during our rains last week start to hatch. We ended up getting almost 3 inches of rain from Hurricane Dolly. It was very welcome!

Torpedo is very cute, Kelli!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (25 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.1 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SW 220
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Mist (I'm not sure where this "mist" is falling, but it's not here!)

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 8:27 AM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5326833

Good morning!

Overcast and humid 74F. Just generally a damp gray. ;)
Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5326857

Marylyn, so glad you had a good time at the RU and the bunnies, too! They must surely be following in their mom's gardening footsteps! :o)) Sorry about the mosquitoes but the rain is good!

I can certainly see why you call it the "castle", Ric! and the pond pics are just scrumptious! I can hear the sound of the water trickling over the rocks. What a lovely place! Just looking at those photos certainly makes one "feel" cool even if the temp is hot!

Not raining here yet, but DH says it is going to. We'll see. The clouds have cooled things down a couple of degrees--it is now 78.

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5328004

It was another warm day today, started out sunny this morning, much calmer than yesterday and around 68F, clouded up in the afternoon and cooled down a bit, about 62F now at 6:30 pm. The girls have been enjoying the warm weather in the "pool" I bought them (a hot-tub size inflatable pool) with warm water ofcourse though ;-)

Ric- the pond photos are fantastic. I can't imagine having a garden big enough to fit a pond like that! Wow! Love the waterfalls :-)

Marylyn - sounds like fun! It's always so exciting to bring home nice treasures :-) Too bad about the mosquitos.

The girls in the summer "heat" on Friday :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5329932

We have rain! Not much but every little bit...

Darrell told me a couple of days ago about another DGer who had some diffculties. Aggiegirl. Some of you might have seen her around. She has some wonderful friends who are willing to do anything to help.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/868153/

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5330123

Wow, Celia, what a great story! I would encourage all of you to listen to it. You can find the link to NPR on the thread in the link above! DGers are the best!! I'm just sorry I didn't know about this until today.

Great photo of the girls in your garden, Rann--the flowers and the girls are so lovely!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5330597

54F/ raining off and on but all in all, a good day.
rann~the girls are growing up~ so cute. Glad you've had another nice day.
kelli~cute little Torpedo; how cool to have had the goldfish for so long.
marsue~ "cooled" down to 78 sure sounds "odd" from here:)) Hope you've enjoyed the cool down.
MarylynT_X~bet the plants will be happy in their new surroundings:)
kwanjin~ will check that out after here.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 28, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5330872

Hey, guys ! I'm sorry I haven't been here for so long, I miss you all so much, especially your gorgeous pics! I have so much to do arround the house, cleaning and setting things up...when it was already set...somehow...the carpenter came and made more wood dust(!), back to vacuuming!LOL
I already had my first visitors yesterday : one of Cici's colleague from work and her DH, very good friends of ours. She is a registered nurse, like Cici and he was an opera singer, now retired. They are funny and love dogs ! Both were so surprised about the house, loved it and took several tours to see it better. They were so nice to come and bring us an old debt, so we can pay the workers for finishing the house. They came with mititei, beer, coke and ice cream for us, humans and crunches for the doggies. The grill works great ...we already had a barbecue on Saturday, Ionut is the barbecue man!
Meanwhile a worker put on the tiles on the entrance stairs...they had to be broken off because they weren't well done...some other waisted money !
The good thing is the roof man came too and the fence man is going to come tomorrow...things are finally coming to an end! I managed to clean up and order things inside the house and even weed a bit . The weather was great on week-end, sunny and it got warm again, but not so hot like hot July, thank God! I have pictures, of course, but I had no time to upload it...hopefully today , when I get back home.
Hugs,
Adina
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2008
8:16 AM

Post #5330890

It threatened to rain all afternoon...just got about 7 drops tonight. Was about 90...very humid though.

Thumbnail by KatG

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #5331065

Welcome KatG!

I am hopelessly behind here! We had a very HHH weekend, but did receive 1" of rain in a pretty volatile thunderstorm yesterday. Gosh it was miserable! LOL!

76.1 F / 24.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 90% edited to add AAACCCKKKK
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers early in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88 (yeah right). South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Sidney - Look!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 7:05 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5331428

Kiska: love that photo! Is that purple sage/salvia in the foreground?
Adina: welcome back! Moving is always hectic and there are always things that need to be completed, "set-up", etc. It will "smooth out" soon. Hooray for your first barbecue--made me hungry just reading about it! LOL!
Welcome to the weather thread, KatG! Very pretty palm trees in that photo. it threatened rain all day here yesterday with a cloud cover but nothing materialized in spite of my DH's predictions! :o((
Sharon: congrats on the 1" of rain! Lovely brugs! How is Gary?

Today:
Partly Cloudy
High 99F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
Sunrise: 6:15 AM CT
Record High: 105F (1986)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 74F
Precip 10%
Max. Humidity: 68%
Sunset: 8:14 PM CT
Record Low: 57F (1994)
We are under a heat advisory until 9 p.m. on Tues. CDT with afternoon heat indexes from 105 to 110 !! Yikes!!

mystery rose

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5332488

Anybody talk to Joey lately?

74F with 96 later. More clouds and thunder. Our mts are so dry now. Lightning only makes more fires. I'm surprised we haven't had any yet.
Feels like: 74F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 55
Humidity: 52%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph S
Sunrise: 6:21 AM
Sunset: 8:46 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5333170

Good morning~
52 Overcast. Highs to high 50's low 60's.
Thanks, too.
Welcome KatG~what a beautiful and serene setting you have.
I've not heard from Joey, either.
marsue~the wildflowers in foreground could be either monk's hood or maybe delphinium. Love your mystery rose.
MySharona~a volitile thunderstorm~must have been awesome to hear. Too bad about the HHH.
Adina~love what's going on at your new house. So happy for you.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5334410

Marsue Do your NOID roses have a little white varigation in them? They look similar to mine.
Celia Ive been looking for Joey for a month. Where did she go? Pretty flowers!
Kiska Beautiful picture : ) We had another bad storm come through today. The office closed at 4:00 Yay! It was nice to get leave a little early.

Gary had a great week last week. He did so well during chemo. He is so funny. There was a new guy in for treatment on Friday. Gary's first question right off the bat..."You aren't going to be sick are you? I can't handle it when people get sick"! LOL! Gary had me cover him up from his head to his toes with the blankets, put his earphones on and sang along to the movie Sweet Home Alabama. He did the lalalalalalalala thing when the man started coughing. Everyone was so tickeld with him.

We've been watching his vitals very closely. His resting heart rate is normally very high (78) so we have to give him Lopressor if it gets over 100. It's been over 130 at times. That freaks me out. All I think is heart attack.

He had a shot today to boost his white cells and had to have some blood drawn. The doctor asked nonchalantly which hospital we wanted Gary taken to if he got sick. Now we have to watch for fever.

Gary has a 1 hour appointment tomorrow for chemo.Then he's off for a week.

76.8 F / 24 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 85%
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa(Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1800 ft / 548 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft / 3657 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Don't look Kiska! Are they doing what I think they're doing? LOL!! This was a first for me!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 28, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5334441

MySharona~glad you're home early, too. The news of Gary is sure a mixed bag, isn't it? Glad he's had a good week.
Sorry; with the heads up, didn't look at the pic.
52F raining.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5335083

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Ric, glad your wind damage wasn't too bad.

Pepper, thanks for the explanation for Deb.

Our winds were about 90 mph. in 1998, they were as high as 136 mph and lasted most of the day. The tree trimmers came today and we had to take the ash down. They cleaned broken branches from 3 walnut trees and raked up their mess. They're local guys, so we know them. It's been a week of cleaning the yard, but one stick at a time and your done eventually.

It's 82* and humid. This week it will be in the 90's. The hottest weather we've had all summer. We've been so lucky to have a cool wet summer.

I'm too tired to read everything. Maybe later.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5335127

Mostly cloudy today.
Hot and Humid though... just a few splats of rain...

LOL! Lizard Whoopie!

I'm uploading shots from the Pond tour.
I'll BBL w/ the Collection Page... 6 Ponds up so far...

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5335356

Here's the first six ponds done in a Collection on Flickr.

http://flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157606405344822/

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
1:54 AM

Post #5335648

I cannot imagine winds of 136 mph.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on July 28, 2008
81 F / 27 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the South
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1014 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today is supposed to be the least hot day of the week so we went hiking. Flower-wise, I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Today you have pictures of some things that I usually ignore.

coast morning glory (It looks prettier in the picture than in real life - not that it's ugly, but it just doesn't rock my world.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5335663

tarweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5335669

Kinda looks like fall, doesn't it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5335719

Torpedo was too long of a name for my fish. I named him Poco. That was just some sounds that I put together that sounded good but it turns out that is Italian for little. He is little. He's also smart. Within 24 hours, he figured out which corner of the tank the food comes from. Now he associates me with food. When he hears me walking around, he goes to the corner of the tank where the food comes from.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5335813

72 and clear here tonight with a high of 82 expected tomorrow.

Rannveig...I absolutely loved your "island vacation" photos. What a great place to visit! And...I feel your pain. That "heat wave" must have been awful! :) Your kids sure are growing. My youngest is heading to college next month.

Kiska...Alaska is looking beautiful as ever!

Ric...that's quite a tour. I've wanted a water feature here for a while now but just haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe next year.

Great photos everyone!

I've been lurking every day but haven't posted for a while. Summer is flying by. There's a song with a line that goes "the days they rattle past me like a tunnel 'round a train". It sure is true. My first grandchild arrived last Friday--a little boy. I'm still working on my new fenced in garden and have made quite a bit of progress. I've also been doing a lot of biking and my rides are getting longer--stretching out into the 40-50 mile range.

Here is a recent photo of the flower bed. The arbor isn't finished yet and I'm not too fond of the green paint. I think I'll end up going with brown.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5335818

Another.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5335828

Here's a rural scene I came across while out biking.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5335835

And just one more. A red barn rises out of a sea of ripened wheat.

early_bloomer

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5335837

Celia, neat coreopsis. Hooray--you are getting some rain!!
Kiska: another great photo of snow-capped mountains!
Sharon: That photo of the "critters" was a first for me, too! I'm not sure about the roses--I'd have to look closer for the white varigation. It's so hot that I just run out early in the morning, snap a few pics and run back inside--I don't take time to look closely! LOL So glad to hear about Gary's good week!
BP: glad you are getting things cleaned up and out of the way. I know it's a relief to get that behind you.
Ric: I'll check out that link tomorrow--looking forward to it.

My "little prince", my 8 yr. old DGS, broke his arm over the week-end when he fell off his "rip stick". Actually, it wasn't a solid break, just a "hairline fracture" but the doctor put it in a cast so it would heal properly. DGS picked out his favorite color for the cast: green. He is proud of it now but I'm sure after 6 weeks, he will be glad to get rid of it!

Thumbnail by marsue

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5335874

marsue...he looks like he's taking it well. My kids had a couple of those broken arms.
I should know this but what is a "rip stick"?

early_bloomer
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
2:26 AM

Post #5335888

Kelli and EB: you each posted while I was looking for the above photo of DGS. I had "hidden" it inside another file and it took me a while to find it, LOL.
Anyway, Kelli: I like Poco for the fishie's name better than Torpedo. He sure is a smart little fish! It certainly looks dry out your way. That coast morning glory looks great in the photo!
EB: Such a typically picturesque red barn--what lovely photos! I may have to use them for background! Your arbor garden is coming along nicely. The green paint might blend in very nicely with whatever plants you are putting up against it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5335905

EB: I have no earthly idea what a "Rip stick" is. I didn't want to show my grandmotherly ignorance by asking about it when he told me that is what he fell off! LOLOL I'm assuming it is a type of scooter, but maybe Marylyn in TX can enlighten both of us! :o)) By the way, congrats on the first grand baby. You are about to find out why they call them "grand"!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5336009

Nice barn scenes, E_B. Where I lived in PA, most of the barns were white, one in a while with a weathered Mail Pouch advertisement on one end. They usually had just regular gable roofs, not gambrel roofs. The silos look exactly the same, though. I lived in just a regular ol' housing development, but there were various farms within a few miles. Most of them are gone now - replaced by scores of houses almost as big as barns. There was one barn in particular that was interesting. It was dilapidated but had some traces of Victorian fanciness to it. It don't remember exactly, but I think there was some kind of decoration in the gable end and it had louvred windows - not really windows, but long, narrow vertical vents. I think my cousin said that that barn fell down.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5336016

Quoting:...but maybe Marylyn in TX can enlighten both of us! :o)

Hah! My bunnies are only 5 & 7 and just got their first scooters on Saturday. I'm very grateful to say that I have no idea what a "rip stick" is. LOL I was looking at scooters on Amazon.com last week (they both LOVE playing with the scooters at a friend's house), and I chose the one which had the most "Tooo boring! You can't do ANY tricks on these! Perfect for little kids, but if you want to buy a REAL scooter..." reviews. LOL Considering how fearless the little bunny is, I'm sure I'll be finding out about rip sticks and more soon enough! (gulp...)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2008
6:33 AM

Post #5336652

Just an FYI so you can look and sound hip around the kids. A ripstik is a skateboard. It's wider on the ends and narrow in the middle. Like this...

http://www.target.com/Razor-RipStik-Green/dp/B000J2CSS6/sr=1-1/qid=1217313114/ref=sr_1_1/601-3710120-1320915?ie=UTF8&rh=k:ripstik&page=1

It's the latest thing, Mau and I'll bet your DGS's is that color, too!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5336835

Sally I hate that you have so much to clean up and you had to remove an Ash : (
I remember you had trouble with winds last year. Is this something that is common to your area?
Ric LOL!
Kelli The MG is just so white with barely a hint of color in the center very pretty. I does look like Fall! Poco is too cute! Looks no bigger than a thumbprint.
E_B Congratulations Grandpapa! You must post a pic of your DGB when you get a chance. Where did you get all of the mini boulders? I know you get the limestone locally. Wish we could all we have is sand. The arbor is going to be awesome when youre done. Your pictures never fail to amaze me.
Marsue LOL! Your DGS is a cutie. Hell have a ton of signatures soon and bragging rights to go with it!

74.7 F / 23.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F / 23 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. South winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

DH is busy making the Voyager, truck and work van eco friendly and boosting the mileage. The Voyager is running with the Hydrogen boost getting about 70mpg.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 8:38 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5337228

Thanks guys, I have the pics to show you.
The lunch with our friends..

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5337234

And when eating the ice cream !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5337238

Here is the house with the pots in front.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5337243

The MGs are growing bigger than in the city!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5337245

The purple one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5337266

Yum! Adina! Those are big, tasty-looking tomatoes!
Celia: thanks for the info on the rip-stick. Now I am an "in the know" grandma! Yep--he would certainly like that green one!
Aw, Marylyn, I just knew you would know, even if the bunnies don't have one. However, from the looks of that thing in the link Celia provided, I wouldn't want any bunnies, male or female, of mine to be riding one of those!! And of course, my DGS was over at his aunt's house when it happened and he wasn't wearing his helmet or arm/shin guards, either!--Typical boy thing!
Sharon: 70 mph! Wow! Send your DH up here--maybe he can convert our vehicle! LOL Have you tried Dmailing Joey? sure do miss her.
Today
Mostly Sunny
High 100F
Precip 10%
Wind: SW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 48%
Sunrise: 6:15 AM CT
Record High: 105F (1980)
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 75F
Precip 20%
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 67%
Sunset: 8:13 PM CT
Record Low: 54F (1994)

Heat indexes from 105 to 110 again today. I have the sprinkler going as I type--gotta go move it. Y'all stay cool!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5337291

I found this poor "visitor" in my yard, after I heard a noise, like someone had hit the roof. It was this owl baby who fell off, as I figured, he couldn't move his legs, his eyes almost closed, very weak ...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5337298

He looked like this.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5337312

OK, I just googled it and they have this size as adults. I put the owl in a box, on the balcony upstairs, while we left for work. She already opened her eyes and seemed she wanted to fly. I thought she might fly back to the roof...instead, she fell back to the ground, but she was still alert, opened her eyes wide... I gave her to a neighbor who knew more about owls.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 29, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5337339

More pics if you want to see : http://picasaweb.google.com/adinamiti/Home?authkey=x9Y1aTYYYWI
This is what I baked yesterday and, thus, learned how to use the oven : blueberry pie!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5338029

Adina, that owl is so cute! Your house is turning out more lovely every day. Your friends very much look like they enjoy your company. The puppies are cuties, too. I maybe should know this but is Boss the daddy? And how did you know blueberry pie is one of my favorites? LOL Looks yummy!

74F with 94 for later. No rain yesterday. We could sure use it. Thye keep telling us it's possible but...

Dewpoint: 47
Humidity: 38%
Wind: 10 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:22 AM
Sunset: 8:45 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Sharon, your man is very handsome. When he's finished at Mau's, he can come to my house and do our vehicles!

Darrell and I looked at a "new" car for him. I won't post pics unless we get it. It'll be a surprise. I will say this, the guy only drove it in summer, parked it in the garage when not being used and is a 1991 with only 7,500 miles on it.

The safflower bloomed yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5338065

Hi all!
Just have a moment to"check in". (Working. sigh.)
EB: Congrats!! (Love the red barn shots.)

85F on its way to somewhere in the mid 90s. Humidity is about 91%. Off and on cloudy, but the forecast says "isolated t-storms possible", which doesn't really mean any wet stuff for us!

Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5338147

Adina: Great photos of the house, puppies, owl, friends, barbecue, etc. Yummy looking blueberry pie--mmmmm. Mama dog is doing a good job of feeding those puppies--their little tummies are fat! Your morning glories are really growing--they'll have that fence covered in no time!
Deb: isolated thunderstorms forecast here, too, but none so far. Had to water this morningl
Celia: 7500 miles and 17 years old--that car must be a real creampuff!! Pretty safflower bloom--love the yellow!

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5339708

Something different today - we had an earthquake. It was a 5.4 centered near Chino Hills, which is 45 miles from here. No injuries have been reported. Here, it was certainly enough to get my attention but nothing where I felt I needed to take cover. The window blinds shook and the lampshade rattled.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 29, 2008
82 F / 28 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.96 in / 1014 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Here is a random picture from the "archives". It is the Bridgeport covered bridge. It's in California Gold Rush country.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5340216

Adina Nice pictures! I love the outdoor seating. I hope the owl makes it poor thing. The blueberry pie looks delicious! Do you put cream or ice cream on it?
Marsue LOL! I told Jeff we are going to have to make some trips around the States!
Celia- I really hope you are able to get the new car. It sounds wonderful! Cant wait to see it! The safflower is very pretty.
Deb Did you get any rain?
Marsue The roses are so pale - gorgeous!
Kelli I heard about the earthquake on the news. Do you get motion sick when it happens? I cant imagine. That is one amazing bridge! I love it!

76.8 F / 24.9 C
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 73 F / 23 C
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1900 ft / 579 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Becoming partly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Locally heavy rainfall possible early in the evening. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Silly bird - the food is in the bowl not under it!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5340278

Sharon, no, they don't last long enough to get motion sickness. They only last about 10 seconds most of the time.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5340473

Kelli, they are something, and they went on most of the day. I felt like screaming ''enough already!'' Wind can make you crazy! Bottom of the barrel is just opportunity for something different :o) Those are nice! Poco is pretty!

Early, big congrats for a little boy!! How wonderful!! That is quite a bike ride. It's one mile around the outside of Nichols. The town would think I was loco going around more than 3 times :o) I agree, brown paint would be more subtle. It's a nice garden! I love the barns! So many around here need paint or repair. Many have bit the dust. It's sad.

Marsue, it is nice to back to ''normal.'' Yes he will be very tired of it. I'm glad it isn't a bad break.

Marylyn, I remember my little boring red scooter with the big tires. My neighbor has a small ''Razor'' with tiny tires of hard plastic, and does grinders. Big shrug!!

Sharon, our weather over the last few years has many older people saying they don't remember things like this happenening. This year we have been cool and wet. This week is the hottest it's been all summer. July was great. I've spent every day outside, in the garden, flower beds and yard. Mowing has been a pleasure and the grass never went dormant. Great for grandsons who come here to wear shorts and go bare toes. ( They have sandburs.) Wow, the Hydrogen Boost really works?

Adina, lunch looks delicious!! Tomatoes, yum! Ice cream looks good too! Wow! I love your house! The pots really finish it! Pretty MG's. Poor owl. I'm glad she got better. She really is alert! If we found one we would have to call the police station and they would send a DNR (Dept.of Natural Resources) guy out to take it. Pie too! I want to bake!!

Kwanjin, the car sounds nice! Pretty safflower. Is it the same one the spice comes from?

Marsue, that's a lovely rose!

Wow Kelli! we had an earthquake a month or so ago. It was mostly felt by those in a two story house. I never felt it. Has to be a different experience! Neat bridge!

Sharon, that is so cute! It should be one of those contests where you provide the caption. I think you just won :o)

83* and hot and humid. We had more thunder than rain. I doubt it washed the sawdust off the plants. It was cloudy most of the day, so outside I was!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5341051

82 clear.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5341105

81and w/ a 69% Humidity VERY Muggy!
Hopefully we'll get those showers tomorrow!

Here's Pond #22
Sidney I thought of you as soon as I saw it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606447117855/

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5341120

Meant to say the car has 17,500 miles not 7,500. ☺ But still...we talked to the bank and should have an answer tomorrow.

The safflower is where you get safflower oil and other things. Here's a link...

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Cart_tin.html

It looks very cloudy and threatening out now. Maybe it'll rain? We have a brush fire in the mountains east of us. If the wind and the storm pick up, we could see the fire spreading to homes in the canyon.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5341702

79 and DARK
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5341806

85 and DARK here, Dyson.

Sharon: silly bird, indeed! LOL By the way, today I dropped a line via "snail mail" to Joey. Maybe she will reply soon and we will know where she has been hiding.
Quoting:I've spent every day outside, in the garden, flower beds and yard. Mowing has been a pleasure and the grass never went dormant.

BP: I'm moving to Iowa for the rest of the summer!

Kelli: great pic of the covered bridge--didn't know they had covered bridges in CA.
Earthquake!--a whole lotta shakin' goin' on! (Sorry--couldn't resist that!)

The rose is an old-fashioned rose which was started from a bush that belonged to the grandmother of a lady who posts on the Mid-South forum. It is called "Gunny's Rose" in honor of the grandmother who was known as "Gunny" to her grandchildren. Nice story, huh? and I am honored to be a recipient of one of "Gunny's roses".
Ric: I'll have to check out that link tomorrow--it's past my bedtime!
No rain today but the flowers did get their drink of water from the hose.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5342355

Kelli Thats good! There was an earthquake I want to say about a year ago in the Gulf of Mexico. People said they felt it into SC, but I didnt feel a thing!
Sally July and August are awful here esp on the island. HHH from the time I get up til the time I go to bed. Ugh. We received a minimum of 1of rain every day this week which is awesome. I heard Jax is up 10 this month. Not sure where we stand though. When its raining the temps come down, but after the humidity is even worse. I worked outside while it was sprinkling last weekend. Dont be surprised when Marsue and I show up at your door! LOL! The HHH works like a charm. Jeff is installing on the work van next then his Silverado, then mine. I was so tickled with that bird.
Ric Thats a beautiful pond! Wow!
Celia I just know you are going to get the car! Fingers crossed here! Any more news on the fire?
Marsue- I picked up a card yesterday and am mailing to day to Joey. Ive sent d-mails too. Beginning to worry.
Celia I like the Spice page!

74.5 F / 23.6 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 90% ACCCCCKKKKKKK again
Pressure: 29.98 in / 1015.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 15000 ft / 4572 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Heat index readings 98 to 102.

Here's another a little fuzzy , but posting anyway. Hello?

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
11:14 AM

Post #5342508

Everyone: Joey's address is in the address exchange--how about all of us dropping a note to her to let her know we miss her?
Ric: loved the pond tour--it made me feel cool for a little while--such a lovely, serene place that appeared to be although I know photos can't show things like heat and humidity.
Sharon: what clowns those birds are! :o))

80 at 6 a.m. and no longer Dyson dark--day is breaking.
Today
Mostly Sunny
High 98F
Precip 20%
Wind: SW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
Sunrise: 6:16 AM CT
Record High: 108F (1986)
Tonight:T-Storms Late (We can hope!)
Overnight Low 75F
Precip 50% (Hooray!)
Wind: SSW 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 71% (UGH!!)
Sunset: 8:12 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 57F (1994)
Heat indexes again today above 105

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5342962

I hope Joey is ok, too.

Marsue, now that I've seen the picture, I have seen a rip stick. I just didn't know what they were called. :-) The girls' scooters are Razor A2s.

Adina, I want some of that pie, too!! It looks delicious. (wiping the drool off of the keyboard...)

E_B, your photos are gorgeous. Congratulations on the grandson!! :-)

Celia, you have us on tenterhooks waiting to see your new car.

Sharon, and speaking of cars... hydrogen boosters? Really? How do those work and where do you get the hydrogen to refill them? Cool!

Ric, the tour photos have been gorgeous!!!

Kelli, I'm glad the earthquake wasn't too bad. I thought of you immediately when I heard about it.

My weather looks a lot like Marsue's and Sharon's, but with only a very little chance of rain. We can't complain (much), though... The rest of Texas and Oklahoma are going to be in the 100s. We're only going to be in the upper 90s. (The bunnies and I are staying in the house today!)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (53 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.7 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 F 28 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0F / 26.1C
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5342986

Yes, Marylyn, it is HHH all across the south! :o((

Sharon, you asked if my "mystery rose" had white varigations in it. I went out and took this photo this morning. The outer edges of some of the petals on mine also have a dark streak in them. Does your rose look like this, close-up?

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5343144

Hey everyone, just a quick check in with the weather report :-)

It's sunny, light breeze and 72F in the shade, on the sunny side of the house it feels like 90F so it's definately a too hot to do anything day today ;-) Went to the grocery store earlier and the veggie cooler felt sooooooo nice! lol It's 75F in the house, we're used to 68F ...

Love all the photos! I'll be back later to comment ;-)

have a great day all! We'll be enjoying the heat wave with the certainty that it'll be over soon ;-) lol

Rann
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 30, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5343908

52 not yet raining, but close to it.
I've not heard from Joey, either. Will send a note, too.
Sooo many things have gone on here; just too far behind for comments other than it's been nice "visiting" w/you all this morning.
Yesterday it got up to 68 so we took the grandkids back to the river to play in the water. They loved it.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5343921

I'm going to ask all of you if anyone knows Crissyr. She was a regular on the Stop and Visit Thread and now she's gone missing. Nobody seems to have a number for her. I think she got sick but I'm not sure what happened. So if you hear from her, please let me know.

Missing Joey, too.

Mau, your roses and orchids, as always, are beautiful. It seems my Iceberg rose is coming back. It's putting out new foliage and looking better. It WAS a black and green bunch of sticks.

Cute birdies, Sharon. Such fun to watch. And you'll just have to wait on the car. We do! LOL The spice page is fun. All kinds of info there.

Ric, that pond tour was amazing! I need one in my yard! Maybe in a couple of years/after a move. Who knows...

78F with 94 later today. It's dry and HHH and not much fun to out in. Fires are burning in two places. The one I told you about yesterday and another a little south of us. No structures being threatened yet. Thye don't know what caused them are thinking humans are responsible.
Feels like: 78F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↓
Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:22 AM
Sunset: 8:44 PM

Here's tiny hint what the car looks like.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5343925

Kiska, we crossed. Kids look like they're having a ball.

How long is your growing season? I'm curious.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5343979

LOL at "what the car looks like", Celia! Nice color! Crissyr lives about an hour's drive from me--she has been new to the Mid-south forum this spring. She posts fairly often but haven't seen anything from her in a few days. I'll send her a dmail and see what's up--I know she works outside the home and she has teens and a hubby, so she is probably just busy these days.

Kiska: I take it the grandkids don't actually go swimming--no bathing suits to be seen on them--but they just like to play around the water?

climbing Golden Showers--not climbing very high, yet.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5343995

I did send a her a d-mail day before yesterday but nothing yet.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5344000

Well, I just sent her one--maybe they are on vacation?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5344021

The last thing I heard was she was having some pain in the mid-section. She was asking for help to get rid of it. Now she's gone.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 30, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5344110

Nice looking car, from the preview peek.
The growing season is generally from late May-early June to late August; cool weather crops of broccoli, cauliflower, wonderfully sweet cabbage, carrots, potatoes, kolorabi, etc. do exceptionally well. Long daylight, rainy and cool and they can grow to huge sizes.
The kids do go in the water; just haven't downloaded those yet. They don't stay long, though. I have a wool blanket to wrap them in when they come out of the water.
Hope our DG friends are ok..
Glacier silt makes the water gray. It's from the upstream Knik Glacier and is why the water is chilly. The place where the kids play, is a small, shallow side of the river.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5345199

It's official!

Today was the warmest day here in the Reykjavik area ever recorded. The official high was 78F, it was 82F in the shade on the sunny side of the house (the thermometer showed over 100F in the sun).

We decided to end the day on the beach - it was incredibly crowded when we got there around 6 pm - this is how it looked when we were leaving around 8 pm.

EB - thanks! Glad you enjoyed the photos :-) Congratulations on your new grandbaby! Wonderful photos :-) What are you going to plant in your new garden? Roses??

Adina - cute owl! The house looks great! :-)

Kelli - it looks very dry there. The morning glory is very pretty. Poco is so cute :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5345265

Oh, Celia, that pain in the mid-section doesn't sound good for crissy--let me know if you hear anything.
Kiska: neat shot of the gray water.
Rann: it looks as if a lot of your fellow Icelanders joined you there at the beach! You are having a real "heat wave"!!

It's 98 here at 4:25 p.m. HHH!!!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5345408

marsue - we had to park a long way from the parking lot, there was a traffic jam when we arrived, so many people were leaving at that time. It was crazy. But if there ever was a day to go to the beach it was today. lol

The girls testing the water. It was really cold!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5345534

Oh goodness! I can't imagine anyone going swimming in the water there. Do you have any idea what the water temperature is?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5345554

No but the air temp is 86 here, it is overcast. and the ac feels good. Oh yea - it is not dark yet.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5345770

Kelli - I have no idea - I waded in to test it - it felt cold, not fridgid though. The swimming area is fed with warm water so it's not quite as cold as the normal sea temperature which is around 50F I'd guess at this time of year.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5345804

Sharon: No measurable rain yesterday, but we just had a little t-storm drop about 1/4".
Kelli: I thought about you when I saw the earthquake on the news.
Ric: Enjoying your pond series.

Rann: Look at those Icelandic sun worshippers! :) I don't
think we've ever seen a picture of your girls without sweaters on.

It was the usual HHH today, but the storm cooled things down into the upper 70s in the course of about 15 minutes. Nice!
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5346186

I'm finally back!! Our phone has been out for over a week and we didn't get it fixed til yesterday.

Dolly made presence known last night with thunder and heavy downpours. The rain continued til late afternoon today. I figure we have at least 5 inches around here.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5347092

Hi all.
I'm just trying to get all my loose ends tided up in the next few weeks.
Clean slate to start the Fall with.
I got a good hard 1" in about 90 minutes this afternoon.
My electric rain is turned off.
It would tickled me pink if it did that every day.
Knockout CoCo

Thumbnail by sugarweed

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5347456

Marsue Your Phal blooms are beautiful!
Marylyn DH has been researching the boosters for about 6 months now. The secrect is baking soda! I cant explain it, but it works! Ill have him type something up and yall can read all about it!
Rann This may be a silly question, do you have a/cs there? If not, what do you do when you get too hot?
Kiska- The GKs had a grand time at the river!
Celia Im liking the color of the new car!
Marsue Your fence is going to look amazing when the plants fill in!
Celia I dont know Crissyr is, but I hope she is well.
Kiska Looks like someone dumped a bunch of bath salts in the river!
Rann The beach was packed! Its a pretty one. Our beach water temp is a lovely 83*---kind of feels like a bath.
Pepper Welcome back! I thought you went on vacation!

76.3 F / 24.6 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 71 F / 21 C
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

I'm enjoying the rain everyday it's nice for a change. I heard Jax water surplus is up by 2 3/4". We've been getting about 2* warmer than WX forecasts.

Marsue here is my mystery rose...kind of looks like Sidney's too.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #5347525

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy this morning with a ligh breeze blowing and lovely 63F :-) Back to normal :-)

Sharon - we don't have ac's - when it gets too hot in the house we just open a window - or two ... or the door ... not many times that it's too hot outside ;-) lol It was 80F inside the house last night when we got back from the beach - but by that time it had cooled down outside so we just slept with all windows open.

A view of the beach and the "hot tub" emerging with the low tide. When we arrived at the beach it was totally under water.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #5347610

I'm so looking forward to 63*! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
12:11 PM

Post #5347708

Welcome back, pepper! Glad your computer is up and running again.
Sidney, what is "electric rain"?--an automatic sprinkler system, perhaps? Knockout Coco is lovely!
Sharon: your mystery rose bud is gorgeous! My mystery rose has to be one of two roses--either climbing Don Juan or Europeana. DH didn't leave the labels with them when he planted them but we do know what we bought. I'm thinking it is beginning to look like a climber so it could be Don Juan but when I compared the petals to my other two Don Juans, they weren't exactly the same color. So maybe it's Europeana--I guess time will tell. LOL
Rann: it looks like a good time was had by all at the beach. It's such a joy to see the children enjoying themselves in the water! I would be happy to have a day where the high was 80 although our high today is just supposed to be 90--a real cool front! LOL
Today
Scattered T-Storms
High 90F (ONLY)
Precip 50% (C'mon RAIN!)
Wind: SSW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 6:17 AM CT
Record High: 112F (1986)
Tonight:
T-Storms Early
Overnight Low 72F
Precip 50%
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 87%
Sunset: 8:11 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 54F (1971)

Joseph's Coat

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5347789

Sharon - Yeah I can only imagine! lol It's still too hot in the house though, 75F right now, 65F outside. I guess it's a good day to be outside ;-) lol

marsue - 80F was nice for a day, but I'm so glad it's cooler today. I didn't get a thing done yesterday - it was just too hot to move ;-) lol We found ourselves wondering yesterday how on earth you guys cope ... we decided it must be the airconditioning ;-) lol

Hildur Eva all covered in sand :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #5347841

The air conditioning definitely helps, Rann! LOL We keep our house at around 76 during the summer. It feels nice and cool to us! :-) The air is SOO humid here that part of the benefit of the air conditioning is sucking the moisture out of the air so the house and everything in it doesn't turn green and fuzzy with mold. :-P

Joseph's Coat is gorgeous, marsue!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (45 min ago)
Temperature 76 F 24 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.8 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 80 F 27 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 79.0F / 26.1C

Today Partly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat index readings 104 to 107.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
1:12 PM

Post #5347943

Hildur Eva is way too cute! LOL!

Joseph's Coat is beautiful :)

Here is the site where DH got his ideas for water powered vehicles (HHO = oxyhydrogen).

http://water4gas.com/2books.htm?hop=index2html

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5348791

Everyone's roses are beautiful! I only have the yellow ones right now.

Rann, your girls are the cutest ever! I showed Darrell your beach pics and he said they reminded him of his days in San Diego when the beaches get mobbed. The water there gets to a pleasant 70, though. In OR, the water was about 50 and kids were still in it. Not me! LOL I just wet my feet and headed back out.

Kiska, I've never seen grey water before that didn't have a clean kid getting out of it! LOL Just amazing how the silt can change the water color.

Sharon, thanks for sharing the info of the water cars! I'll have to show Darrell that one, too.

74F with 94 for later. Gee, I can't wait.

Dewpoint: 45
Humidity: 35%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:23 AM
Sunset: 8:43 PM

Well, we didn't get the car. Our CU wouldn't give us what the owner was asking because NADA said it wasn't worth that much. (sigh) Darrell is still looking at others cars that are similar in the area. I have to remember what the Man In Black told Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride..."Get used to disappointment." We'll find another like it. In the meantime...here's the car that was almost ours.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5348823

We got a T1 line here at work.
So since we have to take lunch...
I get to play at work!

We got a spit of the rain that ran south of us.
We'll be watering hard by the weekend.

The tomatos are starting to come on... Herald is a nice good flavor 'early' we've just found out.
Not as good as the later varieties but hey...it ain't Hot House!

Still editing photos from the tour... up to pond 23...Moonlit's here at DG...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5348838

What a beauty of a car, Celia! No wonder y'all wanted it! so sorry it didn't work out but maybe there is an even better one awaiting you!

I think the weather guys have missed our forecast--it is already 91! and no rain clouds in sight.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5348953

That's a beautiful car, Celia. I can see why you wanted it! I LOVE Princess Bride! :-)

Sharon, my dh is interested in hearing from your dh how the HHO system works out for you in a few months after you have had time to get used to it. :-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5348998

It is beautiful! We're sort of in mourning for it. LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 31, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5349624

Celia, sorry you didn't get the car! Those puppies are of Gavrila's, not Boss. Boss had to be put down a month ago, just before we moved in. Gavrila is the GS you see arround the house.
Rann, love your pics and the girls are so beautiful !
E_B, congratulations for your first DGS !
Sally, I'd have loved to call the DNR, if they had one here!LOL I'm sure they are, butv they aren't so eficient and alert!
Sharon, great pic with the silly bird, you crack me up!LOL I put custard inside the pie. Love your roses.
Kelli, I'm glad you are well and there were no damages of the earthquake.
Here's the first blue MG blooming this morning!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 31, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5349633

And a datura bloom on the balcony at dawn...this I have to put in the garden soon!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5349835

Sorry you couldn't get the car, Celia.

Pretty much same old, same old.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 31, 2008
87 F / 31 C
Clear
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 85 F / 30 C
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

This is about 5 days' worth of tomatoes from four plants. I have Celebrity and Champion. I'm very limited in what varieties I can grow since I have root nemetodes.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 31, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5349836

55 Overcast but more sunlight than clouds; hope it wins.
rann~I know this heat wave you're having is going to be talked about all winter long~very nice for a change, isn't it:)? What fun for the girls.
hello all~
The water is not much above freezing as it only a few miles downstream from the glacier, so they don't really swim, just wade till they turn blue/red w/cold.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 31, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5349848

Wrapped in wool blanket for a few minutes and off they go again.
Kelli~beautiful basketful of tomatoes. Bet they're delicious.

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5349910

Oooo... Kelli, I'm drooling!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5349943

Kiska, those are some rugged grandkids that you've got! I think that kids that are allowed to do things like that will turn out healthier than those whose parents fuss about it being too cold and "Put on a coat" and stuff like that.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5349953

Quoting:...just wade till they turn blue/red w/cold.

We would have had a blast doing that when we were little, too. (Not that it ever got nearly that cold in the Midwest in July! LOL) Great photos. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5350446

lovely MG and datura, Adina!
Kelli: what great looking tomatoes! Three puny tomatoes is all we've gotten from our two plants this year. I don't know what it is with me and tomatoes but I just can't seem to grow them. :o((
Kiska: that's an armload of Gkids! Yep, they are tough, all right--turning blue and all! LOL

Well, hooray, we finally did get a thunder shower this afternoon and it lasted about 45 minutes. What a relief--I didn't have to water the flowers and yard after all! My apologies to the weather guys! :o))

Currently 81 and sunny again.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5350494

Adina,
Be sure you save some of those Datura seeds. I have to plant new ones every Spring.
We had a s l o w drizzle here this morning and only two tenths of an inch.
Kelli love your Mater picture.
Yes Marsue I have Rain-Bird.
It was on the top of my to do list after I paid off my mortgage.
Wonderfully cool and lightly breezy.
Sidney
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5350564

Our Datura self seed WAY too much!
We have hundreds!
They are just now starting to bloom.

Well I'm uploading Pond 28.
I'll resend the Collection Page here in a bit.

90 Degrees here and muggy but there is a bit of a breeze just starting.
So far the nights have been cooler than usual.
Low mid 60's... good for sleeping...not so good for the Tomatos and their ripening.
The AC is still in the Box...

Rann I LOVED the Heat Wave shots!
Hard to imagine 78 as a Summer high.
We've had Lows that high! LOL!
Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5350667

Kelli - those are some nice looking tomatoes! So big :-) It must be fun to be able to grow your own :-)

Kiska - looks like a great time at the river :-) It seems we get wimpier with age doesn't it; it's amazing what kids can tolerate when they're having fun ;-) lol

Ric - I enjoyed the pond tour, some really nice looking ponds, streams and waterfalls. I wish I could do something like that. I can't figure out how you make them look so natural... :-)

Marylyn - 76F is too hot for me to work inside the house ;-) I'm used to 68F.

Sharon - thanks :-)

Celia - sorry you didn't get the car. It's a beauty. I'm sure there's a better one out there somewhere ;-)

The strawberries are ripe; we celebrated the first crop last week, with whipped cream and meringue to go with the berries :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5350684

My monitor is going bad so I will be off and on til I get a new one.

Really dense fog this morning, temps at the time in the low 70s. Fog burned away around 9-9:30 am and it warmed up to close to 80 today. Was kinda humid but not as bad as it was supposed to be.

This weekend will be in the high 90s possibly even hit a 100.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5350703

The strawberries look good! 68F in the house and I would freeze. I don't have a whole lot going in the metabolism department. I heard one time that that can happen if you are kept too bundled up as a baby. I don't know if that is true, but I can imagine that I would have been kept very bundled up as a baby.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5350766

Thanks Ric - 79F isn't just this summer's high here in Reykjavik - it's an all time high! :-) They called it a heat bomb in today's newspaper. A bit further inland (Thingvellir National Park) another heat record was set at 85F. It's just not supposed to be able to get this hot here ... I never imagined it could. I thought 72F was the limit of a good heat wave ...

Kelli - it's all relative I guess. After yesterday's heat, 65F felt kind of cool today ;-) It's currently (1 am) 55F.

Sunflower with Delphinium in the background.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5350834

Here's the WHOOPER Pond!

http://flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606474229588/

Rann the guy who designs and builds these ponds is a wizard.
He's part of a national company.
There are franchises all over the country.
They don't come cheap...
The ponds here are 10-150 Thousand dollars US...

Two ponds I have yet to post are Owner Built.
They come FAR cheaper.
We're starting to design one for our neighbor.
Probably under a Thousand all included...

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5350891

66F and feels like in the 70's. We keep the heat off indoors for the summer and it's mostly been in the 50's; just add a layer and keep the lap blankets near every chair...
rann~the berries look so good and what a gorgeous dessert. I know, the kids seem to take cool weather much better than I do.
pepper~hope to see you back soon.
kelli~interesting thought; wonder if there's something to it.
ric~looking forward to seeing the ponds;
marsue~glad you had some rain to help with the gardening.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5351079

Here's the first 9 Ponds.

http://flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157606405344822/

I still have 3 more to edit and upload.
Pond 23 is Moonlit's...
Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
2:07 AM

Post #5351208

We had a rainstorm in July and got 1-1/2 inches of rain. Most of it ran off over the hard ground but some sunk in.

We are in the August heat again this weekend and may get a scattered thunderstorm Saturday night or next Wednesday. Seems the storms are going around us. Most of the annuals are dead. The daylilies have fared better but buds full of seeds that I painstakingly hand pollinated are shriveling and dropping off. I have a soaker hose around the tomato plants and they are starting to give a few. Temps have been in the 90's with high humidity. I can work outside from 5:45AM till 10:30AM then have to stay inside in the AC during the afternoon. Bummer! as I have work to do outside.

Stay safe, all,
Claire
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5351316

I'm so sorry, Claire. :-(

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5351535

When I was a kid in SoCal, I thought 60 was the coldest temp ever! I moved to Utah in 1971 at the age of 11 and have since acclimated. Now, 60 is enough to take off the coat and sweater and put on the shorts! LOL

Rann, records are being set all over the world. And some refuse to admit Global Warming exists. I'd like a slice of that pie, please! LOL

Too bad about the monitor, Pepper. I hope you get a new one soon. It's always good to see you here and elsewhere.

I went to my Dr. this morning for sore back and she tells me I've torn a muscle. She wrote me a note for work and I will be off work again tomorrow. I missed yesterday and today.

I've decided this tree is part spider.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5351579

Me, too, Claire (I never knew your name till just now). I have to do any gardening work very early in the a.m., also. Can't stay outside past 9:30 a.m.--too hot and humid. Good to see you posting again.
Pepper, hope you get your computer problems ironed out soon!
Rann: mmmm, strawberries! Our strawberry season was over 2 months ago. There are several strawberry farms around here so we are able to get an abundant supply of fresh strawberries in season. The delphinium and sunflower are a really nice contrast together.
Kiska: "keep the heat off indoors for the summer"!!!!! ROTFLOL
Ric: loving the pond tours!

Still 81 at 9:53 p.m. and Dyson dark.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5351587

We cross-posted, Celia. So sorry about your back. Take care of yourself! That tree looks more like an octopus!! LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
7:51 AM

Post #5352382

Way dark, 71, rained yesterday (not much but all helps).
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5352559

Good Morning. We had to take Gary to the hospital last evening at 7pm. His temp got up to 101* with the chills. The doctors finally got him stabilized around 11pm. I just got home - must go to work all I want to do is sleep.

Celia- Im sorry the car didnt work outthere is another one out there that will. Its a beauty though. No wonder he wanted it!
Marylyn Ill let you know when he gets all the cars running on the HHO.
Adina Oooh, custard yummm! LOL! Your blooms are so pretty! How big are the MG blooms? They look huge!
Kelli Oh my, your tomatoes are awesome! I can taste one from here! LOL!
Kiska I remember my Mom letting us play in the water until we were blue and shivering. Our response was Were not cold!
Marylyn Yes, Freeport and Galveston beaches water gets that cold in the Fall and Spring. : )
Rann LOL! I am a heat wave wimp now! LOL! I could dive into that strawberry dessert and just roll around in it! Yuuuummmmm!
Pepper I have a bad feeling my hard drive is the next to go. Im dreading it.
Rann Your blooms are beautiful.
Ric Looking forward to seeing more ponds. Theyre wonderful!
Se_eds Im so sorry that you are loosing the seeds. How frustrating.
Celia Whatever the tree is its beautiful! I hope your back heals quickly. Sounds very painful.

75.7 F / 24.3 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Showers and thunderstorms likely in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible in the afternoon. High 90. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Callie

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5352855

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 72F outside. Very light breeze. Feels wonderful - at least while I'm not moving ;-) lol

Sharon - sorry about Gary. Hope he'll be able to come home soon. Callie looks like she doesn't like her photo taken ;-) lol

Claire - so sorry about your daylily seeds. That must be so frutstrating.

Celia - the octopus/spider tree is very pretty :-) lol

Ric - looking forward to more pond photos - they're all wonderful.

Here's a photo from our island trip to Flatey that I hadn't posted - leaving the island behind:

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5352989

Quoting:Marylyn Yes, Freeport and Galveston beaches water gets that cold in the Fall and Spring. : )

That's true.. We've gone to Galveston in December when my parents are in town. The big bunny LOVES playing in the water, no matter how cold it is. Sometimes we're dressed in our regular clothes with jackets and our jeans rolled up, but she's always all wet and having a great time - with many breaks in the towels to warm back up. :-) The little bunny likes water better when it isn't moving, although now that she is taller than most of the shore waves now, she likes it better. Still... it isn't as cold as water coming from a melting glacier! LOL

I'm praying for Gary!

It's going to be hot and icky again today. I have a doctor's appointment this morning, and then the bunnies and I are going to meet Daddy for lunch. We try to do that every Friday. Sometimes we pack a lunch and go to a park, but I'm thinking this is going to be a eat-indoors-in-a-nice-air-conditioned-restaurant day.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (4 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SE 140
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Heat Index 85 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C

Today Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Heat index readings 108 to 109 in the afternoon.

The little bunny warming up (and eating peanut butter crackers) after playing in the water in Galveston in March, 2007.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5353008

Morning All;
Here's a brand new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884808/
Come on over!
;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America