Photo by Melody

Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials: Thank you for a great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials
bookmark
Forum: Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your PerennialsReplies: 9, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2008
8:38 PM

Post #5328514

I've been establishing my first perennial beds, and am to the point where some plants are big enough to divide. I knew the basics of how, but wasn't too sure when to do it! Thank you for a very clear, well-illustrated article!

Rudbeckia, heuchera, sedum, yarrow, here I come!

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5330254

Thanks for reading and letting me know I did a good job! I really enjoy dividing my plants.
Rudbeckia, yarrow- should be just like the article. Heuchera- just look for seperate growth nubs with roots attached. Sedum- Very easy! you may cut or break the roots to get pieces off, but they grow very well, and you could even easily root pieces of the stems.
Have fun!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5330273

I couldn't find your original article--any pointers on how to locate it easily? I started browsing through the list of all past articles, and three hours later still hadn't stumbled on it (but I learned a lot from all the articles I couldn't pass up reading!)

I know there has to be an easier way. . .LOL

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5330304

referring to the clearance article? its here
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/971/
or
(sound of my head swelling) click on my username and scroll down to find a list of all my articles. Yes there are lots of good writers here!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
5:40 AM

Post #5330738

Thanks! I've rescued many a sad little plant that way! I figure I don't want to be discarded when I've lost my youthful bloom, either!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2008
10:25 AM

Post #5330987

tee hee- you should be writing articles !
In between your My Corner of the World--I just checked that out. I like the template.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5334261

Geez, haven't added to my blog in ages. I imagine in the winter when I'm going stir crazy, I'll have more time to sit inside and write. Blogging is a new endeavor for me.
I'll have to go add an entry, now that you reminded me. The hardest part is remembering that people may actually *read* what I wrote, so I have to be tactful and not gripe about DH or work, or anything else I could get in hot water for! My next goal for my blog is to add a slideshow of my garden this spring and summer, and add more pictures as we go into fall, so I can see the progression, and figure out what I need to tweak.

I'd love to write articles. . .if I knew enough about anything to write about it! I'm still very much an amateur gardener! LOL I so look forward to the articles, and the humor and talent of the many writers here at DG.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5334843

I do understand not having time to write while the garden's growin' I'll admit the whole blogging worlf is foreign to me, but I can see where I'd get hooked on reading one.
Yes one does have to think before writing LOL...

You can write about being an amateur gardenr!!
My first article was about one specific plant that I have grown for years. (write what you know mentality) Got me the confidence. to continue. Mostly I've written about things I've grown or done, but one can certainly do research and write. My latest article will be like that. I went to TX for vacation, took pics of some flowers and then researched a little.

So --if you get tired of blogging, this would always be a possibility. Meanwhile I think I'll go read some more of yours, until hubby gets home and needs dinner...

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5335097

Tell me about writing articles. Who do you submit them to, and how? Do they read and make editorial suggestions? Does it take a while before they publish them?

I suppose one thing I've really been thinking about a lot lately is how my gardens connect me to my mom, my grandparents, and even further back down the line. I think I'm a little sentimental, because so often I choose plants that remind me of my grandparents and mom. Or I choose plants with the names of family members. ;o)

I'll have to think this through. . .you've got me interested!

Angie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5336353

Anyone interested in writing for Dave should dmail him directly and he'll get you started. There is a template for the writing, and tips for grammar etc, and help from current writers.
I am sure glad I am writing and getting published here! Angie, I'll dmail you to continue the conversation :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: More Plants for Less Money 2: Dividing Your Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
well explained Dutchlady1 10 Jul 28, 2008 9:37 PM
Excellant! pagardener61 3 Jul 27, 2008 1:10 PM
Thanks for the information! orellum 1 Jul 30, 2008 12:25 AM
Good Job! rocky59 1 Aug 2, 2008 2:03 AM
Heuchera ACWinOH 0 Oct 28, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America