can you ID this ginger?

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

I can't seem to find it in the plant files. It bloomed back in March here in SW FL. The squirrels loved it and ate the flowers.
Fred

Thumbnail by fredrump
Sarasota, FL

Looks like what's known in the horticulture trade as Costus barbatus. The back sides of the leaves are fuzzy and the whole inflorescence elongates to maybe 1 ft long and 3"-4" dia. with yellow 'flowers' looking like rolled up tongues sticking out. www.gingersrus.com would have the proper botanical name. These look like the new ones just forming on the tips. Costus are called the spiral gingers; might make good steps up if you're tom thumb.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

It might be a dwarf version of costus barbatus as my other ones have a much longer florescense like Red Tower. This particular ginger has a small short red flower. Too bad that giherus site doesn't have pictures of the various gingers on their lists.

Fred

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Oh, I found the pictures on the ginger site. It seems to be Costus comosus (in horticulture as C. barbatus). Even though they also have pictures of the same florescense in large and small mode. I guess I'll never really know exactly what my various gingers are. I should have taken better care to record what I bought and planted - all in hindsight.

Fred

Mc Call Creek, MS

I had no idea that Costus Barbatus inflorescences grew to a foot long! Mine stay short.

Are you saying that there are two different C. Barbatus??

I'd sure love to get my hands on one that grows long like that.

Kay

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I don't know how big they will get but here are my 2 blooms that have been growing for 2 months now. They keep growing bigger

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

bloom 2

Thumbnail by DonnaB
Gainesville, FL

it looks like Costus curvibracteatus, red form, to me

Coushatta, LA

Fredrump and Donna you both have beautiful gingers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.