Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants: Majesty Palm rot? Please help!

Communities > Forums > Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplantsReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mysticmisty
Griffin, GA

July 28, 2008
8:05 AM

Post #5330882

While watering my majesty palm... I noticed some of the old cut fronds at the base was lose and wiggly. The oldest outter cuts are lose, the thicker ones are still stiff as a board! What should I do? My majesty palm is doing quit well indoors ! I have new fronds opening and shooting up like crazy! I water it weekly other than the occasional misting. Some of the older leaf tips are split , dry and discolored looking... like they were burned, other than that it is doing good! Someone please tell me whats wrong and what I can do to save it!!!

Thumbnail by mysticmisty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5331869

If fronds are green and healthy looking, leave them on. That is how all leaves eventually get on Majesties (loose) before aging and dying (a normal process) and then can be removed safely. Premature removal will allow rot to start occuring at the base of the leaf attachments.
mysticmisty
Griffin, GA

July 28, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5332726

I added another picture to show what is loose. Should I remove this to keep the rot from spreading to the rest of the plant?? Should I put it outside and try to dry it up? Please help! Thanks!

Thumbnail by mysticmisty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5336482

again, that looks normal to me, though there sure are a lot of palms crammed into a tiny pot, and Majesty palms are hard to keep healthy without a lot of sunlight (direct or indirect) so that could be an issue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Indoor palms: Selecting and caring for these popular houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you threegardeners 7 Dec 30, 2007 4:27 AM
Irish moss in high desert as a ground cover digitalpeggie 1 Dec 30, 2007 5:55 AM
What is this? alwright50 1 Jun 11, 2008 3:40 PM
Sawpalm pest problem sawpalm 1 Sep 9, 2008 5:10 AM
palm trees domcclay104 10 May 6, 2009 2:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America