Photo by Melody

Cooking: TurboCooker - does anyone know about them?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 34, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5324625

I am about to purchase a Turbocooker that looks as tho it has never been used. It didn't come in a box at all but does have 2 sheets of paper in it saying what it is and giving the website address, phone numbers, etc. I remember seeing them advertised on TV & thinking I would like to have one so I went to the website. So I know what the new price is for one.

Does anyone have any experience with one or know someone who does? I'm eager to hear about them. I am sure it is just what I want/need to help me cook healthy food without using 2 or 3 appliances. I cook with gas and the TurboCooker will work with that.

Any advice either way will be appreciated.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
8:55 AM

Post #5326057

turbo cooker is similar to a convection oven. i have turbo cooker, i bought in the Philippines several yrs ago. i love using the turbo cooker; any meat cook in it is almost grease free, the skin of chicken or pork is always crunchy. i have two turbo cooker; one i use in a deep stock pot as the cooking vessel, i never bought the glass container u normally see being advertised. i roast a chicken or a turkey in the deep stock pot. the other one i have. i had to buy a special big low container, exclusively use to cook fish in. the low big container is like a two huge oversize basin, with one basin, having an opening at the top. the opening is just right to fit the turbo head [the cooker in itself]. the lower basin is where the object being cook is place for cooking. i have this cooker in the store room, i will get it out one of these days, so i can take a photo for u to see.

i love using my turbo cooker cuz i find it the food i cook in there are almost grease or fat free. it does not consume a lot of energy, since the cooking is focus on the object being cook, and not on empty spaces in the cooking vessel. i am sure u will enjoy it too. hope this help.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5328321

Thank you so much for the good report. I was certain when I first saw it I knew what it was. This one has no instructions so I'll have to buy the video or see if I can borrow one from someone local. I'll advertise on the local radio station. EBay has one right now for $10 last time I looked.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5328638

u don't need any instruction to use it. all u do is plug it in. just be sure the current running on the turbo is 110. use it like u are baking/roasting on the oven but on less time or temp. i.e. when i roast a chicken, i set turbo temp to 400 for 15 mins., lower temp to 325 for another 25 mins. or until i see juice exuding is clear.

when i pick up my turbo from the storage place, i will also get the instruction and scan it for u when/if i find it. i know i have it somewhere, including extra filters i bought way back then.

btw, similar to convection oven, it does not heat the kitchen, one feature i love the most. i can use the turbo any time of the year. i had mine for nearly 45 yrs. w/out any problem, they are my work horse in the kitchen. i prefer to use it over my Viking convection oven ... easy clean up for smaller space.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5328662

MaMieRose, this one isn't electric. It just sits on a burner on the stove. I've looked it over well as well as the ones online and on ebay and there is one that is electric and one that is not electric. I'm getting the one that isn't. But I don't see that there can be much to be put into an instruction manuel. Tho there is a video on ebay to learn to use it. Probably a taping of the infommercial from TV. lol
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5328672

I have two turbo cookers and I do use them on occasion; not that much but they DO come in handy. They do everything they say they will do.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 27, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5328681

Oh, mine are electric so I can't help you.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5328721

Now I have 2 positive reports so that makes me feel good. Thanks for the imput. I'm looking forward to getting it home and using it.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5328930

mine are both electric too. i do not anything about the turbo u saw on ebay. 1st time for me to hear about this one. the turbo i know was based on Japanese technology, mass produced in the Philippines. sorry, i am only familiar with electric turbo.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5329730

I can't see that the source of power/heat will make any difference. Unless I leave it on the burner too long, of course. lol. But you can do that with the electric one too. The one I'm getting has a timer on it that I can take off and carry with me if I want too. I doubt I will because I have other timers I can take to the other room or outside with me.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2008
5:49 AM

Post #5330752

Snap a pic of it for us to see when you have time.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5331232

TLC, I don't know how to use the digital camera/computer and have no one to teach me. It looks just like the one on the home website tho. If you go to http://www. Turbo Cooker. com it will come up that there is no such site. However down several lines on the page it will like places you can click on & there it is listed. Click on that and it will take you to the site. I think the top 3 on the page are the nonelectric ones. I don't want to be dependent on electricity for everything. Prefer a gas range in the kitchen.
allysgram
Sedalia, MO

July 28, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5331705

I have heard of them, was tempted to order one once never did. I think it will serve you well.

This is what they look like

Thumbnail by allysgram
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 28, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5332753

Thanks for the pic; it's quite different from the electric ones I have. So guess you'll have to tell us how you like it.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5332815

this is how mine look like http://www.imarflex.com/products.php?category_id=31&parent_id=1&prim_key=168&w_user_action=view_detail except i use the head [top red part on a bigger, deeper stock pot... depending on what i cook.

i prefer using stock pot over glass container often seen on sale elsewhere or on tv.

Thumbnail by MaVieRose

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5334537

I used it tonight to cook my supper and was well pleased. I had a Yukon Gold potato cut in half, some raw baby carrots, unskinned garlic cloves, and a frozen previously cooked brautwurst in it. As advertised, there was no mingleing of flavors, the potato had the texture and taste of a baked one, the baby carrots were tender and bright orange, the bratwurst was heated thru nicely but wasn't too hot, & the garlic was nice and soft. In a nutshell, at this point I am very satisfied. Oh yes, I had about a cup of water in the very bottom of the pan and used the fine mesh "tray" because of the garlic and baby carrots. I did the cooking in about 20 min or so and may have been about to cut that time off by 5 min. or so. I used no containers for the individual foods. Most if not all of the water is still in the bottom pan. I have no idea how to turn on the pressure part of it. I don't know the timer would do when it ran out of time.

If those of you who have them would give me some time frames for common foods to cook I would appreciate it. Also how to turn the pressure switch on. All you can do is tip a rocker switch so I can just practice. The lid comes off easily either way as near as I can tell.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5335044

Ok . . . so it is a pressure cooker of sorts?
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5335573

One of the websites talks about a small amount of pressure if you close the vent. I don't think there is more than a couple or three pounds of pressure at the most. Mostly it is a steam cooker. And I really like being able to cook an entire meal in one pan. No microwave, counter top oven, 2 pans, etc. I know there will be some foods that I can't cook in it because of the food needing to absorb the water. Like pasta and rice. And I doubt you can really fry foods in it like it sort of hints at in the ads. It must be a LOT different from your electric ones.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 29, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5337250

Mine is similar to this picture; it is a type of convection cooking; there is a fan in it that distributes the heat evenly and speeds up the cooking time.

There is even a "wash" on it; you fill to a marked line with hot water and dish soap and it washes it'self. Does a pretty good job too.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
2:00 PM

Post #5337678

It is much closer to the NuWave cooker from the looks of it. I don't want to be tied to electricity.
christmascactus

August 16, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5423551

Does this come in different brands?
Do regular stores carry them? walmart?
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5425736

I've never see on at WM. I went to a website and I think maybe Target carries them. Look online. That is where I found all the info on mine. It came into the thrift store and I grabbed it. I had seen it advertised on TV some time ago.
christmascactus

August 17, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5425800

Thanks leaf.
You did good finding one at the thrift shop,that don't happen often.
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5426093

It appears that there are two items that are known as a "Turbo Cooker": one is a stove-top pan with high lid (shown in the first photo above) and the second is a free-standing table-top unit that plugs into an outlet and has a heating element/fan and is more-or-less a portable convection oven.

Here is a site that sells three different models of the table-top turbo cooker (portable convection oven type) that plugs into an outlet:

http://www.naturalsolutions1.com/cookers2A.htm

Mike
tl≥
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 18, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5431756

You are right, Mike. They are two totally different cookers; I don't use mine often but when I do . . . I love it.
christmascactus

August 19, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5435432

I have read where these have hot spots & don't cook even. Have you found this true?
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5435639

Not mine. I have cooked whole meals, baked in it, etc. and have not found any hot spots yet. However I will admit I have used it only about 8 or 10 times since I tend to cook 2 or 3 meals at a time. I also microwave a lot of my foods. So maybe I just haven't had time to learn about it. But I can see where hot spots could be used to your advantage if you can figure out just where they are. Put food that takes the longest or needs the highest heat over those spots. Hope this helps. By the way, I have the kind that sits on top of a burner and is just a large pan.
christmascactus

August 19, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5435803

leaf, I think they were talking about the table model that plugs in.
Sorry,I should have said.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 19, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5436512

my table model does not have hot spots; that is the purpose of the fan (convection); it keeps the air moving and it can't develop a hot spot.

One recipe that came with the oven is bacon and sausage on the bottom, a square of hash browns, eggs in the shell (it hard cooks them) and the cinnamon rolls that come in the tube. Everything cooks correctly and the flavors don't intermingle.
christmascactus

August 20, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5441392

Arlene,where did you get your's?
Those recipes sounds so good.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5442926

I ordered it many years ago off a TV promo so I don't know where it came from. The a friend of mine was helping her sister with a garage sale-her sister had bought it and never used it - so I picked that one up too for little or nothing. The recipe book came with the cooker.

The only recipe I used out of it was the breakfast one . . we did it several times for fun. I just use my crockpot recipes with it and change the timing.
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

August 27, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5472002

My table model came with a 10 inch blade. The Turbo Shaft spins it at high rpm in order to slice completely through hard cuts of meat. The defrost cycle means you can go out in the yard and walk around. Hooray!
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5476153

Smallplot, this one is a steamer with a high domed lid and 2 levels of cooking. No blades for slicing. Mine is stovetop, everyone else seems to have an electric one. I wouldn't have bought an electric one.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2008
9:34 AM

Post #5477453

my turbo does not have blade either. although it is electric, cooking time much shorter than conventional oven. another plus, it does not heat up the house or perimeter around the cooking area.
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

February 10, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6121393

I'm sorry. I lied. I am such a kidder.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America