Photo by Melody

Trash to Treasure: Ideas for glass Starbucks Frappuccino bottles?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 16, Views: 254
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5322554

You guys are creative! Help me out here...

Recently became addicted to the bottled Starbucks frapps and can't bring myself to throw out those cute little bottles. Anyone have any ideas for some kind of garden decoration/use? Tried inserting a metal encased tea light, but they won't fit through the neck (although they will fit securely in the top). All I can come up with is maybe wire/beaded hanging plant rooters...

Anyone?
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5322818

I like the idea of lining a garden path with them upside down. They look prettier with colored bottles though. You could also bury them so just the bottoms stick out like tile & make stepping stones.
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5327987

What about a chandelier (sp)
Cut a piece of plywood or something
like that,,, round or square
Glue bottom of bottles on board
Cut a hole in center to run electric too
or use a cup hook to hold some kind of candleholder
in the center, turn upside down

Set them around a candle, wrap wire around then
to hold them together for a centerpiece
Just a couple of thoughts that I had

Pauletta
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2008
9:02 PM

Post #5333860

I just bought some to do a project with my ladies for craft night. Spray paint the bottle with regular paint or, textured or stained glass. Whap wire around the top,making a squiggly handle, leaving extra at the sides. Twist it into sprials and put beads and stuff on it, You can make a wire "bow" with beads on the ends for decoration. You can also do the whole process with raffia. Now you have a hanging vase for the door or a window.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5336138

I took a 4 pack-took the tags off, painted the pkg black and white. Filled the bottles with black and white M and Ms . This was a one time only special order. I had save the white ones from the Valentines bags-but the blacks were special and pricey..but worth it to send a Holstein "milk jugs" to my favorite niece (is a farmer).

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2008
4:20 AM

Post #5336445

Fill them with special bath salts and reseal them with foil and wax? Add vinegar and herbs, cork them? Etch them with acid and use them for flower vases?
terichris
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2008
11:51 AM

Post #5337101

I love the herbed vinegar idea! What a nice gift. Another thread we were talking about scented room diffusers. Those bottles would be about the right size. I don't know where you would find the reeds but Michaels must have them with the essential oils. Actually I bet you could even use the cheap chopsticks that come with carry-out. they are very soft wood.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5338003

Bry cattail stems are perfect reeds. They are a bit big, but you only need a few. I have even just cut them off at angles, dripped some scented oil into them and put them in dried arangements.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 29, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5338072

marcia that is such a cute idea with the 6 pack of milk bottles! i know that your idea is just perfect for the farmer neice but it also seems like a cute idea that you can change up--those bottles are a nice, cute and not too big container for different candies --you mentioned the black and white m&m candy but you could fill them with red candies for valentines, green jelly bellies for st pat's, green and red kisses for christmas, red and white and blue candies for 4th of july etc--or brides colors for bridal shower (party favors), teacher gifts with candy used in the school colors, pink or blue candy for baby shower table decorations-you get the idea--
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5338086

I saw in a magazine not long ago where somebody used those "icicle" Christmas lights and lined their path with bottles, poked an "icicle" of lights into each bottle, and then they had a nice lighting for their path You can bury the wire between the bottles because it doesn't have lights on it, and you can then mix the bottles too if you want, like some blue glass water or wine bottles, and even change the colours of the light bulbs. I thought it was a cute idea.
Claire
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5339792

Ya'll are the best! Now I have several ways to go - and the way I'm swilling 'em down, I'm sure to have a lifetime supply of bottles, LOL.

Thanks!
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5341246

Yup..I like the Fraps myself. For the M and M, if you can get a color that you want in an mix and sort it out--cheaper by far. I think that the black ones were $10/# plus postage. Cannot trust memory. I did recently check the $$ for their special ones with messages (a couple of letters etc) for my sis's 40th anniverary...as the price would be rather a bit more than the years they have been together...I sent a card.
I like the idea though of other candy, (idea once used fell out of my head). Would make for fun Xmas 4pack with JellyBelly. M-M or those little hard pillow candies from "old time" candy counter.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5341259

$40???? errrrrrrr... glad you opted for CARD instead!!!
VickieP
Rutherfordton, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5342881

Unoriginal but brings compliments: I've used these bottles for several years in my windows as rooting jars. Sometimes I put colored glass, rhinestones or old marbles in bottoms, sometimes put a small transfer on the side, sometimes leave clear. I always have fresh plants to share-basil, tropicals from indoors, just about anything that I think will root. I've lost count of how many I've shared because there's always a gift when people ask about them. A bonus was selling them at a charity bazaar at the request of a friend. I like all of these ideas too!
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 30, 2008
1:59 PM

Post #5343239

red hots would look good in them too--still thinking of the candy idea-
coco mix
flavored ice tea mix
and since they are little capachino bottles how about a capachino mix? that would work well too i think

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5345316

Capachino mix... now that is a clever idea!
rogue_designer
Chicago, IL

July 30, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #5345325

cut off the bottoms (carefully) - thread sockets and lamp wire through the mouths, and use them as hanging pendant lights. Might look quite spiffing bundled into a loose chandelier (gather the wires a couple inches up to keep them in a bundle).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America