-
AuthorContent
jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5339761

Just wondered if anyone is growing winter hardy cacti - Zone 6...I have a couple opuntia, agave, trunked yucca and hesperaloe (not a cacti, but desert type plants )

this is a red hesperalo flower stalk - also have a yellow one, but it is a young plant and has not bloomed yet

Thumbnail by jrwbirds
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

July 30, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5340811

Hey there, just an opuntia and an ice plant. I'm always on the lookout for something I won't have to stuff inside over the winter. There doesn't seem to be much that can take Ohio Valley winters. But thankfully I haven't looked everywhere yet.
jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5341410

there are several cacti type of plants that survive - the secret is good location and EXCELLENT drainage - there is a wonderful book by John Spain - "Growing Winter Hardy Cacti in Cold/Wet Conditions" that has a lot of good info in it - Amazon.com has it, however, I got my from a guy on EBAY - my info is downstairs - if you would want that contact, let me know...where in LSVL are you? I am due West on I-64
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

July 30, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #5342534

Wonderful jrwbirds. Thanks. See, if we don't look everywhere, then there are always surprises. lol
I checked around for that book and Amazon seems to be the only one that has it. If your contact is cheaper, then yes, I'd love the info.

I'm in Crescent Hill. Seems like I've heard of Elberfeld. What's it near? You are in the same zone as me, so trading growing info should be a breeze. Not much adjusting.
Thanks again for the book tip. :0)

jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5343654

plantgeek - Elberfeld is near nothing and we love it !!! The fellow I got my book from is on EBAY - his ID is bearfootcactus and he has this book listed now - also, this same fellow sells cacti cuttings and agave pups that are from the mtns of Idaho and other high elevation sources, so they are cold tolerant - the trick is to keep the moisture in check...I had gotten several cuttings from him last year and kept them in the greenhouse over the winter - then we had such a wet spring - will get them out real soon. His prices are very reasonable, his plants are fine and he is generous with his cuttings - would highly recommend him as a source - and he is a wealth of information - we have had many email exchanges -
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

July 30, 2008
7:21 PM

Post #5344693

Coolbeans. I'll give him a look. This sounds like it's gonna be fun. Mercy buckets.
So, how do you keep the moisture in check with things in the ground?

Being near nothing certainly can be a wonderful thing. We've often wished...And I could avoid the temptation to dig up the neighbors unused lot and have at it. lol
Thanks again for eveything. My superior psychic senses tell me that this weeks' pay check is going to be given to a bear with a cactus on its foot.
Keep us updated with your cacticuli endeavors.

bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5346155

jrwbirds, you may want to check out this recent thread about cold hardy cacti & succulents: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/862322/
Down this thread there are lists of many cold-hardy plants and internet sources.
jrwbirds
Elberfeld, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5346384

bagel_k thank you for the link - had not found it when looking earlier - there is a lot of good info there !!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

July 31, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5346660

Ooooooooh, I'm gonna have to sell a kidney! So many plants, so few organs.
Thanks for the post bagel_k. :0) I had no idea there was such variety.
Jrwbirds, a copy of the book is on the way. Thanks again for that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America