Photo by Melody

Article: Okay, so you have raspberries, blackberries or other brambles… How do you control them? With a Bramble Trellis!: Great article, Darius, thanks so much!

Communities > Forums > Article: Okay, so you have raspberries, blackberries or other brambles… How do you control them? With a Bramble Trellis!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Okay, so you have raspberries, blackberries or other brambles… How do you control them? With a Bramble Trellis!Replies: 18, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5342109

I'm going to need some of these, thanks so much for taking the time to share your mistakes, and the not mistakes ;) with us!!! It sure will come in handy.

Lana
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5342949

We have raspberries coming out of our ears...so to speak. I keep mine in huge pots. I would have to round-up them if they got loose in the yard.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5343072

Thanks for the timely article darius, building a berry trellis or two is one of our next projects!! I'm going to have to schedule a visit to take a closer look at your set up.

Really good article!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5343464

Thanks. :)

This photo was supposed to have been in the article. not sure how I left it out.

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5343572

Ohhhh. More land, more sun, more energy ... it all looks so delicious, Darius! Thank you for a temptingly wonderful article.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5344200

Great article - it made me believe I can grow raspberries and blackberries without such a fuss! I also now know I would like the ones that you can mow down. I am so glad you added that picture here, because I wanted to see the finished product. Thanks

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5344377

Yep, that photo helped me better understand what you created! Great job!!
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5344379

Other than being able to mow the canes down what are the diffs between the(sorry, can't remember what you called them)one yr cane producers and two year cane producers? Yeild, flavor, fruit size, etc.

Thanks!
Lana

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2008
6:18 PM

Post #5344495

Lana, I haven't had enough of each kind at one time to be able to tell the difference. Maybe now with a trellis, I'll be able to tell next year although I think most of mine are floricanes (fruit on old canes). Frankly it doesn't make any difference to me since I can easily just reach in and clip off any old brown/dead canes with my clippers.

Sorry not to be of more help.
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5344553

No prob, darius. You've already been of great help! :)

Lana
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 31, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5347029

Blackberries fruit on second year canes, raspberries on first year canes. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

We put in steele T posts and attached 5' tall cattle panels to them for a trellis. We set the panels on top of concrete blocks lying on their sides so we can weedeat and weed under the panels. I'm so glad we did that.

A lot of our blackberries have escasped via wandering roots to the grape vine rows. We also have thornless blackberries for the first time this year. They taste so different yet are very good.
girlgroupgirl

August 1, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5351682

Thanks Darius. We are planning on adding cane fruits to our garden and I was wondering how I could get my DH to make (or be interested in making) a trellising system for them that looks good and is functional. You've taken all the guess work out! He'll be able to zip this together!

THANK YOU!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5352647

Thanks Glynis... it really was fun to do. Well, not the post hole digger part... lots of rocks that close to the creek.

You should be able to find western red cedar (if you choose not to use pressure-treated lumber) in Atlanta easily. Not at the big box stores, though. Maybe Randall Bros.? Good Luck!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6169227

Darius, I came to re-read your article from a link on Sally's article. The picture in this posting is really helpful in understanding just how the trellis looks at the end. It looks like a project DH and I could do. Did you use the second trellis? I'll bet you will have enough raspberries for the whole community this year.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6169696

LOL, yes, I have filled up the 2nd trellis, or will when I move the rest of the raspberries from their home near the house. Unfortunately, just after I moved about 25 plants into the second trellis, a big maple tree blew down right on top of everything in the high winds we had a week ago. Most of the plants will be okay, and I will rebuild the trellis when it gets a bit warmer. (The taut wires pulled all the cedar posts out of the ground when the tree hit the wires.)

I probably won't have a good crop this year since 50% of the plants are being moved or just moved recently. But next year... watch out!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #6174912

I'm sorry to hear the wind un-did your hard work. I'll bet you get some real heafty windspeeds at your altitude. We're having more winds this afternoon and tonight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6177753

Thanks, Pam. It seems no one has the same kind of weather they previously had. Of course, my history in this area is barely 3 years, but none of them the same anyway.
Alm711
Zanesville, OH

April 18, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7715641

Hello, Darius! Thanks for these wonderfully detailed instructions. I am very excited about planting my first raspberries. I have two questions for you:

My husband and I spent the afternoon setting the end posts in. I'll wait a few days to make sure the concrete is fully hardened before adding the crossbars. What size lumber did you use for the crossbars? I had a hard time telling from the pictures. I have some scrap 2 x 4s and 1 x 4s but I was afraid the 2 x 4s might be too heavy, and the 1 x 4s might not be strong enough once the wires are tightened. Also, Would I have to use wire clamps at all? Could I just twist the end of the wire onto the eye of the turnbuckle?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7716092

Alm... First let me say I have made some changes since I wrote the article, mainly to the wire itself, and a cross-tension on the posts.

The cross pieces are indeed 2x4's, scrap redwood or cedar, screwed on with 3" galv. deck screws on the outside of the posts. The original vinyl-covered wire kept stretching, and stretching, and stretching... even though the package said it would not. I have replaced it with 3/32" vinyl coated galvanized cable, not cheap, from Lowe's. To keep the canes truly in place, a lot of tension is needed on the wires, hence the clamps, and the turnbuckles to adjust tension.

I also had to apply a pulling pressure on the posts opposite of the tension on the retaining wires for the canes. I did that by driving a metal pipe into the ground about 4 feet outside the posts, and at a 45º angle away from the posts. Installed a section of the wire from the post to the ground peg, again with clamps and a turnbuckle. I sometimes have to re-set them every spring, depending on how much heave from freezing and thawing we had over winter.

This year I plan to add a 4th cross brace, lower to the ground, and move the current lowest one a tad higher. Baby canes escape otherwise!

Hope this helps.
darius
http://www.2footalligator.blogspot.com

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Okay, so you have raspberries, blackberries or other brambles… How do you control them? With a Bramble Trellis! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for this article! Ladyborg 2 Aug 5, 2008 5:03 PM
Wonderful for bramble lovers! morrigan 1 Aug 4, 2008 6:19 PM
How innovative! CompostR 1 Aug 4, 2008 5:03 PM
Transplanting Blackberries? morrissey5la 3 Aug 25, 2008 5:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America