-
AuthorContent
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
2:25 AM

Post #5351399

I found this thread on Native plants http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884446/ and thought others might be interested. It says that Jewelweed Impatians capensis is used to treat Poison Ivy.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 1, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5355892

Jewelweed is absolutely wonderful for poison ivy. We make a spray that works wonders for the itch of it.
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2008
7:05 AM

Post #5365830

The thread in Native plants has been quite active.
momherb
Tucson, AZ

August 7, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5383250

Interesting! I'm in NY right now and we have had poison ivy in some places on our hillside. We've managed to get rid of most of it over the years but some remains. We've always had jewel weed growing very near the poison ivy. I never knew it was so useful as a remedy. I once got poison ivy after sliding down a bank to a river in my bikini. You can just imagine the places where I had the poison ivy. Wish I'd known about the jewel weed remedy back then. I'll certainly remember it in the future but I avoid poison ivy at all costs since then!

Momherb
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 8, 2008
11:21 AM

Post #5385260

Momherb! Oh, ouch! I find it interesting that jewelweed grows so close to the plant it remedies. Break open the stems and apply the juice to the poison ivy rash. Do so as quickly as you can after getting the PI rash. Don't burn the poison ivy in an attempt to get rid of the plant. If you breath that smoke in, your lungs can get the rash. Then you are in deep water.

BTW, I enjoyed meeting you!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America