Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!: grow your own dessert

Communities > Forums > Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant!Replies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5329406

Here is my recently harvested pineapple. VERY sweet.

Thumbnail by Dutchlady1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

binder40
Brownsville, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7292916

Quick note. My young yard man (originally from Mexico) told me about planting the tops some years ago. I did and it flourished for about 2 years and then when they didnt produce any fruit I pulled them out and trashed them. Guess I didn't wait long enough for fruit to form. I leave in deep South Texas (next to the God awful Wall they just built between the US and Mexico-would you believe, some of our friends live on the South side of the Wall even though their property is in the US-One is 75 years old and lives alone). Anyway, guess I will have to try again with the pineapples and leave they in for a bit longer.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 22, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #7297744

Yes, binder, planting them and forgetting them is probably the best method for growing pineapples in your warm climate. They can survive droughts without too much problem, but if there is no rain for about 10 days to 2 weeks, a quick hose down will be of benefit. And planting them in a rich compost with lots of sand for good drainage will keep them fed without the need for any special fertilizers.

Hoping you have a wonderful pineapple harvest in a few years! I think once the parent plant gets well established and makes a fruit, the suckers and baby plants that will probably pop up seem to come into fruit faster as a result of sharing the root system of the parent plant.

The wall sounds distressing. I'm especially sorry for your friend that got sequestered on the other side.

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garbage Gardening: Grow a Pineapple Fruit Tree Plant! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing pineapples ringbearer31 11 Dec 31, 2010 7:46 AM
Golden gardening opportunities... podster 8 Oct 8, 2007 11:33 PM
Pot size? imapigeon 3 Oct 15, 2007 1:49 AM
Pineapples billowen 0 Oct 8, 2007 8:37 PM
My pineapple pic Islandshari 9 Oct 12, 2007 4:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America