Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Ornamental Gourds: Looking for Devils Claws

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 40, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5353947

Hey gang,
Is there anyone out there that would like to share a few large devils claws with me. I have some special request to fulfill. If you do could you please email me and let me know what we can work out.
Thanks
Jan
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5353963

Gee, Jan, I hope you're talking about some sort of gourd.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5354052

Jan,
How soon do you need them? I've got some packed away and don't know where to start looking for them. It may take me awhile.
A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5354154

Gourd, No great hurry. I am so glad to find some. I have looked all over the internet and God only knows where else. Before I left AZ I had a grocery bag full of them that I gave to someone at Daves. Didn't realize that I may want them later. Oh well, Let me know when you find them and We can set up some kind of trade. How would you like a small pine needle basket in trade depending on what you have available? Let me know.

And to brigidlily, No its not a gourd. Its a claw that comes from the devils claw plant. I use them in my basket making and to make dream catches out of them.
Thanks,
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5354162

Alrighty, I'll start looking for them.. I'll let you know when i find them..

A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5354168

Thank you so much.
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2008
6:05 PM

Post #5354350

Well, you will not believe the boxes I have... we moved from Southern Cal almost two years ago and I have about 8 huge boxes with nothing but dried gourds that I couldn't leave behind. They were in the last box I checked of course. Good thing my DH is so organized, he had all the boxes labeled.

.. there are about two dozen in there, how many do you need? A couple got broken, also, they look really grey so they may need to be dipped in a leather wash stain to darken them some. I think I got them sun faded in the first place. I won't be able to mail till next week some time though.

A.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 1, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5354361

P.S. here, there is a lady here on DG that was trading them, Janetlee50 I think was her name, she had them growing in her area.. it is somewhere here on this forum that she posted some, she may or may not be a member, but can recieve Dmails.. she may be interested in sending you some in bulk for plants or whatever.

I got mine from her.

A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5354736

Well, I will take what ever you want to send. I don't have any plants to trade yet as that was why I was trading with pine needle baskets. Let me know what you are willing to part with and we can trade or postage or what ever. LMK
Jan
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5356040

I will be seeing Farizona tomorrow Jan...we're going to the Peach Mania Festival in Wilcox...she is to meet me there...I'll Dmail her tonight and ask if she has any...she used to keep me supplied. Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #5356727

Thank you all. I will be set for another couple of years with all of these. I plan on making the dream catchers and selling them in our Wednesday street market. This is really a quaint little town. They have huge flower baskets hanging from all the street lamp posts and wonderful metal sculptures and mosaics all over town. I will have to do a down town tour so you can all see what this place is like. The only bad thing is when the mill does its thing and the wind shifts sending this horendous smell like sewer that only last for a couple of hours in the early morning. Not all the time, just about once a week. Other then that it is a sweet little one street town.
Roadrunner, it is alot like Tombstone in the fact that it has most of the businesses on one street. Politics are alot better though here.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5357047

Glad the politics are better!

Ms J. A. Jance will be doing a book signing in Tombstone about now...with Sheriff Devers...she has a new book out that is set in my wonderful Coronado National Memorial...but she got it wrong...and calls it Coronado National Monument. I love her books so much taht I will forgive her for the error though. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5357092

A - on the broken ones . . . are any of the seeds available?
Nichole
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #5357251

Syrumani, Sometimes when they are in transet seeds come out. I would be happy to send the seeds to you. I just want the head and claws.
I know that you were asking Gourd but I remember when I sent mine to someone there were lots of seeds in the bottom.
Jan
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
5:24 AM

Post #5357257

Gourd, I will take all that you want to send. Thank you so much and you didn't tell me how much or postage or what.
Thanks again
Jan
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5357683

Great! I'll send you a sase today, so by the time you get the box from Gourd, it will be there waiting!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 2, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5358071

Oh guys, I don't think there are any seeds in there, most were already open when I got them and then, I took the seeds out of the other ones.. I'll check and see if any remained.. Also, I should have at least a couple of seeds somewhere in my box, but won't be able to get those boxes until the beginning of Sept or mid Sept.. they are tiling my house and I've had to pack everything up in the garage and it is too hard to get to. So sometime in Sept, Nicole, remind me about them.

Jan, I can send you a dozen and would love a pine needle basket, hopefully it sounds good to you.. I really like your baskets, otherwise I'd send them for sase. You really need to get a hold of Janetlee50, she has the kids go get the pods in the fields where you could possibly get several..

Antoinette

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5358602

I can do that!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2008
5:46 AM

Post #5361305

That would be great gourd. I will keep an eye out for them. I have two baskets ahead of you but one is nearly done. Then I will start on yours.
Thanks again
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 3, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5364310

I'm in no hurry for the basket.. the box is packed and ready for tomorrow or the next day, but the main thing is I got it packed..lol

I'll let you know for sure when it goes out.

A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5364324

Thats great, here is a pic of one that I just finished today.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5364326

One more pic

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 3, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5364333

That is just beautiful.. I like that it has a lid.. for treasures/trinkets. Very nice.
A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5413382

Here is a pic of one of my smaller dream catchers.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5413455

SSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5413538

Very nice, Jan...I sold 5 this week to a couple of people I work with at Coronado. Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5413603

I made these two yesterday

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5413607

And the second one

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:39 PM

Post #5413619

Another view of the second one

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5413628

Is that an actual duck's head?
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5413636

These are from the claws that I got from Gourd. Thanks gourd. Your basket will be done this week. Feeling better. It wasn't shingles just a bacterial infection in the orbital region. JUST! I still look a mess but this is going to heal much faster then if it were shingles. YEA!
Jan
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5413642

Eheheheheh, No brigidlily, its a devils claw that is wrapped with waxed linen thread. ROTFLOL

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 8:46 AM
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5413774

Love them, Jan...I may copy some of them...LOL Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5414104

Hey. You scared me! It's really gorgeous, but I have to admit I was a little appalled at first sight!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5414259

You know it kind of looks like a ducks head but it is only a seed pod. I never looked at it like that but I can understand why you thought it may be a duck. Too funny.
Thanks Jo, it would be a compliment for you to copy mine
as I first learned to make them with the claws from the one that you gave to me.
Jan
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5414725

Jan...You always |improve" things...but you are a true artist...I'm a cop[y cat type person. Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5422707

Gourd, here is a few photos of the completed basket. The top is a dreamcatcher made from the devils claws.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5422710

another view

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5422716

Last view before sending

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5430897

awesome.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

August 28, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5476706

Oh, I got it in the mail a couple of days ago and just connected our computer... It is absolutely gorgeous.. I could never have imagined how to work with these. I love it, I just now realized you could open it and lift the lid. DH really loved it also.

I also signed up for a Gourd class and a stained glass class (beginner's classes) and got some more devils claws about 5 more, about three of them do have the little claws on top and I was told that they grow wild here in Southern NM, so if and when I can get out hiking, I'll keep a lookout for some for you.

I'll also have the grandkids looking too.

I got one zucca gourd that is growing pretty big right now, it is 19 inches tall and about 12 inches wide so far and still growing some the plant only had one gourd but it is a big one and looks good for an Old World Santa.. I am hoping to get a couple of regular and warty apple gourds this year.. the minis are doing well, got about a dozen that look like mini swan, dozen that looks like mini bushel and a mini that looks like a mini bottle.. so I'm pretty happy here and they are starting to dry, that is so strange to me, since usually the big ones take forever to dry. These mini guys are already drying and getting lighter.

I love those dreamcatchers, they are beautiful. I'm taking mine to class tomorrow to show it off.

A.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America