Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Herbs: MED: Black Drawing Ointment

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 5, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5353857

When I was up in Pennsylvania last year, I went to King's Herb Nook just a little north of Gettysburg and got a little jar of Black Drawing Ointment and it is some powerful stuff. A friend of mine was bitten at the base of her thumb by a brown recluse (she saw the spider so it's not 'probably' a brown recluse) and her doctor kind of shook his head and told her the relative horror she was in for. I gave her some of the BDO and she bandaged it onto her hand and THE NEXT DAY the bite was almost healed. I told her to go show her doctor but don't know whether she has or not. It's really excellent stuff. I think I have a recipe for it at home; if I can find it I'll post it.

Anybody else use this stuff?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5353904

http://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Recipe_for_Black_Drawing_Salve

found this when googling "black drawing ointment recipe" -- probably a good base, but this stuff I bought had mullein and comfrey and all kinds of things. I'll keep looking.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2008 11:19 AM
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
4:20 PM

Post #5353913

http://www.industryinet.com/~ruby/dr_christopher_healing_salve.html

This is a more herbal one.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5353931

http://agmap.psu.edu/Businesses/4084

Here's the place I bought that little jar of it. It's a family-run thing, and I can tell you they must be doing something right. There were two girls who waited on us, and they had absolutely the most beautiful skin I've ever seen on a human being. Very nice folks -- chickens right behind the shop!
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #5365730

Did the Black Drawing Salve that you bought from King's Herb Nook list the ingredients? "Black Salve" is a wide category. Some of the ones I've seen are charcoal & clay based similar to the "black drawing ointment" recipe you posted. These are helpful in pulling venoms and other toxins out of the affected areas.

Many black salves are made with Bloodroot (Sanguinaria). I believe Dr. Christopher's black salve origininally called for Bloodroot but that ingredient was changed to Poke due to the controvery over Bloodroot.

We use a bloodroot type of black salve for removing moles, warts and skin tags. This type of black salve has been in use for centuries and is considered an escharotic drawing salve (meaning it creates a scab as as the first stage of healing) and has to be used correctly to avoid problems.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5366905

I meant to look at the label over the weekend but didn't. I think it has pine tar, and I do recall a list of herbs including mullein and comfrey. I'll make myself a note.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America