Photo by Melody

Weather: August Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 224, Views: 1,755
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5353002

Ahh, sweet sultry August has arrived.. I turned on the Rain Bird and low and behold instant cloud cover. Sometimes I think I am just letting God know I really do need to water and then He does a good watering.
Please come by here often with your pictures and the weather.
81.1 F / 27.3 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 85 F / 29 C
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5353078

Thanks Sidney :-)

Marylyn - Going to the beach in Texas in March looks like a day at the beach in Iceland in summer ;-) lol

This is a view of the glacier Snfellsjkull on our way back home. It's on the Snfellsnespeninsula, where we took the ferry. On a good day it's visible from Reykjavik. It's the setting for the novel (and movie) Journey to the center of the Earth (which incidentally stars an icelandic actress as the guide).

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2008
1:40 PM

Post #5353149

Sidney: thanks for the new thread. What's that pretty pink flower among the caladiums?
Sharon: sorry to hear about Gary's trip to the hospital--praying for him! You get some rest!
Marylyn: the little bunny has grown in the past year! Crackers are always a good snack. :o))
Rann: lovely photos of your trip home from the island. Interesting note about the
movie.

I'm meeting two other "local" DGers for lunch today in North Little Rock (about 18 miles from my house). It should be a fun time together!

We had a nice shower yesterday afternoon and things were cooler for a while. It was a nice break from the heat. Today we are back to our summer pattern, however: HHH. Heat indexes close to 110.
Everybody have a good day and stay cool! :o))

yarrow--supposed to be pink but mostly white

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5353373

55F; heavy low cloud cover. This summer is one of the coolest in decades; sure do enjoy the occasional good day.
Sugarweed~ thanks for the new thread~the flowers look just beautiful.
MySharona~hoping for a better day for Gary and you, as well. Callie is a sweetheart.
marsue~have a great day with the other DG'rs
Marylyn~sounds like a wonderful idea; both lunch w/dad and indoors.
rann~I love the old classic version of Journey/center of Earth. Thanks for the info/site. I sure like what I've seen of your country; just beautiful.
hi se_eds/Claire~what a shame to have lost so many of your seeds/plants. Hope some will survive the heat.
Celia~get well soon- there's a heating pad that has a moisture pad w/it. It really helps with pain.
Dyson ~my young gson said it was way dark at 2am when he was up for a minute. Summer's long days are winding down.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5353758

Kiska, I have one of thtose and I sat on it all day yesterday! LOL Dr. gave me prescrips for an anti-inflammatory, a muscle relaxer and a painkiller. I'm sorry, I can't take all of those. I took the anti-inflammatory and left it at that. It feels much better today.

Sidney, your flowers are pretty. I know what they all are except the pink edged leaves on the upper right. What's that one?

Everyone has pretty pics and fun things happening.

Rann, those names are a mouthful for we here in the States! LOL I sounded them out but still not sure of pronunciation. Did I mention I Google Earthed your location? I know where you are on a map but it's different when you see it from space.

Callie looked like she was saying, "Come on! Get it over with! I have things to do!"

85F with 98 for later. I can't wait until we get central air installed. This evaporative cooler is annoying to run. Our outside water leaks and that means when we turn on the water for the cooler, it runs all over the patio and wastes LOTS of water. We can't afford that in the desert. We won't be able to get the C/A until next spring.
Feels like: 85F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 43
Humidity: 23%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 11 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:24 AM
Sunset: 8:42 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Buckthorn berries ripening.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5353841

And have fun with the DGers, Mau! LOL
hummerlou
Bedias, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
4:06 PM

Post #5353842

Here is an awesome sight we saw in Central Texas, Leander, last night. Our weatherman said this is "Iridescent Clouds". Whatever they were, they were beautiful.

Thumbnail by hummerlou

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5353852

It looks like the Aurora Borealis! What an incredible sight!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5353911

Wow, hummerlou!!!! That is GORGEOUS!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5353917

Those are polka dot Geraniums and Caladiums. All that little bed is planted in Florida Perennials. The coleus can last into January here with a night or two of bed sheets covering them for protection.
This Copperleaf is about my most favorite plant. It's Olive-drab leaves are circular in shape except they are gathered in the middle and make a ruffle. On top of all of that the leaf edge looks like pink rick-rack. The undersides of the leaf is burgundy Now thats a very engineered plant.
Welcome hummerlou, that's a beautiful sky there. What a treat.
Celia, I was answering your question while you were asking. LOL
I hop this is a good picture.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5353932

It is a good picture. So it's a Copperleaf?
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5353953

Wow hummerlou those are spectacular clouds :-) I've seen them here, but that is a fantastic photo of them :-)

Celia - hope your back feels better real soon! Google earth is pretty cool :-) If you'd been able to pronounce those names I'd been surprised ;-) LOL

Kiska- wonderful photo. It's starting to get dark here too :-( At midnight it's almost completely dark ...

marsue - Have fun at the DG meeting :-) Very pretty yarrow.

Sidney- very pretty plants :-) Love the Copperleaf. So unusual :-)

It's 76F in the shade now ... we had a very light drizzlin of rain earlier, but now the clouds are getting thinner so there's some sunlight filtering through ... I'm trying to work in the garden and it's just too hot ... It feels really nice when I'm not moving though ;-) lol I'm a heat wimp, I admit it. LOL

This is what I've been working on for the past 2 weeks or so. It's slowly progressing since my strength doesn't allow me to work on it for very long at a time. It's turned into a lava excavation project - wasn't expecting to be using a broom so much. lol I'm putting a paved walkway there when I'm done with the excavation.

Rann

This message was edited Aug 1, 2008 4:29 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5353965

That's going to look wonderful, Rann!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5353980

That's going to be very pretty! What sort of paving are you going to put in?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5354662

Kelli, is Manny Ramirez's trade good news or bad?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5355452

My prayers for Gary, too.

Bummer about your a/c, Celia. I don't think I could sleep at night without it.

Cool picture, Hummerlou. I've seen small, pale patches like that, but nothing as big and brilliant as your picture. They're caused by ice crystals.

Marylyn, I think Manny will be a good thing. Goodness knows we could use a real hitter and I don't think the Dodgers have much of any team chemistry that could be disrupted.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 01, 2008
91 F / 33 C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 F / 32 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 10 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I never saw one of these before.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5355453

And today's hiking picture - fog coming in from the ocean.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5355571

These folks (http://familyonbikes.org/) hang out in a homeschool forum I frequent. A year or so ago they took 12 month 9300 bike ride around the US and Mexico, and the dad pedaled a bike like that with their twins behind him. This year they are traveling from Prudhoe, Bay Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina. Well, I say "this year"... it's actually going to take them about 2.5 years. The boys are taking turns riding a regular bike and riding a regular tandem bike behind their dad. It's been fun watching their travels from the photos they post on their website. They're in Canada right now. They started their trip in June.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 1, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5355658

That's pretty neat, and more educational than "real" school. I don't know anything about the people I saw today, but it looks like something that would make it into the newspaper at some point.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2008 4:06 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5356112

Hummerlou, may I use your pic and send it to some friends of mine? They would be very interested.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5356227

Welcome, hummerlou! Beautiful picture!
Kiska, our days are losing minutes, too. Good pic, as usual.
Celia: I'm glad you didn't take all that med! Wow, if I had taken that much I would be zonked out for days! I don't do well on pain med--would rather put up with whatever pain I might have than that awful "drunk" feeling that pain meds enduce in me. I hope your back is better. We here in the south would surely melt without A/C--LOL--at least we think we would but I grew up without it until I was 14 and I haven't melted yet. :o))
Sidney: that's a great photo. I love the combo of the different plants.
Kelli: a bicycle built for "tres". LOL
Marylyn: what a neat thing for the family to do with their kids. A very ambitious project, I might add.
The two other DGers and I had a really nice lunch together. Now who else, but with gardeners, could you have lunch and talk about how to raise ducks (with duckmother) and about the national shortage of meal worms!!! LOLOL

HHH today--officially the heat index did reach to 110. In fact the time/temp sign on the corner at the local high school said 113 when I came home! Of course, it is in the sun all day. My car said it was 104 outside--that's hot enough.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5356356

65 with more sun than clouds.
We just returned from an hour's hike, straight up, to a gorgeous lake. It was in the 50's up there and could not have been better; sunny and breezy.
hummerlou~wow that's an amazing sight. Welcome.
rann~love the looks of that project; take care, ok?
kwanjin~I'd go for the heating pad over most meds as well. Get well soon, too.
kelli~love the looks of your hike; such a pretty view from there.
Marylyn~interesting about the family bikers/great education.
Halfway up.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5356361

At the top.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5356365

The prize.

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #5356930

Great pictures Jackie.
;)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5357044

That's gorgeous, Jackie!!! Is that a volcanic crater? Or "just" a lake? Either way, it's beautiful.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
5:15 AM

Post #5357244

Thanks~it was well worth the effort; the trail is brand new and in all the years here, I'd never gone up that far on the mountain. It's a mile, uphill all the way, but very well engineered and a pleasure to use.
The lake has been carved by a glacier. There are several in this area; all just as beautiful, I hear:) I've only hiked to one other.
This is the drainage creek that leaves the lake and flows on down Hatcher Pass.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2008
10:31 AM

Post #5357532

Overcast skies @ 74, Going to start the move to the apartment in Rocky Mount this morning. May not have a Computer hooked up for awhile.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5357647

Good morning :-)

Jackie - Wonderful photos from your hike. The lake is wonderful :-) Must have been a fun trip. That's what we'd call a "nature pearl" - you're lucky to have one so close to your home. Thanks for your concern - I've been very resbonsible and haven't injured any parts so far, and don't intend to. I take lots of breaks ;-) Especially with the heatwave we've had for the past days. lol

It's cloudy this morning, "only" 60F and almost calm. Great day to work in the garden :-)

Kelli - interesting bike - I've seen one with one kiddie addition but not two. Beautiful photo.

Marylyn - Thanks - I think it will ;-) I'm so happy to get rid of some of that grass - less for me to mow ;-) Interesting about the bike traveling family ... what a great experience for the kids.

marsue - Sounds like you had fun - you can always count on interesting conversation topics when gardeners get together ;-) lol Sorry it's so hot there ...

It's a 3 day weekend here - sort of like Labor Day weekend, lots of people on the move. It's the last big travel weekend of the summer ... we won't be going camping, might go on a day trip, nothing decided yet.

The roses are loving this warm weather we've had :-)

Hope you have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5357681

Celia - thanks. I'm using the same kind of paving stone I used in this photo:

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5357827

HOORAY!! I heard from Joey last night and she is fine--has had computer problems and hasn't had time to get to her local library to get online there to let us know anything. So glad all is well with you, Joey!
Rann: your path is going to be lovely but that is quite a backbreaking job you have tackled. Do be careful and don't work too hard! Your rose is lovely.
kiska: love the hiking photos--what a view! The gkids seem to be having a good time! :o))
Dyson: good luck with your move. We'll miss you while you are away from DG. Thanks for letting us know where you will "be".
Another scorcher predicted for today. DH was out watering early this morning. Everything dries out so fast in this heat.
Today
Mostly Sunny High 101F
Precip 20%
Wind: NW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:18 AM CT
Avg. High: 92F
Record High: 103F (1987)
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 75F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 8:09 PM CT
Avg. Low: 68F
Record Low: 53F (1997)

There are two bumblebees in this photo--find them if you can! LOL They were moving so fast that it was hard for me to find them with the camera.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5358072

I think they're both just left of center, one above the other. Am I right? LOL Pretty.

98 today. I'm off to work soon but I wanted to say HI..."HI!!!"
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5358104

Yep, you win the prize, Celia! Be careful at work today--hope your back is doing better!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5358129

It's a little better but it's still sore.

I got a pic of some wasps on my hummer feeder. They like to fight the hummers for the food. I think that's why they don't stay long.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5358221

Love your cloud rannveig, and yours too hummerlou!

What an extraordinary start we've had to August here in the north of England. Torrential rain and thunderstorms!
Today we've had blue sky and sunshine, then 20 minutes later, black clouds and heavy rain.
I took this photo this afternoon.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5358347

52F Overcast with temps up in the 60's in the forecast.
Welcome, kniphofia~that's one amazing threatening cloud.
rann~I love your sitting area; all so very neatly done; you do good work:)) Nature's Pearl is a wonderful name; think I'll adopt it, ok?
marsue~sure a pretty area you've got, too. Sorry you've a hot day to contend with.
kwanjin~seems I recall that wasps/bees love soda pop; this must be a real treat for them.
This is the edge of the summit; from here it drops hundreds of feet.
The hillocks are rocks, now covered in vegetation.

Thumbnail by kiska

hummerlou
Bedias, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5358355

kwanjin, here is a link to a better photo, which you are welcome to send to your friends. You can either send them the link, or print the picture and send an actual picture. http://wc4.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@@.1de4b611/2095

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5358378

Thanks very much, Hummerlou. They're going to love it.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5358725

Welcome kniphofia.
What are your normal temperatures?
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5359073

Hi, kniphofia! Glad to have you here on the weather thread. Those are some threatening-looking clouds! In Arkansas we have a saying: "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes and it will change." LOL However, in these dog days of summer, there is just the same every day: heat, humidity and haze.
Kiska, we would call those "hillocks" moss-covered rocks. LOL

Speaking of heat, it is currently 100 and sunny with scattered clouds about.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5359311

100F?! I don't know how you stand it! I lived in Maine for 10 years and was amazed by the difference in temperatures year round. We often got into the 90s in summer and down to -20F in winter. Here in Britain we don't get anything like those extremes.
Northumberland is England's most northerly county, just below the border with Scotland and we're close to the North Sea coast. So we get a lot of cloud cover. Today it's been about 65F.
Here's a photo from mid week when I went to a local beach. There were lots of washed up jellyfish and an eerie sea fret.
Sue

Thumbnail by kniphofia

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5359325

It's only 98 (37 C) here right now. :-) Welcome to the Weather forum, Sue!! I hope you keep posting. We love hearing about the weather in other countries/states/areas. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 2:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 98 F 37 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 38% I should have watered this morning.. my garden is NOT going to be happy about this 38%!
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.3 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir Variable Variable
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 105 F 41 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008

Post #5359328

Sue, we stand the heat by staying inside in the air conditioning! LOL What a neat photo that is of the "eerie sea fret". (BTW, my middle name is Sue). :o))

We cross-posted, Marylyn. ONLY 98--lucky you! We are up to 101 now. LOL

This message was edited Aug 2, 2008 3:05 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5359610

Sue - thanks! and welcome :-) Hope you stick around :-) I love that photo from the beach :-)

Marsue - thanks :-) I got DH to help me out a bit today so we made more progress than I could have on my own :-) Getting close to the end now!

Kiska - you're welcome to use it - it's a term we use for places of great natural beauty. There are many of nature's pearls scattered around the country as I'm sure there are over there too :-) Love the hillocks - they look like they could be from here ;-)

The heatwave is over - high of 60F today and will be the same in the coming days. Mostly cloudy weather with scattered showers in the forecast.

'Masquerade'

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5359653

Good Afternoon! :D Sorry to have worried you all, butit couldn't be helped. At the moment the temp is 74 w/ T-storms on & off. We have had an inch & 1/2 since this morining.
At Dublin...
Clear: 79F
Feels like: 79F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 70
Humidity: 74%
Wind: 6 mph WSW
Sunrise: 6:28 AM
Sunset: 8:29 PM
UV Index: 8 Very High

I am hopelessly behind & I tried to read all of the posts that was possible. Thank you all for your concern, I have missed "talking" to you all. But all of the Great Pics! Wow! :D
E_B, Congrats on your new arrival! :D Your arbor looks really Neat! I think that brown would be nice.
Jackie, I Love the hike you took to the lake! What a beautiful place! You could really have some solitude there! :D It looks like crystal clear water! Wow!
Hummerlou! What a Gorgeous pic! :-O
Marsue, :D Thanks for trying to track me down. Glad to hear that your friend is doing well. Are all the tubes out now? But glad the staples are gone. They sound painful. 'Hope your temps get somewhat cooler! Ewwww!
Sharon, How is Gary? He is in my thoughts & prayers, always.
Celia, Take care of you back! Hope you get up to "par" soon. LOL I had to laugh at the Hummers fighting the bees...Shoot! Hummers fight hummers! LOL They have even hovered around me wondering wheather to fight me or not! :D
Kelli, Your hike was Magnificent! I love all of the great shots!
Adina, So sorry to hear about Boss. I know that you miss him so much. :(
Dyson, Mt. Airy? Now your getting pretty close to me! :) Hope the move goes well & you get on-line really soon!
Rann, Your Rose! Ooooo, So pretty! :D Almost as pretty as your girls. ;)
Welcome Sue! :D You'll love it here. It's about the only forum I care to go to. :D

And today's trivia! is...
This gas makes up approximately .04 parts per million of the earth's atmosphere.
a) Nitrogen
b) Argon
c) Water Vapor
d) Ozone

Have a Great Weekend!!!:D (ah...it's so good to be back! ;)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5359745

Joey,
So glad to hear from you. I bet JW is grown you've been gone so long.
I'll guess Argon.
What kind of little critter is in that flower?
So glad you are back.
;)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5359839

Welcome back, Joey!! We missed you. (And we need a baby fix!)

Dyson, I hope your move goes smoothly. It's never fun, but hopefully it won't be horribly stressful for you and your dw. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5359849

So good to see you posting again, Joey! The critter in your flower is really unusual--do you know what it is? Guessing A on the trivia. Show us a pic of JW! We missed his sweet, little face, too.
Rann: Masquerade is gorgeous! very similar to Rio Samba but more rosey tones. Looking forward to seeing your pics of the new path.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5359896

HHH. Probably in the hundreds and it's very hard to breathe out there.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 2, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5360170

59*F ~ overcast and a cool breeze picking up.
Length Of Visible Light: 19h 15m
Tomorrow will be 5m 27s shorter
So nice seeing you again, Joey. Like the others; we've missed you and "our" JW fix:) A
Well, we've turned on the heat~second time this "summer". Just got too cold to be comfortable w/layers on.
rann~the rose is just gorgeous; not much longer till we see your finished walk, glad you've had help.
Sue ~love the beach scene.
Another "Nature Pearl" lake up at Hatcher Pass; this one is alongside the road. Hiking up above it, there's another, just like a string of pearls.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5360424

Hi! :D
I have no earthly idea what kind of critter is on Edna, but it was very tiny.
Jackie, a string of pearls, hm... Neat!

Ok, here is a fix for you JW fans. :D
(he's sitting on a rock in the river..playing w/a rock.)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5360433

And here is one of him watching his toes go into the New River for the 1st time.

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5360484

Joey~this is what we've missed:)) (you,too, of course:) He's as cute as ever.
rann had mentioned that this type of lake is referred to as a Nature Pearl, pr other places of natural beauty; sure is an apt name.
Vegetation slowly covering more rocks.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5360495

Part of the growth covering rocks.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5360574

Yes, Joey, we were having withdrawals from not getting our JW fix. He is so cute and it is such fun to be able to take part in a grandchild's "first" this and that.
Kiska: love the "Nature's Pearl" and the moss-covered rocks

96 at 8:33 p.m. and almost Dyson dark.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5360954

It's turning out to be a great weekend. Joey AND Crissyr have turned up. No more worries! LOL

Joey, you have no idea what it means to see those baby toes! With no more kids around here and no GKs or grand-nieces/nephews on the way, it's been hard. Your funny-face is worth waiting for. Thanks.

Dyson, I know your moving but I missed to where you're moving. Where, please?

We had 98 and no clouds until just before sunset. It was a pretty pink and very sultry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5361735

It's raining, 58F and fairly calm. It's a fine misty rain, and welcome. I was just thinking last night that I really should water the garden - so glad that's been taken care of for me ;-) lol

Joey! So glad to see you back - you have been greatly missed :-) JW is as cute as ever :-)

Kiska - wonderful photos :-)

Thanks marsue :-) I'll post a pic of the path when it's done - it'll probably be a few weeks at the rate I'm going ...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5361911

Started moving to an apartment in Rocky Mount, VA yesterday. That place is small, will take some major adjustments on our part.

Sunny, bright, 75

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5361933

Very good luck to you, then. A major move is disruptive but satisfying in the end.

68F with 98 and a 15% chance of rain. We'll see.
Feels like: 68F

Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 45%
Wind: 6 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:26 AM
Sunset: 8:39 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

An orange safflower popped in with the yellow ones.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5362218

Celia: lovely sunset and pretty orange safflower. It's hot and sultry here, too.
Rann: lovely flowerbed! How long will your blooming season last?
Dyson: hope all is going well with the move. A smaller place always takes an adjustment--ask me how I know! :o))
Yes, it's good to have Joey back with us and to know that Cristine(crissyr) is on the mend after an appendectomy. However, I was thinking that we haven't heard from Tamara Faye in quite some time. How about it, Sidney--any word from TF?

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 100F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 52%
Sunrise: 6:19 AM CT
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 74F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 72%
Sunset: 8:08 PM CT
Record Low: 55F (1997)

I found this critter on my Sunsprite--even spiders are pretty when they are lime green! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5362265

Love that green spider!
Another very changeable day here, about 68F with beautifully dramatic clouds.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5362280

52F raining
Dyson~Good luck w/moving day; hope it all goes well.
rann~~your flower garden is gorgeous. Like there, we don't water often and when we do, it's with buckets of water from the rain barrels.
marsue~very pretty; both flowers and bug. The thought of 100 weather is very difficult to imagine. We gave those temps up 30 years when we came up here and have adapted very well, for the most part:)
kwanjin~hope you're feeling better~that's a nice bright bloom.
Not too far up the trail, I turned to take this pic.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 3, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5362286

hi kniphofia~ the clouds are as dramatic as ever, beautiful.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5363408

A severe thunderstorm capable of producing winds in excess of 60 mph and nickel-sized hail is heading toward our area as I type. I can see the dark, threatening clouds and hear the thunder. It hasn't reached us just yet but is on the way. I'm turning my computer off now. Will be back after this is over.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #5363433

Same old, same old here. HHH and very bright sun.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5363667

Here's a really cute video of twin baby Moose in the sprinkler.
http://www.maniacworld.com/twin-baby-moose-in-sprinkler.html
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 3, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5363871

Well, our so-called thunderstorm never materialized. It was "much ado about nothing" LOL I suppose it just blew around us. Of course, we could have used some rain but I certainly didn't want 60 MPH winds and nickel-sized hail.

Sidney: that video of the twin moose is soooo cute!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5364235

Marsue: That's a Green Lynx spider. They hang out on my Snapdragons. :)
We had a t-storm like yours this morning. Just blew on past us. Not a drop in our direction.

Kniphofia: Gorgeous shot of your sky! Very 3-d!

I've missed the past couple of days and I have missed so much!
Joey: Good to "see" you!
Dyson: Best of luck with the move.

Just plain hot and humid the past 2 days. Overcast, still, and muggy.
Deb

My first Candy lily bloom.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5365277

Joey...Wow! JW is Big! Have you been sprinkling fertilizer on him?

Kiska...Gorgeous photos--as always!

Knip...Welcome aboard. Those clouds look like the same ones we have had here the past few days.

Rann...Your gardens are looking so green and vibrant and I really love that rose. Do you happen to know what it's called? Looks like quite a summer project you have taken on. Take it easy. The construction part of my new bed project is almost finished. I'll post an updated photo.

We had a weekend of simply wonderful weather here in NW Pa. Blue skies, fluffy clouds, not too hot. It just doesn't get any better. Looks like low 80's for Mon. and Tues. then 8 days of 70's with an occasional shower or thunderstorm. It has been an almost perfect growing season here with sun and rain coming in just the right amounts.

I went on a long bike ride yesterday morning and came across a large Amish auction over in Ohio. It just happened to be at one of the farms I posted the photo of in the previous thread. When I got home I collected the wife and we drove back over. It was quite a production. They had all kinds of food booths set up, homemade ice cream, baked goods, barbecued chicken, and pizza baked in a wood fired pizza oven. Pretty cool. There were photo ops galore but the Amish frown on cameras so I took a couple shots from a distance and left the camera in the truck. After the auction we headed up to Erie for the Blues/Jazz Festival.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5365281

A closer view.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5365287

I photographed and posted this barn rising out of the wheat field last week. Now the wheat has been cut and the straw stacked by hand.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5365291

Later...on to the Blues Fest.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5365371

And finally, my project. All of the rocks are set and the base for the bench is in place. A neighbor offered me a large pile of rock as well as a good number of cut foundation stones. All I had to do was haul them away. I got the rest of what I needed from the in laws farm. Since I made the fence from old 6' privacy fence that was given to me and the stone were all free all I have in the whole project so far is a half dozen 2x4's, four 4x4 posts, a few bags of redi-mix and some fence brackets--less then a hundred dollars. I still need to...

Set the top of the bench. It's 4 feet long, nearly 1 foot thick and around 18 inches wide and weight several hundred pounds. I'll need help for sure.

Wheelbarrow a bunch of compost and spread it

Head to the farm for a couple loads of well rotted manure

Paint the fence

Finish the arbor, put the colored glass in the windows, and add copper accents on the corner posts.

Plant! Plant! Plant!

I'm just glad to be done with the stone work!

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5365388

Wow! That's very neat, Early. I would love to see that. Very nice.

I am feeling better, Kiska. Thank you. The meds my Dr. gave me are doing the trick. I was able to rest up and I'm ready for work tomorrow. It's still a little stiff but it's better every day.

Just plain hot here, too, Deb. lol

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5365396

Sorry. We crossed. That's very, very nice work. My house next? LOL
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5365411

Kwanjin...Thanks! Glad you're feeling better. Your house next huh? I'll add you to my list!

I was very happy when I saw the neighbor's stone pile included these nice squared ones. they were perfect for the corners and ends inside the fence.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 3, 2008 11:18 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5365450

Lucky find, indeed! I look forward to the plantings. Any ideas what you put there? Or did I miss that somewhere?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #5365953

Hi Everyone! So much going on I'll have to catch up later. And welcome to our 2 new friends kniphofia and hummerlou!

It's been a looong weekend. Gary was released from the hospital last night. His white cell count got down to .03 (not good at all). I managed to get a little done in the lawn and garden, but not much. I'll have to tackle most of it this week after work.

Joey - It's good to have you back! You were missed! Thanks for the d-mail.
Marylyn - Are you ready to "batten down the hatches"?

75.2 F / 24.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the southeast in the afternoon. Chance of rain 30%.

We're back in the "vague" forecasts - "lower 90's" ha...that generally means about 94.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5366382

Deb: thanks for the ID on the spider. Someone on the Mid-south forum told me that they have a nasty bite, too, but not poisonous like brown recluse or black widows. I leave spiders alone as long as they are eating the bad bugs in my flower beds. If they are in the house--well, that's another story! Pretty Candy lily.
EB: sounds like you and the DW had a fun week-end. Those are some great photos! Your arbor garden is going to be lovely. I can hardly wait to see that bench as well as the entire garden once you get it planted.
Celia: You will have to get in line behind me. EB is supposed to come down here and help my DH with our next project! LOL Ahhh, cats! gotta love 'em!
Cute picture. Glad you are feeling better.
Sharon: sorry about Gary's white cell count--continuing to pray for him. How many MPG does the motorcycle get?
Today
Partly Cloudy
High 101F
Precip 10%
Wind: SE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
Sunrise: 6:20 AM CT
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 74F
Precip 0%
Wind: SSE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
Sunset: 8:07 PM CT
Record Low: 55F (1974)
We have a heat advisory today. Heat indexes will be between 105 and 110!
Last night around 8:30 p.m. another dark cloud with thunder and lightning and wind blew over and left us not a drop of rain! :o((

Illustris EE edited to add: with Mexican Petunias along border of flower bed.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 8:04 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5366506

Good Morning! All! :D At the moment we have a temp of 61! (the calm before the Heat). We're supposed to be in the 90's come tomorrow.
At Dublin...
Clear: 63F
Feels like: 63F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 61
Humidity: 94%
Visibility: 5 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:27 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

E_B, That Looks Great! :D You can put me on the list, too! :D The Blues Fest looks like it went really well. LOL No...we haven't been putting fertilizer on him! :D We all got a good laugh at that one! ;) But he is well above average for height & weight on the Drs chart. btw, Love the barn & straw pic! Neat-O
Thanks Sharon! :D, I hope that Gary is feeling better today. He's still in my prayers.
Deb, Good to 'see' you, too! :D How's the water table level doing? And what a Gorgeous Lilly! :-O
Sidney, Thanks. And the video is absolutely Precious! :D
Marsue, As I was going thru the posts that I'd missed (when absent) I noticed that Tamara Faye wasn't anywhere to be seen. I just thought that I had missed something. I hope that she is OK. And that little green spider is rather cute! ;D And what a Gorgeous! Flower Bed! :D
Celia, It's nice to be missed. :) I have another funny face for ya.
Jackie, Thanks for the hike! It certainly is a gorgeous place! One of these days...

The state fair starts next week end..hope to get some more great pics. And JW is going for one evening. 'Hope to get some good reactions! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D
The ozone layer protects us from the sun's harmful UV rays.

Today's trivia is...
In what year was the first weather satellite launched?
a) 1940
b) 1950
c) 1960
d) 1970

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5366698

51F Overcast but I see patchy blue sky here and there.
Will get back later; coffee is calling:)

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5366762

Joey: mmmm, give that fat little neck a big kiss for me--there's nothing as sweet as neck sugar! It sure is good to see that sweet little face again and to have you back with us.
Kiska: love the view and I like those gold hiking shoes, too! Enjoy the coffee-I've had my quota for the day.

Currently it is a "cool" 83! :D

another of my EE's

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5367046

Answer is C. 1960.

Cute picture, Joey!!! LOL

What a view, Kiska! I need more coffee. I'm using the tall mug today. Mmm...

Pretty EEs, Mau. The mexican petunias a nice. I've seen those around here but I never knew what they were.

79F with 97 and thunderstorms. No clouds in sight yet nor any wind to speak of.
Feels like: 79F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 38
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:27 AM
Sunset: 8:38 PM

It says further down that the UV is 10 today. On Fridays forecast, it says UV:N/A. Huh? Not Applicable? Are we all going to be dead then? Just curious...I have things to take care of, if that's the case.

Caught this with the new lens.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5367504

And look what else I found? My Iceberg is back!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5367541

Great shot of the hummer, Celia! and congrats on your Iceberg!

Currently 92 and sunny

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #5368413

The coffee was good, glad to be back; this time, with afternoon coffee:)
56F ~ very overcast now, with rain looking very possible.
marsue~thanks, the hiking boots did well for me this time.
83F ~ does it feel cooler?
I recall seeing DebinSC's EE pics; they get to be quite large, right?
kwanjin~the Iceberg is gorgeous; as is the hummingbird; bet you're loving the new lens.
Joey~What a huggable little guy:)) C
In answer to Sugarweed's topic, this is what happened in the yard today.
He gave a little "buck" as he took off.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5368704

Before I do anything I just have to show y'all my new chair. I've had it on order for almost 3 months. Callie likes it LOL! It swivels and rocks.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5368792

It is definitely more humid than this weather report says.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on August 04, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft / 5486 m
(Above Ground Level)

There have been a lot of altocumulus clouds here all day and it is or will probably rain in the mountains or deserts. It won't rain here. It does rain in the desert in the summer. It doesn't rain here. You can bet your boots they'll interupt my ball game with that blasted flash flood watch warning. You'd think they could better direct those things to the areas where they are relevant. Maybe Time Warner West Valley needs a geography lesson.

Marylyn, BTW, Manny Ramirez is a big hit here. He was a fan favorite even before he stepped onto the field for the first time.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 3:57 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5368853

[quote]You can bet your boots they'll interrupt my ball game with that blasted flash flood watch warning. ... Maybe Time Warner West Valley needs a geography lesson.[/quote]

Or at the very least priority lesson! LOLOL

So far it looks like TS Eduoard is going to come on shore near Galveston, so we are going to get very wet tomorrow. As usual, I'm not worried about anything but falling branches (we have 2 pecan trees that stretch over the house, the neighbors to our east have a HUGE live oak and the neighbors to the west have a HUGER ash tree) and the possibility of tornadoes. Even if this were going to be a really big storm (and it isn't), we're too far from the Gulf to worry about storm surges, and our neighborhood doesn't flood. I d-mailed Sharon our phone numbers, just in case. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 5:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 96 F 36 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 44%
Pressure 29.88 in 1011.8 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 105 F 41 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 6:05 PM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5368858

Kiska: You have meese in your yard again! :) (Pretty flowers.) And that's some gorgeous scenery from your hike!
Sharon: We're in those kind of vague days here, too. :)

We DID get some rain early this morning, about 1/3 of an inch. Yay.

Marsue, here's how your illustris will look next year if it gets lots of water. :)
(Lousy shot of my front walk, but you can see the one tiny illustris I planted there 2 years ago.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5368862

Marylyn: We crossed. Hope that any branches that fall are verrrry small ones. :)
Deb
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5368863

80 with thunderstorms moving through the area from the northwest but no rain here yet.

kwanjun...I'm still not sure what's going in the new bed. I have a bunch of Knock-Out and carpet roses I bought last fall that need a home as well as a bunch of things I bought at plant sales this summer. The outside border will be flowers for sure but I might even plant a mixture of flowers and veggies inside the fence.

Joey...the Blues Fest went well--right up until the transformer blew and they lost all power to the park and stage. The headliner (Mem Shannon from New Orleans) had just started his show. Everyone went home. :( You're on the list. Expect me sometime around June, 2014.

Scene from a recent bike ride.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5368869

Deb...Beautiful entryway!!!

early_bloomer
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5368889

E_B: Put me down for 2015? ;-> Thanks for the nice comment on my entryway. It's gotten away from me a bit this summer. I'm enjoying following the progress on your new garden.
Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5369106

That's right Marylyn, don't get between Kelli and her ball game. ;-) The Cubs and Astros are on ESPN right now. I'm watching that.

Nice pictures, Deb and E_B. Deb, was your house built in the 1940s or early '50s?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5369132

Okay starting from the top!

Sidney What are the pretty pink flowers? Got it polka dot geraniums!
Rann Thats a beautiful picture. The hill to the right reminds me of Devils Tower (sort of) http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_devilstower.html
Marsue I think its the heat thats turning your pink flowers white just sucking the color right out of them LOL!
Kiska I have saved several of your pictures as background!
Celia Callie is getting as good as Boo about turning her head at just the right moment before I snap the picture. Are buckthorn berries edible? How is your back?
Hummerlou That is one gorgeous picture! Hats off to you for capturing the moment!
Sidney Your garden is gorgeous!
Rann Your walkway is, wellperfect! What are you going to lay for the foundation? Got it paving stone!
Kelli Love the fog picture!
Man Ive got a long way to go! LOL!
Kiska What a beautiful spotanother year and well be there to see it!
Dyson Youre moving? I missed something.
Rann That is a beautiful rose! School started in Georgia today. Starts on the 18th here. The kids are not happy about it!
Marsue What are the flowers the bumblebees are on?
Celia I havent spotted any wasps on the hummer feeders, only hummers and anoles.
Kiska- I love the tommacks Scottish for hillocks! Why do I know this? LOL!
Sue Ive heard that the jellyfish population has exploded this year. They say its due to the fouled and warming oceans are the reason. All I know is Ive seen more here this year than any other.
Oh My Garshstill so far behind
JOEY You were missed we love you! Love the assassin critter. We have them here, they are good for the garden (mostly).
Marsue Ill have a Rio Samba on the rocks (especially after all this catching up!)
Joey Give JW a big ole smackeroo from Auntie Sharon LOL!
Deb There you are! Candy Lily is pretty!
E_B Great pictures! Im in love with the barn. Its beautiful! The festival looks like it was a lot fun. Great job on the arbor...will you pen me in after Joey?! LOL! Cant wait to see the bench!
Marsue DH so far has driven 65 miles and is still on a full tank. He is going to refuel and do the goesinta (as he calls it) to get the mpg/hho. Weve pretty much figured out that every time Gary has chemohell end up in the hospital due to the chemo killing off the white cells. Not fun, but it is the nature of the beast.
Joey Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm JW is adorable! 1960 is the trivia answer.
Celia Awesome pic of the hummer! Great job!
Kiska Love the moose!
Marylyn Got the numbers!
Deb Your front walk is lovely : )

Where is Tamara Faye?
I'm beat going to bed LOL! That was a lot of catching up to do!

80.6 F / 26 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3800 ft / 1158 m
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph becoming south 5 mph after midnight.

It was so nice outside this morning at 7:30 and the temp was the same as now...ummmhmmm

I turned these ugly rusted out green spring steel chairs (from a garage sale) for $10 each

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5369139

In to these lovelies! Now all I need to do is buy new cushions.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5369206

[quote]That's right Marylyn, don't get between Kelli and her ball game. ;-) The Cubs and Astros are on ESPN right now. I'm watching that.[/quote]

LOL That's what I say, too! I'm listening to the Astros game. We don't have cable, and our local stations only VERY rarely carry the games. That drives me crazy.

The chairs look great, Sharon!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5369328

Kelli: Our house is a standard 1980s housing development creation. :)
Sharon: Great find!
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5369397

HHH. Supposed to start cooling down starting Weds. By end of week we should be in low 80s. Gonna feel kinda cold after the 100s. lol
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008

Post #5369516

Talked to Tamara Faye and she sends her love to all and prayers for Gary.
She has been fighting racoons and polka dot younguns.
She's too busy to be on the computer for a while.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
1:28 AM

Post #5369557

Marylyn and Kelli,
My DGM on Daddy's side was (also) baseball crazy. She lived in Houston in the 70s & 80s and kept statistics on both of her teams there.
She'd have one on TV and one on radio at the same time. Her life "in season" revolved around being home for every game.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5370287

Busy, busy, busy. Everyone was busy today.

Thanks for the compliments on the rose. I wasn't sure I could bring her back but there she is. She has more buds on her, too.

Any suggestions of roses for the backyard near the wall?

Callie says the chair is acceptable. You always know you've made the right choice when the critters get on it before you do! LOL

Nice find, Sharon. You've certainly got a gift for them.

Keeping Gary is our thoughts here. My friends at work are in on it, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5370693

Thanks everyone. I did the happy dance when I found the chairs :) Not in front of the previous owners though...they might have raised the price LOL!

Gary has a 1 hour chemo appointment today then done through next week. Justin volunteered to take him this time. He's curious about the procedure and wants to show support before school starts. Wish he'd show that much drive at school!

I forgot who asked about the mpg on the Voyager, but I'll check with DH when he gets up.
Pepper - 80's sound like a cool front to me too!
Celia - Beautiful flower!

76.3 F / 24.6 C
Clear
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F / 25 C

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 5 mph becoming southeast 10 mph in the afternoon.

FOund these mushrooms under the Lugustrums (sp?)

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5371000

Good morning!

It was a sunny, 60F, lightly breezy kind of day yesterday and it looks like more of the same today :-)

Sharon - thanks :-) School starts on Aug. 22nd here ... seems too soon to me. It used to start in the beginning of September - I liked that better ;-) lol Thoughts for Gary. The chairs look great!

EB - great photos :-) Interesting photos form the Amish sale. The fenced in garden is going to look wonderful when it's all planted :-)

Joey - what a cute face ! :-)

Deb - very pretty candylily :-) Your walkway looks great - full of exotics I'd be more familiar with as houseplants ;-) lol

Kiska - more wonderful photos :-)

Celia - pretty Iceberg blooms - I have that one too! Also blooming with lots of buds :-)

Sidney - we loved the moose video - I showed it to my girls, they thought it was great :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5371057

Hellluuuu! :D Good morning to you all! :D Right now we have a temp of 63, but it will change once the fog raises.Gonna be a scorcher, but I'm so thankful that it's not a repeat of last year!
At Dublin...
Clear: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 64
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:31 AM
Sunset: 8:26 PM

Marylyn, Hope all is well w/ you this morning. Hope that the trees hold up! Take care!
Sharon, You did a fine job on those chairs! :-O What a great find! ;D I see the new chair you ordered is well liked by Everyone! ;) I hope you get to sit in it! :D
Sidney, I'm glad that TF is alright, but racoons & chicks don't go together! I could loan her Jack, if he road in a car, but I can't even get him to the vet! I have to walk him there. He hasn't killed a racoon, but he's killed 2 groundhogs. I love it when he brings me presents...NOT! Maybe I'll just loan her my 22 rifle.
Deb, Absolutely Love your walkway! Very Pretty! :D
E_B, What a shame about the power going out! What a Bummer! He would have be so good! THat is a 1950-something truck, but what is the make? Definitely an antique! ;)
Kelli, You & Marylyn are so funny! :D We love baseball, too, but I don't think we're so "hard core"! ;) LOL
Kiska, Love the little moose frolicking in your yard! So cute! :D And the boots look rather neat.
Celia, Love the Iceberg (Gorgeous!!) And a really good pic of the hummer! :D
Marsue...I kissed the little chubby neck & all I could do was laugh, cuz he was giggling so much! ;)
Hi!! Rann!! (((waving))) :D

The answer to the trivia is...C
In 1960, Tiros 1 was launched into space.

Today's trivia is...
Which wave has the shortest wavelength?
a) AM radio waves
b) Microwaves
c) Visible light
d) X rays

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5371132

D on the trivia, Joey. :-) So far we're just fine... We have a light drizzle and a slight breeze. Last night it looked like the tropical storm was heading right into Galveston Bay, which would have aimed it right at us, but it swerved north and is dumping on Beaumont and the far southwestern corner of Louisiana. We still have a flash flood warning, and are likely to get 3-6 inches of rain - maybe more, depending on the rain bands. Most of the yucky stuff is going to go north of us. We and our roof are very thankful.

School starts here on the 25th. The little bunny is going back to Pre-Kindergarten, so the big bunny and I are going to start homeschool on the same day.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:41am CDT (9 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 78%
Pressure 29.88 in 1012 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir WNW 300
Ceiling 2600 ft 792 m
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 81 F 27 C
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks 0.05" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

Today Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Highs in the upper 80s. Northwest winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 45 mph in the morning becoming southwest with gusts to around 35 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5371349

Marylyn, Glad that the brunt of the storm will miss you !:D 'Hope no wind comes w/ the 3"-6" of rain.

A good quote:
The urge to create, the urge to photograph, comes in part from the deep desire to live with more integrity, to live more in peace with the world, and possibly to help others to do the same.

Wynn Bullock

(My Boneset)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5371362

And my Joe Pye...

Thumbnail by music2keep

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 5, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5371452

50F heavy clouds draped over the mountain top and half-way down.
6am ~ the quiet time.
School starts August 18th. 2 gkids live w/us and are not too anxious to go back. One in 2nd grade, the other, 4th.
Love the chatty posts; have a good day; especially to Gary.
Yesterday's moose pic.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5371528

My server has been down -off and on-- so I need to make this quick.
Sharon, love the swivel rocker. I've had one for 15 years and it is my favorite chair--great for rocking grandbabies--or cats! LOL Also, love your "new" steel chairs--a great find! Sorry Garry is having to deal with the low white blood count. give him a hug for me. Those flowers with the bumblebees are Mystic Blue Spires Salvia--hummers and bees love them!
Marylyn: glad the worst of the storm is missing you. Limbs on the roof would not be a good thing! Our school starts here on Aug. 19th. Good thing all the schools here are air conditioned!
Joey: I can hear JW giggling now! :o)) D on the trivia sounds good to me. Your pooch looks relaxed--LOL That's a great quote.
Sidney: glad to hear that Tamara Faye is okay. Polka-dot children? Does that mean they have had chicken pox?
Deb: love your entryway. I can believe that my Illustris will grow that much by next year--it has already quadrupled in size since I bought it in the spring.
EB: wonder how many miles that truck had on it before it was "retired"? I love photographs like that.
Celia: are you wanting to plant climbing roses or shrub roses or tea roses? You should go to the American Rose Society's website. They have a list of the top 10 fragrant roses there but I don't know which ones would survive the winter in your zone. Pretty yellow and red flower--some type of daisy?
pepper: it is supposed to start "cooling down" here, too--down to 90 by Sunday! LOL

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 98F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
Sunrise: 6:21 AM CT
Avg. High: 91F
Record High: 99F (1970)
Tonight:
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 0%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 71%
Sunset: 8:06 PM CT
Record Low: 53F (1974)
We are losing daylight minutes everyday--:o((

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5371537

Kiska: Those are two good photos of the moose! Have you ever thought about home-schooling your gkids?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5371665

I should have said, Mau. It's Gaillardia. I don't know the variety but I think it's Goblin. Hopefully, it's not just a sport. You're plant looks like my Carex, Ice Dance.

Still have Gary in my pocket.

80F with "only" 94 later today. It's much cloudier than yesterday.
Feels like: 80F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 34
Humidity: 19%
Wind: 13 mph SE
Sunrise: 6:28 AM
Sunset: 8:37 PM

Going to guess D, as well.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5371671

Clouds...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5371688

Sweet Allysum.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5372465

Sharon: Those mushrooms look kinda like Reese's Peanut butter cups!
:)
Deb
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5372798

Awwww... Deb... Now I'm hungry.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
8:13 PM

Post #5373121

Sultry!!!
94.1 F / 34 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind: 3.1 mph / 4 km/hVariable
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 96 F / 36 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles
Tamara said those blasted racoons were going after ducklings.
Doug had even slept out there one time and the racoon was so sneaky he didn't even wake him.
She said they were marking red dots on 16mo. with blue dots to make sure he's not getting more. She said that was one more thing "done" if it is CP.
;)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5373126

Mmm...Reese's Peanutbutter Mushroom Cups...

Snapped this when I got home for lunch. Goldfinches. We don't get many, just a few.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 2:21 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5373143

Raccoons are trouble. Tiger and Fat Elvis, two of my pond fish, have disappeared in the past few days. I don't know if a raccoon got them, but I wouldn't be surprised. It has happened before.

The usual...

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 05, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Few 22000 ft / 6705 m
(Above Ground Level)

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5373848

Joey...I didn't check to see what make the truck was. I was on a bike ride and had stopped for a drink and snack when it rolled up next to me on a flatbed . I really liked the blues against the sky.

Kelli...Fat Elvis has left the pond! Raccoons are nasty predators but the fish could also have fallen prey to a hawk if there are any around your area.

Hot and humid here...80F and 75% humidity. I did a little stone work earlier but decided to wait for better working conditions.

Sharon...I'm sure there are better days ahead for Gary.

Photo: Making hay.

early_bloomer

early_bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5374049

Thanks for the well wishes for Gary. He just goes on about his day like nothing happened. He said to tell everyone Hello
Joey Thanks! Jack looks worn out! Im going with D on the trivia. Love your blooms!
Marylyn How is the weather? Are you getting a deluge?
Kiska Love the moose pics!
Marsue I love the chair! I had to cover it this morning since Callie slept in it all day. I dont think she moved until I got home from work!
Deb Youre right! The mushrooms are huge like a giant peanut butter cup! LOL!
Celia Pretty birds! What are the little gray ones?
E_B Wonderful picture of the truck! Kind of looks like an International. I also like the making hay shot.

81.5 F / 27 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the ESE
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5500 ft / 1676 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Cannas beginning to bloom.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5374131

It's up to 54F; think that's about it for the day. For me, so much better than having to contend with the high temps.
MySharona~it sounds so amazing to hear how Gary is dealing with everything; good for him. I loved your chairs, too. I think Callie was making it her own. The Calla is so pretty.
E_B~I've really enjoyed your posts/pics. This is of the hay is especially nice.
Stream flowing down from Hatcher Pass area.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5374308

Kiska: Hatcher Pass is beautiful! Reminds me of the Scottish Highlands. 54 sounds very appealling at the moment, after spending a couple of hours out there watering the garden in temps approximatel 40 degrees above that! :)
Sidney: "Sultry" is absolutely the right word!

I think raccoons have been eating the eggs one of our little Muscovy moms has been laying under our front porch. I really wish they'd cut that out!

Hey - did I show y'all my Slime Mould???

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5374478

Hello to Gary!

We have a net over the pond, so I don't think we have bird problems.

Slime mold... Hmmm... Pretty funky

Kiska, every day I see a lizard or two in our yard and I think of you. Don't you feel flattered? ;-)

This is/was Fat Elvis.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5374535

HHH.

We had a very strong and damaging storm hit work this morning. Knocked over trees and covered sidewalks in leaves and limbs. Wind was strong enough that I thought either a tropical storm was hitting or a tornado. White caps were on the lake and they weren't small ones either. Luckily no one was hurt, just wet. We did get damage to a new sidewalk that was being laid when the storm hit. They may have to repour it if they can't salvage this one and it will be alot of money if they have to repour.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 6, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5375387

It's 8:30pm and the sun finally came out:)) It's just beautiful out and smells so clean and fresh after the rain. The days are still quite long, but losing daylight will begin to be noticiable in a few weeks.
57F~~
Deb~ 40 degrees warmer seems unreal. By the way, I loved your front entry and how the ivy grew along the face of the steps. Very pretty home.
Sounds like Scotland is a beautiful country. And, I too hope the racoons leave the eggs alone.
kelli~that many lizards in one day? Now,that's harder to take than the heat, IMO...and, yes, it's interesting that I come to mind; bet there's many more just like me.
The vegetation up at Hatcher Pass is very dense, but quite small. This little tiny turquoise plant was about 1-2" high. It was growing in the midst of the reindeer moss. I haven't looked it up yet, so don't know what it is.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #5375702

Kiska I agree with Deb - The hatchers Pass picture looks like it was taken in the Scottish Highlands, very pretty! Scotland is gorgeous you should go sometime. The climate is somewhat similar as it stays cool most of the year. It doesnt get much warmer that the upper 60s in the Summer. It is more damp though. Gary doesnt have what I call the complaint gene. Weve learned a lot from him.
Deb Ummmm slime mold. Ewwww?! What caused that?
Kelli LOL! We have tons of lizards here. The babies are hatching now. They are everywhere. Fat Elvis certainly lived up to his name!
Pepper I didnt hear anything about storms in your area today. Glad no one was harmed.
Kiska What a neat picture of the tourquoise plant and the reindeer moss. The moss has a unique look to it!

76.8 F / 24.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Clouds: Clear

Today
Partly cloudy and hot. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 98. West winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon. Heat index readings 102 to 106.

Kiska - Don't look - lizard

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #5375774

Celia: the plant in my photo above is "Monkey Grass Variegata" (Liriope muscari)
We usually get goldfinches in May and December on their flights to and from points north. Sweet William is sweet. :o))
Sidney: poor baby of TF's! Red and blue polka-dots and itchy, to boot!
EB: you left out the rest of that phrase. . .making hay. . ."while the sun shines" LOL neat pic
Sharon: pretty canna. We could all learn a lot from Gary! P.S. Lizards get thirsty, too! LOL
Kiska: I can hear that brook babbling now! Pretty reindeer moss with the turquoise plant. What a woman you are--you face moose without fear (you do, don't you?) and quiver at the thought of a little lizard! I used to get a chameleon at the circus every year. They would have little leashes on them and you could pin them on your clothing. I wore mine to school. After a few days I would turn it loose in the yard. Nowadays the ASPCA has probably banned that practice. Have I reduced you to a mound of quivering jelly on the floor yet? LOLOL
Deb: slime mold! What causes it--do you know?
Pepper: glad no one was hurt in the winds--Sorry about the damage to the sidewalk--bummer.
Kelli: sorry about Fat Elvis and tiger----Bad raccoon!!!

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 96F
Precip 20%
Wind: SW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
Sunrise: 6:21 AM CT
Record High: 101F (1980)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: WSW 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Sunset: 8:06 PM CT
Record Low: 56F (1997)

Echinachea purpurea bud starting to open

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
11:04 AM

Post #5375790

Nice outside for the first time in over a week. Will stay nice thru at least Mon.

Sharon, it was a small storm. I live about 10 min or so from work and we never saw a drop there.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
11:14 AM

Post #5375811

Good Morning! It's a really nice 66 outside & a little foggy. I'll need to make this short - gotta get ready for work.
At Dublin ( on the mountain)...
Clear: 75F (which seems unreal)
Feels like: 75F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 68
Humidity: 78%
Wind: 3 mph WNW
Sunrise: 6:32 AM
Sunset: 8:25 PM

E_B, Love the "making hay" pic! Everybody around here has had a time putting up their hay. THey can't get it dry before the next rain. But I'd rather have some rain than no rain. :) How's the new grandbaby doin'?
Thanks Sharon, Jack always wears himself out. By late afternoon he's always plum tuckered! :D Cute Lizard! And your canna is Great! How is Gary today? (always in my mind - many prayers)
Kelli, I hate that you 'lost' your Koi! I sounds as if it may be a racoon, I think that your netting would be torn up otherwise.
Kiska, It does look like Scotland! Gorgoeus place! I love the moss & lichen. Is there any way you can do a 'follow - up' to see what the little turquios plant is?
Pepper, Glad that you're OK & the storm was not tornado activity!
Deb, Your Ivy looks nearly covered up! :-O A fungus for sure! We have mushrooms everywhere here. My brothere's yard (in 1 corner) is full. I had to laugh at him, tho...He thought if he mowed them over that that would take care of them! LOL I had to explain...
Mornin' Marsue!!! :D

Well...gotta run. I'll be back this after noon w/ the trivia.

"see"ya then! :D
Joey

Kyle Petty on his annual charity run.

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5376893

Good afternoon :-)

It's a wet day here today, we've had some really heavy rainshowers today. Almost calm though and a high around 58F. Sunrise today was at 4:53 and sunset will be at 10:14 pm.

Hi Joey :-) (waving back) :-) lol Great photos - the energizer pooch ran out of energy?? lol Didn't think that could happen ;-) Pretty plants.

Sharon - the lizard stealing a dring is so cute :-)

EB - love the making hay photo.

Kiska - wonderful photos, both of the moose and hatcher's pass - looks like home ;-) lol

Pepper - glad there wasn't more damage from the storm!

We went on a day trip on Sunday - didn't go as far as planned since we got a late start ... but it was nice getting out of town. It was raining in town, but dry where we went although heavily overcast ...

The road to Thingvellir ... the pipeline along the road delivers hot water to the Reykjavik area. The cyclists are tourists for sure - why people think it's a good idea to travel on bike around Iceland I will never know ... I used to think it was something they'd only try once, until I met a couple from the Netherlands a few years ago that had been here many times and absolutely loved it. I still don't get it. lol

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5377006

Good morning, everyone. Not much to report here. Very nice pics.

75F with "only" 90 for later.

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 55
Humidity: 50%
Wind: 13 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:29 AM
Sunset: 8:36 PM

Damselfly on Money Plant "money".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5377338

Still in the mid 60'sF here and very changeable. We're having a lot of heavy rain, misty mornings and cloud. Very warm and humid today.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5377343

My beloved kniphofias are starting to bloom. This one is 'Timothy'.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5377394

Celia - very pretty damsel fly :-)

Kniphofia - your kniphofia is very pretty :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5377681

Celia: I am always amazed at the brilliant colors of the various damselflies and some of the other insects.
Rann: Why would bicycling around Iceland not be a good idea? Is it too remote between towns?
kniphofia: Lovely torch lily! Mine had their main burst of bloom in May. I had one that had at least 25 blooms on it at the same time. Right now, I only have one bloom on mine. I think they are just the neatest plant and the hummers and bees like them, too! :o))

Currently a "cool" 94 LOL

verbena

Thumbnail by marsue

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5377707

Readings from the neariest w/underground station to my house:

Current temperature at 315PM: 104.1 F !!!!
Humidity: 41% (low humidity! - the good news part of the current weather situation!)
Winds: WSW at 0.0 mph / 0 km/h

Just a quick check - in from work.
Hi all!

BBL,
Deb
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5377762

Sultrier!
97.0 F / 36.1 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5 km/hVariable
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 101 F / 38 C
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2008

Post #5377798

Kiska, do you have Geico commercials on t.v. up there? You must have to leave the room when they come on.

Rann, bicycling is very popular around here - not right here in town so much, but in the mountains and parks. It never really interested me, but to each his own. There are places where we hike and I see bicycle tracks and wonder how anyone makes it up those steep hills or rocky, washed out trails.

Marylyn, you didn't stay up until the end of that Astros/Cubs game on Monday, did you? The Angels came on at 7:00 our time, so we tuned in to them, but went back to the 'Stros during commercials. The reason we got cable is so that we could see more games. Maybe 1/3 of them at most are on regular network t.v.

A tad bit hotter than it has been

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 06, 2008
94 F / 34 C
Clear
Dew Point: 51 F / 11 C
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Let's see - something from the archives. This is a house in Huntsville, Alabama. I know nothing about it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5377885

It's hotter than hot

I'm melting
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5378262

[quote]Marylyn, you didn't stay up until the end of that Astros/Cubs game on Monday, did you?[/quote]

No. when they were on the rain delay, I kept turning the radio on to check on them, but I missed when they actually started again. It was a "complete" game when they stopped, so I decided after 9:00 that they must have just called it quit for the day. Rats. Our station plays talk shows during rain delays, and I have a very short tolerance level for them, so I don't leave the radio on.

It was really nice today! The high was only about 93. I could hear thunder in the distance, but we didn't get any rain (not that we needed any today!) We ended up getting about 2 inches of nice steady rain from the tropical storm, which was wonderful. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (15 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 63%
Pressure 30.02 in 1016.7 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH 10 kts
Wind Dir SE 130
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 99 F 37 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 80.1F / 26.7C
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5378283

I think the game was over around 9 PM my time. I don't remember exactly when, but it had gotten to the point where that game and the Angels game were just about in the same inning at the same time. Suring the rain delay, ESPN showed bits and pieces of other games going on at the same time and that was fine. I don't care for talk shows, either.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5378880

I was awakened last night by the strange sound of rain!! First since Early July here. It lasted about 15 minutes but was not coming down fast enough to come in the windows. We got 1/8" according to the rain gage. Better than nothing. Our days are delightful - cool mornings, hot breezy afternoons with blue sky and little white clouds and highs in the 85-96 deg range. Perfect picnic weather. Humidity was good today around 57%. The weatherman said it might rain again next Wednesday - isolated showers. That would be nice.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5379036

It was niicce today!! A little humid what with the rain coming in tonight but not bad at all. Temps were in the mid 80s.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #5379506

se_eds...It's hard to believe we are in the same state. We have had regular rain here all summer. I have a lot of plants still in pots I bought at various sales this spring and early summer that I haven't had to water since early June.

Deb...104!!! Wow, it's a good thing the humidity was low.

marsue...We had 4 or 5 days with out any rain recently and the farmers really were making hay while the sun was shining around here. Every size and shape of bale you can imagine.

Photo: Evening shadows cross a field of ripened wheat.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5379720

I'm always amazed at the colors Mother Nature chooses.

Beautiful shots people.

No rain. Again. Just lots of funny clouds formations. All of which have so far have eluded my camera.

This wasp keeps trying to build a nest in my lantern. We turn her out and get rid of the eggs again and again. I think this is the fourth time. The eggs are bright red.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #5380550

It's cloudy this morning, not raining right now, but I think there's a possibility of rainshowers today. 58F and fairly calm.

marsue - I'm sure bicycling around Iceland could be wonderful in nice weather if you're in good enough shape to make it up all the hills and mountains ... but cycling in 45F - 55F, rain and with the wind in your face is NOT my idea of a good time ;-) lol Also you've got your luggage on the bike with you - I would imagine it to get at least slightly moist when it rains and then sleeping in a tent after all that ... I just couldn't do it. lol When I travel I need a pretty big suitcase to carry everything I need with me ;-) Couldn't fit that on a bike. lol

Sounds miserably hot for most of you - my condolences. So glad I'm here and not there ;-)

There was a report published yesterday on the effects of global warming here in the next century. As good as a few degrees warming sounds in the gardening department - having most of the glaciers dissappear would be hard to take. Hope the world wakes up and finds a solution before that happens ...

Hope you all have a great day! The girls want to go whale watching today. I'm not too keen on going in pouring rain so I'm not so sure that will happen today ... The outlook is good in the wind department though ... It's a 3 hour boat ride, which to me sounds exhausting ... we'll see ...

Another photo from our Sunday drive ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #5380552

more scenery :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5380559

The view on the other side of those mountains - the lake ingvallavatn, Thingvellir national park ... here's a link to wikipedia if you want to know more about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thingvellir

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 11:08 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #5380567

Of course the girls had to get their feet wet ;-) As you can see they're wearing regular summer apparel again - fleece jackets ;-) lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2008
11:15 AM

Post #5380573

Morning! :D It's almost Dyson Dark w/a temp of 65. The high for today is supposed to be around 80. I'm glad that we didn't get the hot temps that they thought we would. Sorry, I didn't get back to you all yesterday...got busy, then got tired.
At Dublin...
Clear: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 70
Visibility: 5 miles
Wind: 3 mph SSW
Sunrise: 6:33 AM
Sunset: 8:23 PM

Deb! The Heat! :-O I'd have to stay in permanently! WAY too hot for me!
Kelli, I LOVE the Alabama home! It reminds me of Huckleberry Finn,or something. Have you done anymore of the "Where Am I"? threads? That was so much fun.
Marylyn, Glad that you got a good rain & nothing more.
Marsue, You're rather hot down there, as well! Love the Verbena. :D
Se_eds, Glad you got some rain, but it sounds as if you need somemore! I, like E_B, have gotten good amounts of rain this year. Not like last year...
E_B, Love the paint brush effect that you picked up in that pic! Marvelous!
Celia, Great pic of the Damsel Fly! I have a pair of 'Common Whites' that have taken over the garden, but I'm not complaining. :D
Kniphofia, Love the Kniphofia! :D
Rann, Looks like the bike riding would be a great thing there...this time of year! Looks like they're relly serious about it. :) I absolutely Love your scenery pics...especially when they have 2 pretty little girls in them! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...D
An X rays' wavelength is 10^-9 meters.

Today's trivia is...
Where is the wettest weather station in the continental United States?
a) Death Valley, CA
b) Wynoochee Oxbow, WA
c) Niagara Falls, NY
d) Norfolk, VA

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:23 AM

Post #5380583

It was dry enough for a picnic but not really warm enough to sit still for very long ... we would have needed wool sweaters for that. I really regretted leaving them at home ... and the hot cocoa would have been nice too. We just had cold soda ... what was I thinking?? lol We were still in that heat wave mode I guess ;-) lol Oh well, live and learn I guess. One of these days I'll get it right. And yes it's August here too ;-) lol

Joey - pretty Astilbe :-) The 45-55F is to be expected this time of year so I'm not so sure it's such a nice thing ;-) lol Unless you enjoy cycling/camping in cold, wet and windy conditions ...

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:29 AM

Post #5380592

So what do you do on a picnic when the hot cocoa and wool sweaters are at home and you're freezing? You hike to the top of the hill, run laps or something like that ;-) lol We did both ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #5380596

Gary is sleeping/pacing a lot, which is part of the whole package, but he is doing well. He really wants to ride his bike and do things he used to do, but cant right now. I feel so badly for him. He is used to being independent in some areas.

Rann I really like the biking picture. You live in such a scenic area, but it sounds like cycling in those conditions are as bad as cycling in this nasty heat and humidity! No thank you! The girls are too cute and so pretty in pink!
Celia Damsels are one of my personal favorite, theyre so pretty.
Knip Ahhh 60sI can almost feel it, but that temp is a long way from us right now! Beautiful kniphofia! I think mine (a gift from Marsue) are getting ready to bloom again.
Kelli I love the porches on the older houses. I want my house to have a wrap around.
Se_eds and Pepper So glad yall got rain and a cool down. Niiice!
E_B Your pictures amaze me! Do you sell them?
Joey Beautiful picture! Im going with C. Probably wrong LOL!

Running late this morning. Alarm didn't go off..grrrrr!

79.0 F / 26.1 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Oh look it's almost 80* at 7:27am yay

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 96. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index readings 102 to 106.

When I got in my car at lunch yesterday the temp was at 100*.

Luna buds

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
11:36 AM

Post #5380612

The view from the top - we ran around the bigger "island" and timed which one was the fastest ... the girls and DH ran a few laps to improve their time. I only did one ...

Sharon - so sorry for Gary. My heart goes out to him. I think he's handling it so well though :-) Pretty Luna bud :-) I'm sure cycling around is fine as long as your luggage and a warm bed await you in a warm house somewhere ;-) Accomodation is horribly expensive here so I'm sure that's the reason people choose this cycling/camping travel arrangement.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5381024

Rann: love your pics! The girls are as pretty as ever! What is it with children and water--they just have to wade in it! LOL I'm with you about wanting a warm bed in a warm house--my camping days are long since past!
se-eds: I wish I could say our days are delightful--we'll have to wait til late Sept. and October before we can say that around here. Glad you got a little bit of rain.
EB: lovely photo of the evening shadows!
Celia: your damselfly made its way to my garden--I saw it this morning! LOL That wasp of yours can pack a painful sting! Ask me how I know!
Kelli: love the house--the only thing better than one porch is two! Where would I find the "Where Am I" threads?
Joey: -the astilbe looks like those fuzzy pipe cleaners and the different textures in your photo really make it interesting. At first, I was going to say C on the trivia but I have changed my mind to B--strictly a guess on my part.
Sharon: in my book, Gary is a hero any day of the week! Bless his heart! That Luna bud is lovely.

We are having a "cool" spell. High today forecast to be 85! A welcome relief!
Today
Scattered T-Storms
High 85F
Precip 50%
Wind: NNW 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 69%
UV Index: 8 Very High
Sunrise: 6:22 AM CT
Record High: 104F (2000)
Tonight:
T-Storms Early
Overnight Low 67F
Precip 40%
Wind: N 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 87%
Sunset: 8:05 PM CT
Record Low: 54F (1997)

Recognize this "monster", Sharon? It appears to be growing babies on the tips of some of the leaves. Can I pick them off and pot them up?

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5381360

46F~~rain ended for now.
rann~loved the trip to Iceland via your camera and tour. So nice.
Deb~ 104 ~ what a difference between one end of the US and the other. Hope it gets better.
In response to the comments about lizards, pet chameleons, geico~~yes, marsue, they leave me a quivering mass:)) Very apt description...thanks for the heads up, MySharona.
Hopefully Gary has a peaceful day; he's become a very special person in our world, too.
se_eds~glad it's rained there; must have smelled so good outdoors.
Yesterday got away and not sure yet what today will bring.
knip~it's a beautiful knip~~
Joey~Niagra Falls.
I'Dd the tiny wildflower: "Glaucous Gentaian" and grows to 6". The ones we saw were not nearly that tall. They grow in Alpine tundra and meadows; we saw them in the tundra near the summit of our hike. Such a pretty tourquise color and was a sweet surprise to find.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5381854

Another beautiful day - temps in the low 80's now - overcast and cloudy, no rain predicted. E_B - your pictures are great!!

We are located 3 miles east of the Susquehanna River in a broad valley between two mountain ranges in a valley averaging 10-25 miles wide. The rain seems to be following the mountain ranges this season. Unusual - on the other hand we had not had any of the hailstorms, high winds and damaging storms that have occurred around us.

We are enjoying August's big red ripe tomatoes, cool cucumbers and watching the hummingbiirds - life is good.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 7, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5381993

se_eds~sounds like a beautiful valley; veggies sound as good.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #5382140

Morning, everyone! I was off and running first thing today. Up early and had breakfast with my neice and her mom. Then, back here to see the new furniture and give my DN that rug from the bedroom. Her son and hubby went camping last night and were home by the time we were done, so they had to leave earlier than I'd hoped. (sigh) Oh, well. I see them a lot. so it's okay.

Gary is amazing to put up with all he does. I envy him his patience. And that Luna is a wonderful color.

Kiska, that's very cute! We don't have anything that color that I can think of here.

Mau, yippee! for you! LOL I would think you could pot those up.

Rann, is your whole country volcanic? I see evidence of it in all your pics, which are lovely and amazing. I can't get over how big your girls are getting.

Joey, I'm going to guess B on the trivia. I love the contrast of the astilbe against the wall. Was that planned or a lucky accident?

84F with 92 for later. I already have the cooler on. Tiny clouds on the horizon.
Feels like: 84F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↓
Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 33%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:30 AM
Sunset: 8:35 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Buckthorn berries.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5382149

se_eds: yummmmm, tomatoes! Your valley sounds like an idyllic place to live.

I whined too soon--we have had a lovely rain shower this morning and our temperature is a balmy 76! Life is good, indeed!! :o))

edited to add: Morning, Celia! or rather "afternoon"--it's after noon, here. :o))

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 12:42 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5382295

Celia - thanks. Yes the whole country is volcanic. We're situated on a "hot spot" which is how the country was formed.

We actually went whale watching today despite the rainy outlook. We had a great time and spotted lots of Minke whales.

Leaving the harbor in Reykjavik :

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5382328

The shoreline:

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5382343

The only whale I managed to get a photo of - they were pretty hard to catch - they'd disappeared again before the camera had focused.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5382359

it did rain a bit and we did get wet - but still had a good time. Hildur Eva didn't like to have to wear a life west at all ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5382370

I haven't done "Where am I" in ages. I've been kind of busy to keep up with it, plus the topo maps online are not free anymore.

Rann, it's amazing how you (all Icelanders - human, animal, and plant) have adapted to the weather.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5382522

LOL That girl makes the funniest faces! She too cute! Looks like you had a good time regardless of the weather. Nice shot of the whale.

I got this a minute ago. I heard a 'peep' outside and thought a hummer was on the feeder. I missed the first one. She was on the feeder trying to get the water. Female house finch.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2008
7:36 PM

Post #5382606

House finches eat us out of house and home when it comes to sugar water. That reminds me, I better fill up the feeder. DH isn't here to do it.

Today's photo from the archives - Mono Lake

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5382611

Got her! She's so heavy, she's hanging sideways.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5382663

Rann: Hildur Eva's expression says it all! How fun to be able to go whale watching!
Celia: it seems that all kinds of critters like that sweet nectar.
Kelli: what a great shot of Mono Lake!

still overcast here--we may very well get more rain. :o))
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5383546

Got very cloudy and hot today - in the mid 80's. About 1-1/2 hour ago I got Emerg. Weather warnings for a tornado in my area. It was spotted across the river and - like all the other rain storms headed southeast about 35 miles south of us. It never touched the ground, but those folks got 1/2 in of rain per hour. We did get 1/4" of rain but missed the high winds and a lot of the lightening. Now 72 degrees, sunny and beautiful.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5383568

We had a nasty storm move through just before 5pm. Thunder and lightening every where, but it brought RAIN!! YAY! 1.5. Thank you for all of your support for Gary hes special.

Marsue Yepthats donkey ears! The buds will begin to grow roots. Pull them off and pot them up!
Kiska That is the prettiest color for a wildflower. It stands out nicely in the moss.
Se_eds Sounds like a beautiful area you live in! Homegrown veggies are the best!
Rann What a neat way to spend a day! I put the same face on as Hildur Eva about wearing life vests! I cant stand them, but wear them anyway. They are a hideous fashion statement LOL!
Celia Cute house wren!
Kelli Mono Lake is beautiful

75.6 F / 24 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 F / 21 C
Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F / 24 C
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2800 ft / 853 m
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Some storms may be strong or severe through the evening...with locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Lady Margaret

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5383785

Still nice out but no rain. It all went south of us. :~(
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5383793

Sharon: We must've had twin storms! We also had one blast through just after 5 and it left exactly 1.5" of rain. Coincindence? Hmmmmm. :)
It followed me home from work. This is our back screen porch during the rain. If you look close, you can see my Bird of Paradise getting battered by the wind.
Guessing the trivia answer is WA. or is it a trick question and it's really Niagara?
Rann: Love the look on that face! I hate wearing a life jacket, too.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2008

Post #5383897

58F~had thunder today~very unusal but rather exciting; then it rained briefly, again.
kelli~how nice to see Mono Lake. Have you been there since being refilled? Last time I was there, the Tufas were way out in the dry lakebed; heard they are now in water.
se_eds~glad all's well and that you had a bit of rain.
kwanjin~you did get her~nice photo.
MySharona~ your lovely lady margaret is so pretty.
Deb~looks like a fantastic downpour.
Another tiny Alpine flower we found on the hike up Hatcher Pass.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5384187

Cute little violet! I haven't been to Mono Lake since they have let it fill. The picture was taken in 1992 or 1994.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
3:19 AM

Post #5384416

Nice little flower and a great color, Kiska.

So much rain and we keep getting missed. Are we lucky or not? Hmm... Tomorrow's forecast calls for a 40% chance of it.

Pretty, Sharon. Is it a passionflower?

Deb, did your BoP make it okay?

We did get some neat looking clouds. It's a cool 81 with a breeze through the house.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
6:49 AM

Post #5384977

I wish I could send you some of our rain! We've had heavy showers pretty much every day in August so far, and more forecast for today. My lawn is waterlogged..
zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
7:16 AM

Post #5385001

Here's the weather data for July and August in Fort Worth, Texas. This (photo) is how we stay cool. I guess the hot dry summers are a trade off for milder winters.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/monthly/76133?month=-1

http://www.weather.com/outlook/homeandgarden/garden/monthly/76133?month=0

Thumbnail by zacattack

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5385168

Deb - We must have had twin storms! Not sure what the rain total is (DysonDark), but Ill find out later. Thats just what it looked like here!

I must have been tired last night to post that fuzzy picture of Lady Margaret! LOL!

Kiska Pretty little flower!
Celia- Yes, passion vine, shes huge now. Cool clouds!

Zacattack Nice! You have a diving boardnot allowed here anymore (at least thats what Ive been told). I know people that have them (older houses) and they are terrified an insurance adjuster will find out, theyll be forced to remove the boards.

75.6 F / 24.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

High 86. WHAT?!!! That's a nice little cool down...no complaints, but where did this treat come from?

This is the picture I meant to post!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
10:44 AM

Post #5385195

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy this morning, fairly calm and 57F. Sunny as I'm typing this.

Sharon - Great photo of Lady M - she's such a pretty, vibrant color :-) I think that was the problem Hildur Eva had with the life west - she thought it looked awful! LOL She said it made her look fat ... and I just thought WHAT?? She's 5! Where did that come from? (that would be her older sister, which I'm sure picked that phrase up from her school mates ... oh dear)

Deb - I love that photo of your screened porch in the rain. Looks like a downpour - glad you got the rain :-)

Kelli - Well, people have been living here for a little over 1000 years and most of that time it was survival of the fittest ;-) I find it equally amazing how people can adapt to the heat. I didn't manage to do that in the 7 years I lived in Florida. Then it's taken me a loooooong time to adapt back to the cold - I'm just now getting there I think ;-)
lol Love the photo of Mono Lake :-)

zac - Hi! With those temperatures I think I'd never get out of that pool ;-) lol

Celia- cute birds :-) How cool to get a photo of them :-)

This was on the news last night - thought you might find it interesting. It's a story on one of the most hazardous roads in the country which has been popular with travelers this summer ... not for the faint of heart that's for sure - but the scenery is amazing. Great views :-) They didn't say if it was a one way road - but I do wonder what you'd do if you met a car going in the other direction ... http://dagskra.ruv.is/streaming/sjonvarpid/?file=4398011/13

A puffin from yesterday

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #5385692

Good Morning! :D The sun is shining brightly & it promises to be a beautiful day, w/a high in the 70's. At present the temp is 59.Me & JW are hangin' out & plan on doing some outside yard work. I don't know whether to put him in his walker or put him in his little play pen. I may just alternate between the 2. It won't be long before he is walking, so I need to get stuff done Before! :D Once he starts walking ...I'll be running!. When we're on the deck & he's in the walker - I have to run already! DH just laughs at me!
At Dublin...
Clear: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 88%
Wind: 5 mph NW
Sunrise: 6:33 AM
Sunset: 8:22 PM

I'll try to get back to you all after while. Maybe when the little critter is down for a nap. I've been trying to type this for over an hour.

The answer to the trivia is...B
Wynoochee Oxbow has an average annual rainfall of 144.44 inches. A total 86 times greater than the average 1.68 inches for Death Valley, CA

Today's trivia is...
Q.What hurricane struck on January 2, 1955?
a) Hurricane Celine
b) Hurricane Sylvia
c) Hurricane Alice
d) Hurricane Constance

Later! ;D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5385717

Deb: that was some storm--hope your BoP made it without too much damage.
Kiska: very pretty flower--looks like a violet to me, too. The little turquoise flower is very pretty, as well. It never ceases to amaze me what beauty can pop up in such a short growing season as you have up there.
Celia: that is a neat looking cloud!
Zac: welcome! What a pretty little redhead you have there! Your "froggy" in the background seems to be relaxing, too. LOL Your temps in July and August appear to be about the same as ours were, although we have been a little cooler than you the last few days.
kniphofia: It would be nice if we could spread the rain around more evenly, wouldn't it?
Sharon: Lady Margaret is looking very lady-like! Glad you got some rain. We've cooled down, too. Our high today is supposed to be 90.

Today
Partly Cloudy
High 90F
Precip 20%
Wind: NE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 56%
Sunrise: 6:23 AM CT
Record High: 102F (1980)
Tonight:
Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 65F
Precip 10%
Wind: ENE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Sunset: 8:04 PM CT
Record Low: 51F (1989)

Hummer at the feeder this morning

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5385751

Joey: we cross-posted. Hooray! I finally got a trivia question right! LOL I'm guessing D on the latest trivia question.
Rann: I forgot to tell you that I watched the video--understood every word! NOT! LOL The scenery is ruggedly beautiful. I think one must surely have to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle to traverse that "road".

Another view of the hummer

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5385771

Good morning! It's going to be another day to stay inside here. Or in zacattack's pool! :-)

Joey, we had a bouncy "exersaucer" for the bunnies instead of a walker. More bouncing, less running! LOL They both loved it. (This is probably where the bunny nickname came from... They still both bounce a lot.) I loved the exersaucer... It never tipped over - and they bounced hard! Eventually they could climb in and out of it themselves, and it still never tipped over. It was easy to clean, too. I was sad when we finally put it away, and then eventually gave it away. (sniff, sniff...)

That's a cute puffin, Rann! I couldn't get the video to play on your link.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (23 min ago)
Temperature 78 F 26 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 29.99 in 1015.7 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear

Seven Day Forecast Issued 3:00am CDT -- Fri, Aug 8, 2008
Today Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 90s. West winds 5 to 10 mph in the morning becoming east in the afternoon. Heat index readings 103 to 106.

The little bunny - about 4 years ago. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5385787

Oh, never mind... The video worked fine that time. :-) The views are gorgeous!! But I sure wouldn't want to drive on that road!!

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 10:38 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5386208

That was very scary, Rann! LOL I needed to jump start on my heart this morning! Thanks.

Your passionflower is a great color, Sharon. I've tried twice to grow them and no luck. Maybe too much attention? Do they require much or do you just leave it alone and let it do it's thing?

I would love a pool! LOL Looks very refreshing.

Cute little hummer, Mau.

Thanks, Knip! We got the rain you sent! LOL Hopefully, they didn't hold any back in Customs.

75F with 87 for later. We nice after all the heat.

Dewpoint: 57
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 13 mph SSE
Sunrise: 6:31 AM
Sunset: 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5386651

50F~ sunny with more blue than clouds~guess I'd better get the camera:))
Sorry not being able to comment personally, but enjoyed the pics and will take a look now at the video. Sounds great.
Kiska
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5386743

Celia - you're most welcome ;-) lol Nothing beats a little thrill early in the morning. lol

Kiska - yay! You have sun :-) Enjoy it while it lasts :-)

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. There are quite a few roads here that are not for the faint of heart ... but usually the scenery makes up for the bad road. Not sure I'd have the guts to travel that particular road although I am intrigued ...

We just watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Selma was amazed by the numer of people who took part in the ceremony and remarked that every person in China must be in that stadium. I told her that there were actually quite a large number of people that weren't. lol Such crowds are hard for us to comprehend - if 10 people get together here we have a crowd ;-) lol

It's been mostly cloudy today, but no rain so far.

On our Sunday drive we decided to follow a trail up to a lake that we've been wanting to visit for a few years. It was a pretty rugged trail to say the least, it was 4 miles to the lake - a seemingly short drive that turned out to be a 2 hour round trip (including a very short stop ... )

A "smooth" part of the trail ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5386754

A smaller lake on the way that we stoppe by for a while for the mandatory wading in ... ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5386778

The end of the trail. We didn't go further although the trail did continue, it was late, the girls had had their fill of bumpy rides and we did have to go back the same way ... but there it is. The name of the lake is Hvalvatn (Whale lake) and the mountain behind it is Hvalfjall (Whale mountain). Behind the mountain is a very large and deep fjord named Hvalfjrur (Whale fjord) which I imagine both the mountain and lake are named after.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5386786

Going back down ... it's hard to tell on the photo but the right side of the road is considerably higher than the left side so the car was tilting more than I felt comfortable with ...

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5386791

Bumpy ride, indeed. It looks like fun, though.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5387104

It was :-) I love exploring out of the way places ...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5387336

Great trip, rann~thanks for taking us, too. And, the sun is still shining here:))
I'd forgotten to mention that another volcano is erupting; that's 3 now active on the Aleutian Chain.
Joey~how's the yard work going? JW must be close to walking and you're right; there's no slowing down at that point. I've found that perhaps trying to keep w/gkids is beneficial; sure keeps one active:)) I have 4 gkids under 9 years old with me today.
This is a link to the Alaska Volcano Observatory: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/
I didn't bother to walk up to the snow; there'll be more later::)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5387471

Kwanjin & Marsue: the BOP looks a little worse for wear today, but no major damage that i can see.
Zacattack: It would be soooo nice to have a pool to jump into!

Sharon: Your Lady M is always so pretty! I planted my first passiflora this year, it's about 3 ft.
tall. I don't know if they flower the first year or not, but it'd make be soooo happy if it did.

Rann: OMG so cool, you have Puffins! When i was a kid, I asked for a pet Puffin. Didn't get one, tho. (Your girls are truly "water babies". ;-> )
Joey: I'm guessing, C, Sylvia

Hot today, but feels downright pleasant. The storm must've taken some of the heat away. High today didn't quite reach 90F. Sunny and breezy now. A tad sticky. Chance of a t-shower, but not a big chance.
Deb

'nother shot from yesterday afternoon as that storm was following me home from work.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5388374

It rained. The day started cool and beautiful, temps in the high 70's, low 80's. A pop up thunderstorm occured and brought us 2/4 on an inch of rain in 15 minuted. WOW we are ecstatic. Currently 69 deg. Warmer tomorrow.

I have pink, red and white sweet peas climbing the clematis vines.

Thumbnail by se_eds

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5388598

Kelli...Love that shot of Mono Lake. They have let it fill back up? That's good news. The last I knew it had been drained almost to the point of no return.

rann...Applause, applause, clap, clap, clap! Great photo tour! Cool video too!

Deb...Now that's some nasty looking weather!

Absolutely gorgeous day here in NW Pa. It's now 65F under clearing skies, low humidity and rapidly falling Dyson Darkness. It rained last night and again around noon. I hadn't checked the rain gauge for a while and found it almost overflowing. It's a 5 inch gauge and it had 5 1/2 inches in it! Low 50's forecast for tonight and mostly clear and sunny tomorrow. Looks like a long bike ride for me!

I didn't manage to get any photos of the fantastic clouds this afternoon so here's a fireworks photo taken last month.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5388609

se_eds...Sweet peas climbing clematis vines. Great idea. I'm going to try that next year.

early_bloomer

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5388926

Hey Everybody!! (((waving))) I finally made it back! The only thing that I got done while JW took a nap was to clean the house. SO I just waited for his mommy to get home before I did anything outside. Actually DH & myself took JW out on the deck for a good laugh. Then after Emily came & got him we both set into working on the yard. Then I got to laugh some more! :D I'm always going next door to visit DB & DSIL; George said "Now is your chance to go visiting." HA!!! The lawn mower messed up & he was sending me next door to borrow a socket! LOL! - not sugar, not flour, but a socket! After 2 trips over there DB finally followed me back to the house & together they got it fixed. By that time it was almost to late to do what I wanted to really do...I have thoughts of moving lots of flowers (come fall). I have a new (large) bed in mind, I was gonna plot & mark, but I have a lot of it in my head & I suppose that is where it will stay until next week end.
The temp today was great! It got to 77 & at the moment it's 63, Dyson Dark & the night critters are going strong. What a wonderful sound! Actually it would be a great night to be on the river fishin'!

Marylyn, That contraption looks pretty neat, but a walker will have to do, I guess. He's already trying to stand alone (for just a few seconds at a time). My but he's a busy little fella! I don't remember Garrett or Emily Ever being that busy! I think that he'll be like Jack & run every where! Maybe I'm just older & feeling the strain more. :)

Marsue! Yeah!! You did it! :DI have a feeling that you will get some more right, too. :) 'Love the hummer views! I have been trying to take pics of mine, but I haven't gotten any worth keeping yet. There were plenty out there when we were laughing at JW, but I certainly wasn't interested then! :D

Kiska, I think that 4! would totally wear me out! At this point I have to be ever-vigilant. Can I come up & go hiking w/ you all? The scenery! :-O Those boulders look Huge! Well, you know that I could live up there, but DH would have no part of it. Too much LA blood in his veins. He's a flat-lander, for sure.

Deb, those clouds are nasty looking! No wonder you had the downpour! Great Shots!

Rann, Looks like you were on some rough terrain & the video! Beautiful! I would go on that road in a heart beat if I could see something like that! :-O To tell the truth there used to be some roads around here somewhat like that, but they have closed them down to 'thru-traffic".

Se_eds, Glad you got some more rain! :D And your Sweet Peas are Gorgeous! I sniched some seed pods from one of my neighbors yesterday, so maybe I'll have them next year. ;)

E_B, Great shot (as always) was that on the 4th? :D Did you use a filter for that shot? (just curious)

Well, I had better go. I'll come back tomorrow evening to give the trivia answer (state fair tomorrow)
Have a great week end!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5389187

Ahh! Your yard makes me think of rain. (How to do you borrow a socket? Those things are attached to the house.)

Se_eds, I have never been able to get sweet peas to germinate. Is there some kind of trick to it?

DH says that gasoline is $3.45 a gallon in Tulsa.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #5389814

Marylyn: Those "exersaucers" certainly are a great thing! Little bunny looked happy in hers.
Celia: nice rainbow! :o))
Rann: loved the tour! Yes, indeed, wading is mandatory!--especially if one is pretty in pink! LOL
Kiska: that ash cloud certainly was ominous looking! 4 grandkids under 9 at one time! You are brave! However, I seem to recall having done that myself--my gkids loved those bucket of beads where they could make different shapes by putting them on a template. When they were finished I would iron them (literally) and Voila!--a neat looking coaster or whatever you wanted to use it for. I can't tell you how many of those things I have stuck away in drawers around here! LOL It sure kept them occupied, though.
EB: great fireworks shot!
Se_eds: I absolutely love the color of that sweet pea! I'm usually not much for pink flowers but that one--WOW!
Deb: I'm glad your BoP had no major damage. Do you bring yours inside in the winter?
Joey: waving back at'cha! :o)) Yep, JW will be giving you a merry chase once he starts walking! Glad your DH and DB got the lawnmower fixed.
Kelli: [quote](How to do you borrow a socket? Those things are attached to the house.) [/quote]
LOLOL

It's 64 here right now--wonderful! We haven't had a temp that low in quite some time!
High today forecast to be 90. The "cool front" continues! LOL

Sunrise this morning

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5389819

A closer view:

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5390322

Very interesting, Kiska. Thanks for the link. The pics there are great.

Deb, your pic looks like a shot they take just before the cyclone hits. Scary! LOL

Sweetpeas, daylillies...great!!! Love 'em!

Joey, I have grand plans, too, but they never seem to get done on MY schedule.

Very pretty, Mau. Pau is doing well? How about Janey?

74F with 90 for later. Maybe more rain, maybe no.
Feels like: 74F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 55
Humidity: 52%
Wind: 9 mph S
Sunrise: 6:32 AM
Sunset: 8:32 PM

Coreopsis, Moonbeam.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5390432

Good morning, Celia! Yes, Pau is well and Janie is doing quite well--she's driving again and has gone back to work at the Mother's Day Out at her church 2 days a week. Thanks for asking. How's your back? Lovely Moonbeam.

Chrysler Imperial

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5390763

46F and raining~
hopefully it's going stop before the outdoor b'day party for a young grandson. They're planning a "Pirate" party complete w/treasure hunt
se_eds~I love the sweet peas/such a wonderful link to memories. Very nice.
M2Keep~what a wonderful day it turned out to be for you. Playing and laughing w/JW would be a great way to spend time. Hope you can come take a hike someday:) Your driveway looks very pretty. Keep that new flower bed in mind; would love to see it when finished.
marsue~so glad Janey doing well. . Your sunrise pics are beautiful.
kwanjin~the ash clouds remain away from this area, so that's good for us. Sure makes a mess of everything when they come this way. It's happened a few times; I have a small bottle of it I collected.
Gas is dropping ;here, too. Yesterday was at $4.44; down from 4.51 last week.
Gson getting kisses from mom; he fell and broke his arm last week and he's the one with the b'day party today.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5392076

Nice and cool today. Feels like low 70s. It's great!! Cloudy and we had some rain come thru about 1pm but it didn't last long.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5392538

Mau, we had a nieghbor once who drove a rose like that. Pretty.

Our gas prices have not dropped. Nat'l average is under $4.00. Ours are $4.25 pg.

Kiska, my brother in OR has ash from Mt. St. Helens still in his yard from 1980. GS doing well with his arm? He looks like he's doing okay.

We had rain again! Yea! Well...for 2 minutes.

Caryopteris flower buds. Bluebeard.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5392572

Sweet Pea germination. I just soak the seed overnight and plant in plastic dixie cups - then carefully dump out the small plant into good soil. Works for me. They don't like having their roots disturbed and prefer cool summers - LOL - it has been hotter than hades here this summer.
Gasoline is down to 3.69 here. But I am not in a mood to go anywhere,

With having some rain and lots of cooler weather I am really in gear to garden!!!

Pink Super Spider was sent to me the Sunday before Hurricane Katrina hit the mainland, from a lady in Mississippi.

Thumbnail by se_eds

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5392579

Very pretty. :~)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5392706

Kiska: I hope the rain stopped before the party got started. Your DGS and my DGS could compare casts--my DGS has a green one--they would be colorful together! LOL
Pepper: glad you are getting some cooler weather.
Celia: "drove a rose like that"! LOLOL
Se_Eds: the sweet peas wouldn't like our summers--not cool enough for them down here, I'm afraid. Lovely Pink Super Spider!
Oh, my, I'm not going to even tell y'all what gas is down here except to say that it is cheaper here than any of the prices mentioned above. :o))) It has been going down all week. Hooray! I wonder how long this is going to last?

Currently 80 and DH just came inside from the back porch and said it just started raining. Hooray again!

Pink Petunia

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5392881

I think we can plant sweetpeas in august and enjoy until spring, but I'm not sure. I have sapphire blue sweetpea seeds and recall a long bloom here.
I also pine for se_eds home grown tomatoes.
I might see if I can buy some from her.
That might be a marketplace item for the time right before frost.
Tomatoes still taste good ripened on the window seal.
Enjoying all those pictures
Was below 90º today.
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5394343

We awoke to a light rain this morning--must have been raining off and on all night though I didn't hear any thunder so it must have been a light rain--no thundershower. Our high today is forecast to be 77!!! That is practically unheard of for August in Arkansas! I'm not complaining--I'll take it! LOL

Today
Heavy T-Storms
High 77F
Precip 100%
Wind: ESE 10 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
UV Index: 4 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:24 AM CT
Record High: 101F (1980)
Tonight:
Heavy T-Storms
Overnight Low 66F
Precip 80%
Wind: E 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 97%
Sunset: 8:01 PM CT
Record Low: 54F (1996)

Celia: I told you that your damselfly made its way to my house! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5394840

46F not raining; Sunrise: 5:51 Sunset: 10:10 length of visisble light: 18hr16m. Loss of daylight: 5m39s
Snowed on the mountains, again. It's now snowed at least once every month for a year. Generally, no snow in June/July.
Marsue~the damselfly fits beautifully with the colors of the flowers.
Sugarweed~se_eds tomatos sure do sound great. I love sweet peas, too.
6:30 this morning. At the end of our road, fresh snowfall on Byers Peak.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5395002

Mornin'! :D We had a wonderful day at the fair yesterday, but it was super crowded. The weather was great, which is unusual. It's generally too hot or it's raining. It was 75 w/a little breeze, which was ideal! We didn't get home last night until after 11:00 & were rather "pooped". Blake Shelton was in concert there, but we just stood outside the grand stand & listened...well DB & DSIL went into the grand stand to sit & listen, but JW was too tired, so we only listened to a few songs then went home. He did very well, tho (for a little one). He loved all of the animals, especially the sheep.
At the moment it's 69 & sunny. We may have some showers late this evening, but who knows for sure. ;)
At Dublin...
Clear: 75F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 61
Humidity: 61%
Wind: 8 mph W
Sunrise: 6:35 AM
Sunset: 8:20 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Kelli, Yes, it had just rained before I took that pic. Thanks for the chuckle. :) Were you thinking of 'soffit'? That's what I have that's attached...(sorry, couldn't help myself :D )
Marsue, Yea...I'll be running my legs off pretty soon! Stunning morning pics! I've always heard "Red sky in morning, sailors warning", but glad that your weather is cooling down! And love the Petunia! They are one of my very fave annuals. And I agree w/Kiska about the Damsel Fly...it matches (in color)
Celia, Glad someone else gets things done like me. :) If I had all the time in the world, then maybe I could have already landscaped my entire yard, but it's like DH says..."It's an on-going project". He thinks of it as work...I think of it as fun or total enjoyment.
Kiska, How did the party go? I certainly hope that the rain subsided before the party! Your little fella looks as if he is in right much pain...the ice pack is bigger than his arm! I'm hoping the pain is gone by now. btw, Gorgoeus snow cap! Wow!
Se_eds, I Love the Super Spider! Gorgeous!

Hope everyone is 'cooling' down...

The answer to the trivia is...C
Hurricane Alice struck with winds measured to 85 mph.

Today's trivia is...
When a severe Thunderstorm struck Goldsboro, North Carolina, what were the winds measured at?
a) 100 mph
b) 112 mph
c) 146 mph
d) 174 mph

Have a Great Day!
Joey
(from the state fair)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5395027

Bright, Sunny, Upper 70's or lower 80's. Electrical work in the apartment today.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5395034

Kiska: lovely snow-capped mountain top.
Joey: Ahhhh, what a pretty "coverlet" on that "flowerbed". Your state fair is considerably earlier than ours which is usually the first week in October.
Guessing A on the trivia.

edited to add: Hi, Dyson! guess you are still getting settled in the new apartment?

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 11:13 AM

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
4:21 PM

Post #5395046

Yeah! Dyson! You have your 'hook up'! :D Glad that you're back.

Marsue, thanks, it's my favorite place to go when I get there. It gives me lots of ideas. ;) Our fair is set before we start getting fall weather, I suppose. We may have a good frost by October. We have had snow the end of October.

one more...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5395324

64F here with clouds and sun and a nice breeze. Checked the radar map and it looks like there are some big thunderstorms crossing the lake to the north of us. It rained most of the night again here.

Joey...A local nursing home puts on fireworks for the residents every summer. I didn't do anything with filters. The smoke was hanging in the air and glowing from the fireworks exploding above. Better get some good running shoes!

se_eds...I like the pink spider.

Sharona...Thanks. I do sell photos occasionally. It's strictly a hobby though. I also present quite a few programs for camera clubs and photography conventions in the northeastern US.

I had perfect conditions for my bike ride last evening. I got a late start and had to push it pretty hard but still managed to snap a few photos of the beautiful clouds and some of the cardinal flowers that are quite common in ditches and wetlands around the area.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 1:40 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5395328

The clouds were gorgeous!

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5395333

To the north the sky was dark and ominous. I was hoping to make it back home before it rained.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5395565

Sidney asked me to start a new August thread...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/888637/

early_bloomer

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 2:38 PM
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 13, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5407514

Enjoyed your photos, everyone.

Rann, that treacherous road in the video, maybe the people who live there call each other to see if anyone else is going to be on the road that day;-) I'm also glad to see someone else uses a little stool for long periods in the garden.

No photos to post but it's so hot and dry here that the grass is crispy and crunchy when you walk on it. We're getting a little rain today but not nearly enough. I'll take it, though.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5407679

Thanks Hemophobic and welcome :-) I couldn't be without that little stool when gardening ;-) lol Back to the new thread now ...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America