Stone walls

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We have sooo many stones! As we clear lots for pasture and hay, the stones have been accumulating so we have been building walls. We are currently building one along the driveway. It's about 1/3 of the way done. We use the tractor to slide in the base stone and the for the second layer we load the stone into the bucket and slide in onto the base stone.
Here's pic I took yesterday when I was going home on the tractor.

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I've been going around the hay lot and popping out the stones with the backhoe. This one is too big for our 34 horse Kubota to pull out; so after I get it cleaned out around it, we will drill and split it. It's amazing, just a tip of the stone was sticking out! you never know what's underground!

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Our neighbor has a 90 horse backhoe that he brought over to pull these bad boys out of the ground! The wall goes fast with these size stones!

Sue ☺

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

That wall is so cool. I love stone walls.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Love your stone wall. Everything here is stone also! We go on stone hunts and check out the old rock piles! It's lots of fun! When we pick rock I also pick out the ones I want to keep.

Thumbnail by ves522
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I love stones! Good thing! Whenever an interesting looking one pops up I place it to one side and make sure it's placed where people can check it out.

Ves522, I love your walls! It makes the whole place look cozy. Are those stone steps? My dad bought a place back in the early 40's and the original house had been taken apart and moved to NY state! They left behind one of the stones for the fireplace and we are now using it in front of our gateway. The size of the stone makes me wish I could have seen the house; it must have been beautiful.

Thumbnail by saanansandy
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Sue I have to different sets of steps. The one on the right DH put in for me. I tried and couldn't do it. They are blocks we got when they tore down a store in town.

Thumbnail by ves522
Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Here are the stone steps I put in with the rock I had at the time. Not gorgeous but they work for me.

Thumbnail by ves522
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

I think they are both beautiful! I love the rustic style.
It takes so much time it keeps us out of trouble!!
Sue ☺

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

I've got some other ideas brewing in my head. That spells trouble!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

heehee!
My DH is always saying,"What now!?" lol!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

The rustic works at my house as we even have the stone foundation.

Thumbnail by ves522
Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

The orginal farm house also had a stone foundation. we saved the stone to use for projects around the farm.
I love putting little stone projects around the place! I love what you did for the flowerbed border.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

There is always a use for stone! LOL

Thumbnail by ves522
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow ya'll, those are all beautiful! I love that look you have there ves522 in that last picture- is that liatris? We have really big boulders all around, but can't figure out yet how to move them. They may stay where they are and we'll 'work' around their locations...hahaha!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Hineni those are liatris. Not as pretty this year so I might move themsomewhere else. I am thinking of moving in more rocks over there and adding more hens and chicks. Hope you find a neighbor that can help move the stones as they are great fun to work with, But a bit on the heavy side!

Here's the same area last year. That's a hot spot and takes lots of water. We might not be a drought area but I think I need to watch some of my water usage. This year on the left I am growing cukes and they are doing very well. (Which you can't see.)Those I can hand water if needed.

Ooops! didn't realize I was posting the picture again.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 8:10 AM

Thumbnail by ves522
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's ok, it was worth seeing again.

Your rock projects are all so pretty. I have lots of rocks and want to build a rock planter. Maybe this year?

Sandy, I think we have the same size/brand of tractor. We have a front end loader on ours but no backhoe. I've carried a lot of rocks and a whole lot of other things in that bucket, and we even plow snow with it.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Mary rocks would work really good with the beds you have. Even if just as some accent pieces. But a bed or 2 mixed in would be nice also. More then nice.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Oh Sue and ves522 those are wonderful stones works you got their !!
So puuuurrrdy
Sue oh my a Kubota . My Dh would be jealous LOL . He wants one so bad he can taste it LOL
I can't wait to find stones !!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images