Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Darling Daylilies: Daylilies

Communities > Forums > Article: Darling Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Darling DayliliesReplies: 0, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EstelleMirage
Ste-Victoire
Canada

July 29, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5335784

Daylilies are among my favorites flowers, though I am much less fond of double cultivars because most of the time produce single flowers. Of the 3 doubles I grow (Double River Wye, Siloam Double Classic and You Angel You), only Double River Wye is reliable. I grow about 40 cultivars of all sizes from tiny Cara Mia, Mini Pearl and Baby Talk to tall Fulvas, Ice Carnival and Catherine Woodbury, from almost white Sunday Gloves to purples (David Kirchoff, Little Grapette, purple d'Oro, Summer Wine). I do not grow fancy and pricy new hybrids but common cultivars are numerous enough to please most gardeners. I use some of the most common ones (fulva, Pink Damask, Stella d'Oro and Children's Festival) in slopes to prevent erosion. In 2 or 3 years the slope is well stabilized with bright flowers. And they tolerate transplantation well so I can move them as needed.

Without daylilies, my flower beds would be colorless for parts of the summer.

Here is a bloom of Destined to See planted in mid-shade with heavy hardwood mulch.

Among those I grow in part shade to mid shade, some cultivars seem more prone to slug attacks than other. Is it documented somewhere?

Thumbnail by EstelleMirage
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Darling Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I like daylilies better each year, too. pajaritomt 5 Jul 29, 2008 2:16 PM
Daylilies in Bloom.... Gymgirl 7 Jun 13, 2011 6:46 PM
Nice article DitchLily206 2 Jun 9, 2011 3:51 AM
Larger sizes! daylily_ohio 0 Jun 8, 2011 2:51 PM
Daylilies wolfwolfwolf 0 Jun 13, 2011 6:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America