Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Herbs: My Sweet Annie

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 1, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2008
5:37 AM

Post #5347290

I just have to brag a bit- I discovered Sweet Annie (Poa annua Artemisia, I think) several years ago in Louisiana. It grew profusely to about 6'. and when it started to bloom I would cut all the branches, hang them upside down and dry them. I still have some in a vase that are still very aromatic. I would keep some in every room to shake onto the carpet when I ran the vaccuum- it makes the room smell so fresh.!
When I moved to Florida I just could not get it to grow (seeds were the only source I found). When I moved here to WA I ordered seeds and winter sowed them on a windowsill. They are thriving and are beautiful. I will have an abundant harvest this year-several neighbors want to grow it.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5371347

I grew Sweet Annie once and just loved it, you're right about the aroma...it deserves the name!! I've also seen baskets with this woven into them. Although the seeds are gone there is still a faint scent.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America