Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Our Other Plot

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 54, Views: 241
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5334511

We are always spending the weekend at the cabin in the mountains. I don't do any gardening up there. The critters ate all the veggies the first year. Then after the DG roundup we did plant a few things around the cabin, but all have been eaten and now are gone. I had one clematis and brought it home this year. We do however, have lots of vegetation that we don't have to baby. These are just a little showing of the wild ferns going over to the creek, they are so thick I believe you could walk on top of them.

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5334516

This is a few of the pears on the pear tree just next to the cabin by the firepit.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5334526

I just cut some of these cattails to dry for later in the season. Think we'll take the boat over and get more next week.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 29, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5335999

Oh good, at last, a thread for the cabin, now we can come away with you for the weekends!!
The fern area looks so magical with all the trees in the background. Your fairy house would fit in perfectly!
It's no wonder you go there for the weekends, it looks so calm and relaxing. Must be lovely taking the boat with Hubby in the moonlight, so romantic!
Looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful place!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 29, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5336820

Yay, I'm with terri! let us know when you go next and we'll tag along! It looks very peacefull!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5337054

Thanks, photos are deceiving LOL, seems we go up there and work, work, work, but guess it is all in what you like to do. Be prepared it isn't all just sitting around drinking beer and wine!
Last weekend we walked down the entire road cutting stuff back that was growing over the road and hand cutting a few trees in precarious locations. We have lost 2 trees right in front of the cabin since spring 2007 that we had to cut up and one large limb off the water maple that Mike cut up for us a few weeks ago that had been blocking the road.

You will be glad you chose this coming Friday to tag along. Tasha, Mike and Aby are coming so Mike will likely cut the grass and I will spend more time playing with Aby than working!

LOL, moonlight in the boat Terri, by the time the sun goes down, we are too tired to do much more than sit on the porch and listen to music. Must admit we do occasionally take the jeep up to the top of the mountain and watch the sunset, well we did until the other weekend when the headlights went out on the truck and we could barely find our way back! Here is a photo of the 1969 jeep at creek. Now keep in mind that when you come along this weekend one of you can sit shotgun but one of you and I will be riding on the backboard and trust me when I tell you to hang on tight , I am not kidding!

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 7:59 AM

Thumbnail by haighr

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 30, 2008
8:50 AM

Post #5342296

I'm up for a wild ride candee, so terri can ride shotgun. I am soo looking forward to seeing the place! I'll bring a bottle of Lambrusca to drink. I'll definitely find the time, and I'll need it after helping you in the yard.
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5342836

So glad to hear you are up for some hilarious fun. Lambrusco sounds great, better bring a couple if you are staying the entire weekend. I'll bring something as well, will have to check the cabinet at the cafe and get the good stuff.
Just to forewarn you a few weeks ago I was on the back and we were coming up the hill and when Steve made the turn he had to go back a bit to make the turn. Well he did but then only thought he had it in first gear and when he stepped on the gas we were still going back and only had about 2 ft. before going over the edge of the cliff at the creek, he jammed on the brake so hard If I had not been holding on for dear life, I would have flown over the side. This is not for the faint of heart.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5346447

Count me in! Hey Sue, hope you don't snore if we are sharing a room?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

July 31, 2008
8:33 AM

Post #5347413

Crickey Candee! Maybe Steve better ride on the back and I'll drive! It might be safer!
Well Terri, if I drink Lambrusca, I'll probly snore! But if you get pickled too, you wont hear a thing! LOL
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5348078

You don't have to share a room, there is an upstairs loft and whoever can make it up the steep shallow stairs, and doesn't have to make a lot of bathroom runs, is welcome to it! If not, Steve uses those snore strips, sure you can borrow one from him. Sue, the driving is quite tricky, not sure you want to take that on, the seat is fixed and his knees are under his chin and there is not power steering!

Do you see that little stairway going up?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5348102

Although you may want to both stay up there, cause you do have your own little porch on that level and the room is quite large with a queen size bed. The other room available is small and right next to the bathroom, cozy and dark but not spacious.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

July 31, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #5350022

Is it cold at night Candee, will I need my pyjamas? LoL! will Sue need her pink dressing gown?
I can't make my mind up, upstairs or downstairs? mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see what Sue says!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 1, 2008
7:08 AM

Post #5352307

I love being upstairs! I've always wanted to slepp in a loft! Can I fill it with hay? LOL
I've driven many vehicles Candee, most with no powersteering, and some with no brakes! I'm pretty good at that kind of thing.
Hey Terri, cheeky! I always take my hot pink gown! And I'll take my pooh bear pj's too!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 2, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5355965

What time are we leaving?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 4, 2008
10:45 AM

Post #5366026

Hello, Candee, did you go without us?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #5366097

Wow Sue you musta had too much of that booze, did you forget the entire trip already??????
Remember it got a bit chilly on Friday evening just before bed when we were sitting on the porch, but with the fire pit still glowing you warmed up your toes while toasting smores. We all need to work out today after all that good food.
Sorry Steve would not let you drive the jeep, just afraid you might get stranded over the mountain and there is that bear on the roam. You and Terri looked like you were having too much fun riding the four wheeler, glad you took turns doing that as it is hard to steer as well.
Remember Sue when you got to the creek you wer so excited that you stumbled going down to the water and stubbed your big toe on that rock and we heard what sounded like a slight curse?? But then it felt much better when you got in the water, even though the creek was so low.
Still laughing about seeing Terri bait her hook with a worm for the first time, but she did catch that trout and Steve fried it up Sat night along with the french fries, scallops and shrimp!
Then you and Terri headed up to the loft and got in your jammies and I did hear some thumping around, guess there may have been a pillow fight, not for long though till it got quiet and all we heard were the bullfrogs at the pond.
Whew, hope that jogs your memory least until I get some of the photos posted.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 4, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5369068

Wonderful imagination!!

I loved the warm peach pie and haagendas ice cream best! I gave my trout to Sue and she gave me her french fries when you and Steve weren't looking LoL! Hurry up with the photos Candee, you've already had a day of rest!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5369339

Wow, here is one of you and Sue on the ATV after arriving at the creek. Sue with her blanket afraid we might stay late and it might get chilly. She was right wasn't she, it did get chilly and then I couldn't start a fire in the pit over there cause Steve and I forgot to bring matches.

Now did you let Sue drive on the way back. I heard the engine racing and figured you had turned it over to our little Evil Kneevel. Sue didn't take you long to get back, perhaps you smelled the chicken I started? Or was it the pie?

Petty bumpy ride wasn't it? I told you so, just glad you didn't bounce off, was Sue holding onto you or to the rear bumper ?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5369346

Here is the one I took of Sue with the chicken. I think she was sitting there waiting to get the first piece. Little did she know we were all inside eating salad and pie as appetizers. Shush don't tell her now.

Edited to correct my blonde moment! Thought I saw Terri sitting there for a minute.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 7:16 AM

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5369381

And was she ever missing it, I make the best peach pie, dont you agree?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5369479

Didn't ya just love it when Aby and her grandpa caught the sunny. Did you see Sue baiting her hook like a pro, she was sure she was gonna catch a big bass, perhaps the next trip. You kept telling her to use a lure, but she was convinced the worm would do the trick.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5369498

And now I have to laugh out loud as I am looking at the photo of Sue at the creek, you and I were on lounge chairs actually in the water and there she stood in that jacket - I hope she wasn't coming down with something? Guess she is just used to that warmth in Aussie land and not so accoustomed to the mountain air?
Were you really that chilly Sue or were you just playin round with us?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5369509

Oh Terri, I asked you not to take any photos of me! You just don't listen do you?

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5369518

Did you two ever get a chance to see Abygail in the swimming pool, well bucket converted to a swim pool or were you still down there checking the gas and oil in the jeep.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5369560

This is when you were sittin on the porch waiting for Steve to say the word and get the jeep started. We had been telling all those stories of how we came to find the cabin, but you had heard enough and were ready to head for the hills!

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 5, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5369713

HaHaHa! You are clever with the photos Candee. Thanks for a great weekend.
That's Sue with the chicken! (blonde moment)! I was busy eating the salad and enjoying the best peach pie ever!
Aby is so adorable, lovely to see her with her grandma and Grandad, so cute in her swimming pool!
You looked so cool in the water Candee, I just had to take a pic!

Hey Sue, guess we look like the tourists in our coats. LoL!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 5, 2008
8:32 AM

Post #5370645

That was sooo funny! I saved the pics to my computer to show DH my holiday at Candees cabin! You are too clever Candee! Its all coming back to me now. I told you I'm not good when I'm drinking rum! Its all Steves fault, he kept pouring them!
Abygail is a darlin'. I remember my daughter bathing in a bucket!
Hey, I want a turn in that chair. Guess its gonna have to wait till summer, so you can get a pic of me not wearing my coat! LOL
My Mum does this thing called 'headshots' where she cut and pastes her own head onto lots of funny pics and cartoons, and sometimes animations. She puts one on every email, and they are hilarious!
Thanks for the 'trip' Candee. It was alot of fun!
Sue
Psstttt, Terri, you didn't tell candee about me falling out of bed and wrestling with my blanket did you? I was sure I was being quiet!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5370849

So that was you Sue hittin the floor? I was wondering, I was more concerned that you would sit up quick and hit your head on one of those beams coming down from the lofts' center. You know those A-frames can get you sometimes. Blanket, guess you were chilly, once you removed the coat and got in the jammies guess you were still chilled.

So glad you enjoyed the pie. Guess I will never hear the end of the zucchini bread that I forgot to bring. You talk about beating a dead horse, that is all you could talk about Terri, "I can't believe you forgot to bring some homemade zucchini bread" and "wouldn't some zucchini bread go good with breakfast" and "I sure could eat a piece of zucchini bread before bed" and on and on, just bread, bread, bread. LOL Next time okay! Steve was almost tempted to drive home and get a loaf for you.

I have to laugh when I think about it, just can't imagine taking you two up there in the winter, you would likely get frostbite LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5370852

I can almost imagine the two of you walking knee deep in snow to get back to the cabin! It is a good little hike in the snow. Guess if we go up this winter we could get Steve to take us back on the ATV with the trailer attached.

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #5370857

Do you think you could ride in the trailer without falling out LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 6, 2008
8:19 AM

Post #5375638

BBBrrrrrr! Please don't show us any more of those winter pics candee! I'm a fairweather friend ok? Only warm sunny days thank you! I don't operate well in the cold, and get very moody! See?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #5375886

Man, touchy, touchy!!! Thought you might enjoy seeing how the other half lived LOL! Guess the shock is just too much for you. Bet it makes those cool days you were describing seem a bit more tropical now doesn't it? Guess you won't be packing for the winter holiday up there, so maybe we'll have to plan another trip in the fall. How do you do with temps in the 60's and sunshine in October or is that still too much chill?

Sorry, don't look but must post one more as I see I posted wrong when I wanted to show the pic of the road leading back that we must hike just to get to the cabin. Sorry, had a double exposure in those last 2 threads by accident. Just grab a blanket and hide your eyes for a minute.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 8, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5383969

I still can't believe you forgot the Zucchini bread.

Fabulous winter shots!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 8, 2008
7:49 AM

Post #5385040

High 60's might be passable, but I'll still be wearing my coat!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
11:44 AM

Post #5385323

I swear, I think that coat must be sewn on your back Sue???
Terri, would you lay off it, you truly do have a one-track mind sometimes LOL! The bread is in the freezer and I just made 4 more loaves on Wednesday night so there will be plenty for our next trip.

I wish you were coming for the next trip up as it will by then be about 2-3 weeks w/o mowing. This weekend Tasha and Mike and Aby return to pick up Casey (we have been dog sitting). So we are gonna stay home so I can maybe get a photo of Aby in the gardens. Next weekend we are going down to Ocean City as Tash and Mike live down there and Tim, Amy and Eva are coming from Ohio to spend a few days at the beach. Then the next weekend is my surrogate mom's 90th. birthday and I may go to her party, just not sure cause by then the grass will be knee deep and that is almost over my head!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 8, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #5388059

Will there be Zuchini bread in 2-3 weeks time?

Can't wait until we go in winter! looking forward to lighting the fire and having one of those peach pies you've saved in the freezer.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5396567

I have about 8 loaves in the freezer and made 2 more today, there will be plenty. Going to start the peach pies later this week, going to try a new one that has cheesecake and peach pie combined - decadent is the word of the day for that one I bet! Will post the recipe and photo!

Have to laugh cause we always say one thing "nobody will ever starve at the cabin" no matter what else!

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 6:56 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 12, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #5405005

Looking forward to the recipe, sounds good with cheesecake... yummmmmmmmmm
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5406119

Here is the recipe I will use substituting my peach filling for the one in the actual recipe which calls for canned peaches, no way. Will let you know how it turns out and post a photo if I remember to take one.

Elmira Cheesecake Peach Pie

1 pastry for double-crust deep dish pie
2 Tbs butter, cut in small pieces
Peach mixture
May want to cut back as this is my peach pie recipe for 1 single pie
3/4 cups sugar
3 TLBS flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
5 cups fresh peaches
2 TLBS butter
1 tsp lemon juice
Cheesecake mixture
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs peach syrup
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream

1 Fit one shell into pan and flute edge.
2 Roll other shell flat and cut into small strips to make a lattice top.
Peach layer:.
1 Slice peaches
2 Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt - Add to peaches
3 Sprinkle on lemon juice - Pour off excess juice and reserve
4 Pour peach mix into pie shell and dot with butter.
Cheesecake layer:.
1 In small sauce pan over med heat, combine eggs, sugar, lemon juice and peach syrup.
2 Cook, stirring constantly until thick.
3 Blend together cream cheese and sour cream.
4 Add hot mixture and beat until smooth.
5 Pour cheesecake mix over peaches.
6 Cover with strips of crust in lattice (over and under) pattern and brush with peach syrup.
7 Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes.
8 Cover edges with foil, then bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 14, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5671703

photo?????? yummy!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #5673609

Here is the link with photos of the entire procedure in the Recipe forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/890655/
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 22, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5817623

Are we having peach pie tonight? Sue has promised not to get moody this time!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5820301

Not tonight Terri, too close to pumpkin pie and chocolate, chocolate cheesecake time which I'll be baking on Tuesday and Wed next week.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 24, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5824093

Tuesday and wednesday ok

I'm just making a note of that!
flowertips
Haslemere
United Kingdom

June 17, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6701399

Remember the good old days?!!!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

June 17, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #6701778

Great pictures!!!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6703084

Hope all is well your way Terri. Thanks Sally it is a fun place to go, sometimes a lot of work, but will tell you we get the best rocks up there at the creek!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6704853

Yes I remember the good ole days, wanna come up and mow sometime?

Thumbnail by haighr

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 19, 2009
8:53 AM

Post #6709495

lovely cabin...
my damnatian wants to know if he can come play in the snow.
he will pull a sled to earn his keep.
& his Mum says she will warm beds for a living...
I guess I need to come too & supervise the hounds - Copper Roo is a counter surfer par excellence.
The peach pie would need to be guarded at all times.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6720470

LOL the peach pie doesn't stay around long enought to be guarded dalfyre. You pups woul dlove it here and boy would they get their exercise - 100 acres of woods water and mountains.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 22, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6724524

Copper would think it was heaven...
we took the dogs up to Mt Lyford a couple of years ago & they loved being in the mountains.
We had to keep them under strict control when they were running free - after Chita nearly ran off a cliff we decided that was enough excitement & put them back on lead...

Most wilderness areas in NZ are off limits to dogs, they are very strict about dog control.
But we have no large predators so our native birds are mostly helpless against them.
No ticks, snakes, mosquito borne disease, no bears, wolves, cougars...
no wonder tourists think NZ is a safe place to visit & go tramping/hiking.
And then they discover that the killer here is the terrain & the weather.
Or other humans... we have been promoting NZ as clean & green & forget to mention that there is a criminal class here like in any country.
And they see tourists as soft targets for robbery & worse.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6727731

Yikes, sounds like fun starting out but better beware. We don't have a problem with skeeters, but we do have bears and I have heard a mountain lion on a couple occasions and then you have the coyotes that you can never trust.
Now as for you - what about the dingos?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 24, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #6730805

the only dingos here are in the Zoo...
they are native to Australia.
Until humans came to NZ the only land mammals were 2 species of bat.
Humans brought in rats by accident & a heap of pests deliberately.
Introduced rabbits that bred like - well rabbits!
So to control the rabbits they introduced stoats, & weasels...
that looked at our helpless ground nesting, flightless birds & said yum!
Hedgehogs were introduced to remind settlers of home - they eat birds eggs...
And don't get NZ'ers started on possums...
introduced to create a fur industry, fur went out of fashion & they have devastated native bush land - and eat birds eggs & fledglings.
And I won't mention noxious weeds - every country seems to have introduced plants that have become triffids.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6732549

My you have really been invaded!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America