Hydromulch query/info on weed control additives in new mulch

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

will this restrict the growth of new plants? am accustomed to bulk purchases. but reduced to a bagged purchase of Schultzes' mulch with weed stop(4 mo) at the local Walmart. My query is will this affect the astors, daylilies,purslane n heather? i pulled it back from the plants, n i create wells in the beds to fill when watering so the tops remain dry, n the roots get soaked, n it was these wells i mulched til they look level. We r having 104 degrees n it is now Aug when most plants burn up. Xeriscaping plants are good ideas here, tho I am in Arlington,TX/ not at home further south(sprained ankle, staying close to Dr)?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi kittriana, the weed control that's in your mulch is a pre-emergent herbicide, so it won't have any harmful effect on plants that are already there (although it's always good not to mulch right up to your plants anyway regardless of the type of mulch you use). It works by preventing weed seeds from germinating, but it will also stop desirable seeds from germinating so if you were hoping to have your plants reseed or were planning on starting seeds directly in the ground it will prevent those seeds from germinating too.

If you want more thoughts on this I'd recommend posting in the beginner gardening or beginner landscaping forums rather than here--this forum is for discussion of the Landscaping.com site that Dave developed so a lot of people might not see your question.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

my memories work slower than the queries i get thrown at me, after i asked, n thanks, your reply triggered those memories. established plants arent affected as much by the stuff used to control weeds as is seeds and struggling new plants. My actual job these last few years has been otr prof driver/trainer and I should add, once again, as i started in 1984 after my dau was old enuff. I'm not quite as flexible at computer as I need to be. but i think I found a great place to ask, as it gave you me for my answer. I'll keep on trying to figure out this website, as I really want my old reference notes, and books back, but like my pictures of previous gardens, yards and 2nd story patios, they reside in storage, n I cant believe there are no cross reference abilities in such a website. thanx, i appreciate ya.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

now, how would i let people know I have my answer? bye

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You can't mark threads solved/closed on this forum--that's something that's only on a few forums like the ID ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.