Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars: Honeysuckle for Shade in Zone 9

Communities > Forums > Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivarsReplies: 3, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ceilifinnigan
Soquel, CA

July 30, 2008
9:03 AM

Post #5342304

Hi,

This string is great! I am looking for the most vigorous, tallest growing honeysuckle that is suitable for zone 9 (mild north calif coastal). Neighbor has build a large home with deck right up to the setback and we have lost our privacy and quiet. We have a Hall's Honeysuckle on a different fence and it is doing great. The problem fence is under oaks & shady. I hope to find something that can grow quite high (up to their second story deck that looks down into our hot tub). I was considering ivy but a gardening friend thought a honeysuckle could take the shade (area gets maybe 2-3 hrs of filtered afternoon sun in summer). We need evergreen.

Thanks,
Christy
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7230332

In our side yard there is a vine planted at the east side of thick pine tree. The flower is like a mandevilla but it is white and it is not a mandevilla. I can never remember the name but I'll look it up later and let you know. The foliage isn't all that thick, though, but it is evergreen and it isn't invasive and doesn't harbor rats.

P.S. You should be able to regain your privacy and screen out their lights with plants, but I'm sorry to say that they won't bring back the quiet. A forest might muffle noise, but a row of plants or trees will not. I know. It's a bummer. I know that too. :-(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 1, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7231506

My plant is called pandorea, but according to my book, it isn't a shade plant.

This web site might help you, just note that it wants your Sunset zone, not your USDA zone. http://plantfinder.sunset.com/sunset/plant-home.jsp
nhammerh
Alexandria, VA

November 2, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #7233092

You might consider a star jasmine-Trachelospermum jasminoides. Evergreen, fragrant vine and a fairly dense screen. Does well here in the D.C. area (zone 7)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native American Honeysuckles and their cultivars Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, Glynis McGlory 6 Nov 2, 2009 1:30 PM
A word to the wise... DianeEG 18 Nov 3, 2009 1:19 PM
Fragrant Honeysuckle bambamvz 5 Nov 7, 2009 2:06 AM
Honeysuckle ron_leddy 0 Feb 10, 2010 9:53 PM
again Honeysuckle hckybreath 0 Dec 25, 2010 12:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America