Photo by Melody

Article: Caladium hybridizing - Making your own unique plant creation: breeding caladiums

Communities > Forums > Article: Caladium hybridizing - Making your own unique plant creation
bookmark
Forum: Article: Caladium hybridizing - Making your own unique plant creationReplies: 1, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bajancaladium
bridgetown
Barbados

July 25, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5318829

hi there, i from the island of Barbados in the caribbean. Caladiums are my favorite plants, at this point i have 14 varieties some commerical and other what you would call local. I would really love to cross pollenate them for the thrill of it, i see its a slow process but thats not goin to be a problem. the problem is that my caladiums hardly ever flower at the same time to cross them...can caladiums be self-pollenated?
I hope you can reply back to this cause i would really love to learn more about cross pollenating: such and timing from conception-fruiting - ripping and the time period it takes for seeds to germinate.

Thank you for seemly be the only person to take the time out to type up an article on crossing caladiums LariAnn
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2008
8:48 PM

Post #5319143

Thanks for writing! I'm not sure if they can be self-pollinated but I expect it would be unlikely to happen naturally. At least, I've never seen berry set unless I did the pollinating. Since the pollen is moist, I do not think you could save it for long.

Do all your caladiums go dormant or do they stay up all year? If they do stay up, perhaps you can dry them out and cause them to go dormant so in the spring they will all start growing at once. Here all of the caladiums come up at the same time so they end up all blooming within the same time period.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Caladium hybridizing - Making your own unique plant creation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OH WOW! joycet 0 Mar 19, 2008 5:31 PM
Excellent! doccat5 0 Mar 19, 2008 6:55 PM
great article phicks 0 Mar 19, 2008 8:36 PM
Caladium ghislain 0 Mar 27, 2008 11:46 PM
I Have Cross Pollinate bajancaladium 36 Jun 18, 2009 3:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America