Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Deadheading bee balm?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RosemaryA
Toronto, ON
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5341700

If I deadhead my bee balm, will it bloom again? (If not, I won't deadhead it because I want to save the seeds.)
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
4:04 AM

Post #5341897

Generally,if you cut back a few during the main bloom period,other smaller branches may still bloom,but once the flowers are spent they are finished blooming for the season and the whole plant can be cut back.Many cultivars put out so many new plants around the base there is no need to save seed unless you want many,many plants.

Lynn
Golden_Eagle
Wauseon, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5355995

I agree with that for this is my second year of growing them and they really spared and if they are like that next year I will have to thin them out.

Yes I was not sure if I should cut then down to the ground after they bloomed, but now I am sure that I will be cutting them down to the ground now.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5356885

You should see side shoots that haven't bloomed yet. You cut back to there. Then after the side shoots are done you can cut back.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America