AuthorContent
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5351291

Hello All.

I thought I would share a couple pics of my first ever P. sprucei flowers. Although a bit on the smaller side, they are very charming and radiant in a dainty sort of way. I'm thinking this vine will produce hundreds of flowers during the summer once it gets a bit older.

According to my reference book, this species is native to western Ecuador and is usually found in lowland rainforests!

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 1, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5351297

One more, just for fun.

Thumbnail by ErickMN

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5355814

Very pretty, Erick. She looks dainty.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5355879

nice
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

August 4, 2008
4:31 AM

Post #5365681

Mine started blooming a couple of weeks ago. Eric, the flowers on yours look a bit darker than mine--where did you get your plant from?

I'm not overly impressed with the flowers, but the vine is very vigorous--about like my Lady Margaret.

Here's a pic.

Mark

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark

ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 5, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5369806

Thank you Shirley. The flowers are indeed very dainty. This one will only be a keeper if it easily overwinters and produces hundreds of blooms during our short summers. We'll see.

Thank you Paul, always nice to get your comments.

Mark, I got my plant as a rooted cutting from a friend last fall. I am a bit underwhelmed by the flowers as well. They are lovely for sure, but not probably worth keeping for those of us who have limited space and have to carefully chose what we grow. We have three more months of growing season left here. It better impress me soon, or it will join the compost pile.

Erick

Great pic, btw

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 9:35 PM
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5371855

LOL comments ? Nice
mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5474567

Hi all,

I wanted to ask those of you who grow this plant: How does the plant -- not the flowers -- compare to other Passiflora (like caerulea, for example) in terms of size & vigor? Since several people commented on how small the flowers are, I was wondering if the plant itself is small, like subpeltata, perhaps.
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 28, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5476697

mikulas,

I find this plant, overall, much more "delicate" - with thin stems and papery leaves - than Passifloras like caerula, 'Incense', 'Lady Margaret', etc. Its growth very much resembles that of P. subpletata and 'St. Rule', but the flowers are larger than both of those. It will be interesting to see if it's more vigorous and floriforous next year when the plant is older.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

August 28, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #5477916

They are very pretty!
ibartoo
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5481158

Erick, I was just going to post for an ID on this Passiflora! I found Sprucei growing with my gourds today, and don't have a clue where it came from. But I'm in love with all those dainty blooms! They are just too beautiful! You are right, the vine itself does appear to be more delicate than the other passion vines in my garden.

Thumbnail by cannagirl

cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5637140

Erick,
I just posted seed for sell on ebay of what I thought was P. Sprucei. Got an email stating that my passiflora was P. Morifolia rather than Sprucei. The ebayer also stated that Sprucei doesn't have smaller blooms but the Morifolia does. Could you help me with this ID please?
Thanks!
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5655493

Hello cannagirl.

My apologies for the delayed response. I've been so busy closing down the gardens for the season that I haven't been online much.

I have never grown P. morifolia, but from pictures I've seen, it does look like that is what yours is. I'm quite certain it's not P. sprucei.

Regards,

Erick
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
4:43 AM

Post #5657673

Erick, that's alright about the delay. I know it must be a job getting all those beautiful plants ready for the winter. The few we have to overwinter here is an all day job getting into the GH. I need to start bringing my plants in soon also.

If you want seeds of the P. Morifolia I have plenty to share. Thanks for the ID help!

Dollie
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

October 25, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5713776

My sprucei has been putting some more blooms--darker than the ones earlier this summer. Maybe it's the cooler weather that makes them darker.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

October 25, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5713783

My nephrodes just put out a couple more flowers too, so I cross pollinated the sprucei and nephrodes. Also pollinated my Anastasia with some nephrodes pollen.

Here's the nephrodes:

Mark

cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
7:12 AM

Post #5717409

Mark, What some beautiful passifloras! Keep us posted on how successful you were in pollinating these passifloras.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

October 29, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5731190

Cannagirl,

It is looking promising so far--more so on the nephrodes x sprucei, but the Anastasia x nephrodes looks good too. Here's the nephrodes x sprucei:

Mark

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

October 29, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5731201

Here's the Anastasia x nephrodes. This was one of two that I bud pollinated, and the ovary on this one is a lot greener and larger than the other one. I hope the cold weather doesn't interfere.

Mark

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 30, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5731344

They Look Good Paul
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

November 4, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5752103

I had 4 nephrodes that were looking good, but they all dropped. Bummer. The sprucei flowers are still on the vine, with some ovary swelling, so they may still make it. Here's one of the nephrodes fruits that dropped.

Mark

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 4, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5752153

Soory Mark
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

November 10, 2008
6:24 AM

Post #5772870

I just noticed my sprucei x nephrodes pollinations appear to have been successful. These little fruits are really good at hiding themselves. I've got 4 or 5 of them. I hope they have enough time to ripen!

Mark

mikulas
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5779035

Exciting, Mark! And how are your Anastasia x nephrodes looking?
~Nicholas
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

November 12, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5781044

Nicholas,

I only have one of those--but its looking good.

Here's a pic:

Mark

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America