Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Deadheading bee balm?

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

If I deadhead my bee balm, will it bloom again? (If not, I won't deadhead it because I want to save the seeds.)

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Generally,if you cut back a few during the main bloom period,other smaller branches may still bloom,but once the flowers are spent they are finished blooming for the season and the whole plant can be cut back.Many cultivars put out so many new plants around the base there is no need to save seed unless you want many,many plants.

Wauseon, OH(Zone 5a)

I agree with that for this is my second year of growing them and they really spared and if they are like that next year I will have to thin them out.

Yes I was not sure if I should cut then down to the ground after they bloomed, but now I am sure that I will be cutting them down to the ground now.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You should see side shoots that haven't bloomed yet. You cut back to there. Then after the side shoots are done you can cut back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.