Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine: Goldenseal

Communities > Forums > Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal MedicineReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patriciahunt
Marysville, CA

July 31, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5349849

My goldenseal plants are doing poorly; though every year for two years, they have put out a few leaves. They are in (yellow) pots the better to care for them. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by patriciahunt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5349879

Were these plants transplanted from the wild, or purchased? Sometimes wild collected things refuse to thrive in captivity.I'm not sure that pots are the way to go, as they heat up and cool down differently than the actual soil. Moisture is also different when growing in containers.

If these were nursery purchased plants, I would ask where I bought them for advice. The brown leaves on the one looks like it is stressed in some way, but not knowing your climate or growing conditions, I hesitate to make suggestions. They certainly do look unhappy though.
patriciahunt
Marysville, CA

October 7, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5644025

Thank you! I got them as plants from Crimson Sage, Orleans, CA; I thought of asking gardeners but not this nursery!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 6, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9377529

Paticiahunt;
Did it live and finally thrive?
Ginseng was such a big deal here in the Cumberlands that some industrous one farmier tried growing it too. Years later his frames with sometype of covering was still there, and he was still trying. His friends reported there there was not much to report on the ginseng, but he was raising a nice crop of copperhead snakes -- Yicks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Herbs of the Arkansas Ozarks: Traditional Herbal Medicine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Loved this article CajuninKy 13 Jan 8, 2008 9:02 PM
Edible, medicinal herbs kaziah 0 Jan 7, 2008 4:22 PM
Sassafras and other plants also native to TN Gingham_farms 2 Aug 9, 2010 6:04 AM
Polk Liquidambar2 12 Aug 11, 2010 7:10 PM
Great for my class! jazzy1okc 1 Aug 10, 2010 5:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America